Subject: Torchwood Reference in Knight Rider

Posted on: November 07 2008 @ 09:12 AM
By: kwlinder

Content:

Not sure if anyone saw this or if it has already been mentioned elsewhere, but on the latest Knight Rider episode from 11/6 (Knight of the Living Dead), the character who plays Billy Morgan (played by Paul Campbell, who you may recognize from Battlestar Galactica) was dressed up as Captain Jack for Halloween and made reference to Doctor Who and Torchwood in the show.

It's always nice to see a nod to Doctor Who and Torchwood in a primetime show on one of the major networks here in the US.

Replies:

Torchwood Reference in Knight Rider

Posted on: November 07 2008 @ 06:19 PM
By: daveac

Content:

[QUOTE BY= kwlinder]

It's always nice to see a nod to Doctor Who and Torchwood in a primetime show on one of the major networks here in the US.[/QUOTE]

Well said - a nice nod to other SF fans and shows.

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: November 07 2008 @ 06:48 PM
By: tarashnat

Content:

Does this presage David Hasselhoff as the next Doctor?

Posted on: November 07 2008 @ 08:32 PM
By: Justice

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
Does this presage David Hasselhoff as the next Doctor?[/QUOTE]

Neutral

Posted on: November 08 2008 @ 05:50 PM
By: drewshi

Content:

[QUOTE BY= kwlinder] Not sure if anyone saw this or if it has already been mentioned elsewhere, but on the latest Knight Rider episode from 11/6 (Knight of the Living Dead), the character who plays Billy Morgan (played by Paul Campbell, who you may recognize from Battlestar Galactica) was dressed up as Captain Jack for Halloween and made reference to Doctor Who and Torchwood in the show.

It's always nice to see a nod to Doctor Who and Torchwood in a primetime show on one of the major networks here in the US.[/QUOTE]

Not only did they mention Torchwood and Doctor Who, but they got into Jack's sexuality as the female geek person asked the male geek in Jack costume, "Isn't Jack gay?" To which he quickly explains that Jack is bisexual. Gary Thompson, series producer of Knight Rider, has been quoted as saying he is a fan of Torchwood. In fact, he brought up Torchwood when the whole question of Sydney Poitier's character's sexuality came up recently. In the pilot, she was gay, or at least that's what everyone read into it as she climbed out of bed with another woman. NBC wanted that played down for the series, but Thompson was going to leave the whole thing up in the air. He likened it to Jack - http://scifipulse.net/?tag=gary-scott-thompson

Posted on: November 08 2008 @ 08:29 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

Yeah I just saw this—I guess they're replaying it on Saturday night—and I was a little taken aback. I wish I could say it was cool, but it was just embarrassing. How the hell could the average US audience member gotten anything out of that scene? Torchwood is only on BBC America, people. The average person watching Knight Rider on broadcast TV didn't get the joke. And it wasn't even a funny joke. The only good thing about it was that it came at the top of the hour, so I didn't have to waste my time with the rest of the show.

Not that I was the biggest Knight Rider fan, anyway, but any show that would pander to a niche of a niche of a niche—just to make a gay joke—should be replaced swiftly.

Posted on: November 10 2008 @ 06:03 AM
By: drewshi

Content:

[QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical] Yeah I just saw this—I guess they're replaying it on Saturday night—and I was a little taken aback. I wish I could say it was cool, but it was just embarrassing. How the hell could the average US audience member gotten anything out of that scene? Torchwood is only on BBC America, people. The average person watching Knight Rider on broadcast TV didn't get the joke. And it wasn't even a funny joke. The only good thing about it was that it came at the top of the hour, so I didn't have to waste my time with the rest of the show.

Not that I was the biggest Knight Rider fan, anyway, but any show that would pander to a niche of a niche of a niche—just to make a gay joke—should be replaced swiftly.
[/QUOTE]

So, I guess the Tom Baker references in both The Simpsons and Family Guy were a waste of time too. Look, I get your point about the gay joke. I don't agree with it, but I get it, but the producer's a fan and any chance to make a Who reference and hopefully bring it out to a larger audience should not be knocked, even if it's done on a show that not many people are watching.

For that matter, I shouldn't have my Torchwood logo decal on the car of my window, as it might distract the average driver who doesn't get BBC America, and thus could cause a major accident.

Posted on: November 19 2008 @ 07:16 PM
By: General_Chris

Content:

The New Knight Rider isnt too bad. Made better by the fact that there is nothing else on on Wednesday night. But its a pretty good show.

Personally, I laughed so hard and was excited at the Captin Jack reference and then again as another character comes in as Claire from Heroes. I thought it was absolutely fantastic that an American show is throwing DW/TW references into its show.

Here is the scene in question where Knight Rider characters dressed up as Capatin Jack from DW/TW and Claire from Heroes.

Posted on: November 20 2008 @ 09:15 AM
By: sgb1975

Content:

[QUOTE BY= General_Chris] The New Knight Rider isnt too bad. Made better by the fact that there is nothing else on on Wednesday night. But its a pretty good show.
[/QUOTE]
No Hoff + No William Daniels = No interest

Posted on: November 20 2008 @ 10:13 AM
By: seanhuxter

Content:

[QUOTE BY= sgb1975] [QUOTE BY= General_Chris] The New Knight Rider isnt too bad. Made better by the fact that there is nothing else on on Wednesday night. But its a pretty good show.
[/QUOTE]
No Hoff + No William Daniels = No interest[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Like any remake. It sucks without the original people. So for Battlestar Galactica, no Lorne Green and no John Collicos = No Interest.

Like Doctor Who. No Tom Baker and no Janet Fielding = No Interest.

Rolling Eyes

Posted on: November 20 2008 @ 02:25 PM
By: Louis

Content:

Thanks General_Chris... I still haven't caught the new Knight Rider series. When is it on?

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: November 20 2008 @ 02:32 PM
By: Louis

Content:

[QUOTE BY= seanhuxter]

Agreed. Like any remake. It sucks without the original people. So for Battlestar Galactica, no Lorne Green and no John Collicos = No Interest.

Like Doctor Who. No Tom Baker and no Janet Fielding = No Interest.

Rolling Eyes [/QUOTE]

No, don't you mean with Doctor Who... No William Hartnell and no Carole Ann Ford?

And if it's not Kirk Alyn, it's not Superman.

OK, I will stop, I was just having some fun here.

Posted on: November 20 2008 @ 03:51 PM
By: kwlinder

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]

Thanks General_Chris... I still haven't caught the new Knight Rider series. When is it on?

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Louis, its on NBC Wednesdays at 8pm EST. I think they also replay on Saturday night as well.

Posted on: November 20 2008 @ 04:49 PM
By: General_Chris

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]
You're Welcome Smile It airs on Wednesday nights at 8pm EST on NBC. Encore episode on Saturday at 8pm EST.

[QUOTE BY= sgb1975] [QUOTE BY= General_Chris] The New Knight Rider isnt too bad. Made better by the fact that there is nothing else on on Wednesday night. But its a pretty good show.
[/QUOTE]
No Hoff + No William Daniels = No interest[/QUOTE]

Actually, Hoff was in the premier movie special retaking his role as Michael Knight. They explain why he isnt still with Knight Industries and that the new leading male is Michael Knight's son. They even talk about how KITT has been upgraded since the last time he saw action and stuff. And not for nothing but the uncredited Val Kilmer as the voice of KITT is pretty good. They got the continuity down pretty well.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=27750