Subject: Review of King Lear...

Posted on: October 16 2007 @ 05:07 PM
By: mad4plaid

Content:

Well, not a full review, but I thought I'd let everyone know how Sylvester McCoy and Sir Ian were on stage together.

I saw the RSC's production of King Lear last Thursday in Mpls. To start with wow. Second thing of note is that Sir Ian has some amazing "attributes" for a man his age (I didn't anticipate the full monty in Lear, but there you are).

McCoy was wonderful as Lear's Fool. His antics were a wonderful play off of Lear's descent into madness. I also enjoyed his playing of the spoons throughout (according to the playbill, he has played the spoons at Albert Hall with some royal orchestra - forget the actual name, what a strange and wonderful talent!).

What I hadn't anticipated was that others would have trouble with his dialect. Because I've seen many - not all - of his Doctor Who eps and listed to quite a few of the Big Finish stories now, I was familiar with his cadence and trilling "R"s, but others commented that it took them a few speaches to figure out what he was saying - and then they still weren't certain (it is Shakespeare afterall!).

My apologies for this next bit if you aren't familiar with Lear, but it really shouldn't be too much of a SPOILER (it's a Tragedy, everyone dies except maybe two people in most Shakespeare tragedies). The intermission took place at the end of the third act. The Fool has just been captured by the baddies and hung on the spot. Yes, they staged his hanging from the rafters. THEN they left him there as the house lights came up and the audience left for the interval. My companions and I waited to see when they would take him down, and they waited a full five minutes into the interval.

and I do admit, I wanted to shout: "REGENERATE DOCTOR!!! REGENERATE!!!" I didn't. The rest of Lear was shock and awe and bloody. And all together wonderful!

When the bows came at the end of the show, I did shout out "DOCTOR!!!" for McCoy, along with at least two other voices from the audience. He got a big grin on his face but otherwise did not acknowledge the shouts.

And as good an actor as Sir Ian is in the movies (though, not a fan of his Magneto, but that's really more of an issue with the storyline), he is THAT much better on stage!

I don't know if the show is heading for LA or NYC next, but if you get the opportunity to get a rush ticket, I really would recommend it.

Replies:

Review of King Lear

Posted on: October 17 2007 @ 03:57 PM
By: constantirritant

Content:

Cry I am soooo jealous! Lear is one of my favorite plays and I would dearly love to see Sir Ian live. Add Sylvester to the list, and wow!!!

I doubt the RSC will be gracing Dallas, but I'd move heaven and earth to see them here!

CI

Review of King Lear

Posted on: January 21 2008 @ 06:51 PM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

Dunno if you've spotted this Mad4plaid....

Review of King Lear

Posted on: January 22 2008 @ 01:00 AM
By: tarashnat

Content:

&style[QUOTE BY= Tardis-Knight] Dunno if you've spotted this Mad4plaid....[/QUOTE]

To summarize: the production is coming to PBS and BBC4 in autumn and December, respectively, and was filmed in HD to boot!

Review of King Lear

Posted on: January 22 2008 @ 08:59 AM
By: mad4plaid

Content:

Oh nice! Everyone will get a chance to see this brilliant production!

Now, I just wonder if the American PBS stations will show Sir Ian in ALL his glory, or if they'll just pan up for those scenes and not show him with his pants around his ankles!

Review of King Lear

Posted on: January 22 2008 @ 10:57 AM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid] Oh nice! Everyone will get a chance to see this brilliant production!

Now, I just wonder if the American PBS stations will show Sir Ian in ALL his glory, or if they'll just pan up for those scenes and not show him with his pants around his ankles![/QUOTE]

"Bloody Torchwood".

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=18571