Subject: Torchwood (E12+13) Series Final (Spoilers!)

Posted on: January 01 2007 @ 06:25 PM
By: daveac

Content:

NO spoilers in this post but there will be so stay away if you don't want to know!

For now - really good climax to the series. Both episodes should be watched back-to-back.

Get on that red-eye flight now.

Oh - just one spoiler please - all right then

listen carefully at the very end Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

Replies:

Torchwood (E12 + 13) Series Final (Spoilers!)

Posted on: January 01 2007 @ 06:40 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac]Oh - just one spoiler please - all right then

Cheers, daveac[/QUOTE]

What - you want another spoiler.

All right but not a really big one?
OK.
Who's this Jacks meeting?
here

Cheers, daveac

Torchwood (E12+13) Series Final (Spoilers!)

Posted on: June 09 2007 @ 07:40 PM
By: Louis

Content:

[QUOTE BY= merlin_mccarley] Yes there were Declessifieds for the final 2 eps. Let me know if you can't get a Timeflight ticket Wink .[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I see flights available... I am just scratching my head on whether or not I already took this trip or not. Perhaps I will take both flights again... just to be sure. Wink

I was just doing some housekeeping today and didn't see any evidence of taking those trips... so perhaps I thought they did not produce these two episodes as I don't think they were transmitted on their regular schedule at the time...

Cheers,
Louis

Torchwood (E12 + 13) Series Final (Spoilers!)

Posted on: January 01 2007 @ 06:55 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac]

What - you want another spoiler.
Cheers, daveac
[/QUOTE]

OK - one last - sort of spoiler.

And if you don't want them you are on the wrong thread!

More of a pointer this time to the theme of Episode 13 'End of Days' :-

Think

Buffy
Series 5
The Gift

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 01 2007 @ 07:45 PM
By: Kitsun3

Content:

See now, that's just torture... no flights are available to me yet. Cry

Posted on: January 02 2007 @ 01:51 AM
By: tarashnat

Content:

Dave,

I will not get back at you by talking about The Sarah Jane Adventures... Twisted Evil

Taras

Posted on: January 02 2007 @ 02:50 AM
By: President Nice

Content:

Loved both episodes right up until the last ten minutes of the second half.
What an awful, awful, deus ex machina ending.
Now I'm am one of the few people who hated The Impossoble Planet/Satan Pit. I thought that was one of the worst Who stories ever, not quite the worst (stand up Horns of Nimon) but down low there. This was similar.
Shame really as I enjoyed everything except the "baddie" and it's defeat. Easily the best two episodes of the series otherwise. That said they should have maybe introduced Bilson Manger earlier in the run. As it was he seemed crowbarred in at the last minute.

Posted on: January 02 2007 @ 12:07 PM
By: merlin_mccarley

Content:

Well here we are the end of series 1. Now we have a Rift manulipator and we know that the Hand was a Doctor Detector. Having trouble with the whole "Owen = Alpha Male" thing, but I do like the fact that Ianto Shot him Wink . Will post after a rewatch as I am feeling a bit under the wheather.

Owen as second in command? When did this happen?

Cheers,
Mike M.

Posted on: January 02 2007 @ 02:38 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

Yeah, great stuff for 1h50m, but what a muddled mess at the end!

Another Satan? Why? Makes absolutely no sense that the Rift was the "home" of Satan—or any creature for that matter. It was better as just a rift. I honestly thought the whole way through that Bilis was going to reveal himself as the Master, who, having stumbled across the time/space rift, was now using it for his own purposes. Thus, when the TARDIS shows up at the end, we'd have had a neat little mystery to solve throughout the next series of Who. Now we have only the "curiosity" of what happened to Jack. I suppose Bilis could still be the Master (or at the very least still have an interesting mystery to unravel), but the monster at the end was a wholly unsatisfactory "trick" to pull on us.

I totally agree that Bilis should've been in this thing from the start—the elusive figure in the background throughout most of the episodes.

Posted on: January 02 2007 @ 03:46 PM

Content:

Funnily enough I was trying to rearrange the letters in "Bilson Manger" to make Master (or any thing else) as soon as I saw it. Maybe that was a clever bit of misdirection?
Well, clever-ish...

