Subject: Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 11 2006 @ 08:08 AM
By: hdutch007

Content:

I don't see this anywhere else on here, but outpost gallifrey is reporting that the region one dvds have been postponed due to "complications." No new date has been revealed, it seems.

I, for one, am horrified by this, and I am wondering what complications they could be talking about. They should be straight region conversions with exactly the same content as the U.K. editions, correct? Isn't that the new policy? Hate to be the bearer of bad news. Maybe when we get them, they will be even better. Who knows.

Replies:

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 11 2006 @ 10:47 AM
By: tarashnat

Content:

There was a glitch on the region 2 discs. Maybe clearing that up caused other issues. Also, this could be a rights issue. Or a deal for broadcast may be immanent and the potential broadcaster asked for a delay (one can hope Smile ). Who knows what is going on? It wouldn't be the first time there was a major foul up with the DVD line. Web Planet's release in the UK was delayed.

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 11 2006 @ 12:04 PM
By: Mohan

Content:

I sincerely hope that there is a broadcaster in the US (sci-fi network!!!)who wants to pick up the show. I'd be extremely happy to see that. Of course, if there's a technical glitch, that's important to fix too, but I find it surprising that with the DVDs to have been released on 2/14/06 that we're just hearing about this now. Very odd.

I don't know much of how the industry works, but typically with other DVD releases, DVDs are pulled back from release because of a marketing issue: Releasing DVDs closer to a related film coming out in the movies, etc.

I'm hoping that a statement is put out soon. Has anyone written to the BBC and asked them?

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 11 2006 @ 03:59 PM
By: Louis

Content:

This stinks!

Frown

If it is a technical problem with the DVD itself, well, it is better that it is sorted out first before releasing it... but if it is due to other reasons, it just plain stinks.

So much for a Valentine's release... I thought the whole thing tying in with the two hearts worked well too... Wink

Oh well...

Cheers,
Louis

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 11 2006 @ 04:08 PM
By: WarrenPeace

Content:

Is this the new series box set you're talking about?

Maybe it has something to do with the new packaging since that is all that is different.

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 11 2006 @ 04:51 PM

Content:

Maybe they had to fold the discs to fit them in the packaging... Evil

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 11 2006 @ 05:37 PM
By: seanhuxter

Content:

Maybe they TRIED folding all of the discs to make them fit in the packaging.

Sean.

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 11 2006 @ 06:18 PM

Content:

Maybe, they labled them "Dr. Hu".

I had a thermodynamics professor by the name Dr. Hu in college. It was odd that his office was in the nuclear power lab...

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 11 2006 @ 06:22 PM
By: DoctorW

Content:

I really hope it's a technical glitch, because teasing us like that just isn't a good way to run a business.

I'm not too surprised though, because when I checked this past Monday, Amazon still didn't have a release date for it.

Of course, if this means there's a TV deal in the works, that's great. But still, they got the series in Canada, why should they miss out?

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 11 2006 @ 07:34 PM
By: Mohan

Content:

I wrote some feedback to the BBC, asking them why the DVDs aren't be released, but I've not received a reply. Frown

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 12 2006 @ 02:52 AM
By: TiggsPanther

Content:

It's always annoying when release dates get pushed back. At least in this case, though, I'd guess that they know that over-delaying it would be a bad thing. I do have a few possible thoughts on it, though.

* It could easily be a manufacturing glitch, and maybe linked to the R2/R4 problems.

* It's really popular, and well-known amongst long-term and net-savvy fans. It's always possible that pre-orders are reaching/exceeding current manufactured stock. And I'm sure that, pre-orders or not, they want them on the shelves.

* If it is related to a TV deal I can see how this would seem unfair for the Canadian customers but I can also kinda understand a double-delay in this case. They announced the US release after announcing the Canadian one, but are keeping for a simultaneous release date.
If there is a TV-related delay they'll still be wanting both releases at the same time, as I'm pretty sure that they know that otherwise the American fans will just order from over the border. (And I'm guessing that getting DVDs from Canada is easier than from UK/Australia)

And one thought I just had...

* Maybe they had a look at the other Valentines Day releases, and decided that it just wasn't worth contending. (Or couldn't get decent in-store space until after whatever Valentines' promos had passed)

Tiggs

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 12 2006 @ 06:24 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat] Or a deal for broadcast may be immanent and the potential broadcaster asked for a delay (one can hope Smile ). Who knows what is going on? [/QUOTE]
Hey, my suspisions were correct for once...

