Subject: Planet of the Dead [Spoiler Edition]

Posted on: April 11 2009 @ 06:22 PM
By: tarashnat

Content:

Feel free to add you thoughts and spoilers here

I liked this story. It had a lot of good pacing to it. The creatures reminded me of what the Nimon should have been, had they had decent special effects in the Tom Baker era.

Taras

Replies:

Planet of the Dead [Spoiler Edition]

Posted on: April 11 2009 @ 07:21 PM
By: Idiom

Content:

On the whole I feel that this episode lived up to its billing: a fun romp.
Things I liked: the opening shots - wondering when the Doctor would appear; another alien planet - a great looking landscape; an iconic English symbol looking so out of place in the desert; an interesting alien - the sting ray swarms who create wormholes and then ravage the planets they visit like locusts; Michelle Ryan - phwoarr - about time we had an interesting companion with an agenda like Lady Cristina; Malcolm - Lee Evans played him to perfection; UNIT - always good to see them; referencing of the Giant Robot; the trailer for The Waters of Mars; the pace of the story overall - it didn't feel too long or short (makes me wish that the regular series had 1-hour episodes as my biggest criticisms usually concern the production team making sacrifices to the stories in order to wrap them up in 42 mins)
Things that could have been better for me: the fly creatures (can't remember their names) looked just like something from the classic series ie somebody wearing a prosthetic head; the other passengers - for me they were just loose wheels and had nothing really to contribute to the story; the UNIT captain (also forgotten her name - her willingness to sacrifice the Doctor and yet later salute him - or maybe I liked this bit, I'm not sure yet); yet another prediction - I've had eough predictions after the last series and maybe there could be another technique for hinting of what's to come
Yes, I enjoyed this and nothing worried me too much - a solid 7 out of 10.

Posted on: April 11 2009 @ 11:24 PM
By: mad4plaid

Content:

I liked this story.

What really worked for me (no idea why) was that action was occurring at two locations - the alien planet and the tunnel. I liked the back and forth of that. (I did enjoy Lee Evans absent-minded professor bit as well).

When the bus arrived at the planet, the first thought I had was "I wonder how many are going to die?" I was surprised it was only the driver and the flies - I really expected another passenger or two to not make it through.

Lady Christina... well, I just felt her character was too much of a Lara Croft rip-off, down to the clothing. Still, the dialog between the two was very good banter. Not sure I get why the Doctor got onto the bus really, he could have followed the signal w/o getting on the bus I'd have thought. Loved the chocolate bunny (or egg, who could tell) at the beginning.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 01:27 AM
By: Doctor Whoovie

Content:

Well not bad, but a bit derivative. The basic set up on the Bus seemed like midnight, even though there were many locations there was the element of people who didn't know each other being thrown together.

I quite liked Christina (I suspect they might come back to her). Didn't really think of her as Lara Croft though - No guns, No Shorts, No ..... (plus she's not actually a thief). I wonder if like Rose she has a medal for gymnastics?
The cat Burglar bit was a bit too "Mission Impossible" for my liking.

The aliens looked like the Vincent Price fly. I was expecing to see a fly's body at the end with a human head on it!

The only thing I really object to was the flying bus. Seems too Harry Potter like (or Iris Wyldetime - which is even worse). The CGI bus seemed really fake, perhaps because a rushed special effect had to be substituded near the end when the bus was damaged on the location.

Didn't really like the way they had Capt Magambo behave about shutting the wormhole down. Can't really see the Brig. doing that (or Colonel Mace or General Sanchez for that matter). Seems more like the behavior that was attributed to Torchwood (Canary Wharf Branch Big Grin ).

The flying aliens reminded me of the 1950s War of the Worlds aliens War Machines for some reason.

I did appreciate that the alien planet didn't actually look like a quarry. Though my Son was convinced that the desert was CGI.