Posted on: January 02 2007 @ 04:37 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= President Nice] Funnily enough I was trying to rearrange the letters in "Bilson Manger" to make Master (or any thing else) as soon as I saw it. Maybe that was a clever bit of misdirection?
Well, clever-ish...[/QUOTE]

On the door of the building was a 'Vote Saxon' notice - I'm sure on some forum they were saying 'saxon' is this years 'Bad Wolf'

Anyone?

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 02 2007 @ 04:39 PM
By: helo_75

Content:

Loved it!

theres been a lot of issues made in 'other' forums about rtd's insistence on forcing the gay issue in every episode!

its not something i have a problem with, although i did think that the fake captain jacks tonsil-tennis session with the real captain jack was maybe a little over the top.. especially after he'd encouraged him to chase after that bird!
thing is, i suppose he must have already been there or there abouts, because he just knew too much about him, so realistically, he must have been there twice (if that makes sence)

several points to make however

1 > the doctor must have came back for captain jack, not his hand.. cos it was still there, right at the side of gwen afterwards.. so what does he want him for? maybe this bilsen bloke has come across the doctor at some point, or rather the doctor has come across bilsen?

2> how could bilsen possibly have known ANYTHING about the torchwood teams personal lives? how could anyone have known about owens fling with diane? or gwen ? or even about ianto and his cyber bird? and since he was 'there' when, as mentioned before, the two jacks were snoggin for england, didnt he send the real jack to play on the fake jacks emotions?

3> a monster hiding under the rift? bit far fetched that one , how did he hide under there?

4> why Do the people of cardiff always have to be carrying their shopping bags when theyre running in fear of their lives?

will be interesting to see what timeline has been followed with the doctor arriving - it obviously has to be after doomsday, and rose will be gone (what will jack make of 2 people hes never actually seen before)

cant wait for series 2 - jacks gotta go back AFTER his adventures in season 3 of DW (alhough the time difference in TW could be minutes....)

hmm.. bring it all on.. i cant wait

Posted on: January 02 2007 @ 04:45 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac]
On the door of the building was a 'Vote Saxon' notice - I'm sure on some forum they were saying 'saxon' is this years 'Bad Wolf'

Anyone?
Cheers, daveac[/QUOTE]

Talking of Bad Wolf - anyone notice this? :-

here

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 02 2007 @ 04:53 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

My problems with the "beast" aside, it was a very enjoyable 2 hours of television. So much good went on here, from the obvious to the subtle. Dramatically rich, but thus-far sadly unusual, pairings of Jack/Tosh and Ianto/Owen, the Jack backstory, the "Doctor detector", the fruition of all the romantic "lies" that had been told between cast members, the anger of virtually everyone over Jack's identity—there was a lot of meat here to chew on. But there were also some subtle things here that were neat to catch, like the Bad Wolf graffiti, the at-last-onscreen Scully and Muldur reference, and the "Vote for Saxon" bills.

Some people over at Outpost Gallifrey have had the very neat idea that if "Abaddon" had simply been a growing shadow, that it would have been far more effective. And I have to agree. It's not the idea of Jack standing up to an all-consuming evil that's so egregious. It really is just that it's a monster at the core of the Rift. Torchwood turns to Godzilla for three climatic minutes, when a shadow would have kept it firmly in the realm of the mysterious.

Posted on: January 02 2007 @ 07:59 PM
By: mindless

Content:

[QUOTE]Another Satan? Why? Makes absolutely no sense that the Rift was the "home" of Satan—or any creature for that matter.[/QUOTE]

yes i completely agree about the monster. was awful, and a shame as everything prior to that was excellent! i was seriously expecting there to be something a bit more sinister and exciting behind the rift than a giant monster with two horns and sharp teeth.

[QUOTE] It was better as just a rift. I honestly thought the whole way through that Bilis was going to reveal himself as the Master, who, having stumbled across the time/space rift, was now using it for his own purposes. [/QUOTE]

i liked billis actually! would be happy to see his return in doctor who, and his character i think would've made a brilliant master.

still, despite the awful monster i thought it ended well with jack disapearing and links it nicely with the forthcoming series of doctor who.

