Subject: Delayed! The Trial Of A Time Lord

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 02:49 AM
By: Tin-Dog-Podcast

Content:

from the bbc site:

If you've being looking forward to the imminent DVD release of Doctor Who's most epic classic adventure, The Trial Of A Time Lord, then you'll have to wait just a little longer.

2entertain have announced that the four-disc set, originally slated for an August release, will now materialise on 29th September, 2008. We can't confirm or deny that this is due to meddling by The Valeyard...

To fill the gap, 2entertain have pulled forward the release of First Doctor tale The War Machines.

Seen by many as a precursor to the Earthbound UNIT era of Doctor Who, The War Machines sees William Hartnell battle tank-like robots and a mad computer living in London's Post Office Tower.

In other DVD news, the cover for the upcoming Fifth Doctor adventure Four To Doomsday has been released. Follow the link to check it out.

Replies:

Delayed! The Trial Of A Time Lord

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 12:24 PM
By: tarashnat

Content:

I made a brief mention of this in the Daemons DVD speculation thread yesterday...

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 08:40 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

Oh no! "Trial of a Time Lord" is delayed??? You mean I have to wait to see the worst season of Doctor Who ever? What a bleedin' travesty.

Posted on: August 11 2008 @ 10:35 PM
By: Louis

Content:

[QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical] Oh no! "Trial of a Time Lord" is delayed??? You mean I have to wait to see the worst season of Doctor Who ever? What a bleedin' travesty. [/QUOTE]

Hey, at least it didn't have any flying buses in space or candymen.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: August 12 2008 @ 12:19 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical] Oh no! "Trial of a Time Lord" is delayed??? You mean I have to wait to see the worst season of Doctor Who ever? What a bleedin' travesty. [/QUOTE]

I couldn't wait, and watched it last month...

Worst season by far was the 1993 season! It gave us Dimensions in Time Razz

Posted on: August 12 2008 @ 03:57 PM
By: barnabeee

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical] Oh no! "Trial of a Time Lord" is delayed??? You mean I have to wait to see the worst season of Doctor Who ever? What a bleedin' travesty. [/QUOTE]

Hey, at least it didn't have any flying buses in space or candymen.
Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

That's so unfair to the Candyman - a lousy monster, but actually quite a smart story that was (as usual) the victim of cheap production!

Oh - and this does not affect the US release, which is still on tap for early October!

Posted on: August 13 2008 @ 04:35 AM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical] Oh no! "Trial of a Time Lord" is delayed??? You mean I have to wait to see the worst season of Doctor Who ever? What a bleedin' travesty. [/QUOTE]Hey, at least it didn't have any flying buses in space or candymen. [/QUOTE]Well, flying buses aside, Delta and the Bannerman did at least have Ray, who would've been a far better companion than Ace. But, yah, thank God for the absence of the Kandyman. Still, it does kinda make me wonder: which is worse, a single appearance by that monster, or the completely unjustified return of Sil? And The Happiness Patrol, godawful though it was, can be said to have at least happened. We have no idea what of The Trial of a Time Lord is to be taken seriously. It's like the comic strips featuring John and Gillian. They're Doctor Who, in a way, but they're all just a dream of the Eighth Doctor. The Trial happened but . . . it really sorta didn't. Bleh.

It wasn't bad enough to force Colin Baker to wear that ridiculous costume, or to make him play an ill-defined character, or to saddle him with two forgettable companions, or to unceremoniously fire him. Oh no, they had to go and make half his era, in Douglas Adams' words, "disappear in a poof of logic". And even now they're screwing us with this story by making it cost almost as much as a BBC Wales season, like it's a freakin' epic adventure or something.

That thing better have the best extra features ever made to justify the price they're asking for it.

Posted on: August 13 2008 @ 08:38 AM
By: Idiom

Content:

Come on, Darth. Don't be coy. Tell us what you really think about Trial of a Time Lord.

Posted on: August 13 2008 @ 11:53 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical] We have no idea what of The Trial of a Time Lord is to be taken seriously. It's like the comic strips featuring John and Gillian. They're Doctor Who, in a way, but they're all just a dream of the Eighth Doctor. The Trial happened but . . . it really sorta didn't. Bleh. [/QUOTE]
Oh, but we do know. All the scenes that the Doctor objected to. That was clear even to my teenaged brain back in the day...

Posted on: October 02 2008 @ 05:52 AM
By: Tom Hagen

Content:

[QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical]That thing better have the best extra features ever made to justify the price they're asking for it. [/QUOTE]

They are - it has to be said very impressive extras. Trials and Tribulations is the definitive overview of the Colin Baker era and an incredibly well-balanced production. Its really good to hear Powell's take on events.

Posted on: November 09 2008 @ 06:04 PM
By: JeffL

Content:

I picked up my R-1 copy of it the other day. Eps. 5-8, aka "Mindwarp" has always been one of all time LEAST favorite stories. I never liked the way they wrote Peri out (although we know later what actually occured). I always hated the way the Doctor treated her during those episodes.

However I liked the addition of Sabalom Glitz. He's one of my very favorite supporting characters

Posted on: November 10 2008 @ 11:50 AM
By: T Baker(notTom)

Content:

[QUOTE BY= JeffL] I picked up my R-1 copy of it the other day. Eps. 5-8, aka "Mindwarp" has always been one of all time LEAST favorite stories. I never liked the way they wrote Peri out (although we know later what actually occured). I always hated the way the Doctor treated her during those episodes.

However I liked the addition of Sabalom Glitz. He's one of my very favorite supporting characters [/QUOTE]

Don't forget that the way The Doctor treated Peri in "Mindwarp" was not a true representation of the story - The Valeyard had manipulated the scenes on the screen to sway the people watching and give HIM the Doctor's remaning lives.

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 12:26 AM
By: Billyaxe

Content:

There is an awesome bonus feature on the Mindwarp DVD. Its the 1986 Children in Need special where 4 Doctors and 16 companions all appear on stage together. Wow what a gathering. --Billy

Posted on: January 24 2009 @ 07:45 PM
By: sfHeath

Content:

I'd never seen a Colin Baker episode before I was given Trial of a Time Lord for the holidays. My expectations were, shall we say, low. I was underwhelmed by the first four episodes, and didn't have high hopes; but I thought that Mindwarp was actually really good - except for the cliffhanger of Part 7, and the ridiculous skullcap they put on Nicola Bryant's head instead of shaving her hair. Really, if it's going to look that bad, cut the line that refers to it!

But, you know, solid sets (wasn't expecting); can't trust the Doctor, cool; and BRIAN BLESSED! WOOT! plus a script that actually made sense for a long time - until the Time Lord interference, anyway - and a companion killed. I really really liked it.

Knowing that it's all going to the dumps when I put the next disc in is a hard cross to bear. I almost want to just stop there. (But I can't.)

Posted on: January 25 2009 @ 06:17 AM
By: Mohan

Content:

I remember seeing Trial of a Time Lord back in the '80s--it was a difficult time for Doctor Who and I recall that it wasn't easy for me to see. My impressions of that time is that I was confused because I didn't get what happened at the end (don't want to give anything away). I intellectually understand what happened but it seemed like a bit of a loop hole with certain big things.

I'm rewatching it now (just finished Mindwarp--that you Netflix!) and I've not had the energy to see the next disc. I know I will finish it, but the shows were a bit lackluster. And Colin Baker was never one of my favorite doctors.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=26627