Subject: WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 07 2007 @ 05:12 PM
By: tarashnat

Content:

Hey, it looks like WLIW is picking up series one of Doctor Who according to This Week in Doctor Who. When's the next Gallifreyan Embassy pledge drive night?

List of stations who have picked up the new series of Doctor Who:

WLIW 21 Garden, NY (New York City and Long Island)

Idaho Public TV (serving all of Idaho and the Spokane, WA TV market)

WTTW 11 Chicago IL

KTEH 54/KCAH 25 San Jose/Watsonville CA

KBTC 28/KCKA 15 Tacoma/Centralia WA

WCET 48 Cincinnati OH

WILL 12 Champaign-Urbana IL

Taras

Replies:

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 07 2007 @ 11:24 PM
By: Louis

Content:

Wow. They are? Cool.

I wonder if WLIW still does their pledge drives "in house" -- that is I noticed a recent trend of local PBS stations now farming out their pledge drives. So they are actually prerecorded at a generic PBS studio using a toll-free number for viewers to call in, but the on-air 'talent' during the pledges won't mention any call letters or station number... so that it can be used in multiple markets.

I haven't caught any recent pledge drives on WLIW recently so I am not sure what they are doing. If they do indeed still do it locally, we can organize a pledge drive (if they would have us back that is - LOL).

Cheers,
Louis

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 08 2007 @ 02:01 AM
By: capricorn1

Content:

For us non-US types can you explain what (in this context) a pledge drive is - I've got a fairly good idea - viewers pledge so much money so the station can buy the rights to air the show - but it would be nice to have it clarified.

Thanks

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 08 2007 @ 04:46 AM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

I don't think I can improve upon Wikipedia's definition.

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 08 2007 @ 06:42 AM
By: capricorn1

Content:

Of course - why didn't I think of the mighty Wikipedia?

Thanks for the link Darth - you're right, it does explain it.

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 24 2007 @ 03:37 AM

Content:

So it begins again...

7th of March on WLIW at 10pm - Doctor Who: Rose

At least this is a chance for those that may not have cable and/or satellite access to catch the newer series, but it is also a chance for those fans that don't have the DVDs to see the stories without commercial interruptions as well. Hopefully uncut to boot.

Cheers,
Louis

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 24 2007 @ 03:56 AM
By: merlin_mccarley

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]

So it begins again...

7th of March on WLIW at 10pm - Doctor Who: Rose

At least this is a chance for those that may not have cable and/or satellite access to catch the newer series, but it is also a chance for those fans that don't have the DVDs to see the stories without commercial interruptions as well. Hopefully uncut to boot.

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Uncut, hopefully but it's Pledge Drive time. That means for a 45 min program they will probably break twice. Well at least it's more exposure.

Cheers,
Mike M.

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 18 2007 @ 03:25 PM

Content:

Recently received an e-mail from IHOD (Ingergalactic House of Daleks) out of the Dallas area that KERA will be bringing back Doctor Who. No idea yet as to clasic or new but on Mar. 3rd there will be Who in the DFW area again, Horray.

Cheers,
Mike M.

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 20 2007 @ 09:54 PM
By: tarashnat

Content:

More stations picking up Doctor Who according to OG - 40 PBS stations airing Who

1) Georgia Public Broadcasting
2) Idaho Public Broadcasting
3) Iowa Public TV
4) KACV 2 Amarillo TX
5) KBTC 28/KCKA 15 Tacoma/Centralia WA
6) KERA 13 Dallas TX
7) KLCS 58 Los Angeles CA
8) KLRU 18 Austin TX
9) KOCE 50 Orange County CA
10) KOZK 21/KOZJ 26 Springfield/Joplin MO (Ozarks Public TV)
11) KRMA 6 Denver CO (and repeaters through Colorado)
12) KTEH 54/KCAH 25 San Jose/Monterey CA
13) KTWU 11 Topeka KS
14) KUED 7 Salt Lake City UT
15) KUHT 8 Houston TX
16) KVPT 18 Fresno CA
17) Louisiana Public Broadcasting
18) Maryland Public TV
19) North Carolina Public Broadcasting
20) Prairie Public Broadcasting (North Dakota's statewide network)
21) Nebraska Educational TV
22) New Hampshire Public TV
23) Oklahoma Public Broadcasting
24) Oregon Public Broadcasting
25) South Dakota Public Broadcasting
26) WCET 48 Cincinnati OH
27) WEDU 3 Tampa FL
28) WILL 12 Champaign-Urbana IL
29) WJCT 7 Jacksonville FL
30) WLIW 21 Long Island NY
31) WLVT 39 Allentown PA
32) WMFE 24 Orlando FL
33) WMVS 10 Milwaukee WI
34) WPBT 2 Miami FL
35) WQLN 54 Erie PA
36) WSKG 46 Binghamton NY
37) WTTW 11 Chicago IL
38) WTVP 47 Peoria IL
39) WUFT 5 Gainesville FL
40) WXXI 21 Rochester NY

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 21 2007 @ 01:17 AM

Content:

This is actually very good news. For those perhaps without any access to cable and/or satellite television in the US will now have a chance to see the Christopher Eccleston stories, and I am sure in time, the David Tennant ones as well.

Cheers,
Louis

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 24 2007 @ 04:04 AM

Content:

I have already contacted WLIW to see if they still perform pledge drives in-house at their studio and whether the Gallifreyan Embassy can volunteer once again during their Doctor Who pledge drives as we did "back in the day."

I am awaiting their reply.