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 13 2006 @ 02:43 AM
By: TiggsPanther

Content:

What's the latest on the Canadian DVD release? Is that still on for Feb. 14th, or has that actually been held back too?
(I can easily see it going either way)

Tiggs

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 13 2006 @ 03:32 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= TiggsPanther] What's the latest on the Canadian DVD release? Is that still on for Feb. 14th, or has that actually been held back too?
(I can easily see it going either way)

Tiggs[/QUOTE]

According to Cynful456 in the Doctor Who on Sci-Fi thread, the Canada release is still set for the 14th... But when I checked the Amazon Canada online store, there's no listing for it yet. If it is the case, I will buy it from a Canada retailer instead of waiting until July.

Cheers,
Louis

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 13 2006 @ 04:30 AM
By: Dangermouse

Content:

In the Last Post column at the moment for this forum it says:

On: Today at 02:32 AM
Region 1 DVDs delayed

Louis, you should be ashamed of yourself. Delaying the R1 DVD's and spoiling everyones chances of getting them earlier. Wink

Although I just realised - once I post this, it'll be me who is responsible!!! Eek!

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 13 2006 @ 04:48 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Dangermouse] In the Last Post column at the moment for this forum it says:

On: Today at 02:32 AM
Region 1 DVDs delayed

Louis, you should be ashamed of yourself. Delaying the R1 DVD's and spoiling everyones chances of getting them earlier. Wink

Although I just realised - once I post this, it'll be me who is responsible!!! Eek! [/QUOTE]

It wasn't me, I tell you!

Wink

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 13 2006 @ 05:52 AM
By: Dangermouse

Content:

On: Today at 03:48 AM
Region 1 DVDs delayed

AAAAAAH! And you call yourself a fan!

Nice Baron Von Greenback picture by the way!

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 13 2006 @ 10:13 AM
By: K Kochanski

Content:

I am sure that the Sci Fi channel deal is what is delaying the dvd release. I am sure Sci Fi channel doesn't want dvds out there to steal their thunder for the official US release of the show.

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 17 2006 @ 12:47 PM
By: kngfu

Content:

I picked up the entire season on dvd with extras (DW Confidential, Blue Peter, Parkinson interviews) at the MONSTER-MANIA convention in September 05. It was the best 60 bucks I ever spent. The episodes are from BBC Wales and are in digital quality and sound. The extras seem a bit compressed here and there but are awesome to watch if you are not a dvd snob. I still haven't seen them all yet (new baby and new job) but hope to soon.

kngfu71@gmail.com

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 17 2006 @ 07:55 PM

Content:

Question
Are they in 5.1 Digital Dolby or just Dolby Surround sound?

Cheers,
Louis

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 17 2006 @ 08:02 PM

Content:

Sounds like an off air recording or pre-release bootleg.

The official release of the Confidential Cut Downs was with the region 2 box set which came out in November.

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 17 2006 @ 08:10 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
Sounds like an off air recording or pre-release bootleg.

The official release of the Confidential Cut Downs was with the region 2 box set which came out in November.

Taras[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you are probably right... It has to be... The R2 Box set was not released until November 2005 anyway.

Cheers,
Louis

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 18 2006 @ 10:04 AM

Content:

OG is reporting a Canadian Amazon delay for the region 1 new series box set... to March 7.

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 18 2006 @ 11:09 AM

Content:

My copies are total bootlegs, but I bought them in September 05, not knowing when the show would ever be aired in the US. I also don't have cable either.

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 18 2006 @ 01:33 PM

Content:

kngfu,

Do you have the 15 minute Confidential Cut Downs, or the full ones with references to the old series? The official DVD release had the 10-15 minute cut down versions (due to rights issues) which did not include the references to classic (1963-1996) Doctor Who.

Just curious.

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 18 2006 @ 04:35 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
OG is reporting a Canadian Amazon delay for the region 1 new series box set... to March 7.

Taras[/QUOTE]

Eeeek! Eek! Oh, well, it's still better than July 4th I suppose.

Cheers,
Louis

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 18 2006 @ 04:37 PM

Content:

I think this may be due to an unexpected volume of orders... but I'm just speculating.

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 19 2006 @ 12:12 PM

Content:

"Do you have the 15 minute Confidential Cut Downs, or the full ones with references to the old series? The official DVD release had the 10-15 minute cut down versions (due to rights issues) which did not include the references to classic (1963-1996) Doctor Who.

Just curious.

Taras "

My set has the full CONFIDENTIALS with the classic scens and the full soundtrack. It also has interviews with Eccleston and Billy Piper from BLUE PETER and a show called PARKINSON. As well as an interview with Sylvester McCoy from a morning chat show about the new series.

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 19 2006 @ 07:54 PM
By: MikeD

Content:

[QUOTE BY= TiggsPanther] What's the latest on the Canadian DVD release? Is that still on for Feb. 14th, or has that actually been held back too?
(I can easily see it going either way)Tiggs[/QUOTE]

It looks like the Canadian Region 1 release will be delayed by a few weeks so we should see it sometime in March.