Trailer for the next episode looks more promising.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 02:32 AM
By: Chase

Content:

Okay, I don’t know what to make of that. It certainly wasn’t as bad as NEXT DOCTOR and had pace, action, and some good character stuff. Perhaps I’m just tired of this Doctor and he needs to move on as much as RTD. There’s something missing, inherently. Much of the dialog from the Doctor is patronizing, familiar, far beyond egotistical, and dull at this stage. His dialog offers nothing new. His “interaction” with the leading lady forced and flirty, for no reason…and then he lets her not come with him in the end. His “loss” bit of speech at the end is annoying already. He didn’t lose all of them…he cast them some of them aside at times (Rose, Sarah Jane). Malcolm seemed unnecessary but I guess they were doing the same thing they did in the DEAMONS with the UNIT scientist trying to get the forcefield open. The effects in this were adequate, the story okay if a bit too TREMORS, PITCH BLACK, and THE FLY for me. The alien flies: why did they have clothing on? How can spaceships have vents that the monsters can get through, in space? Why a big red button over a force field security device? Why a security device forcefield in that spot? And the Doctor boards a bus and starts telling strangers that he travels in time and space in a roundabout way? Like I said, this was okay and certainly more upbeat than we’ve had lately but again…we get a “you’re song is ending” bit…we know that, move on already!  In any event, this was not the mess I thought it would be and it could have been so much worse. It was okay. I’d give it a 6/10 or even a 7/10.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 02:33 AM

Content:

Also looks like they adapting a recent annual story about water aliens. Once more mining other sources.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 03:47 AM
By: atomic99

Content:

I thought the special was average at best, particularly the story and aliens. I know RTD gets excited about it during the Press and Confidentials but it wasn't his best work.

That being said, I didn't find it terrible either. I always enjoy seeing Michelle Ryan and her character was a welcome change from the other female companions. Is she returning for more? I felt like there is more to be told with her. And it is always great to see Tennant. Always puts a smile on my face when he first appears after we've waited a few months for more DW.

I also find myself longing for the days when U.N.I.T. were the good guys and we had familiar faces like the Brigadier, Benton, and Yates. Perhaps this new Captain and the two guys from the bus will return?

Malcolm was just a little too much on the comedy side but I'd welcome his return as well. Basically, we've gotten Rose, Donna, and Martha's family as supporting cast since the show returned. It would be nice to break the mold and have the Doctor's new "family" of supporting characters be something different like U.N.I.T. and Christina. At least through the rest of the specials (although I have no clue what the upcoming plans are other than the rumors).

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 03:50 AM

Content:

Also, does anyone know how I can find out what the music is that plays in these confidentials? I always hear something I like and they never list it in the credits.

Particularly, about 11.5 minutes into the DW Confidential "Desert Storm" special there is an electro techno-type song that plays. I'm looking for the Artist and Song title. Thanks.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 04:25 AM
By: NDCDN

Content:

Well, I feel that a lot of these one off episodes fail because they have a lack of time to develop ideas and characters. The guys on the bus were under-developed and under-utilised. They served no purpose other than to have people on the bus. Even the Michelle Ryan and Lee Evans characters didn't have the time to develop. And when they said to call UNIT I was praying that either the Brigadier or Benton was going to appear.

Why did the doctor jump on the bus??? After Runaway Bride we know he is more than capable of driving the Tardis down the motorway. Surely if he was chasing a wormhole then the Tardis was going to be a lot more useful than the bus full of civilians.

The flymen were a bit too much like the dodgy aliens of the classic series. They looked terrible and again served no real purpose. The Doctor might as well have found the alien spaceship with all members of the crew dead. They looked terrible in the photo and terrible in the show.

The special effects were very second rate. Almost eveery special effect of the bus looked absolutely horrific. I think we are maybe too used to seeing relatively good special effects. These were certainly the worst I have seen since the new series started (even worse than the lazarous experiment monster).

I think RTD now thinks "what stupid thing can we get the sonic screwdriver to do this time", and this time he surpassed himself - the doctor turning his glasses into dark glasses!!!!! I almost had to hide behind the sofa due to the horror of it. And the fact is that this doctor seems to be pulling out the sonic screwdriver a bit too often. It seems like ever other scene must have a line that says "doctor pulls out the sonic screwdriver and points it at....."

Not great.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 07:10 AM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

I sometimes wonder what people want. I guess it's just horses for courses, as personally I loved it. 9/10.

I particularly enjoyed Lee Evans' character - he played him very well, and it was a direct shout-out to the brilliant Bryn of the equally brilliant Gavin & Stacey.

