Subject: The Rescue

Posted on: March 06 2006 @ 02:06 PM
By: tarashnat

Content:

I watched this two parter yesterday. It introduces the first new companion, Vicki. A pretty thin story with an unsatisfying resolution, but not too bad. Taras

Replies:

The Rescue

Posted on: March 19 2006 @ 09:35 AM
By: James Brown 1977

Content:

I have never seen this story myself, so I hope it comes to DVD soon. I have heard its a bit of a classic.

The Rescue

Posted on: March 19 2006 @ 06:38 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

I really like this story. Sure, a bit thin--as most classic series two-parters were--but Hartnell's on his "A" game, here. A groundbreaking episode in many ways, though I suppose these days, retrospectively, it doesn't appear particularly revolutionary. The chemistry between the Doctor and Vicki is really what the Susan/Doctor relationship should've been all along.

The Rescue

Posted on: September 16 2006 @ 10:12 PM
By: JeffL

Content:

Well I'll admit that the last time I watched it (around 1990), it helped me catch up on my ZZZZ's. Maybe I need to watch it again.

The Rescue

Posted on: September 17 2006 @ 12:44 AM
By: shoggoth

Content:

Like JeffL it helped me get to sleep the night I watched it for the first time. I went back the next morning and watched it again, in its entirety. It was a passable short episode, but was clearly nothing more than a tool for quickly introducing a new companion.

It wasn't bad and it wasn't great, but it is Doctor Who, so how can that ever be bad? (Well, okay Delta and The Bannermen was bad, but whatever.)

Shoggoth (Dave)

The Rescue

Posted on: March 19 2007 @ 01:26 AM
By: DASP

Content:

I like this story, but my main problem is how surprised everyone was about Koquillion.

As a monster, he was pretty unconvincing.

[quote=DarthSkeptical]The chemistry between the Doctor and Vicki is really what the Susan/Doctor relationship should've been all along.[/quote]I agree and have always found the general fan preference of Susan over Vicki to be quite inexplicable.

The Rescue

Posted on: July 23 2007 @ 10:05 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

[QUOTE BY=DarthSkeptical]The chemistry between the Doctor and Vicki is really what the Susan/Doctor relationship should've been all along.[/quote][QUOTE BY= DASP] I agree and have always found the general fan preference of Susan over Vicki to be quite inexplicable.[/QUOTE]I think the strength of this relationship is amplified even more by the highly recommended Companion Chronicle, "Frostfire". Though the plot's fairly standardly "Marc Platt-ish", for good and for ill, the characterization of Vicki and the Doctor is a lovely farewell to the relationship that began in "The Rescue".

The Rescue

Posted on: July 23 2007 @ 11:33 PM
By: Smitty

Content:

I recently watched this again online and a nice well paced story.

It had some nice backstory where The Doctor relates he had been there before. Nice moment of The Doctor not being an absent minded old man etc.

-cs™

The Rescue

Posted on: October 12 2007 @ 04:50 AM
By: shockeye07

Content:

Ive just brought a VHS of this story, a double pack with "The Romans", from Amazon. Looking forward to it.

The Rescue

Posted on: October 12 2007 @ 09:26 AM
By: jeffreysg

Content:

I have not seen this story in almost 20+ years. I didn't realize it was on video.

The Rescue

Posted on: October 12 2007 @ 11:50 AM
By: Omega

Content:

I found The Rescue to work well with handling a new companion entering the fray. I thought it was fairly solid, yet at the same time works as a bridge between The Dalek Invasion of Earth and The Romans. The Romans, by the way, being one of my favorite Hartnell stories, as is The Dalek Invasion of Earth. So in that respect, The Rescue does sort of fall through the cracks being between two absolutely fantastic Hartnell classics.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=2021