Subject: Journeying with the Second Doctor

Posted on: February 20 2009 @ 02:02 PM
By: Jodalmighty

Content:

Going from Hartnell to Troughton is a little jarring. I managed to see the regeneration on the Lost in Time boxed set but not seeing the events that led up to the first Doctor dieing or what the first words of the second Doctor were nor the reactions of his companions was a bit of a disappointment. Its really put the Tenth Planet audio on the top of my con shopping list. Having put that aside in my mind I began to dig into Doctor Two (Lame joke I know but it made me giggle.)

Troughton is quite different when compared to Hartnell. Not better nor worse just different and I find myself starting to agree with the chaps on Podshock that my favorite doctor is whomever I'm watching at the time. Based on the photos I had seen of Troughton I was not quite prepared for what I was in for when I finally saw his Doctor. "Rather stern and wrinkly" was the impression I got when the dvds arrived. But his impish nature quickly won me over.

I loved seeing the early Cybermen and Jaime was a fantastic companion. I enjoyed the animated reconstructions of the lost two episodes of The Invasion. If we can't get the missing episodes back from the tombs of time, (or the heartless jerks who are bogarting them) I'd happily pay for the animated lost episodes. And those Ice Warriors were frikkin' awesome.

But then something horrible happened, I blinked and it was all over. Four stories and one set of Lost in Time nuggets and Troughton was gone. I know we have another Troughton dvd due in the states sometime in 2009 (and beeb, knock it off with the slow turn around from UK to US releases) and I'm sure we lost quite a few to that insane wiping policy but d@^^it I was really getting into Troughton and then he was gone. I am still very much looking forward to The War Games so I can see how his regeneration happens but I just felt I hardly got a chance to know him.

Replies:

Journeying with the Second Doctor

Posted on: February 20 2009 @ 05:00 PM
By: Milamber

Content:

I think it's time for you to hunt the bookstores for the old novelizations. They should go a long way to filling in the gaps for the first 2 doctors.

Posted on: February 20 2009 @ 05:56 PM
By: Jodalmighty

Content:

Its on the list of things to get and I will be keeping my eyes open for any copies at Wondercon next weekend. There is a whole lotta who and only so much money.

Posted on: February 20 2009 @ 09:00 PM
By: MikeD

Content:

All missing episodes are also available on audio either on CD or by download from the BBC Radio Collection.

Mike

Posted on: February 21 2009 @ 04:56 PM
By: Chase

Content:

Again for years I never felt I actually had a good feelfor the stories from the audios or the novels. Only recently I watched ALL the reconstructions and now I feel that I actualy have seen all the first and second Doctor stories, the true picture comes from the reconstrctions. The only one I felt really turned off by was GALAXY FOUR. It was a struggleto get through that one. Oh, and THE HIGHLANDERS

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=30011