Subject: Companion for 11th Doctor?

Posted on: January 05 2009 @ 02:55 PM
By: daveac

Content:

Well now we know it's Matt Smith - they have started talking about his - the 11th Doctors - long term companion.

Digital Spy:-

'Lily Allen has emerged as the favourite to take on the role of The Doctor's assistant, reports The Telegraph.'

here

Cheers, daveac

Replies:

Companion for 11th Doctor?

Posted on: January 05 2009 @ 04:56 PM
By: deckard973

Content:

Wow she is very attractive. On looks alone I would vote her in. Big Grin

Posted on: January 05 2009 @ 09:10 PM
By: Doctor Whoovie

Content:

The earthside stories could get interesting if her brother Alfie is involved. (parental discression required)

After seeing her talk show I wonder if she could make it through a whole episode with calling someone a Tw*t.

Posted on: January 05 2009 @ 09:13 PM

Content:

Given Steven Moffat's coupling connection how about Sarah Alexander for companion.

Posted on: January 05 2009 @ 09:20 PM
By: romana_II

Content:

This might be just me, but I would like Jenny and a male companion for eleven.

Kind of like the combination of Susan with Ian.

But as for specific actors, I don't really know yet.
All I know is that I want a male companion more than anything.

Posted on: January 05 2009 @ 11:26 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

Well, clearly I have no idea what's going on in Moffat's mind with respect to casting. And, really, anyone who says they do, in the light of the Matt Smith casting, is probably lying. As long as she can act, I don't really care. Course, it would be nice if she were joined by a second, preferably male, companion.

Posted on: January 05 2009 @ 11:34 PM
By: geekweekFL

Content:

i totally agree with mr. Darth. Why are we speculating so soon about companions when clearly the one they pick won't be on anyone's list. I think The Grand Moff has proven he can choose against everyones expectations.
cheers
West

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 12:10 AM
By: Billyaxe

Content:

Im surprised no one has suggested River Song. --Billy

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 07:31 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= geekweekFL] i totally agree with mr. Darth. Why are we speculating so soon about companions when clearly the one they pick won't be on anyone's list. I think The Grand Moff has proven he can choose against everyones expectations.
cheers
West[/QUOTE]

Well it's fun.

How about Wendy Padbury and Fraiser Hines?

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 07:51 AM
By: stjohnny

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Billyaxe] Im surprised no one has suggested River Song. --Billy[/QUOTE]

They'd have to cast a much younger actress to play River Song, as it was obvious she'd been with the Doctor for a many number of years.
Which brings me to my next point, they'd have to cast a 'fairly' younger cast to bounce off the younger-aged-cast-Doctor, as any middle-aged or older companion wouldn't bounce off as well.
IMO

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 07:51 AM
By: Tin-Dog-Podcast

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac]

Cheers, daveac
[/QUOTE]

inspired!

im holding out for Evlin...

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 08:09 AM
By: Milamber

Content:

Rachel Hurd Wood as a naive human from the past. And a male human/alien from the future. Yeah, it'll be hard to cast a male companion who doesn't steal the young-looking Doc's limelight, so perhaps an blustering older male who thinks he knows better than the Doctor.

Or Carey Mulligan. Would love to see plutonic sparks flying between her and Matt. And Bernard Cribbins can tag along for the ride.

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 09:10 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac] Well it's fun.[/QUOTE]Well, quite. And in that spirit alone, understanding that I have no demonstrated ability to track Steven Moffat (except, perhaps, on his insistence that the Doctor is in fact a sexual being), I guess I do have a sort of name to put forward. Why not keep the Party Animals casting theme going and give the nod to Shelley Conn?

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 01:09 PM
By: Ace

Content:

I wouldn't mind Lilly Allen as the next companion, although i would like to see Sheridan smith who has done well with the 8th doctor audio's and she also did rather well in Johnathan creek the other night. be given a chance to audition

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 01:13 PM
By: doogie448

Content:

What about the girl who played Annie in Life on Mars?
Or They killed off the girl who played Marian on Robin Hood?
But it will probably be somebody we haven't heard of.

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 04:47 PM

Content:

Shelley Conn, Lucy Griffiths and Liz White are good choices.

