Subject: Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 09:15 AM
By: Doctor Whoovie

Content:

When I click on the new forum post links section just below Topics on the left of the screen, I have seen weird behaior since last night.

Today the many of the posts indicated are not present, last night they were present but not the last post in the topic, they were often the newest but were above older posts.

Anyone else noticed weird behavior, or have I inadventantly changed a Forum preference. NB older posts seem okay, i.e. run in the correct chronological order.

Maybe someone is running a Paradox machine on the Server.

Hope this posts okay

Replies:

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 31 2007 @ 04:35 PM
By: Louis

Content:

It's happening again...

I deleted a message earlier today upon a user's request. It started the first time around after I had deleted a thread. Hmm...

Cheers,
Louis

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 31 2007 @ 04:36 PM

Content:

My last post is actually posted first in this thread... Grr...

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 10:04 AM
By: daveac

Content:

[QUOTE BY= lucas] see what I mean?

[This thread will be especially confusing for those coming after us...][/QUOTE]

Well Louis was going to do some site upgrades after Series 3 finished (in the UK that is) - perhaps this is an 'upgrade'

Cheers, daveac

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 10:24 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac] [QUOTE BY= lucas] see what I mean?

[This thread will be especially confusing for those coming after us...][/QUOTE]

Well Louis was going to do some site upgrades after Series 3 finished (in the UK that is) - perhaps this is an 'upgrade'

Cheers, daveac[/QUOTE]

I haven't had time to do any upgrades or updates yet... But perhaps this may force the issue... Let me see if I can fix this thing.

Cheers,
Louis

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 09:21 AM
By: lucas

Content:

see what I mean?

[This thread will be especially confusing for those coming after us...]

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 09:16 AM

Content:

So my last post appeared okay!

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 09:17 AM

Content:

Okay, so posts are appearing in reverse order newest first, oldest last! Did I change something?

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 09:18 AM

Content:

Okay nope, third post appeared between first and second! What's going on?

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 09:20 AM
By: lucas

Content:

same thing happened with me earlier today. The dates & times are all skew-iff. very Edge of Destruction...

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 10:42 AM

Content:

I still don't know what is causing the problem... So I haven't been able to fix it yet.

Frown

Cheers,
Louis

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 10:47 AM

Content:

No errors were found in our SQL database... Hmmm

(Scratching my head)

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 10:50 AM

Content:

Test...

Just a test... My last two posts seem to be in order....

Let's see if this posts correctly as well.

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 11:06 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] Test...

Just a test... My last two posts seem to be in order....

Let's see if this posts correctly as well.

[/QUOTE]

Could it be to do with the posters 'date setting' on their computer?

Although it did happen to more than one poster.

Cheers, daveac

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 11:17 AM

Content:

Nope. The date and time stamp is taken from the server computer that the site is running on.

So even if the Doctor was to post to this forum today from the far distant future using a terminal on board the TARDIS, the date and time of the posting would that of the server of the website.

Cheers,
Louis

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 11:21 AM

Content:

Well, I did run a check on the SQL database... no errors were found. I ran a repair on it anyway... it reported no errors fixed.

But so far, every post I made since then, placed in the forums correctly.

I don't know if the problem is fixed. It did not correct the previous sort order problems though. Let's hope future postings are correct... But it is just a shot in the dark right now as I don't know what the problem was or if it has been indeed fixed or not.

Cheers,
Louis

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 11:26 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]

Well, I did run a check on the SQL database... no errors were found. I ran a repair on it anyway... it reported no errors fixed.

But so far, every post I made since then, placed in the forums correctly.

I don't know if the problem is fixed. It did not correct the previous sort order problems though. Let's hope future postings are correct... But it is just a shot in the dark right now as I don't know what the problem was or if it has been indeed fixed or not.

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Could The Master be at the bottom of all this????

Cheers, daveac

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 12:00 PM

Content:

BEWARE: Time agents at work!

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 12:02 PM

Content:

The Forum links claims that the last post to "The Talons of Weng Chiang" Forum is by Justice by my reckoning there are no posts by Justice in that Forum Topic at all!

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 10 2007 @ 06:30 PM
By: rocko

Content:

Wow.. Reading this forum for the first time is like watching the DVD of the Doctor in Blink...

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 18 2007 @ 06:14 PM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Doctor Whoovie] The Forum links claims that the last post to "The Talons of Weng Chiang" Forum is by Justice by my reckoning there are no posts by Justice in that Forum Topic at all![/QUOTE]

Justice seems to be involved in it all somehow!! Smile

Apparently, I'm the last poster on Star Wars Celebration Europe thread - but if you look, it's him!

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 19 2007 @ 03:14 AM

Content:

I've noticed that a few other "last post" names are out of sync with what's happened and what's shown on the front page of that individual category. For example; at the moment Dave is showing as the last poster on this thread (for all it's worth).

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: August 24 2007 @ 04:49 PM

Content:

Louis,

Your reply this afternoon on the "Best Series Ever!" thread is the first post in the thread now!!!

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 31 2007 @ 04:41 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]

It's happening again...

I deleted a message earlier today upon a user's request. It started the first time around after I had deleted a thread. Hmm...

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Is it 'wierd forum behaviour'

OR

'wierd forum member's behaviour' Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

EDIT - see Louis - my post has got to the right place! Wink

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: July 31 2007 @ 06:42 PM
By: tarashnat

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]

It's happening again...

