Subject: New DVDs

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 06:01 AM
By: Idiom

Content:

Here's a little mental game that I like to play with myself. Working out which story should be the next to be released on DVD for each Doctor.

Let's start with the First Doctor:

I would love to see the Tenth Planet released just because of its importance in terms of first regeneration and first appearance of the cybermen. I remember the target novel fondly.

It would be great if the missing last part could be animated but even a photographic slide show with the sound track would be better than nothing.

Any other ideas for the next Bill Hartnell story?

Replies:

New DVDs

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 09:41 AM
By: Dr. Hoo

Content:

I agree! I'd like to see Planet of Spiders released from the Pertwee years for similar reasons I'd really like to see all the regeneration stories released, even Time and the Rani (ducking for cover).

New DVDs

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 09:51 AM
By: tarashnat

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Dr. Hoo] I agree! I'd like to see Planet of Spiders released from the Pertwee years for similar reasons I'd really like to see all the regeneration stories released, even Time and the Rani (ducking for cover).[/QUOTE]

Planet of Spiders is available in the US iTunes store...

New DVDs

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 12:22 PM

Content:

DVD release news

New DVDs

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 03:05 PM
By: shockeye07

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] Here's a little mental game that I like to play with myself. Working out which story should be the next to be released on DVD for each Doctor.
Let's start with the First Doctor:
I would love to see the Tenth Planet released just because of its importance in terms of first regeneration and first appearance of the cybermen. I remember the target novel fondly.
It would be great if the missing last part could be animated but even a photographic slide show with the sound track would be better than nothing.
Any other ideas for the next Bill Hartnell story?[/QUOTE]
My Choice for each Doctor would be:
1st Doctor:The Space Museum
2nd Doctor:The War Games
3rd Doctor:Terror of The Autons
4th Doctor:The Deadly Assassin
5th Doctor:Snakedance
6th Doctor:Attack of the Cyberman
7th Doctor:The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

New DVDs

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 05:26 PM

Content:

Yes, definitely The War Games for the 2nd Doctor, I agree. I'm sure I heard rumours that they were preparing this. My local newspaper the Brighton Evening Argus had an ad asking people if they had photos or memories of this being filmed a while back. I'm not sure what its connection with Brighton is though.
But a definite must for DVD. Is it the longest existing story?

New DVDs

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 08:48 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] Yes, definitely The War Games for the 2nd Doctor, I agree. I'm sure I heard rumours that they were preparing this. My local newspaper the Brighton Evening Argus had an ad asking people if they had photos or memories of this being filmed a while back. I'm not sure what its connection with Brighton is though.
But a definite must for DVD. Is it the longest existing story?[/QUOTE]Well, it's the longest if you don't consider Trial of a Time Lord or The Key to Time as a single story. As for the Brighton connection, that was principal exterior location for the WWI battlefield seen in the earlier episodes of the serial. Technically, all that was filmed in a what's the euphemism? "waste reclamation facility" in Sheepcote Valley. Hardly Brighton proper, though; I really wonder how many respondents the newspaper got to that ad.

New DVDs

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 11:23 PM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] My local newspaper the Brighton Evening Argus had an ad asking people if they had photos or memories of this being filmed a while back. I'm not sure what its connection with Brighton is though.[/QUOTE]

I travel about round the UK quite a bit (combination of work, family and leisure). Whenever I go anywhere I'll always get the local paper to get a bit of a feel of the place I'm at - and by some distance the Argus is my favourite. Possibly because I've so much time for the town itself, don't know - but I do enjoy reading it.

Nothing to do with DVDs I know, but seeing as you mentioned it...

New DVDs

Posted on: August 08 2008 @ 11:39 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom]
Any other ideas for the next Bill Hartnell story?[/QUOTE]Given the general synergy that's existed between the 2Entertain and BBC Wales release schedules, I'm surprised that "The Romans" isn't out already. I would've thought that should've been this year's Hartnell, over "The War Machines".