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 05:13 PM
By: Dalzo

Content:

Not a new thought by any means but I would like to see more of Sally Sparrow...

Posted on: January 09 2009 @ 03:45 AM

Content:

I love Liz White, she's brilliant and simply adorable, but I don't think it'll happen since I have read an interview a while ago with her saying that she didn't want to be a Doctor Who girl.

Posted on: January 09 2009 @ 09:27 AM

Content:

Maybe the TARDIS could go into the Jurassic Age and pick up Abby (Hannah Spearitt). He likes singers for companions!! On seconds thoughts maybe Claudia (Lucy Brown) would be better.

Posted on: January 09 2009 @ 11:24 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Doctor Whoovie]
On seconds thoughts maybe Claudia (Lucy Brown) would be better.
[/QUOTE]

Let's consider those two girls again:-

Claudia looks just like Ace :-)

And there's Liz:-

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 09 2009 @ 12:31 PM
By: Fairport

Content:

How about going in the opposite direction? Why not pair up the youngest actor to portray the Doctor with a female companion of retirement age. I personally love the interaction between the 6th Doctor and Evelyn Smythe in the Big Finish audio productions. I think it would make for an even more fascinating pairing to see a similar character travel across the universe with the 11th Doctor.

Posted on: January 09 2009 @ 03:03 PM
By: Idiom

Content:

Ah Dave, Dave, how I've missed your pictures! Twisted Evil

Posted on: January 09 2009 @ 03:09 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac]

Well it's fun.

Cheers, daveac
[/QUOTE]

Well - I was ahead of the game again :-)

'Frazer Hines is keen to reprise his role as companion Jamie McCrimmon in the modern incarnation of Doctor Who.'

here

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 09 2009 @ 03:14 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] Ah Dave, Dave, how I've missed your pictures! Twisted Evil [/QUOTE]

Well how about this lady - Naoko Mori - from Torchwood

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 09 2009 @ 03:25 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Fairport] Why not pair up the youngest actor to portray the Doctor with a female companion of retirement age. [/QUOTE]

Nah!

Posted on: January 09 2009 @ 03:26 PM

Content:

How about India Fisher though, she seems to be travelling with more and more Doctors these days, a regular SJS.

Posted on: January 09 2009 @ 07:05 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Doctor Whoovie] [QUOTE BY= Fairport] Why not pair up the youngest actor to portray the Doctor with a female companion of retirement age. [/QUOTE]

Nah![/QUOTE]

Hahaha! Well that answer definitely gets to the point. Wink Still, I like your idea regarding India Fisher. I've always been a fan of her work on Big Finish. Plus, I also happen to think she's uber-cute.

Posted on: January 09 2009 @ 07:06 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac] [QUOTE BY= daveac]

Well it's fun.

Cheers, daveac
[/QUOTE]

'Frazer Hines is keen to reprise his role as companion Jamie McCrimmon in the modern incarnation of Doctor Who.'

here

Cheers, daveac
[/QUOTE]

What I wouldn't give to see Jamie back in the Tardis. I hope Mr. Moffat is listening.

Posted on: January 10 2009 @ 01:11 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Fairport]
What I wouldn't give to see Jamie back in the Tardis. I hope Mr. Moffat is listening. [/QUOTE]

And I second that!

I doubt it will happen through.

And dave, that is a gorgeous picture of Naoko. ^_^

Posted on: January 10 2009 @ 02:06 AM
By: Louis

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Fairport] [QUOTE BY= daveac]

here

Cheers, daveac
[/QUOTE]

What I wouldn't give to see Jamie back in the Tardis. I hope Mr. Moffat is listening. [/QUOTE]

Aye, that would be interesting to be sure.

Though I would be surprise if they cast any companion which is more than twice the age of the actor cast as the Doctor.

As for Naoko Mori from Torchwood, I doubt it as she is too identified with her Toshi role from that series (and the bit part in Aliens of London) to play a new role as it would be difficult to play Toshiko now.

I loved Liz White in Life on Mars.

