Subject: [Spoilers] TW s2e12 Fragments

Posted on: March 22 2008 @ 04:22 PM
By: merlin_mccarley

Content:

Plesently, suprisingly good for an 'Origins' story. Gives us a timeline and some good character moments.

Loved Jack's flight and the sonic modulator.

S2 E13 will air on 4/4

Cheers,

Mike

Replies:

[Spoilers] TW s2e12 Fragments

Posted on: March 22 2008 @ 06:10 PM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

I liked it and it's got the makings of a good finale.

I wasnt sure about the Ye Olde Cardyff Town scenes at first, but after I'd got my head around them they were ok. The previous historic Torchwood scenes (from 1914/18 WWI era) were very serious, whereas these seemed more of a parody piece (and to me at least worked nowhere near as well).

Enjoyable enough (part 2 seems an awfully long way off though).

On the whole, I've not liked the 2nd half of this series as much as the first; wonder if it'll go out with a big glorious bang.....

Posted on: March 22 2008 @ 08:58 PM
By: daveac

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Tardis-Knight]
On the whole, I've not liked the 2nd half of this series as much as the first; wonder if it'll go out with a big glorious bang..... [/QUOTE]

'...a big glorious bang..'

Are we talking Jack and Ianto, or Jack and John or Jack and 'anything' - here

Or are we talking storyline? Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: March 22 2008 @ 10:52 PM
By: cybercolin

Content:

I must say - I LOVED IT! 9/10....

....but I bet they follow it with a shite closing episode!

Posted on: March 23 2008 @ 08:34 AM
By: seanhuxter

Content:

Can't say I much like "the big bad" story arcs. I hope this Captain John stuff is over quickly and it doesn't turn into another full season of chase the specific bad-guy.

I'd rather the story-by-story Torchwood that makes it so interesting.

Some good points, but a bunch of disjointed back-stories all at once is too much of a good thing.

And past-Torchwood-lady was right. Her boss was cute. Wow. It looks like Torchwood attracted the omnisexual from its early days, eh?

My dread is that the next episode is going to be extrememly ugly, and it's not going to resolve anything, just keep us hanging until next season, and I sincerely hate shows that do that.

They'd better wrap it up in one...

Sean.

Posted on: March 23 2008 @ 09:47 PM
By: mad4plaid

Content:

I really enjoyed seeing how everyone got involved with Torchwood. But I'm not sure I see Owen going from a sad ex-fiance to the male strumpet (it's a family forum afterall) and general jerk. Oh well, not the point.

What struck me as most interesting were two things:
1) everyone is standing RIGHT ON TOP of their respective bombs when they went off and NO ONE DIED! please!

2) Torchwood's non-traditional love affairs pre-date Jack by a LONG run! Must be something in the water in Cardiff! Laughing Out Loud

I look forward to next weeks conclusion. It is the season ender, correct? and it seems to be on only one day prior to Doctor Who beginning?

Posted on: March 23 2008 @ 11:07 PM
By: Louis

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid] I really enjoyed seeing how everyone got involved with Torchwood. But I'm not sure I see Owen going from a sad ex-fiance to the male strumpet (it's a family forum afterall) and general jerk. Oh well, not the point.[/QUOTE]
That went through my mind as well.

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]
1) everyone is standing RIGHT ON TOP of their respective bombs when they went off and NO ONE DIED! please!
[/QUOTE]
That too went through my mind.

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]
2) Torchwood's non-traditional love affairs pre-date Jack by a LONG run! Must be something in the water in Cardiff! Laughing Out Loud

I look forward to next weeks conclusion. It is the season ender, correct? and it seems to be on only one day prior to Doctor Who beginning?[/QUOTE]
Not next week. To my understanding we have to wait two weeks for the next episode... Yep, series 2 finale.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: March 24 2008 @ 06:31 AM
By: daveac

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]
[/QUOTE]

Well - Jack could have died with the bomb - he did sort of 'come back from death' in his memory segment.

Owen - dead already

So that only leaves Tosh and Ianto to be killed - so I suppose we could have expected one of those to die.

Of course if Captain John was just trying to get their attention - the charges in the devices could have been set on minimum.

Yesterdays CIA covered this episode and Epi. 11 'Adrift'

here

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: March 24 2008 @ 06:40 AM
By: Dalzo

Content:

I am confused... When was this episode shown and on what channel? As far as I can make out this episode wasn't due out till next Friday... I must have dropped the ball on this one... Can somebody pick it up for me?

Posted on: March 24 2008 @ 07:53 AM
By: cybercolin

Content:

It was on BBC3, although we have to wait two weeks for the last episode as its being shown on BBC2 only.

I'm sure you could 'get hold' of the episode from somewhere Wink

Posted on: March 24 2008 @ 04:20 PM
By: rocko

Content:

I think this was the best of the past few episodes. I really liked the first 2-3, then it went downhill until about this one. I got the impression from episode 1 that Cpt. John would be around for most of the season, and I am upset that they deliberately saved him for the season ender (presumably, to get us to stay tuned). I am fully expecting to be left hanging at the end, without much resolution... time will tell.

