Subject: K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: March 04 2006 @ 02:30 AM
By: tarashnat

Content:

The Sun is reporting a new K9 and Sarah Jane Smith series... The Sun | Dr Who's K9 gets a leadTaras

Replies:

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: March 04 2006 @ 03:40 AM
By: Louis

Content:

There could be something to this... We had a listener contact us last year about a behind the scenes interview where a K-9 spin-off was mentioned in it... but at the time, we could not confirm it. The interview was a modern one, not one done at the time of the original K-9 and Company pilot.

Hmm...

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: March 04 2006 @ 05:20 AM
By: Radar

Content:

Ah, well, that of course then leads to the next question for speculation - would a new K9 and Sarah Jane Smith series experience much success?

I would say that the answer to this question depends really on who could be working on it. I think it would undoubtedly have the potential to do well, if the right people managed to get their hands on it.

As a slightly humorous suggestion - The thought does occur to me of Russel T. Davies Smile, but that wouldn't really happen, given him working on Torchwood added to his work for Doctor Who. People may also have varying opinions on how well he would be suited to something like that also.

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: March 04 2006 @ 08:47 AM
By: James Brown 1977

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]
There could be something to this... We had a listener contact us last year about a behind the scenes interview where a K-9 spin-off was mentioned in it... but at the time, we could not confirm it. The interview was a modern one, not one done at the time of the original K-9 and Company pilot.

Hmm...

[/QUOTE]

Interesting I have always like K9 myself so a spin off would be welcome. I have also read posts on OG to say that the part of K9s creator was being re-cast so this new development would make sense.

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: March 04 2006 @ 10:00 AM
By: Abersoch

Content:

I'm hugely sceptical about this. As much as I would like to see them have another go at K9 & Co (and, more importantly, to get it right!) I can't see them launching yet another spin-off series before the main series has fully found its feet and before the first spin-off has even started. It could split the audience attention too much and start to make everyone feel like they've got Doctor Who overload. After all look what happened with Star Trek. I would love to see all three series occur but I'd rather see them when the market is ready for it.

And quite apart from anything else, I wouldn't trust anyone from The Sun to tell me it was daytime without first looking out of the window myself. As newspapers go, they rank marginally below The News of the World and The Daily Mirror for responsible journalism. If I remember rightly when Star Trek Deep Space Nine was being launched in the States, they devoted an entire page to the story that Quark's bar was a deep space brothel where the characters could programme "sizzling and sexy babes" to appear and get up to the sort of wild debauchery that would "put Sodom and Gommorah to shame!". They also made out that the programme was going to be some XXX rated show that would only be screened late at night because it would be unsuitable for kids, so draw your own conclusions from that.

Abersoch

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: March 04 2006 @ 02:01 PM

Content:

Here is the link to the original thread here on our site about this subject going back to October 2005. It was when PolyphonicAsthma first brought it to our attention due to a video interview with Bob Baker and Paul Tams at The Who Shop in London from Spring of 2005 speaking of a new K-9 series.

Arrow K9 New Tails

Unfortunately, the video file is no longer at the linked page now.

I am not sure if there is any relation to the new rumours about a K-9 spin-off today or not.

Still, it may be safer to wait for some indication from the BBC itself.

Cheers,
Louis

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: March 04 2006 @ 09:58 PM

Content:

This could well break a record for longest delay between pilot and series... Confused

Taras

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: March 05 2006 @ 03:49 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
This could well break a record for longest delay between pilot and series... Confused

Taras[/QUOTE]

A mere quarter of a century? -- Perhaps you are right!

Laughing Out Loud

Cheers,
Louis

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: March 10 2006 @ 06:21 PM

Content:

They broke it first??? Whovian Observer | K9 & Co II

Taras

P.S. The rest is funny as well...

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: March 10 2006 @ 06:46 PM

Content:

Is that supposed to be Sarah Jane Smith with a lightsaber?

"Oh My!"

Cheers,
Louis

K-9 returns -- confirmed

Posted on: April 24 2006 @ 12:20 PM
By: That Neil Guy

Content:

Check out Outpost Gallifrey news today.

K9 animated series is confirmed.

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 24 2006 @ 01:59 PM

Content:

By Disney?!

[sigh] I forsee disaster Frown

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 24 2006 @ 02:38 PM

Content:

BBC News | Doctor Who dog K9 gets spin-off

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 24 2006 @ 03:07 PM
By: Dangermouse

Content:

A purely animated series for kids would be okay - but a mixture of animation and live action tends looks so crap.

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 24 2006 @ 04:56 PM
By: James

Content:

The new K9 just looks wrong! I'm I the only one who thinks so?

I have a tendency to say that as the BBC are not doing it - it will be rubbish.

Also, if K9 is getting a make-over, do you think that means that the current one will get destroyed or badly damaged in School Reunion?

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 24 2006 @ 05:33 PM

Content:

I did speculate on that but - as far as today's kids are concerned - there is only one K9 and thinking on it wouldn't make sense to destroy him because then they'd have to put in lots of unnecessary explanations about K9s mark I and II. I think K9 Mark III will make it to the end - even if he does get a bit battered in the process.

The new ones looks crap though. Far too cute. Dear God, I've just thought - what if Disney decide to put songs in?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 24 2006 @ 05:42 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= James] The new K9 just looks wrong! I'm I the only one who thinks so?

I have a tendency to say that as the BBC are not doing it - it will be rubbish.

Also, if K9 is getting a make-over, do you think that means that the current one will get destroyed or badly damaged in School Reunion?[/QUOTE]

It looks more like a Sony AIBO than K-9! Ugh! Eek!

I'm sorry, that's not K9... but I suppose I will give it a chance.