I wasn't sure about Michelle Ryan's posh accent at first, but it sort of grew on me.

My only problem with it was the CGI of the flying bus - it was pretty naff. Other than that I was quite delighted.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 10:30 AM

Content:

I have to disagree about UNIT. I think it's had its day and the less we see the better of UNIT and of TORCHWOOD for that matter too. Anyway, UNIT almost always means a threat to Earth and we have far too much of that in the new series anyway. What about aliens or historical characters? UNIT really only worked, if it ever did, when the series was on regularly and we could see Benton week after week or in more episodes. I felt UNIT in this story was not needed at all, anyone else could have had the portal on the other side,even the losers from TORCHWOOD. Or the new action packed science officer Rose.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 10:50 AM
By: Aurelius76

Content:

The episode was a romp, but was it fun? Don't know. Let's take a look ...

I liked the overall pace of the show, it looked great (the external shots of London, the desert and the overall CGI and HD); episode references--"Robot;" "Midnight" ('Why does everybody on buses blame me?'); "Delta and the Bannermen," of course the flying bus; the trailer at the end for WATERS OF MARS and ... well, nothing else.

Much could have been better. Didn't like Michelle Ryan--thought her character was too cocky and wasn't that sexy or interesting; Malcolm was goofy at best; didn't like the lack of the Tardis; don't think the Trinivores or whatever they're called are going to be "classic" anytime soon, since namely we can't understand them or the metal manta ray things that have no name that are an animalistic version of the Borg; the other characters on the bus were pointless at best, except for the psychic who was there to move the plot along and deliver and ominious warning at the end.

The whole episode had a "classic" feeling to it, that at times worked for it and against it--UNIT, creatures wearing overalls with big heads, references to past shows and oddly enough, very strange 70s and 80s background music at times that was oddly distracting.

Agree with most of what Chase is saying--tired of the "loss" speech at the end of every episode; we have indeed heard most of his speeches before; the specifics of the episodes--plot points--were flawed at best, with the doctor giving the most vaguest ever of explanations; i'd rather he yell "Reverse the neutron flow" than "time-whimey, spacey-whacey" stuff.

Lastly, the sonic screwdriver must go. It was cute for the 4th and 9th doctor, out of character for the 5th and annoying for the 10th; the 11th should place it under his heel and step... or meet another Terileptil, they like melting those things Laughing Out Loud .

Did I enjoy it? Yes. But once more, we've been here done that. A solid 6/10.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 10:56 AM
By: sgb1975

Content:

I thought it was crap. 2 or 3 stories left for the guy, and THIS is what they throw together?

I liked:
- Michelle Ryan: Very nice to look at, even if she was in dark clothing the whole time
- The psychic's foreshadowing at the end. Really gets the juices flowing about speculation for the countdown to the next Doctor.

I didn't like (oh where to start):
- The flying bus: Bad on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.
- The script: Next time, save some airfare $$$ by filming at a local beach, instead of Dubai. Take that extra money and give it to a script writer/editor.
- Dr. Malcolm: Not too bad, but a little over the top. Also I can't picture him in anything but There's Something About Mary. If Lee is a more well respected actor, then I apologize for my limited viewing of his material...this one is probably my fault more than anything.
- The Doctor freeing Christina at the end. It was kind of nice to see him put his foot down and let the police take her away. Yes, I know the irony as he's technically a thief himself, but still would've been good to stick to his guns and not save her...
- The bug aliens. Did RTD find those laying around a closet at the BBC studios? Maybe a creature from one of the canned classic Who stories?
- The Doctor speaking the language of the aliens. First it was foolish. I've heard this special was supposed to be more on the "funny" side but I thought it was dumb. 2 more points on the matter: 1. How could the Doctor understand them? They weren't remotely close to the TARDIS for it to translate. And 2. If the TARDIS always translates for him, and he could speak/click their native tongue, then how/why did he learn their language to begin with? If everybody on Earth spoke English, why would I bother to learn Spanish or German?
- Chase made a good point: Why the on/off switch for a SECURITY device? Might as well attach a hook to the outside door of my house so I can hang my key there when I lock it in case I go out. It looked like one of those "easy" buttons they sell at Staples, which seems very appropriate (folks outside the US probably won't get this reference). Major plot hole.
- The UNIT commander lady firing her sidearm at the fish creature. Her troops are firing automatic weapons, and anti-aircraft missles at the thing, and she's firing her handgun? Kind of like throwing rocks at a tank if you ask me. Didn't make sense.
- Preview for the next special wasn't that "special" either. Not really sad that we have to wait until November-ish to see it. Probably would've been better not to show anything, and just release another trailer for it in a few weeks.