Cheers,
Louis

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: February 24 2007 @ 04:11 AM

Content:

What's odd at this point is that I can not find any other episodes on their schedule other than "Rose" on March 7th at 10pm. Their online schedule on their website goes up until the end of March, yet not a single other Doctor Who episode is listed at this time. Perhaps this showing on the 7th is a "preview" they are showing before the regular programming begins? Just a guess... I bet it is during their pledge drive as well.

Cheers,
Louis

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: March 03 2007 @ 12:31 AM

Content:

UPDATE:
I have been in touch with WLIW. The good news is that they are inviting us, The Gallifreyan Embassy back to their studios to assist in their pledge drive. I received their pledge drive schedule for March, and the bad news is that for some odd reason there are no scheduled pledge drive breaks on March 6th or 7th. It is the 7th that we wanted as it is when Doctor Who will be transmitted (10pm - episode "Rose"). This is still the only story scheduled for March, so we are assuming they are "previewing" this episode during their pledge drive in March and most likely the series will appear on their regular schedule next month or sometime soon.

Now, they did not give me any reason or clue on why there were no scheduled pledge breaks in place for March 7th at this time. Either they are not doing any in-studio pledge breaks on March 6th and 7th, that is not say they won't be pledge breaks those days, but they may be all pre-recorded for some reason. Or perhaps they are already filled with other volunteers, and thus they took those dates off the schedule that they are offering to potential volunteers... or perhaps they are not doing pledge breaks those days (this seems very unlikely, especially since it appears that the Doctor Who episode is a special "one-off" for the month of March. Something typically done for pledge drives).

Hopefully, we will be back in the studio as we had been so often and so long ago 'back in the day' -- but really prefer to do it during Doctor Who and other British science fiction programming (seems like they finished their run of Hyperspace on WLIW as well).

Cheers,
Louis

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: March 07 2007 @ 10:52 PM

Content:

This comes via Ken. WLIW's Doctor Who schedule. No pledge breaks during it as far as I can tell though at this point.

Doctor Who

# 901 Rose
10:00pm -- Wednesday, March 07
10:00pm -- Wednesday, April 04
3:00am -- Friday, April 06
12:00am -- Saturday, April 07

# 902 The End of the World
10:00pm -- Wednesday, April 11
3:00am -- Friday, April 13
12:00am -- Saturday, April 14

# 903 The Unquiet Dead
10:00pm -- Wednesday, April 18
3:00am -- Friday, April 20
12:00am -- Saturday, April 21

# 904 Aliens of London
10:00pm -- Wednesday, April 25
3:00am -- Friday, April 27
12:00am -- Saturday, April 28

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: March 07 2007 @ 10:54 PM

Content:

Hey, I am watching WLIW right now... and there are pledge breaks during tonight's Doctor Who episode. I don't know why they didn't offer tonight to us to volunteer, unless this was pre-booked for some reason, or it was pre-recorded (more likely).

Oh well.

Cheers,
Louis

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: March 07 2007 @ 10:57 PM

Content:

HEY, they are TALKING ABOUT US during the pledge break...

Talent: "I can remember when we used to run Doctor Who and we had the Whovians here all dressed up in costumes..." (paraphrasing somewhat)

Hello? We would have been there tonight if it was offered to us! Sigh.

Oh well. Perhaps next time.

Cheers,
Louis

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: March 08 2007 @ 05:38 PM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

It's funny really - hearing you guys chat, I've never really given much thought to people outside of the UK who want to see Doctor Who, but either have wait for months, or just can't. That must be dead frustrating.

I'm in the "this week in Doctor Who" yahoo group which emails and lists all the TV stations showing whatever episode; truthfully - I don't even read them! I occasionally used to look to see what classic series episode was on UKGold (just to see if it was something I've not got on DVD or VHS), but I don't even do that now.

I'm not gloating, I'm just saying.....

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: March 08 2007 @ 05:48 PM

Content:

I think it may be more the for the nostalga feel that we enjoy, as watching PBS with pledge breaks is no longer a necessity. KERA (Dallas) still has the same station manager they had back in the days they were playing clasic Who. Curiosity, did the other PBS stations play the Confidential (Cutdown version) after the episoes? They did so here, as well as have IHOD members answering the phones for the pledge drive.

Cheers,
Mike M.

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: March 21 2007 @ 03:06 PM
By: constantirritant

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Tardis-Knight] It's funny really - hearing you guys chat, I've never really given much thought to people outside of the UK who want to see Doctor Who, but either have wait for months, or just can't. That must be dead frustrating. [/QUOTE]

I was one of the IHOD phone-answerers for KERA, and one caller wanted to make sure The Powers That Be there knew how grateful she was they were showing Doctor Who again, because she didn't have satellite or cable. (Or the capability for the infamous "red-eye flights to the U.K." mentioned so often on Podshock.)

Constant Irritant

WLIW pledge drive?

Posted on: March 21 2007 @ 03:31 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= constantirritant] [QUOTE BY= Tardis-Knight] It's funny really - hearing you guys chat, I've never really given much thought to people outside of the UK who want to see Doctor Who, but either have wait for months, or just can't. That must be dead frustrating. [/QUOTE]

I was one of the IHOD phone-answerers for KERA, and one caller wanted to make sure The Powers That Be there knew how grateful she was they were showing Doctor Who again, because she didn't have satellite or cable. (Or the capability for the infamous "red-eye flights to the U.K." mentioned so often on Podshock.)

Constant Irritant
[/QUOTE]

Very cool that there is an "Active Member" of IHOD here. I wanted to go but other responsibilitys kept me from the drive. I am in your group mailing list and hope one day to meet up with the group. Hear that Louis even here in North Central Tx. there is WHO it is not a coastal US thang Razz . And yes I am glad we have PBS to keep honest folk honest Wink .

Cheers,
Mike M.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=11473