Posted on: January 02 2007 @ 08:21 PM
By: actorguy

Content:

[QUOTE BY= President Nice] Funnily enough I was trying to rearrange the letters in "Bilson Manger" to make Master (or any thing else) as soon as I saw it. Maybe that was a clever bit of misdirection?
Well, clever-ish...[/QUOTE]

Someone pointed out on a mailing list of mine that it spells out "Grim Lesbian!" :-)

Pat

Posted on: January 03 2007 @ 10:59 AM

Content:

Bilis was a great character. Too bad that in the end he was wasted being a minion instead of the mastermind. The demon Abaddon would have been ok, if there was some clue as to his existence in what we had seen so far. I don't remember seeing anything through the course of the series run that even hinted at a demon being buried in the rift. This is the worst form of deus ex machina that is the bane of drama.

Yes, I caught the Bad Wolf graffiti in the Ritz as well.

Taras

Posted on: January 03 2007 @ 11:28 AM
By: Abersoch

Content:

[QUOTE BY= actorguy] Someone pointed out on a mailing list of mine that it spells out "Grim Lesbian!" :-)[/QUOTE]

Ahh - now it all makes sense. Twisted Evil

Posted on: January 03 2007 @ 11:34 AM
By: mad4plaid

Content:

So what was Jack thanking Gwen for at the end? The kiss that woke him like Sleeping Beauty, or for waiting just long enough?

Loved how the Tardis came and swept him away. That really got my anticipation of the final few Doctor Who's for this year.... And really, when Jack heard the Tardis, it was the happiest we'd seen him all dang year!

Posted on: January 03 2007 @ 12:49 PM

Content:

Murray Melvin was absolutly wonderful as Bilis Manger-

And shame on them if they wasted him on a two part series final with no plans of bring him back.

Is it just me or did he tickle any of your Hartnell Look Alike nodes as well?
Steel eyed older gent, polite to the point of rudeness, and the immeadite
sense that this guy knows much more than the principal characters.
Oh so many possibilities, please we beg you Don't Waste this Character.

Cheers,
Mike M.

Posted on: January 03 2007 @ 12:59 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid] So what was Jack thanking Gwen for at the end? The kiss that woke him like Sleeping Beauty, or for waiting just long enough?[/QUOTE]
Well, Gwen was able to give Suzie life, so it is possible just a spark from her was enough to get Jack back from the nothingness.

Taras

Posted on: January 03 2007 @ 01:19 PM
By: rocko

Content:

Also loved these episodes. Wasn't Abbadon the same demon as in the Satan Pit? Just with more flesh on his bones. Bilis says something like, "Imprisoned since before time, entombed in stone". Maybe the ancients locked away more than one demon?? I suppose something like the rift would allow one to escape a black hole, wouldn't it? Anyway, that's how I saw it.

I also thought that Bilis might end up being a Timelord, or specifically the Master. His actions were definitely consistent with something the Master would do.

I imagine the Doctor or instruments in the TARDIS would have noticed the rift's opening up like that, and my take on the ending is that he came around to see what was going on. I expect that will take place sometime in Series 3 of DW.

Well, with Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures, and Doctor Who all on hiatus, I don't know what I'm going to watch! I guess Heroes will have to keep me occupied...

Posted on: January 03 2007 @ 01:25 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= merlin_mccarley]

Cheers,
Mike M.[/QUOTE]

He reminded me of the character in Buffy Season 5 'The Gift' even to the point of using a knife (attacking Spike in Buffy)

As to the actor - I've not seen him since the Sixties.

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 03 2007 @ 01:28 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid] So what was Jack thanking Gwen for at the end? The kiss that woke him like Sleeping Beauty, or for waiting just long enough?
[/QUOTE]

She could still have had some of that 'life energy' Captain Jack gave her in an earlier episode.

Would have worked better if we could have seen the kiss from a better angle - to see if there was an 'energy glow' between them.

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 03 2007 @ 01:30 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= rocko] Also loved these episodes. Wasn't Abbadon the same demon as in the Satan Pit? Just with more flesh on his bones. Bilis says something like, "Imprisoned since before time, entombed in stone". Maybe the ancients locked away more than one demon?? [/QUOTE]

He also said 'son of Satan' - ie son of the Satan from 'The Satan Pit'

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 03 2007 @ 02:11 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac] [QUOTE BY= merlin_mccarley]

Cheers,
Mike M.[/QUOTE]

He reminded me of the character in Buffy Season 5 'The Gift' even to the point of using a knife (attacking Spike in Buffy)

Cheers, daveac[/QUOTE]

He did give me Hartnell thoughts. At first, I thought maybe he was supposed to be the first Doctor somehow, and that they were about to blow apart the canon.

