Subject: with all this rain

Posted on: October 16 2005 @ 12:14 PM
By: Satai Styx

Content:

I know I've been bailing out my basement; I woke up Sat morning to 8 inches of water in my basement an 3 in my parent's which I'm "housesitting". A friend of mine in Alstead, NH is homeless now, his house was condemned.

I dearly pray that no one else has had such luck.

Replies:

with all this rain

Posted on: October 16 2005 @ 07:27 PM
By: Louis

Content:

I live in a basement apartment... Guess what? I am flooded out! In fact, we had to cancel this week's podcast due to it. I received the emergency call on Friday night that water was coming into my place, I rushed home (I was about 45 minutes away), when I got home there was plenty of water, but it wasn't everywhere, there were still dry areas... that did not last long... within an hour, my whole entire apartment was flooded. I spent all day yesterday pumping out the water (I had to borrow a pump), I also borrowed a shop vac to such up some of the water, but I could only get so far with that... Today I spent mopping up the non-carpetted areas and then I started the mammoth task of removing the water drenched carpeting by cutting up sections and removing it.

I am exhausted... but I need to get back to apartment... I haven't slept in my bed since Thursday night... whatever few hours of sleep I have had were on my mother's sofa... It's not fun.

It's literally been a nightmare. Everything I own is in my apartment (outside of my car of course) and there's water damage everywhere. I haven't assessed all the damage as of yet. Some stuff can not be replaced such as so much of my own artwork that has water damage now... I haven't even got to my bedroom yet to see how bad things might be in there (where so much of collectables are boxed up).

I sorry to learn that I am not alone in this situation, it seems to fairly common for people now living the northeast States... Of course, not as bad as New Orleans (with Katrina)... but still, when it hits home, it hits home.

I feel bad for your friend which is now homeless because his house was condemned. That is horrible.

Good luck to you, your family, and friend... and anyone else dealing with a similar situation... I know first hand how much of a horror story this can be.

with all this rain

Posted on: October 17 2005 @ 08:17 AM

Content:

Egads, Louis, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you do find your collectibles salvageable.

I was lucky - most of the stuff in my basement is either in plastic containers or stuff I had yet to go through to throw away or donate to charity. Guess what I'll be doing now?

with all this rain

Posted on: October 17 2005 @ 07:50 PM

Content:

Thanks... Yeah... It's been pretty gruesome so far... Just tearing up the carpeting and removing what is sitting on top of it, is no easy feat considering most of the furniture are storage units (bookshelves or media shelves holding DVDs, LDs, CDs, etc.), and all the AV equipment.

I already came across plenty of damaged collectables... even ones that were "protected" in plastic sleeves still got ruined.

Oh well, I can't undo what had happened. I'm not Superman where I can rotate around the Earth changing its rotation and thus reversing time (that never made sense to me, even as a kind watching it in the theaters).

The worse is yet to come when I finally get to the bedroom to see what destruction is waiting for me there.

I just want to get to the point where I can move back in.

Cheers,
Louis

with all this rain

Posted on: October 18 2005 @ 11:01 AM
By: cyface

Content:

Ahhh! I'm sorry to hear about your apartment, Louis, good luck with cleaning up everything!

with all this rain

Posted on: October 18 2005 @ 11:36 AM
By: DSCFord

Content:

Oh man that awful! I hope things go well with the clean up.

This brings back memories of a flood in my neighbourhood when a water main broke. Luckily I live on the top floor of a fourth floor walkup. When I looked for a top-floor apartment, all I was thinking about was noise and not have someone live above me. The possibility of a flood never crossed my mind.

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2005/0223/Front_Page/001.html
link

http://www.wnbc.com/news/4205494/detail.html
link

Wish you the best,
Dave

with all this rain

Posted on: October 18 2005 @ 10:46 PM

Content:

Thanks everyone Smile

I am still digging up all the carpeting... and dumping buckets of water out.

Having amassed a large collection of science fiction memorabilia over the years since I was a kid, my greatest fear had always been fire (I suppose it still is), but I never expected flooding (just as Dave mentioned).

I am making progress.. slow but sure... tomorrow, I will get to the the worse of it...

Hopefully, once all the water-drenched carpeting is removed, the foul odor will dissipate.

Cheers,
Louis

with all this rain

Posted on: October 19 2005 @ 04:53 PM

Content:

I have found another unexpected problem. It seems that my car (which sits in an open parking lot all day while I'm at work) now has an electrical short from all the rain. I don't have a left turn signal now, which technically is a safety violation. Hopefully it will be fixed by Monday.

with all this rain

Posted on: October 19 2005 @ 05:42 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Satai Styx] I have found another unexpected problem. It seems that my car (which sits in an open parking lot all day while I'm at work) now has an electrical short from all the rain. I don't have a left turn signal now, which technically is a safety violation. Hopefully it will be fixed by Monday.[/QUOTE]

In yet another parallel, my left front headlight went out during the 8 or 9 days of rain we received last week... Though I don't believe I have an electrical short, but I will see on Friday when I bring my car into the shop for regular maintenance and get the headlight replaced.

Sorry to learn of your electrical problems Satai.

I see they are predicting rain for Saturday and Sunday in my area now... Ugh... Not to mention that I just saw CNN tracking hurricane Wilma in the gulf right now, the strongest Atlantic hurricane ever recorded. Eek!

I'm still recovering from the last weather whipping -- I can't deal with anything new now.

Oh well.

Cheers,
Louis

with all this rain

Posted on: October 20 2005 @ 06:30 PM

Content:

Geez, we're a pair, aren't we? 'Though you got the worst hit with the domicile.

with all this rain

Posted on: November 02 2005 @ 05:46 PM
By: Talia Phoenix

Content:

Wow. That really stinks. Good luck with getting your lives and homes back to normal. It takes time, but believe me, it will happen eventually.

Smile

with all this rain

Posted on: November 03 2005 @ 06:42 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Talia Phoenix] Wow. That really stinks. Good luck with getting your lives and homes back to normal. It takes time, but believe me, it will happen eventually.

Smile [/QUOTE]

Thanks Talia,

It's been very challenging, but I am getting through this.. I just can't wait until it is all behind me. I've gone through most of the damaged stuff that needed immediate attention. Now I am trying to sort everything else out, moving stuff back in, replacing what needs to be replaced, throwing out everything that has been destroyed, etc.

We had more rain in that one week than we had in the entire summer season this year.

On the positive side, I have been able to reduce some of the clutter that has accumulated over the years.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=236