Of course, I might suggest Christian Cooke... either as a new character or reprising UNIT Private Ross Jenkins (who perhaps was not killed off after all as we were lead to believe). Wink

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: January 10 2009 @ 08:35 AM
By: Chase

Content:

For God'S sake have they never heard of a male companion? How about Tommy from IDIOT'S LANTERN?

Posted on: January 10 2009 @ 01:45 PM
By: T Baker(notTom)

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Chase] For God'S sake have they never heard of a male companion? How about Tommy from IDIOT'S LANTERN?[/QUOTE]

In the classic show there were several male companions (Ian, Steven, Ben, Jamie, Harry, Adric, and Turlough).

In the new shows there were Adam ("Dalek" & "The Long Game"), "Captain" Jack Harkness (from "The Empty Child to "The Parting of the Ways" and again in season 3 with the new Master Trilogy), and Mickey ("The Girl in the Fireplace", "The Rise of the Cybermen" & "The Age of Steel")

However I think that a female companion is meant to be the counterpoint of the Doctor's gender.

LATE NOTE: Just to clarify - I included only these three stories with Mickey because those are the only ones he was traveling with the Doctor in.
Also I could have included The Brigadier but didn't, even though he travelled with the Doctor in "The Three Doctors" and "Mawdryn Undead". TB

Posted on: January 10 2009 @ 04:36 PM

Content:

Just listened to the review of Season 4 podcast and it struck me that perhaps we know who the companion is already - River Song.

I suspect that she may be a Capt Jack type companion (i.e. in and out through the series).

Got any good pictures Dave?

Posted on: January 12 2009 @ 09:14 PM
By: mad4plaid

Content:

I'd love a "bloke" companion to go with the young Doctor. Someone, perhaps, to keep him from getting as stuffy at Ten does every once and awhile (or maybe I mean someone who can keep the Doctor from being less manic depressive as he is under Tennant's reign - fun loving then angry, fun loving then angry... give me some middle ground sometime!)

Posted on: January 17 2009 @ 01:32 PM

Content:

what about Sally and Larry from BLINK?

Posted on: January 17 2009 @ 01:32 PM

Content:

I also wouldn't mind Tomy from IDIOT'S LANTERN

Posted on: January 18 2009 @ 05:28 PM

Content:

There's an article in the Sunday Mirror today (I know, I know) tipping Michelle Ryan (The Bionic Woman, Merlin, Jekyl) as the new companion for the 11th Doctor.
If it's true then the only thing that I have to say is Phwoarrr! Yes, with a capital P.
A picture Dave?

Posted on: January 18 2009 @ 07:27 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] There's an article in the Sunday Mirror today (I know, I know) tipping Michelle Ryan (The Bionic Woman, Merlin, Jekyl) as the new companion for the 11th Doctor.
If it's true then the only thing that I have to say is Phwoarrr! Yes, with a capital P.
A picture Dave?[/QUOTE]

She was good in Merlin as well.

For a picture check out this blog:-

here

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: January 21 2009 @ 07:56 PM
By: silvanthalas

Content:

Right now, it seems like several of the names being tossed around are nothing more than a "Can we recreate Rose?" situation, all the way down to finding somebody with a background similar to Billie Piper's.

I can't say I'd want a repeat of that at all.

Posted on: January 22 2009 @ 08:32 AM
By: President Nice

Content:

I'd love to have a male companion for a change. What about the son from Midnight? People could keep mistaking the pair of them for brothers!
Seriously though, Id like to see an older companion or a male companion but I really don't think it will happen, not without a young female companion too. Mind you more than one companion would be interesting.
What I'd really like to see, and I don't expect this to ever happen, is for this younger looking Doctor to have a child companion. Someone like CAL from the Library episodes. I'd imagine that the Doctor would have difficulty persuading people that he was a responsible guardian, I suppose like Naj and Al in the remake of Survivors.
This would be the only way we'd get a totally original take on the companion.Of course it would never happen, the BBC would never allow a child to be seen in the sort of mortal danger companions usually find themselves in, plus it would make filming the series damn near impossible.

Failing that, let's have a brother and sister team of companions.

Posted on: January 22 2009 @ 08:48 AM
By: BongMong

Content:

If we're going to get a young, female assistant again (yet again) then I think Lucy should be given a chance at supporting the new Doctor on the TV. She's been really good on the radio.

