Subject: British Place Names

Posted on: October 18 2008 @ 02:12 PM
By: backintheussr6

Content:

Following Louis' apology for getting British things wrong I thought I'd give a few hints on pronouncing some British place names.

1. Cheltenham - the 'ham' in names like this (Birmingham being the other obvious example) is pronounced 'um'. This helpful distinction means that I can talk about the largest city in Alabama and the second largest city in England without having to clarify which one I mean. This doesn't apply to East and West Ham where the 'Ham' is pronounced how you would expect it to be.

2. Worcester - This one has a ridiculous spelling and I understand why foreigners don't pronounce it correctly. It's actually pronounced 'Wusster'. Towcester though spelt in a similar way is actually pronounced 'Toaster' as in the thing that browns bread. Cirencester is pronounced how you expect it to be.

Anybody have any other daft British names that Louis might have to pronounce in an upcoming podcast?

Replies:

British Place Names

Posted on: October 18 2008 @ 02:29 PM
By: cybercolin

Content:

At least we don't steal place names, like our American friends do. Wink

How about the Welsh town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Yes it is a real place!

I hope they film an episode there soon, then Louis WOULD HAVE TO say it! Wink

British Place Names

Posted on: October 18 2008 @ 06:00 PM
By: Louis

Content:

[QUOTE BY= cybercolin] At least we don't steal place names, like our American friends do. Wink

How about the Welsh town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Yes it is a real place!

I hope they film an episode there soon, then Louis WOULD HAVE TO say it! Wink[/QUOTE]

No... No way. What are our Welch friends drinking?

British Place Names

Posted on: October 18 2008 @ 09:21 PM
By: Doctor Whoovie

Content:

I used to live in Shrewsbury, Mass right next door to Worcester. Actually, in that small part of New England the name is pronounced pretty much correctly.
I believe Satai Styx of these very forums lives there.

For really incorrect pronounciation by Americans try my hometown of Edinburgh, or our neighbour Glasgow. Both of these place names are typically murdered by our American cousins. And just a hunch but I don't think that either North Berwick, or Berwick-upon-Tweed would fair too well.

Just for kicks we could ask Louis to try saying Kirkcudbright, Llandudno, Armagh and Leicester, representing Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England respectively.

British Place Names

Posted on: October 18 2008 @ 09:34 PM
By: tarashnat

Content:

[QUOTE BY= cybercolin] At least we don't steal place names, like our American friends do. Wink [/QUOTE]

Steal? Most of those are hand-me-downs from when we were still British colonies... Rolling Eyes Razz

British Place Names

Posted on: October 19 2008 @ 06:07 PM
By: Justice

Content:

could be worse.

they could film at

Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphop-
nopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharn-
amornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit.

here

British Place Names

Posted on: October 19 2008 @ 07:05 PM
By: merlin_mccarley

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat] [QUOTE BY= cybercolin] At least we don't steal place names, like our American friends do. Wink [/QUOTE]

Steal? Most of those are hand-me-downs from when we were still British colonies... Rolling Eyes Razz [/QUOTE]

Or, depending on locale you must add Spanish & French to that list. But Hey, the English language is infamous for taking other languages into dark alleys and robing them blind and leaving them for dead, so cast not stones at your children before ye remove the log in your own ham Wink .

Merlin

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 04:27 AM
By: stjohnny

Content:

How's about Leicester (pronounces LESTER)
Or Edinburgh (Edin-brah)
Or Middlesborough (Middles-brah)
Or Brighton (pronounced Bright-UN, and not Bright-ON)

More when i can think of them

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 05:16 AM
By: romana_II

Content:

My friend has been working in England for the last 18 months, throught I'd share some of the assuming place names she's discovered.

Kingston Bagpuize, Oxfordshire
Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire
Bootle, Merseyside
Cheadle Hulme, Cheshire
(And now, a street name because I quite liked it) Mincing Lane, London
Witton Gilbert, County Durham
Little Writting, Suffolk
Cumboots, North Yorkshire
Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire
Ashford Carbonell, Shropshire
Tonypandy, Mid Glamorgan
Hetton le Hole, Tyne & Wear
Ducklington, Oxfordshire
Lytchett Matravers, Dorset
Ivinghoe Aston, Bedfordshire
Nun Monkton, North Yorkshire

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 06:00 AM
By: hypocaust

Content:

I'd be impressed if a non-UK resident pronounced Beaulieu correctly.

Not difficult to pronounce, but my favourite UK place name is Westward Ho!