Daveac, I see your point about the Gift dudes as well.

Posted on: January 03 2007 @ 11:25 PM
By: Mawdryn

Content:

I loved the emotional intensity of these two episodes. From shootings to verbal digs, it had a little bit of everything. The monster was a bit disappointing. Maybe it was a distant cousin of the Beast.

I wasn't able to watch it all in one sitting so I kept thinking about where things would go. I thought that Jack would survive but lose the ability to be immortal. Early on I thought that Owen would be fired from Torchwood but later Jack would wipe his memory and then rehire him. That would have made for an awkward workplace!

All in all, a strong finish for Torchwood. For me this season was hot or cold but overall I'm glad that I watched. When the show clicks it's very good and I hope it will build upon this year's strengths for season 2.

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 02:34 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac]

Cheers, daveac[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken he was in a Jonathon Creek Christmas Special a few years back.

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 03:57 AM
By: nichnet

Content:

I was under the impression that when we see Capt Jack in Season 3, we would see him not long after Parting of the Ways, and possibly see him hook up with Torchwood.

But, after thinking about the end of Torchwood series one and how Capt. Jack had kept the hand and telling Gwen he was looking for a Doctor (among other things we learned during the season), that's obviously not going to happen...

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 08:29 AM
By: Archie

Content:

Wow you guys have good eyes. I missed the Badwolf in the background. Well done Daveac and you others.

Loved these two episodes although the monster was, well just a monster. Rather been there and done that. Mind you if I had been in Cardiff that day and seen a bloody huge monster looming over the city stealing people's life force through it's mear presence I wouldn't be so casual. I did love the fact that simply the shadow of the beast could take a life. Clever touch.

The office politics in that office are incredible. Makes my office seem very tame (as faras I can remember no one has shot anyone over a policy decision!) My wife and I are still debating whether Jack was overreacting by sacking Owen. I think the timing was questionable however Owen had just cause a really big problem and arguably should have been thrown in a holding cell never mind sacked.

I liked that the villan wasn't shown to be a villan too early on so we were left wondering whether people should open the rift or not.

As to the beast being buried in the ground - well where else would you bury a creature like that if you finally managed to defeat it?

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 08:00 PM
By: Magpie

Content:

wow wow wow! episode 13 was a real nailbiter! I'd been left a little deflated by episode 12 - which was good, but didn't really *grab* me. Then watching 13 - fantatic! When I saw the monster I let out a pffft and chuckled, but the killer shadow made up for it - and the Tardis at the very end - gave me chills! Woo hoo!

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 10:24 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical] Yeah, great stuff for 1h50m, but what a muddled mess at the end!

Another Satan? Why? Makes absolutely no sense that the Rift was the "home" of Satan—or any creature for that matter. ...[/QUOTE]

Agreed. When I first saw it, during the coming attractions, I figured it was the same beast we saw in The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit... I was surprised and disappointed that we have another one here living in this rift.

I also don't understand how Captain Jack got it's attention at the end. It didn't look like it was anywhere near him as Jack was in an open field and it was rampaging through town at the time... yet from what looked like a mile away or so, he as able to call its attention to himself. Not only that but somehow lured the creature to him.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 10:33 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= helo_75] ...

theres been a lot of issues made in 'other' forums about rtd's insistence on forcing the gay issue in every episode!

[/QUOTE]

"In every episode?" -- Hardly. It is more like forcing the straight issue in every episode. In all, there really hasn't been much at all in this series. It is about time that Jack had something to do and express some feeling for a change.. as so much of this series he has been wooden (and not in a good way) and devoid of feeling and passion.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 10:34 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac] [QUOTE BY= daveac]

Anyone?
Cheers, daveac[/QUOTE]

Talking of Bad Wolf - anyone notice this? :-

Cheers, daveac[/QUOTE]

Wow. No, I hadn't noticed it. But I only seen the episode once.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 10:44 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid] So what was Jack thanking Gwen for at the end? The kiss that woke him like Sleeping Beauty, or for waiting just long enough?