In the same way that we've seen original series Sontaran stories released around the time of the release of "The Sontaran Stratagem", and "The Invasion" came out around the time of the Cybus Cybermen introduction, I would've thought "The Romans" would've been a natural fit around the release of "The Fires of Pompeii". Or at least "The Sensorites", given the explicit connections between them and the Ood.

If and when they do release "The Space Museum", I'm kinda hoping they do it on a double-bill with "The Chase", since the two are narratively linked in a stronger way than was typical of one Hartnell story to another.

Still, the one that's ripest for the most interesting extra features is probably "Planet of Giants". I'd love for some definitive documentary to be done on that story, since it took a lot of twists and turns behind the scenes. It should've been the pilot, but then wasn't; should've been a four parter, but then wasn't; should've been massively difficult to film on the budget allowed; but turned out to be pretty easy. It's just a weird, funky little story that you could make it into an entertaining meal with the right "package".

New DVDs

Posted on: August 09 2008 @ 03:40 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical] As for the Brighton connection, that was principal exterior location for the WWI battlefield seen in the earlier episodes of the serial. Technically, all that was filmed in a what's the euphemism? "waste reclamation facility" in Sheepcote Valley. Hardly Brighton proper, though; I really wonder how many respondents the newspaper got to that ad.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that information Darth. Now it makes me want to see the DVD even more being Brighton born and bred.
The Sheepcote valley is very amuch a part of Brighton just up the road from Roedean ( a very posh private school for girls). It's just that Brighton is a lot larger and more sprawling than many people think (altho obviously not on the scale of many American cities).
Any time you're here for a visit and mi casa...

New DVDs

Posted on: August 10 2008 @ 06:00 AM

Content:

As for the Third Doctor - there are so many choices. I'd love to see Planet of the Spiders obviously - it was the first regeneration I saw as a kid and I love the huge chase scene. I'd also like to see Planet of the Daleks - we don't have any 3rd Doctor and Daleks on DVD yet and this is one of the best (one of the best Dalek stories ever in fact).
However, I have to go with the Daemons - because the ensemble cast are there and because we just don't have enough of Roger Delgado yet - also because there are some obvious special features that could make this an excellent package!

New DVDs

Posted on: August 11 2008 @ 11:34 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] Yes, definitely The War Games for the 2nd Doctor, I agree. I'm sure I heard rumours that they were preparing this. My local newspaper the Brighton Evening Argus had an ad asking people if they had photos or memories of this being filmed a while back. I'm not sure what its connection with Brighton is though.
But a definite must for DVD. Is it the longest existing story?[/QUOTE]

The War Games filmed at various locations in Sussex. The Chase was filmed at Camber Sands in Sussex. The Restoration team asked in local papers for anyone who has memories of the filming of either of these story's to get in contact with them. They also recently asked, in a local paper, if anyone had memories of The Mask of Mandragora being filmed at Portmeirion in North Wales.

New DVDs

Posted on: August 13 2008 @ 08:40 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= shockeye07]The War Games filmed at various locations in Sussex. The Chase was filmed at Camber Sands in Sussex. The Restoration team asked in local papers for anyone who has memories of the filming of either of these story's to get in contact with them. They also recently asked, in a local paper, if anyone had memories of The Mask of Mandragora being filmed at Portmeirion in North Wales. [/QUOTE]
Sounds like some good stuff coming our way soon.
For the Fourth Doctor DVD I'd choose Seeds of Doom which I saw agains a few years ago and loved. For my part, you can't beat those Doctor/Sarah Hinchcliff seasons - maybe because I grew up with them.