Mike
Toronto, Canada

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 19 2006 @ 08:58 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= MikeD] It looks like the Canadian Region 1 release will be delayed by a few weeks so we should see it sometime in March.[/QUOTE]
The delay may just be Amazon. The shops may get it on time. It is possible that Amazon.ca has received way more orders than they originally were expecting. The delay has only been reported for Amazon.ca. One can check with their retailers.

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 20 2006 @ 09:52 AM

Content:

Here is the cover of my bootleg set.

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 23 2006 @ 09:30 PM
By: canadian_saint

Content:

Well Amazon.ca is showing that the release date is back to Feb 14th Confused

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 24 2006 @ 09:27 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= canadian_saint] Well Amazon.ca is showing that the release date is back to Feb 14th Confused [/QUOTE]
Breathing sigh of relief...

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: January 25 2006 @ 02:23 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= canadian_saint] Well Amazon.ca is showing that the release date is back to Feb 14th Confused [/QUOTE]

When Doctor Who: Podshock Episode 22 arrives, we will need to add a correction disclaimer since when we recorded it, Amazon.ca was still reporting a later date.

Oh well, it's good news nonetheless.

Cheers,
Louis

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 09 2006 @ 07:54 AM

Content:

Who NA has got the region 1 DVDs available for pre-order.

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 11 2006 @ 03:17 PM

Content:

I am guessing it is the Canadian version...

Is it around $100?

Cheers,
Louis

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 11 2006 @ 06:30 PM

Content:

Eighty greenbacks, or $79.95 for those who want to keep their wooden nickels! Smile

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 12 2006 @ 02:50 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
Eighty greenbacks, or $79.95 for those who want to keep their wooden nickels! Smile

Taras[/QUOTE]

Actually, that is not bad... I think that is cheaper than getting it from the Amazon Canada store...

Oh well, I had already pre-ordered it.

Cheers,
Louis

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 12 2006 @ 10:02 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] Actually, that is not bad... I think that is cheaper than getting it from the Amazon Canada store...

Oh well, I had already pre-ordered it.

Cheers,
Louis
[/QUOTE]
ditto here as well, and I usually order from WhoNA nowadays... as they usually don't mark something as available unless they have it, or are sure to get stock in within a short time (like DVDs with a hard release date). And they seem to have the best prices in the US.

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 12 2006 @ 01:19 PM

Content:

I also have to say that I have been impressed with the shipping time from WhoNA... My recent orders were delivered incredibly fast. I think the last shipment arrived at my door before I completed my order Wink .

Cheers,
Louis

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 12 2006 @ 04:17 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]
I also have to say that I have been impressed with the shipping time from WhoNA... My recent orders were delivered incredibly fast. I think the last shipment arrived at my door before I completed my order Wink .
[/QUOTE]
Not only that, but they usually have the best prices...

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 13 2006 @ 11:43 AM

Content:

WhoNA is listing the region 1 DVDs of the new series as in stock.

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 13 2006 @ 02:31 PM
By: WarrenPeace

Content:

Has anyone here bought something from WhoNA from Canada? I'm just wondering how bad the shipping rates are since they don't list them on the page?

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 17 2006 @ 12:06 PM

Content:

My Amazon.ca order appears to have shipped... waiting with baited breath.

WhoNA has sold out of their first batch of the DVDs.

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 17 2006 @ 01:16 PM

Content:

Anyone else had problems buying it from the shops. Every one Ive been in hasn't got it yet

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 17 2006 @ 01:19 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= canadian_saint] Anyone else had problems buying it from the shops. Every one Ive been in hasn't got it yet[/QUOTE]
Have those Canadian shops not gotten them in yet, or have they sold out?

Taras

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 17 2006 @ 01:48 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
My Amazon.ca order appears to have shipped... waiting with baited breath.

WhoNA has sold out of their first batch of the DVDs.

Taras[/QUOTE]

Mine has been shipped as well. (From Amazon.ca)

Goodie!

Cheers,
Louis

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 17 2006 @ 10:40 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat] br>Have those Canadian shops not gotten them in yet, or have they sold out?

Taras[/QUOTE]

The one I went in hadn't eevn got it in yet

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 18 2006 @ 01:49 AM
By: psibob

Content:

I got my boxed set of Series One from WhoNA a couple of days ago and I have only watched part of it but it is fantastic. I like the way the episode selection and features choices are presented. The console is very cool. I like the way the DVD box unfolds to reveal the DVDs. I also liked the plastic slip cover. The photo of the Doctor and Rose is on the plastic and not on the TARDIS itself. I'm going to watch more of the DVD's this weekend.

psibob

Region 1 DVDs delayed

Posted on: February 24 2006 @ 01:09 AM
By: Jabberwocky

Content:

I haven't seen it in stores yet, but I got my copy from Amazon.ca

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=1010