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 07:23 AM
By: taff1a

Content:

[QUOTE BY= stjohnny] How's about Leicester (pronounces LESTER)
Or Edinburgh (Edin-brah)

More when i can think of them[/QUOTE]

...or depending where you're from in the UK...
Edinburgh (Edin-bruh)
Middlesborough (Middles-bruh)

There used to be an advert on UK TV advertising Worcestershire Sauce, with an american lady extolling the virtues of (spelt phonetically)... war chester shire sauce. Most of us in the UK would pronounce it (again phonetically-ish) wusstershuh (or wusster for short) sauce. Laughing Out Loud

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 07:29 AM
By: taff1a

Content:

Then again, I grew up in the South Wales Valleys, and there are a fair few charming, if daft, place names, and don't get my dad started on their pronunciation.

Near Merthyr Tydfil, there's a small village called PANT.
There's another small village near to where I grew up called ABERBEEG.
When I was at Secondary School (the blandly named Oakdale Comprehensive School) we often played against another local school located in CWMFELLINFACH. Then again, I went to PONTLLANFRAITH junior school.

C'mon Louis, 'avago. Big Grin

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 08:17 AM
By: BongMong

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= cybercolin] At least we don't steal place names, like our American friends do. Wink

Yes it is a real place!

I hope they film an episode there soon, then Louis WOULD HAVE TO say it! Wink[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, actually, our Welsh friends drink brains.

The brewery that services Cardiff is Brains Brewery. It always used to be the case (still?) that there was a big sign on the way in to Cardiff exclaiming 'Drink Brains!'. Might explain Ianto's girl friend...

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 08:57 AM
By: shockeye07

Content:

[QUOTE BY= stjohnny] How's about Leicester (pronounces LESTER)
Or Edinburgh (Edin-brah)

Nottingham is pronounced Nottinghum

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 10:41 AM

Content:

[QUOTE]Well, actually, our Welsh friends drink brains.

The brewery that services Cardiff is Brains Brewery. It always used to be the case (still?) that there was a big sign on the way in to Cardiff exclaiming 'Drink Brains!'. Might explain Ianto's girl friend...[/QUOTE]

Ah, lovely Brains Bitter (which sounds even better!) It's is quite good!

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 10:41 AM

Content:

[QUOTE]At least we don't steal place names, like our American friends do.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to sound disrespectful btw, I just find it amazing how many places in your huge country have smaller counterparts here with the same name! Like who would have thought that a city famous for making Kit Kats is the inspiration behind naming New York? (well okay, the Duke of York, but the point still stands!) It's crazy!

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 12:57 PM

Content:

I KID YOU NOT! IT REALLY EXISTS!

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 01:46 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= cybercolin] [QUOTE]At least we don't steal place names, like our American friends do.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to sound disrespectful btw, I just find it amazing how many places in your huge country have smaller counterparts here with the same name! Like who would have thought that a city famous for making Kit Kats is the inspiration behind naming New York? (well okay, the Duke of York, but the point still stands!) It's crazy![/QUOTE]

Well, the Brits named it New York. It was New Amsterdam before that... as the Dutch weren't too original either. Americans tended to use the indigenous Indian's names, though probably mangling them in the process.

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 01:50 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= shockeye07] [QUOTE BY= stjohnny] How's about Leicester (pronounces LESTER)
Or Edinburgh (Edin-brah)

Nottingham is pronounced Nottinghum[/QUOTE]

I always thought it was: Noth-ing-home Wink

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 02:44 PM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= cybercolin] At least we don't steal place names, like our American friends do. Wink

Yes it is a real place!

[/QUOTE]

This is actually quite close to where a friend of my comes from. This is a geniune postcard I've been sent!

Her friend can say it fluently, and when she's p****d it sounds very funny, the gogogoch at end is really given some welly!

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 04:15 PM
By: Louis

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Tardis-Knight] [QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= cybercolin] At least we don't steal place names, like our American friends do. Wink

Yes it is a real place!

[/QUOTE]

This is actually quite close to where a friend of my comes from. This is a geniune postcard I've been sent!

Her friend can say it fluently, and when she's p****d it sounds very funny, the gogogoch at end is really given some welly!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, a little too much ale for those deciding on town names. NUI - Naming Under the Influence. As you can see, it can be very dangerous!

Cheers,
Louis

British Place Names

Posted on: October 20 2008 @ 04:54 PM

Content:

See what happens when you let a cobbler name your railway station...

British Place Names

Posted on: October 21 2008 @ 05:16 AM

Content:

Do you think Ae every gets jealous?

British Place Names

Posted on: October 21 2008 @ 06:16 AM
By: dave hingley

Content:

How about this for place names

Wookey Hole in glastonbury, where attack of the cybermane was filmed

wigwig round by bridgnorth

also there is a place near me called Lickey end

British Place Names

Posted on: October 21 2008 @ 12:57 PM
By: shockeye07

Content:

Apparently Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgwynmgyllgogerychyrrndrobwllllantysiliogogogch translates in English as "St Marys church in the hollow of the white hazel to the rapid whirlpool of Llantysilio of the red cave". Sounds like a third Doctor story to me.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=27499