New DVDs

Posted on: August 13 2008 @ 10:17 AM

Content:

The Restoration Team have put up preview articles for "The War Machines" & "Four To Doomsday" DVDs on their site. There is also a very good trailer for "The War Machines"

New DVDs

Posted on: January 02 2009 @ 03:59 AM

Content:

Here's my current list:
1st Doctor: the Tenth Planet (last part reconstructed of course)
2nd Doctor: The War Games
3rd Doctor: The Daemons
4th Doctor: The Seeds of Doom
5th Doctor: Snakedance
6th Doctor: Attack of the Cybermen (running out of good ones here)
7th Doctor: Dragonfire

New DVDs

Posted on: January 02 2009 @ 04:48 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] Here's my current list:
1st Doctor: the Tenth Planet (last part reconstructed of course)
2nd Doctor: The War Games
3rd Doctor: The Daemons
4th Doctor: The Seeds of Doom
5th Doctor: Snakedance
6th Doctor: Attack of the Cybermen (running out of good ones here)
7th Doctor: Dragonfire[/QUOTE]

Attack of the Cybermen is due for release in the UK in March.

New DVDs

Posted on: January 02 2009 @ 05:09 AM

Content:

Where do you get your release information from? What else is due out this year?

New DVDs

Posted on: January 02 2009 @ 06:31 AM
By: hypocaust

Content:

Early information on releases can be gathered from DWM plus what's been submitted to the BBFC (e.g. the extras for Attack of the Cybermen were submitted on 24/12/2008 here).

Also the stars/production team often mention if they've recorded a commentary but this can be misleading as the extras are made when the participants are available and don't necessarily mean a release is imminent e.g. Terror of the Autons commentary was done in 2001 and Planet of the Spiders commentary was done in 2007.

So far what looks like certain releases in 2009 are:
The E-Space trilogy on 26th January
The Rescue and The Romans packaged together on 23rd February
Attack of the Cybermen in March
The War Games in May

Wikipedia (take that as you wish but whoever updates it tends to be pretty accurate) lists Terror of the Zygons for June, Death to the Daleks for July, The Twin Dilemma in August and the whole of season 24 in September.

New DVDs

Posted on: January 07 2009 @ 04:07 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hypocaust]Wikipedia (take that as you wish but whoever updates it tends to be pretty accurate) lists Terror of the Zygons for June, Death to the Daleks for July, The Twin Dilemma in August and the whole of season 24 in September.[/QUOTE]

lol, well it turns out that all those Wikipedia entires were removed. That'll teach me Mr. Green
The releaes I listed as certainties in the previous post were all confirmed in the latest issue of DWM however, although no date was set for The War Games.

Other releases DWM mentioned scheduled for 2009 are:

-Frontier in Space/Planet of the Daleks box set. This will include a newly coloured episode 3 of Planet of the Daleks combining traditional colorisation and the new chroma dot colour recovery process.
-Delta and the Bannerman
-The Deadly Assassin
-Image of the Fendahl

New DVDs

Posted on: January 07 2009 @ 04:10 PM
By: barnabeee

Content:

ANd we have comfirmation of new US DVDs on May 5!

The E-Space Trilogy box set and Battefield! Hooray!

New DVDs

Posted on: January 07 2009 @ 04:31 PM
By: Ace

Content:

I would like a silver Nemesis DVD with all the extended footage like they did with curse of the fenric / Battlefield.

also some of the missing episodes like the 10th planet if we could the missing episodes replaced with the cartoon ones they did for the invasion also id like to see the deadly assassin released as well some time

New DVDs

Posted on: January 07 2009 @ 05:00 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Ace]also some of the missing episodes like the 10th planet if we could the missing episodes replaced with the cartoon ones they did for the invasion[/QUOTE]

The missing episodes won't be worked on until all survivng serials have been released. All surviving serials are scheduled to be released by the end of 2012.

More animated episodes are very unlikely.
This is a direct quote from Steve Roberts of the Doctor Who Restoration Team, when the subject was raised on the Doctor Who Technical forum earlier this week:

[QUOTE]"This has been discussed ad nauseum. The bottom line is that 2entertain cannot afford to animate any more episodes. The cost of animating the two episodes of 'The Invasion' would pay for three complete DVD releases of four-part stories, including all the remastering, extras, commentary etc.