Loved how the Tardis came and swept him away. That really got my anticipation of the final few Doctor Who's for this year.... And really, when Jack heard the Tardis, it was the happiest we'd seen him all dang year![/QUOTE]

I took it to mean thanks for waiting so long... though I wonder if he has any sense of how much time has passed while he was "dead" so now in hindsight, I am not too sure. But my first impression was that he was thanking her for her patience and perseverance.

Yeah the TARDIS sound was kind of timely as he just mentioned that the only one that would had made a difference to him would be "the right kind of doctor."

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 11:22 PM
By: seanhuxter

Content:

Wow. So much to say about this pair of episodes.

This is some of the deepest emotional writing I've seen on TV in years, not quite rivalling "Father's Day" and Eccleston's finales, but damned close.

Wow. I mean this was a gripping two hours (thereabouts) of TV. Too bad it can never air in the US (without some huge editing).

Loved episode 12. Bilis is awesome. My first impression was of William Hartnell and Peter Cushing. I was definitely convinced (egged on a bit by a particular coat rack in his shop) that he was a Time Lord if not the Doctor in a later regeneration.

He was amazing. All the time pieces... it was very much like a Time Lord. Perhaps he is. And yes, I did consider he might be the Master, once he turned all evil.

As for the evil creature, I thought it made perfect sense in light of "The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit". It makes sense that if one huge demonic-like creature was in the basement of a planet holding back a black hole, that another one could be under the Rift in Cardiff kept there like his brother, trying to get out through the rift.

He was definitely the same type of creature, but as Louis pointed out, he had a bit more flesh on his bones. (A younger brother perhaps?)

Jack knows something about Gwen. When he went off to face the demon, he chose Gwen to accompany him. Just Gwen. No one else would do. And she stayed while he recovered.

I loved the TARDIS showing up at the end. I guess it means the first episode of "Doctor Who" Series Three is going to have to start with Jack, rather than him coming in mid-season as a walk-on.

I hope it means Bilis will have to be part of the next season's Doctor Who arc.

Wow. What didn't I love about this pair of episodes? Not much. I even liked the "Scully and Mulder" reference.

Loved Rhys dying even though she took him away from home.

If I had any problem with the creature it was his seemingly changing scale in relation to his surroundings. Loved the buildings that just collapsed when he walked near them.

Wow. Loved it. I thought Tosh's look when the two Jacks kissed was quite good, and reflected a view that RTD wishes the rest of the world shared, but sadly too many don't.

And wow, did Tosh ever look good in this episode. Meanwhile Gwen was made to look her worst.

I could go on all night, but I won't... must restrain...

Now I just can't wait for the next season.

Sean.

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 11:29 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= seanhuxter] ...

Loved episode 12. Bilis is awesome. My first impression was of William Hartnell and Peter Cushing. I was definitely convinced (egged on a bit by a particular coat rack in his shop) that he was a Time Lord if not the Doctor in a later regeneration.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, I was focusing in on that coat rack as well. I was just shrugging it off as a bit of coincidence and didn't read all that much into it... but I guess I have to say, "Hmm...." now.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 11:42 PM

Content:

It seemed imediate to me that that was a possibility. He just has the look and attitude of a Time Lord.
And the Grandfather clock in the office seemed to indicate it to me as well. Master or Doctor or whatever
this is finally another villan that might be an equal to the Doctor. And I never thought these words would
ever come from me, but I missed the rack entirely.

Posted on: January 04 2007 @ 11:51 PM
By: mindless

Content:

i doubt it would be the doctor. for instance, the cold blooded murder of reese, the tampering of tosh's note - hardly the doctors style. maybe another valeyard type of thing, but i can't imagine that idea being used again either.

i really wish RTD would realise his potential and bring him back in a new series of who, but knowing him he'll probably be more content in giving us phil mitchell in a mr peanut costume or something.

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 08:14 AM
By: Archie

Content:

I'd rather not have another Time Lord around. Space is pretty big with plenty of other baddies to invent or choose from. We had the Master in Doctor Who - let's go somewhere different in Torchwood.