I don't think I had my expectations set too high for this. I really don't. I had not been expecting much at all, after the track record of Xmas specials. Overall, the worst of any non-regular-series special. This would've been better served as a filler episode during a regular series. Maybe something to lower our expectations before a good 2 or 3 part finale. One notch above Love & Monsters at the bottom of the Who barrel of episodes. Sorry folks.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 11:50 AM

Content:

Perhaps this is the best indicator of how it did...

Britains Got Talent Beats Doctor Who

But I hope not!

EDIT: Fixed link.—Taras

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 01:43 PM
By: Ace

Content:

I enjoyed this episode sure this isn't a blink but i still found it very enjoyable.

I enjoyed the stingray like monsters not sure if they were given a name but they seemed good, I really enjoyed Michelle Ryan as the companion I enjoyed the way she seemed to be a match for the doctor,
i liked some of the nods in this episode to the classic series such as the robots of death and the Qattermass experiment

I didnt really like the fly people or what ever there called it just didn't seem to click with me also i found UNIT a bit average in this episode apart from malcom i would have hated them the woman in charge just didn't seem right

the episode looked quite good in HD

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 01:47 PM
By: merlin_mccarley

Content:

Thoughts later. But the "monsters" remind me of this and I think it would have made a better story.

Flying Rods

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 01:51 PM

Content:

sorry Mad 4 Plaid, but your link didn't work for me. What was it about? What do you mean "I hope not"? WHat happened?

My point in all my criticisms is if they keep turning out mediocre stuff and/or total crap (and the Master returning DOESN'T bode well at all!) then people, even children, will stop watching this.

And with everyone that's rumored to return--I have low low low expectations. Maybe they'll do a version of LUNGBARROW? Who knows? But a regeneration (PLEASE NOT STANDING UP!) with lots of former companions watching could be so dramatic, funny, and heart wrenching if done correctly and if the dialog is right.

For my guess I'm thinking the 10th Doctor will put himself between a beam that will destroy the entire universe (say that together) and the entire universe (or at least Earth which is probably all we'll see) and standing up, regenerate as Rose, then Martha, Jack, and Donna and Jackie and Mickey all kiss him.

About PLANET OF THE DEAD:enough with the kisses all the time from different people too, that's embarassing. It makes what kisses there are that mean something, not mean something. Or something. Smile

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 01:55 PM

Content:

Sory the link didn't work. Couldn't get it fixed either. Here is the summary of the article:

Doctor Who did not win its time slot on Saturday. Britain's Got Talent had 11.4 million viewers, while the Doctor received only 8.7 (at peak times). I don't think this takes into account DVRs however, so I would expect the numbers to go up.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 03:15 PM
By: T Baker(notTom)

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid] Perhaps this is the best indicator of how it did...

Britains Got Talent Beats Doctor Who

But I hope not![/QUOTE]

Your link had a double "http://" error.

I fixed it in the box above (that quotes you).

Now to my thoughts about the special...

Not too bad, but in the same breath - not too good, either. This one just doesn't do anything new.

Like the specials have been in the past they just do a show with a "light" story but no real depth to the characters and story. There are a few good points about it but just as many bad points. One of the best points in the story though was the foreshadowing through Carmen's warning (getting dark there).

It's just a middle of the road show and unless there is a change to give it more "oomph" people will lose intrest in "Doctor Who" and it will fade away - not to mention the long time between the specials is not helping either.

Perhaps, Steven Moffat can bring new life to the show when he works with Matt Smith. One can hope.

