Subject: Dodgy Advertisments

Posted on: March 03 2009 @ 06:41 PM
By: Doctor Whoovie

Content:

While I have no problem with the Embassy using on-screen advertizing to help defray server costs etc. Has anyone else followed the links in the "ads by google" box.

These lead to what are obviously counterfeit products. All four series of new Who in a single box set for $79.

All 752 uncut episodes of Dr Who in a box set for $229.

Has anyone ordered these??? If so was your bank account emptied?

Sources of legitimate products would be preferable.

Perhaps the same adverts do not show up worldwide. Here's are example links, if you can't see them.

here

here

Other links are legit, since one is for Mike's comics.

Replies:

Dodgy Advertisments

Posted on: March 03 2009 @ 09:09 PM
By: Louis

Content:

If they are bogus, Google should know about it. I don't know their policies for advertisers, but I can imagine they don't want illegitimate or fraudulent companies advertising on their service.

Cheers,
Louis

Dodgy Advertisments

Posted on: March 03 2009 @ 11:17 PM
By: T Baker(notTom)

Content:

This is very suspicious to me.

They claim to have EVERY episode - how can that be when so many from the first and second doctors' eras are missing?

I don't know about this.

PS:I checked on my web advisor and there is NO info from that website.

Dodgy Advertisments

Posted on: March 07 2009 @ 11:23 AM
By: Aurelius76

Content:

Have some light to shed on the matter.
A good friend of mine, a huge Who fan, bit the bullet and purchased one of these "complete" sets but not from one of the sellers advertising on the page. Here's what i can tell you.

Is it for real? Yes and no.

Yes you get a complete set--of copies. You are, in essence, buying a complete set of burned dvds. Technically, this is illegal, copyright infringement and such. If you don't have a problem with that, go right ahead. No, they didn't empty his bank account.

As to the missing early episodes, they were either: a) new versions with animation (if available); or b) they were production stills set to the audio tracks of the episode. In some cases, neither was possible and the seller clearly mentioned this.

95% of the episodes (he has all of them up to new Series 3) are excellent quality, the remaining 5% look like they are bad VHS copies.

Dodgy Advertisments

Posted on: March 08 2009 @ 09:36 PM
By: Louis

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Doctor Whoovie] ...

These lead to what are obviously counterfeit products. All four series of new Who in a single box set for $79.
All 752 uncut episodes of Dr Who in a box set for $229.
[/QUOTE]

I was just checking out the one on the Planet DVD Store and towards the bottom of this complete set description it states, "What an amazing DVD Set for the Alf Fan!"

Am I missing something? Alf fan?

Obviously this is not an official release.

P.S. - Out of curiosity, I checked to see if they were selling a complete Alf series on DVD. They are... and it has the same thing sentence included in its description. They were obviously just copying and pasting I am sure from the TV series box sets they are selling.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=30197