Subject: The Making of Doctor Who

Posted on: April 18 2008 @ 09:41 AM
By: Idiom

Content:

Just received a pristine copy of The Making of Doctor Who by Terrance Dicks and Malcom Hulke from Amazon.

First came across this book when I was seven - they had a copy at my school with a picture of Jon Pertwee on the front. Then a few years later I received an updated version with Tom baker on the cover for Christmas.

It taught me all about the first and second doctors about whom I knew nothing and contained a short synopsis of each story - it was how I managed to keep track of my book collection.

I found this brand new copy on Amazon for one pound fifty! Oh the nostalgia. Guess how I'm going to while away the afternoon. Oh and yes, there will be tea and biscuits involved!

Replies:

The Making of Doctor Who

Posted on: April 18 2008 @ 09:49 AM
By: timeflight

Content:

Sounds like a perfect afternoon to me!

The Making of Doctor Who

Posted on: April 18 2008 @ 10:23 AM
By: shockeye07

Content:

"The Making of Doctor Who" is an extra the "Sea Devils" DVD as a PDF document. I recently printed of a copy & am looking forward to reading it.

The Making of Doctor Who

Posted on: April 18 2008 @ 10:34 AM

Content:

My copy focuses susbstantially on the making of Robot - from idea to script to Target novelisation

The Making of Doctor Who

Posted on: April 18 2008 @ 02:01 PM
By: MikeD

Content:

The Tom baker version of The Making of Doctor Who was the first Doctor Who reference guide I ever owned. It shaped all of my early impressions about past Doctor Who.

Mike

The Making of Doctor Who

Posted on: April 18 2008 @ 02:20 PM

Content:

Yes, exactly the same for me. I used to spend hours pouring over the past episode summaries and dreaming about stories I never thought I'd see.
A great quote from the end of the book (makes you realise how much the world has moved on in some ways):
With regard to the future of Doctor Who:
"A certain number of Doctor Who shows have been preserved...but many more are lost for good...an increasing number are now being preserved in more permanent form as Target Books.
"Through the novelisations you can relive adventures...that were shown before you were born. So far there are 27 Target books in print, and there are more in preparation. One way and another, it looks as if the Doctor will continue to entertain us for many more years to come." [1976]
All together now....ahhhhhh! God bless Target books.
Little did they know...

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=22758