It would be an interesting time war link. She would be a great tool to reveal some of his past.

Perhaps her rack would be too distracting though...? Smile~

Posted on: January 22 2009 @ 09:34 AM
By: cybercolin

Content:

For those who want an OLD and a MALE companion - how about George W. Gump - he has a lot of time on his hands now!

Posted on: January 22 2009 @ 09:30 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] There's an article in the Sunday Mirror today (I know, I know) tipping Michelle Ryan (The Bionic Woman, Merlin, Jekyl) as the new companion for the 11th Doctor.
A picture Dave?[/QUOTE]

maybe be spoiler, but since it's been announced by the BBC anyway

------

from OG today.
She's been cast in the Planet of the Dead as the main guest companion Lady Christina de Souza.

That might rule her out of being Eleven's companion... but then again, weired things have happened.

Posted on: January 23 2009 @ 12:23 AM
By: Louis

Content:

Michelle Ryan has only been announced for Doctor Who: The Planet of the Dead, the next upcoming special slated for April. There's no indication that she will be a companion for the 11th Doctor. Although that is how Catherine Tate got started, we will have to wait and see what happens. Until then, we mustn't just to conclusions.

Also announced is Lee Evans for this special.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: January 29 2009 @ 04:45 PM
By: FixerMX

Content:

Damn the torpedoes. Full steam ahead. Let's overcrowd the TARDIS.

Sally Sparrow.
Larry Nightengale.

and...

Jackson Lake.

Posted on: January 30 2009 @ 03:12 AM

Content:

I approve...

I would love Jackson in the Tardis, he was so marvellous, but sadly I don't think David Morrissey would play off Matt Smith as well as he did with David Tennant.

Plus I doubt that it will ever happen.

Posted on: January 30 2009 @ 09:23 AM
By: sgb1975

Content:

All I know is if they pick Amy Winehouse, then I'm leaving. For good. Seriously.

Posted on: February 20 2009 @ 07:06 AM
By: Dart of Harkness

Content:

Hi there. First post here. My choice would be Katie Leung - Cho Chang in the Harry Potter movies. I think she'd be great alongside Matt Smith's Doctor. Availability might be a problem, though.

Posted on: February 20 2009 @ 10:56 AM

Content:

It appears that a new companion for The Doctor has been selected.

Lindsay Duncan is said to be the one (from the BBC). I don't know anything about her but the information saying that she is a companion is:

Lindsay Duncan to star in the second Doctor Who Special of 2009

If you look at the last line of the fifth paragraph it states

"We are delighted to announce that she will be joining the team and playing the Doctor's most strong-minded companion yet."

Now I don't know if she will be a true companion or not (actually travelling with The Doctor in more than one story), but we do know that she will appear in the show.

CHEERS!!!

EDIT: Just went to wikipedia to find out about her and this is what I found:

Lindsay Duncan

It turns out I have seen her before - I just didn't know it.

Posted on: February 20 2009 @ 11:42 AM
By: hypocaust

Content:

[QUOTE BY= T Baker(notTom)] It appears that a new companion for The Doctor has been selected.

Lindsay Duncan is said to be the one (from the BBC).[/QUOTE]

I mentioned that in this thread yesterday. I'm pretty certain it'll be a one off appearance or at most she'll appear in one more of the specials. I'd be amazed if she carried on as a "real" compaion for a full series.

Posted on: February 20 2009 @ 12:18 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hypocaust] [QUOTE BY= T Baker(notTom)] It appears that a new companion for The Doctor has been selected.

Lindsay Duncan is said to be the one (from the BBC).[/QUOTE]

I mentioned that in this thread yesterday. I'm pretty certain it'll be a one off appearance or at most she'll appear in one more of the specials. I'd be amazed if she carried on as a "real" compaion for a full series.[/QUOTE]

I'd be surprised too, especially since she has a full movie career to maintain and the wiki page I linked to mentions a movie for 2010 (Alice in Wonderland) so she'll have that filming schedule to deal with. I think she'll be a one-on character - but in the world of "Doctor Who"... who knows?

PS: I saw the link you had but couldn't remember where it was, so I could reference it. My apologies.