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a bug in the Edit/Delete post code. Did you ever upgrade the forum software? This may be also related to the inability to sometimes edit a message.

Taras

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: August 01 2007 @ 11:21 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
This sounds like a bug in the Edit/Delete post code. Did you ever upgrade the forum software? This may be also related to the inability to sometimes edit a message.

Taras[/QUOTE]

No.. I still haven't updated it. I must admit, I am a bit gun-shy in doing so since the last time it was attempted, not only did it bring down the forums, but it brought down the entire site. So, I would like to do when I know I have a big chunk of time to deal with any possible catastrophes possibly resulting from it (not to mention the time it will take to do it regardless).

But ongoing problems/weirdness may force the issue...

Cheers,
Louis

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: August 23 2007 @ 10:58 AM

Content:

Posts are appearing out of order again!! Will this one?

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: August 23 2007 @ 03:49 PM

Content:

I hope it is not a temporal anamoly caused by a malfunctioning time capsule.

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: August 23 2007 @ 04:37 PM

Content:

I found if you reverse the polarity of the neutron flow, it resolves the problem. Wink

Cheers,
Louis

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: August 23 2007 @ 06:57 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] No.. I still haven't updated it. I must admit, I am a bit gun-shy in doing so since the last time it was attempted, not only did it bring down the forums, but it brought down the entire site. So, I would like to do when I know I have a big chunk of time to deal with any possible catastrophes possibly resulting from it (not to mention the time it will take to do it regardless).

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Blimey Louis, you need The Doctor!

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: August 24 2007 @ 08:12 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

Confirm posts appearing out of order. See Last of the Time Lords thread. Don't know this offers a lead to you, but it appears, and it may only be an appearance, that my post was placed immediately after the post from which I quoted. Almost like it was trying to nest the reply.

EDIT: Nah, scratch that. Louis' most recent post to BEST SERIES EVER! appears as the very first post of the thread. Can't see the relationship between Louis' post in that thread and my post in "Last of the Time Lords". Totally different behaviors.

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: August 24 2007 @ 10:09 PM
By: Smitty

Content:

Looks like a Paradox Machine is at work here!

-cs™

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: August 24 2007 @ 11:36 PM

Content:

This forum has turned into something similar to the Doctor's TARDIS... It works, just not always as expected.

Cheers,
Louis

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: February 22 2008 @ 09:49 AM

Content:

Post Going up in Wrong order again!!!

My Post to "Tube-apalooza" was last one made but post is second from last (I replied to the last one).

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: February 22 2008 @ 09:57 AM

Content:

I don't know what causes it... it is very annoying when it happens.

One of these days I need to try to update the software here and/or explore new options.

These weird forum behavior hiccups seem to come and go on their own. I noticed in the past that sometimes if I delete a thread it trigger it, but I have done no such thing this time.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers,
Louis

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: April 17 2008 @ 09:21 PM

Content:

Not only are they posting in the middle now, it's not even going chronological.

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: April 17 2008 @ 09:19 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
Louis,

Are you deleting threads again??? some posts are now showing up in the middle of threads... see Can Podshock enlis..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I see... Sigh.

(waves white flag to the forum gods)

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: April 17 2008 @ 09:13 PM

Content:

Louis,

Are you deleting threads again??? some posts are now showing up in the middle of threads... see Can Podshock enlis..

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: April 17 2008 @ 09:13 PM

Content:

This weird forum sorting behavior is in full swing now...

Have fun finding your posts...

Egads. Timey wimey indeed!

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: April 14 2008 @ 05:09 PM

Content:

Dont know if it's related Louis, and possibly more to do with the site crashes of last few days (?), but I've got loads of emails in my inbox of post notifications - for threads that I've apparently chosen to watch, that (as interesting as they are) I haven't!

I got one yesterday for a thread that until I'd seen the email, I'd not even noticed...

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: April 15 2008 @ 03:25 AM

Content:

He's onto us... run... we're trying to drum up interest on useless threads.

No, just kidding, but we've had at least two recurrences of the last post at the beginning of the tread bug...

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: April 15 2008 @ 07:30 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Tardis-Knight] Dont know if it's related Louis, and possibly more to do with the site crashes of last few days (?), but I've got loads of emails in my inbox of post notifications - for threads that I've apparently chosen to watch, that (as interesting as they are) I haven't!

I got one yesterday for a thread that until I'd seen the email, I'd not even noticed...[/QUOTE]

It's never done that to my knowledge before. Egads.

Sorry.

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: April 15 2008 @ 07:31 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
He's onto us... run... we're trying to drum up interest on useless threads.

No, just kidding, but we've had at least two recurrences of the last post at the beginning of the tread bug...[/QUOTE]

I thought this might happen as I deleted a thread. It seems whenever I delete a thread, this sort thing happens.

Crazy.

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: April 15 2008 @ 11:24 AM
By: stjohnny

Content:

it's happened AGAIN!

Weird Forum Behavior

Posted on: April 15 2008 @ 09:15 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= stjohnny] it's happened AGAIN![/QUOTE]

This is normal... You see our site sits on a time rift which intermittently opens and closes. When it happens, messages written today may appear yesterday or the day before. Spooky.

But hey, we are used these sort of things here at the Gallifreyan Embassy.

Cheers,
Louis

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=16794