Bilis was certainly a great character and down right creepy. A return would be most welcome but I hope his origins aren't Gallifreyan.

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 09:06 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= seanhuxter] I loved the TARDIS showing up at the end. I guess it means the first episode of "Doctor Who" Series Three is going to have to start with Jack, rather than him coming in mid-season as a walk-on.

Sean.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, it still makes sense to me having Jack join the Doctor in the 11th episode. Time is relative, afterall - the Doctor is certainly NOT your human linear thinker afterall. I'm sure it will all make sense when we learn why the Doctor has come for Jack.

Back to the Shadow and Jack killing it: I've leant my DVD of the 9th Doctor to a friend, so I couldn't check this out. What did the Doctor say about leaving Jack in the future at Parting of the Ways? He was needed to save the world? fix things on earth? what was it? It's been a few months/a year since I've seen it, so in my mind I keep thinking maybe the Doctor meant he was needed to stop this beast, but perhaps the Doctor didn't know "when" Jack had to stop the beast? Someone needs to correct my memory on the end of Parting of the Ways (I'd ask my friend for the DVDs back, but then I know I'd never get him to see the series)

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 09:35 AM
By: rocko

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] I also don't understand how Captain Jack got it's attention at the end. It didn't look like it was anywhere near him as Jack was in an open field and it was rampaging through town at the time... yet from what looked like a mile away or so, he as able to call its attention to himself. Not only that but somehow lured the creature to him.[/QUOTE]

As Jack said, "If it feeds on life energy, I should look like a feast." I think Jack probably looked like a beacon of life energy to the beast, even from so far away.

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 10:25 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= rocko]As Jack said, "If it feeds on life energy, I should look like a feast." I think Jack probably looked like a beacon of life energy to the beast, even from so far away.[/QUOTE]
He looked like an all you can eat buffet to a chronic over eater!

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 01:14 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat] [QUOTE BY= rocko]As Jack said, "If it feeds on life energy, I should look like a feast." I think Jack probably looked like a beacon of life energy to the beast, even from so far away.[/QUOTE]
He looked like an all you can eat buffet to a chronic over eater![/QUOTE]

Yeah, but how would the beast creature know about it... from the outside, Jack looks like any other human being in Cardiff... I guess the beasty can sense energy or something....

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 01:16 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]
Actually, it still makes sense to me having Jack join the Doctor in the 11th episode. Time is relative, afterall - the Doctor is certainly NOT your human linear thinker afterall. I'm sure it will all make sense when we learn why the Doctor has come for Jack.

Back to the Shadow and Jack killing it: I've leant my DVD of the 9th Doctor to a friend, so I couldn't check this out. What did the Doctor say about leaving Jack in the future at Parting of the Ways? He was needed to save the world? fix things on earth? what was it? It's been a few months/a year since I've seen it, so in my mind I keep thinking maybe the Doctor meant he was needed to stop this beast, but perhaps the Doctor didn't know "when" Jack had to stop the beast? Someone needs to correct my memory on the end of Parting of the Ways (I'd ask my friend for the DVDs back, but then I know I'd never get him to see the series)[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that comment made in the Children in Need mini-episode?

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 03:10 PM
By: Dr. Hoo

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]

[/QUOTE]

Yes when the 10th Doctor started convulsing Rose suggested they go back for Captain Jack because "he'd know what to do". The Doctor replied "He's busy! Rebuilding the earth" which I took to mean in the future after the Daleks were defeated or just rambling on the Doctor's part because his mental faculties weren't all there yet.

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 03:28 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Dr. Hoo] [QUOTE BY= Louis]

[/QUOTE]

Yes when the 10th Doctor started convulsing Rose suggested they go back for Captain Jack because "he'd know what to do". The Doctor replied "He's busy! Rebuilding the earth" which I took to mean in the future after the Daleks were defeated or just rambling on the Doctor's part because his mental faculties weren't all there yet.[/QUOTE]

I just couldn't remember where that was... thanks guys. And I was definitely reading too much into it!

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 06:10 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]Yeah, but how would the beast creature know about it... from the outside, Jack looks like any other human being in Cardiff... I guess the beasty can sense energy or something....