The only reason 'The Invasion' was possible on DVD was because the episodes had already been paid for an animated by another part of the BBC and 2e simply bought the publishing rights, at a fraction of the production cost."[/QUOTE]

New DVDs

Posted on: January 07 2009 @ 06:38 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hypocaust] [QUOTE BY= Ace]also some of the missing episodes like the 10th planet if we could the missing episodes replaced with the cartoon ones they did for the invasion[/QUOTE]

The missing episodes won't be worked on until all survivng serials have been released. All surviving serials are scheduled to be released by the end of 2012.

More animated episodes are very unlikely.
This is a direct quote from Steve Roberts of the Doctor Who Restoration Team, when the subject was raised on the Doctor Who Technical forum earlier this week:

[QUOTE]"This has been discussed ad nauseum. The bottom line is that 2entertain cannot afford to animate any more episodes. The cost of animating the two episodes of 'The Invasion' would pay for three complete DVD releases of four-part stories, including all the remastering, extras, commentary etc.

The only reason 'The Invasion' was possible on DVD was because the episodes had already been paid for an animated by another part of the BBC and 2e simply bought the publishing rights, at a fraction of the production cost."[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Now, how will this get affected if the BBC purchases 2|entertain?

New DVDs

Posted on: January 07 2009 @ 06:44 PM
By: Mr. Magister

Content:

Here are my 2 cents/pence for each Doctor

1) Planet of the Giants
2) The Ice Warriors
3) Daemons
4) Seeds of Doom
5) Snakedance (looks like alot of us agree here)
6) Attack of the Cybermen
7) Greatest Show in the Galaxy

New DVDs

Posted on: January 07 2009 @ 06:46 PM
By: Mr. Magister

Content:

I don't want to start a new string here, but as we're talking about DVD's has anyone heard any information on whether Blake's 7 will be released on DVD in Region 1??

New DVDs

Posted on: January 08 2009 @ 03:21 PM

Content:

wow some great epsiodes coming to DVD this year. Planet of the Daleks has to be my favourite Dalek adventure and I haven't seen Fendahl since it was first broadcast.
Excellent. Better stop eating so that I save enough money!

New DVDs

Posted on: January 08 2009 @ 03:38 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hypocaust] [QUOTE BY= hypocaust]Wikipedia (take that as you wish but whoever updates it tends to be pretty accurate) lists Terror of the Zygons for June, Death to the Daleks for July, The Twin Dilemma in August and the whole of season 24 in September.[/QUOTE]

lol, well it turns out that all those Wikipedia entires were removed. That'll teach me Mr. Green
The releaes I listed as certainties in the previous post were all confirmed in the latest issue of DWM however, although no date was set for The War Games.

Other releases DWM mentioned scheduled for 2009 are:

-Frontier in Space/Planet of the Daleks box set. This will include a newly coloured episode 3 of Planet of the Daleks combining traditional colourisation and the new chroma dot colour recovery process.
-Delta and the Bannerman
-The Deadly Assassin
-Image of the Fendahl[/QUOTE]

Some fantastic DVD's to look forward to.
According to the article in DWM The War Games will be a triple disc set with commentaries on all 10 episodes & 2 hours worth of extras. I cannot wait to see the re-colourised Plant of the Daleks.

New DVDs

Posted on: March 18 2009 @ 08:29 PM

Content:

Some very interesting news regarding animated episodes here.

New DVDs

Posted on: March 19 2009 @ 06:21 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hypocaust] Some very interesting news regarding animated episodes here.[/QUOTE]

So which two do we think? My money's on The Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors.

New DVDs

Posted on: March 19 2009 @ 06:53 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] So which two do we think? My money's on The Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors.[/QUOTE]

That's my thinking as well.

New DVDs

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 09:49 AM

Content:

I have to say that the extras on the War Games make it look like a blinder!
Really looking forward to the Now and Then segment as it should be round about where I live! Fanboy excitement! Big Grin

New DVDs

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 11:07 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] I have to say that the extras on the War Games make it look like a blinder!
Really looking forward to the Now and Then segment as it should be round about where I live! Fanboy excitement! Big Grin [/QUOTE]

It looks like a great set doesn't it?