Cheers,
Louis

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 24 2006 @ 05:44 PM

Content:

Is it just me or does it look like a balloon? I can see the merchandising beginning already.

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 24 2006 @ 11:44 PM
By: PolyphonicAsthma

Content:

[QUOTE]
Contractual obligations mean that the Doctor is unable to join K9 on his space mission — Doctor Who is owned by BBC Worldwide — but K9 Adventures is the property of Bob Baker, whose writing credits include the Oscar-winning Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit and Paul Tams, a veteran Doctor Who designer.[/QUOTE]

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2148876,00.html

[QUOTE]The original K-9 is set to appear in the BBC's new series of Dr Who later this month. However, the BBC can't launch its own spin-off series based on the character without Baker's permission. 'Dr Who is very important to us and we feel we have to manage the brand very carefully on behalf of our audiences,...As the BBC is already committed to a number of spin-off projects, we concluded that a K9 series may simply be an extension too far.'

Park Entertainment's involvement hearkens back to an October 2004 news report on the Outpost Gallifrey news page, which notes that, at the time, Park had teamed with Baker and issued a press release at the MIPCOM sales event in France that year. "Baker, who also wrote Aardman's Wallace & Gromit toon," said the news story at that time, "is working with Park's CEO Jim Howell to pitch the show to UK and international networks. The story follows 'a junk space ship led by a cynical old captain and a virtual reality female computer... After finding K9 in an abandoned spacecraft, and picking up an orphaned boy from a passing planet, they become a dysfunctional space-age family.' The proposed series would mix live-action and CGI, with K9 - who is 'cuddly in a robotic kind of way' - now able to morph into new shapes via a special dog collar. Howell and Baker, now in his late-60s, have attracted interest from networks in Canada and Australia. For the UK, Howell said that 'the BBC has some kind of first-refusal' on the spin-off show. 'We're aiming at the Dr Who market,' said Howell, regarding the show's target demo. 'Kids and adults love K9... If you can win both demographics with one show, you're really on to a winner.'"[/QUOTE]

http://www.gallifreyone.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?id=EEuVlAEVVyGhyInyMp&tmpl=newsrss

I'm guessing the latter CGI/live action mix was what the creators were talking about in that vid I posted here. I have this suspicion that since DISNEY is involved it's going to be complete computer animated. Tell will tell, I supposed! Question

Anyone ever see the original sketches to the Doctor Who animated series that never happened? Now THOSE were freakin' cool! Cool

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 24 2006 @ 11:52 PM

Content:

Hey PolyphonicAsthma, you were the first person that brought this series to our attention back in October of last year when you reported to us that interview which we then reviewed, which it seemed to me that they were talking about a CGI version of K9.. and here it is now.

Kudos.

Cheers,
Louis

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 25 2006 @ 01:58 AM
By: PolyphonicAsthma

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]
Hey PolyphonicAsthma, you were the first person that brought this series to our attention back in October of last year when you reported to us that interview which we then reviewed, which it seemed to me that they were talking about a CGI version of K9.. and here it is now.

Kudos.

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Not too bad for the guy who's only Podshock claim to fame is "uhhh... Hi." Laughing Out Loud

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 25 2006 @ 08:19 AM
By: hdutch007

Content:

I'm with everyone else of this, but I must say that this K-9 looks like something I could go to a local electronics store and buy a remote control version of. I am sure that's a huge motivating factor behind this: merchandising. cha-ching.
I gurantee you that there will be a huge toy push behind this, and it's not designed for us, it's designed for little kids. I have no problem with that, really. I don't know how things are in Britain and Europe, but American kids are obsessed with Anime-style shows such as Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragonball Z, and Pokemon. The plots are non existant (but I like DBZ) and are clearly designed to sell toys, trading cards and t-shirts. And boy does it work.
But if we can get kids hooked early on one of the Doctor's traveling buddies, then when they come of age and desire a little more meat in their story, they just may graduate to the real deal: Doctor Who. SO if we get them while they are young, this could be a blessing in disguise.
I really doubt that they are trying to appeal to older folks, I think it's purely for the kiddies, and to me that's a good thing, because I don't think any of us want a "mature" late night K-9 adult drama coming on AFTER Torchwood. Big Grin

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 25 2006 @ 08:23 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hdutch007] SO if we get them while they are young, this could be a blessing in disguise. [/QUOTE]

It's a very good disguise Confused

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 25 2006 @ 10:35 PM
By: hdutch007

Content:

yeah, it is s good disguise. I'm just being optimistic, as I am not used to being less than thrilled with Doctor Who related news.

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 27 2006 @ 11:34 AM
By: Prof. Who

Content:

I think a K-9 spinoff that is a stand alone with no connection between Doctor Who and K-9 besides a grey classic version of K-9 use to be on the show is a terrible idea. I love K-9 to death, but his is not a stand alone character. He never has been. He was more of a straightman to the Doctor and in no way could he stand on his own. This stinks of cheap half baked marketing and I expect it to be an even bigger embrassment then the orginal K-9 & Co. theme song.

K-9 & Co. Mk. 2?

Posted on: April 27 2006 @ 01:09 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

I for one am thrilled at this news. It solves the potential problems of this being yet another BBC-produced DW spin-off. Moreover, it allows the remarkably talented, if vastly underrated, Baker a chance to do with the character what he always wanted to do, really—unbound by all the practical restrictions of filming with live actors in 70s. I think this is, potentially, about as perfect a use of the K-9 concept as we could hope for. With Aardman/Disney backing, I can smell "surprise hit" all over this one.

Thank GOD it has nothing to do with Sarah Jane. Both characters escape this nasty rumor with their integrity intact.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=1976