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

The same way the Santas knew where the Doctor was is my guess. Like a moth to a flame or a butterfly to a flower the creature could see Jack miles away from the intensity of his very life essence.

Sean.

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 06:12 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]Wasn't that comment made in the Children in Need mini-episode?[/QUOTE]
Yes, and badly done. Of all the things I liked about that six minutes of television, that off-hand comment was the stupidest thing the Doctor could have said.

Showed no concern for Jack, and kind of just left him abandoned in the past somewhere. Not to mention how does the Doctor even know Rose brought him back to life? That comment shows he knew she did, but how did he know?

And for that matter, how did he know Jack was doing ANYTHING like rebuilding the Earth? It was a comment that should have been left out, or given more time to expand upon.

As it was, it just didn't work.

Sean.

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 06:56 PM
By: Linquel

Content:

I haven't watched the finale yet (haven't watched Combat yet, for that matter) so I haven't read through this thread. I'm just curious. Is there actual episode titles for eps 12 and 13? Or is it just "Series Final"?

Posted on: January 05 2007 @ 07:05 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Linquel] I haven't watched the finale yet (haven't watched Combat yet, for that matter) so I haven't read through this thread. I'm just curious. Is there actual episode titles for eps 12 and 13? Or is it just "Series Final"?[/QUOTE]
12—Captain Jack Harkness
13—End of Days

Posted on: January 06 2007 @ 08:51 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat] [QUOTE BY= Linquel] I haven't watched the finale yet (haven't watched Combat yet, for that matter) so I haven't read through this thread. I'm just curious. Is there actual episode titles for eps 12 and 13? Or is it just "Series Final"?[/QUOTE]
12—Captain Jack Harkness
13—End of Days[/QUOTE]

I started this thread as a joint 'Epi 12 and 13' as I thought that they were if fact a 'double-episode' story final - but if others want to start threads for each story as well I'm sure many members will contribute.

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 07 2007 @ 06:28 PM

Content:

I sincerely apologize to anyone who really liked this finale, but that was just staggeringly bad. I'll read through the thread now, but I honestly think I'm done with this show. I'll save my red eye airfare for something else.

Frown

Posted on: January 07 2007 @ 08:02 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= seanhuxter]

He was amazing. All the time pieces... it was very much like a Time Lord. Perhaps he is. And yes, I did consider he might be the Master, once he turned all evil.
[/QUOTE]

Well, we only heard a TARDIS. It may not have been the Doctor's TARDIS. Maybe the hand was just reacting to another Time Lord coming.

Posted on: January 07 2007 @ 11:26 PM

Content:

Let me ask you a serious question:

You don't really believe that, do you?

Sean.

Posted on: January 08 2007 @ 09:47 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= seanhuxter] Let me ask you a serious question:

Sean.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I believe that possibility as much as I believe it was the Doctor. The only thing that could make the Doctor idea more probable is the hand. But then, as someone noted...he didn't take the hand with for disposal or anything.

Posted on: January 08 2007 @ 10:03 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Linquel] [QUOTE BY= seanhuxter] Let me ask you a serious question:

Sean.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I believe that possibility as much as I believe it was the Doctor. The only thing that could make the Doctor idea more probable is the hand. But then, as someone noted...he didn't take the hand with for disposal or anything.[/QUOTE]

Why would he? He doesn't need the hand, he's got a "fightin' hand now." And I can't imagine that it was the hand that brought the Doctor, so he probably doesn't even know about its existence.

Posted on: January 08 2007 @ 04:24 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]
Why would he? He doesn't need the hand, he's got a "fightin' hand now." And I can't imagine that it was the hand that brought the Doctor, so he probably doesn't even know about its existence.[/QUOTE]

If anything brought him to Cardiff it would have been the openning of the Rift rather than the hand.

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 08 2007 @ 05:36 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac]
If anything brought him to Cardiff it would have been the openning of the Rift rather than the hand.

