Subject: LA Times: Doctor Who fights the past and looks for the future

Posted on: March 03 2009 @ 11:47 PM
By: Louis

Content:

Arrow Doctor Who fights the past and looks for the future (Los Angeles Times).

Replies:

LA Times: Doctor Who fights the past and looks for the future

Posted on: April 05 2009 @ 08:12 PM
By: Chase

Content:

Thanks for this link. I've said it before and I'll say it again--and I hope I don't end up eating these words---but I think Matt Smith is going to be terrific!

No actor has ever failed as the Doctor. What failed in the past has been the scripts. If the scripts are strong, Matt will act his socks off for us, that I can be sure of. They aren't going to pick someone who cannot act. In addition, they want to keep em young because now that the DW team(S) have reigned in the younger girl audience...they want to keep them!

If the scripts and characters are good (to me one and the same), then Matt will be able to do his thing and act, regardless of whether or not he's a fan of the show. Hopefully the team can take the Doctor's character away from the machoismo, conceitedness, girl centered thoughts of the Tennant Doctor and away from the sad lonely Doctor stuff and make this show relevant again, fun again, and exciting, not just stupid as it's become. I can't wait. No, really, I can't wait. It needs a shot in the arm now.

My expectations for the remaining "specials" are very low and my hopes for the new season (5?) are high. I hope they can get away from the BIG Earth danger and do smaller stories with greater depth of chracter and emotion as they have over the past four years most of the time and over the earlier classic series...given us entertaining action filled tales on a smaller scale while making us care about what happens (such as no resets, no history changing with giant robots, and no Earth being moved). It's a big challenge with fresh blood and with RTD and Tennant gone, I think it can be done. Too bad it couldn't be done THIS year

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 04:16 AM
By: atomic99

Content:

Wow, I hope so. As thankful as I am for RTD's work, he should have moved on last year. I love Tennant and I was the guy, in the very beginning, that worried about too much hanky panky in the Tardis. He has been great but, like good scripts for Smith, I don't think Tennant was always getting the best material.

But I welcome some new directions. My only worry is, while I'll give Matt Smith a chance, the reason, as you said, to hire so young was to keep the young female audience and by doing that, we might be in store for another romantic Doctor with his companions and they won't have the balls to deviate from the formula too much. Worse yet, they go for the angsty young look (think Twilight). But, just as we once did for RTD, in Moffat I trust.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 03:36 PM
By: Chase

Content:

Yes I think you are correct: they don't deviate now much and they should. The reason the first season was so good because it deviated from established DW. Now they want ratings and to get that they will stick to the same old same old but even 15 year old girls will realize that the story is deadbeat if it is and leave in the millions I'm sure...if they stick to the same old same old, angsty, flirty Doctor. For once I'd like him to be oblivous to the girls around him.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=30204