Posted on: March 24 2008 @ 09:18 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] Not next week. To my understanding we have to wait two weeks for the next episode... Yep, series 2 finale.

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Two weeks, I can do that... maybe it'll finally be spring like weather here by then (10 inches of snow on Easter weekend.... I LOVE shoveling)

Posted on: March 24 2008 @ 09:32 PM
By: Louis

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid] [QUOTE BY= Louis] Not next week. To my understanding we have to wait two weeks for the next episode... Yep, series 2 finale.

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Two weeks, I can do that... maybe it'll finally be spring like weather here by then (10 inches of snow on Easter weekend.... I LOVE shoveling)[/QUOTE]

Egads! All that snow. We sort of lucked out this winter not getting much snow... but it didn't stop my car from doing a 360 on the ice and jumping the sidewalk and hitting a wall. Luckily no one was hurt (just my car and wallet).

Well, you will know when spring is here when you are watching new Doctor Who episodes... as they should start just as Torchwood ends this year.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: March 30 2008 @ 04:44 PM
By: stjohnny

Content:

Very enjoyable episode, my only niggle was the Jack/Ianto flirting when they met, was this Ianto's plan to sneak Lisa into the Hub? i thought their current 'avant-guard' fun was brought on by Ianto's grief.
Liked the rest of it very much though, but could have had a bit more UNIT in there!

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, I felt like it was a bit forced upon the viewer. Also, not a single man in sight, especially in a time where equal opportunities were non existent!

Also, could someone please explain how the millenium celebrations/mercy killings were significant? Or did it just show how Jack took over Torchwood?

Posted on: March 30 2008 @ 07:04 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= stjohnny] Also, could someone please explain how the millenium celebrations/mercy killings were significant? Or did it just show how Jack took over Torchwood?[/QUOTE]

I thought it was just to show how Jack took over Torchwood. And perhaps to explain a bit more about the "something waiting in the darkness" blah, blah, blah. Perhaps they'll get to that next season?

Posted on: March 31 2008 @ 02:26 AM
By: tarashnat

Content:

[QUOTE BY= stjohnny] Also, could someone please explain how the millenium celebrations/mercy killings were significant? Or did it just show how Jack took over Torchwood?[/QUOTE]

The world was going crazy: see Doctor Who: the Movie... OMG, it's a Doctor Who reference. The effect of opening the Eye of Harmony must have had on the rift... OUCH!

Posted on: April 12 2008 @ 10:07 PM
By: Magpie

Content:

Yes I've been slowly working my way through Torchwood.

Toshiko's backstory was really the only thing going for this episode.

Everything else, quite frankly, felt like an afterthought. I wasn't 100% on board with Jack's backstory BUT I was willing to go along with it.

Ianto, meh, yeah as much as I liked the cyberlady vs. pterodactyl fight - I thought that whole bit was so-so.

But where they REALLY lost me was with Owen. I mean, are you kidding me? Come ON. Age 23? Practicing Doctor? Mister Nice guy Planning his wedding? Huh? So he didn't just change personality totally, he also changed dress and decorating sense? They tried to establish WAY too much via dialogue and I felt like I was watching a second-rate soap opera. Frankly I don't even think Burn Goreman seemed like he was buying it. Did ANYBODY buy it? I mean seriously?

The worst part was the exchange between him & the doctor right before the surgery. Crikey, it was terrible! A 15 second piece of dialogue ruined the whole episode. Why they didn't leave it on the cutting room floor is beyond me.

I mean, did ANY of it seem plausible? I'm left thinking the only person actually qualified for the job is Toshiko. If you can't make it believable, leave it shrouded in mystery please.

And your man from Buffy showing up at the end? "Why wouldn't you spend more time with me?" Huh??? What??? this is the finale??? Jack's brother??? Seriously? I can't believe how underwhelmed I am. I feel absolutely no pressing need to see episode 13.

I'm so disappointed! I mean, the monster at the end of last season was ridiculous but at least I was entertained. *SIGH*

I know some of you really really liked this episode. All I can say is I guess it's good they do a variety because there's no possible way they could please everybody all the time.

Posted on: June 18 2008 @ 08:43 PM
By: Linquel

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat] [QUOTE BY= stjohnny] Also, could someone please explain how the millenium celebrations/mercy killings were significant? Or did it just show how Jack took over Torchwood?[/QUOTE]

The world was going crazy: see Doctor Who: the Movie... OMG, it's a Doctor Who reference. The effect of opening the Eye of Harmony must have had on the rift... OUCH![/QUOTE]

I'm finally getting around to watching the last few episodes of Torchwood series 2. I must be foolishly optimistic because as soon as they showed some millenial celebrations I thought for sure they were going to at least hint at the events of the Paul McGann movie. I would have been happy if they showed a clip of the people celebrating at the atomic clock site. In retrospect, it did seem pretty pointless. Ok, that's how Jack took over the Cardiff branch. Whoopdie. I'm going to start the finale now with the return of Captain John.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=21722