Cheers, daveac[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute... the above assumes he has actually left Cardiff. You mean the Doctor may actually leave Cardiff?? Wink Hmm... OK, we know at least one or two stories in the next series are set outside of Cardiff... still on Earth, but at least outside of Cardiff. Smile

Kidding aside, perhaps he encounters Bulis Manger himself and somehow that leads him back to Torchwood's Cardiff branch.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: January 09 2007 @ 08:47 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= daveac]

Cheers, daveac[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute... the above assumes he has actually left Cardiff. You mean the Doctor may actually leave Cardiff?? Wink Hmm... OK, we know at least one or two stories in the next series are set outside of Cardiff... still on Earth, but at least outside of Cardiff. Smile

Kidding aside, perhaps he encounters Bulis Manger himself and somehow that leads him back to Torchwood's Cardiff branch.

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Whatever else - the Tardis - sorry! 'A Tardis' grinding sound certainly gave the end of the series a real high - for Dr Who Series 3 if nothing else.

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 15 2007 @ 05:30 PM
By: capricorn1

Content:

Right - I'm finally up to date with these episodes!!! Big Grin

On the whole I enjoyed both episodes

What I didn't like - I'm a big boy, I understand the gay references, not my choice but live and let live. However, I found 'the two captains' rather clumsy. It was the 1940's so I'm sure two men dancing together would attract an immediate beating at the very least - kissing in public would probably have got them shot! It was out of place and out of context - unless next series we find out the original Captain Jack is still alive as he was arrested next morning for his dishonourable actions the night before - but I doubt we'll see such a twist.

Unfortunately despite trying to avoid spoilers at all costs I did read two things that spoiled the end of this:-

1) I read on another forum that 'Captain went missing'
2) In the latest Dr Who Magazine I avoided all the Torchwood articles but inadvertently read and article that said ".. you would of heard the sound of the TARDIS in The Hub" Therefore I found it really hard to get excited by this - had I not read this spoiler I would have been bouncing off the walls!!

I'll post more tomorrow when I've slept on it!

Posted on: January 15 2007 @ 05:43 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= capricorn1] It was the 1940's so I'm sure two men dancing together would attract an immediate beating at the very least - kissing in public would probably have got them shot![/QUOTE]

That was one of the things that made me not like this episode. I was thinking to myself, "Great. He didn't get shot down over Germany anymore. He was beaten to death in a dancehall." Having the original Cpt. Jack turn out to be gay isn't what bothered me. How they handled it is.

Posted on: February 20 2007 @ 10:21 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Linquel]Well, we only heard a TARDIS. It may not have been the Doctor's TARDIS. Maybe the hand was just reacting to another Time Lord coming.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Colin, for supporting my theory in the latest Podshock.

Mr. Green

Posted on: June 09 2007 @ 02:54 PM

Content:

Were there ever a Torchwood Declassified episodes reflecting the last two episodes of the series? For those that may not know or remember, the Declassified series is the Doctor Who: Confidential version for the Torchwood series...

If you recall, they transmitted Series 1 episodes 12 and 13 back to back... but I don't recall ever seeing the companion Declassified episode(s) for them.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: June 09 2007 @ 03:14 PM

Content:

Yes there were Declessifieds for the final 2 eps. Let me know if you can't get a Timeflight ticket Wink .

Posted on: January 13 2008 @ 11:35 AM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

I actually watched these 2 episodes today for the first time;

I loved and disliked all at the same time.

I don't think anything has ever left me confused like Torchwood has. I don't mean I don't understand the plots (although thats sometimes been the case), I mean confused in sense that I don't know if it's brilliant or ridiculous. The whole of series 1 (to me at least) is like a fundamentally flawed masterpiece. This seems to be summed by the fact that seeing these two episodes this morning has left me thoroughly entertained, and I'd happily watch another couple of episodes right now, but the actual program finished a year ago, the DVDs have been out for months, and until I saw the trailers for series 2 I've had zero desire to sit down and see the conclusion of series 1. Go figure.

It's brilliant in the sense that it just LOOKS so good, it's sharp, snazzy, witty, Gwen and Tosh are both delicious (apologies if anyone feels that totally irrelevant), it's got great toys, they've got a great base (I love that Tube Station set up) and great characters (including the ever troublesome and devious Owen).

To counter balance that, some of the stories just don't ring true (to the point where it's put me off), and Captain Jack is nowhere as likeable in this as he is in Doctor Who.

I've not read this thread in word for word form, but I thought the initial appearance of Abaddon was visually stunning. & I really hope to see Bilis Manger again.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=10475