Posted on: February 23 2009 @ 10:56 PM

Content:

Lily Allen reminds me of Zoe in her new video clip. I could imagine her trying to take control and the new Doc having to reign her in. And she can pull off just about any outfit.

Posted on: March 10 2009 @ 10:31 PM

Content:

That great, reliable newspaper, The Sun, is reporting that Hannah Murray (played Cassie on the first two seasons of Skins) is going to be the new companion.

Digital Spy

Posted on: March 11 2009 @ 10:53 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid] That great, reliable newspaper, The Sun, is reporting that Hannah Murray (played Cassie on the first two seasons of Skins) is going to be the new companion.

Digital Spy[/QUOTE]

Not a definite "yes or no" because in the same article it has this line (next to last paragraph):

"Other stars reportedly being considered for the role include Georgia Moffett, Lily Allen and Kelly Brook".

... And we won't know until the new season because of the last line in the story:

"Russell T. Davies has confirmed that he does not want to "ruin anyone's chances" of being cast as the fifth series companion by using them in this year's specials".

If this is true it's too soon to know.

Posted on: March 12 2009 @ 03:50 PM

Content:

I'm a little — for lack of a better word — skeptical of this Hannah Murray thing. She's still at university, and has already used up her gap-year doing Skins. She claims to be very serious about finishing her degre, which will take her to 2010/11. I just don't think she can commit to a full 9-month shooting schedule in 2009/10 and do her work at Cambridge. Unless, of course, she's reneged on her stated desire to finish her education — something that seems unlikely, given that both her parents are university professors.

Posted on: March 12 2009 @ 04:43 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical] I just don't think she can commit to a full 9-month shooting schedule in 2009/10 and do her work at Cambridge. Unless, of course, she's reneged on her stated desire to finish her education — something that seems unlikely, given that both her parents are university professors.[/QUOTE]
Or that might just make it more likely - knowing British kids!

Posted on: March 12 2009 @ 04:47 PM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

I've just read through this thread for the 1st time and it's interesting to see who is mentioned.

The idea of Lily Allen quite frankly scares me - but then so did Rose. Maybe I'd be surprised. She's definitely hot enough and cool enough right now. It would be as bold as it would be safe.

I've never heard of Hannah Murray - but the two of them together - at least visually (they'd look like a pair of 6th formers) - wouldn't create too much of an authoritative fear factor for the baddies with whom they're doing battle.

An Evelyn Smyth type character would be good in some respects, but I can't imagine the Beeb (or SM) would be that bold (at least not at first).

I like Michelle Ryan. Also the Life on Mars actress too.

Posted on: March 12 2009 @ 09:36 PM

Content:

I am hoping they choose either an older companion or just a bloke to travel with 11 at first.

Do you think we are going to have to deal with age jokes? I'm hoping there aren't season long references to his youth... then again, if there are I'll take it - just to have the Doctor back!

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 08:35 AM
By: hypocaust

Content:

The new companion will be played by Karen Gillan who previously appeared in The Fires of Pompeii as a Soothsayer. More details here.

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 09:38 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hypocaust] The new companion will be played by Karen Gillan who previously appeared in The Fires of Pompeii as a Soothsayer. More details here.[/QUOTE]
Well, from a frankly, quite superficial point of view: YUM!

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 10:33 AM

Content:

After watching Babylon A.D. I'd be happy for Mélanie Thierry to be the companion. They don't always have to be British.

But I'd also be happy with Rachel-Hurd Wood, Carey Mulligan, or Gretchen Mol.

Posted on: May 29 2009 @ 04:00 PM

Content:

Glad to see they're going for something different. An Earth girl? With red hair and who looks like Rose and might just be 19. Mmm, anything Martha about her? Oh is she a nurse or a studying doctor?

I originally thought they were going to have a COUPLE who were in love, a man and woman, join the Doctor, which has never been done before. Or has the man character not been cast? Or have they gone and played it safe, again?

I think just to mix it up they should give the Doctor a gay male companion and have him have a crush on the Doctor and have the Doctor return the feelings as he did toward Rose. So there! Take that! Well, they wn't obviously.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=29028