I'm less enthused about the Brendan Sheppard version of Enlightenment that's coming in the Black Guardian set. He's produced some of the most inane and unfocused DVD extras in the range and his re-edited version of Enlightenment made to "appeal to younger viewers" sounds hideous.

Just in case people aren't aware, here's an update of what is now confirmed for the UK for the rest of 2009.

22nd June Delta and the Bannermen
6th July The War Games
20th July Remembrance of the Daleks Special Edition (Previously only available in the Davros collection box set)
10th August The Black Guardian Trilogy
7th September The Twin Dilemma
21st September The Keys of Marinus
Decemberish The Dalek War box set

New DVDs

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 11:22 AM
By: jeffreysg

Content:

I'm looking forward to the Guardian trilogy as I really loved Turlough's initial character. I thought Mawdryn Undead was fantastic as was Enlightenment. I really can't wait to get them.

New DVDs

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 11:42 AM

Content:

Now that the Rememberance redoux will be available, I really think that it's time the Robots of Death is given the treatment it deserves.

New DVDs

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 12:11 PM
By: jeffreysg

Content:

Others I'd like to see on DVD
1st Doctor - Planet of Giants
2nd Doctor - Wheel in Space (With animation for missing)
3rd Doctor - Terror of the Autons
4th Doctor - Shada (Animated portions if need be, or with the Tom Baker narrative.)
5th Doctor - King's Demon's (I hold onto my five doctors VHS just so I can watch this episode.)
6th Doctor - Mark of the Rani (Was this ever released in Region one?)
7th Doctor - Time and the Rani (Yes, that's right)
8th Docotr - I'll let you guess.

New DVDs

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 12:57 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] Now that the Rememberance redoux will be available, I really think that it's time the Robots of Death is given the treatment it deserves.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I understand the picture quality could be greatly improved if it were done today and it could do with some better extras. I'd also like to see a revisit of Spearhead from Space with a transfer taken from the original film elements.

To be honest though, I'd prefer the Restoration Team concentrated on releasing all remaining unreleased, complete stories first before revisiting some titles with a deluxe treatment.

[QUOTE BY= jeffreysg] Others I'd like to see on DVD
1st Doctor - Planet of Giants
2nd Doctor - Wheel in Space (With animation for missing)
3rd Doctor - Terror of the Autons
4th Doctor - Shada (Animated portions if need be, or with the Tom Baker narrative.)
5th Doctor - King's Demon's (I hold onto my five doctors VHS just so I can watch this episode.)
6th Doctor - Mark of the Rani (Was this ever released in Region one?)
7th Doctor - Time and the Rani (Yes, that's right)
8th Doctor - I'll let you guess.[/QUOTE]

Well first, Mark of the Rani has been available in R1 since 2006.
All the existing complete stories are scheduled to be released by the end of 2012 so you have nothing to worry about with most of your wish list.
The others you mention are another more complicated matter regarding viability as a commercial product and I suspect The Wheel in Space would be pretty low down the list as it would need 4 episodes to be animated and isn't a particularly high profile serial.

As a fan of more archive TV than "just" DW I'd like 2 entertain to concentrate on shows which actually still exist in the BBC archive but remain unreleased, rather than on animating missing DW.
All "orphan episodes", remaining clips, soundtracks and telesnaps have been released/published, so much as I'd welcome it, I don't actually think they have a responsibility to do anything else especially not if it's at the expense of releasing archive TV that's still in existence.

New DVDs

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 02:08 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hypocaust] To be honest though, I'd prefer the Restoration Team concentrated on releasing all remaining unreleased, complete stories first before revisiting some titles with a deluxe treatment.
[/QUOTE]
I couldn't agree more.

New DVDs

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 10:38 PM
By: Chase

Content:

Time and The Rani should be relased with something else, but NOT Paradise Towers. Just so someone can feel they are buying something. And not feel as if they shold be paid to buy it.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=26628