The stories leading up to the regeneration could bring back the veiwers that are starting to drift away from the show - if done right.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 06:53 PM

Content:

Someone mentioned somewhere that it was brave thing to do to take time off. I disgree. I think it was a stupid and lazy thin to do. Whatever the real reasons: David wanted to leave to do other things, the crew was spread out too thin doing THREE genre shows, whatever, it has hurt DW. The replacements should have been made a long time ago IMO. IMO this is akin yet diffrent t the break forced on the show by Grade in the 1980s. If the show is at its peak, youdon't then go off tahe ir and do othr things: you keep on going nd if your current crew are depleted creatviely you find thers to carry it on as DW has always done. When it was hurt was when people stayed too long that were not doing a good job (Saward, JNT, even DIcks).

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 07:20 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Chase] Someone mentioned somewhere that it was brave thing to do to take time off. I disgree. I think it was a stupid and lazy thin to do ...If the show is at its peak, youdon't then go off tahe ir and do othr things: you keep on going nd if your current crew are depleted creatviely you find thers to carry it on as DW has always done. When it was hurt was when people stayed too long that were not doing a good job (Saward, JNT, even DIcks).[/QUOTE]
But that is exactly why I believe it's a brave thing. Why race ahead into a new season with either a tired production team or a team who haven't had time to do everything that they want and get everything in place? I believe it's brave to take this risk - to say, ok in the short term we might lose some viewers but if we don't the we risk the whole programme in the long term by not guaranteeing excellent quality. For that reason, I don't believe it was 'stupid'.
As to your second point of 'lazy', I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
With regards to the replacements needing to have been made a long time ago, I believe that it is on record that the BBC were considering closing the whole show down without RTD. I believe that his dedication and passion (both of which you cannot deny) to the show have resulted in the massive ratings (whether or not you or I as hard-core fans like certain episodes) that have ensured a place in the General Public's heart once more. It is this which has resulted in its renewal.Anybody that doesn't believe that the BBC will close down a show with poor ratings should look at what it has just done to Not Going Out - a Friday night sitcom. I believe that not only should we thank RTD for bringing the show back, he has also ensured that it has a future.
I agree with you that a new producion team is a good and necessary thing now but don't believe that it would have been possible before now.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 10:16 PM
By: Zombie

Content:

I think it was an average story, with the the flying bus being an exception. That was just plain horrible.

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 11:18 PM
By: IRTDWT

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] On the whole I feel that this episode lived up to its billing: a fun romp.
Things I liked: the opening shots - wondering when the Doctor would appear; another alien planet - a great looking landscape; an iconic English symbol looking so out of place in the desert; an interesting alien - the sting ray swarms who create wormholes and then ravage the planets they visit like locusts; Michelle Ryan - phwoarr - about time we had an interesting companion with an agenda like Lady Cristina; Malcolm - Lee Evans played him to perfection; UNIT - always good to see them; referencing of the Giant Robot; the trailer for The Waters of Mars; the pace of the story overall - it didn't feel too long or short (makes me wish that the regular series had 1-hour episodes as my biggest criticisms usually concern the production team making sacrifices to the stories in order to wrap them up in 42 mins)
Things that could have been better for me: the fly creatures (can't remember their names) looked just like something from the classic series ie somebody wearing a prosthetic head; the other passengers - for me they were just loose wheels and had nothing really to contribute to the story; the UNIT captain (also forgotten her name - her willingness to sacrifice the Doctor and yet later salute him - or maybe I liked this bit, I'm not sure yet); yet another prediction - I've had eough predictions after the last series and maybe there could be another technique for hinting of what's to come
Yes, I enjoyed this and nothing worried me too much - a solid 7 out of 10.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you anymore! The Trytivors just seemed too arbitrary,
aside from the fact that they were the reason/excuse for the needed power source.
Too random and under-delivered considering it is 2009. The Unit Captain didn't
bother me too much. But why did the scientist Malcolm have to emphasize how
much he loved the Doctor??? What a fanboy. Maybe he has some of Cptn. Jack's
ambiguous love to throw around. 7/10 indeed!

Posted on: April 12 2009 @ 11:26 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid] Doctor Who did not win its time slot on Saturday. Britain's Got Talent had 11.4 million viewers, while the Doctor received only 8.7 (at peak times). I don't think this takes into account DVRs however, so I would expect the numbers to go up.[/QUOTE]But BGT has regularly beat DW in the past. Hardly worrying. DW's still in the top 10 shows of the week, and it positively trounced Primeval and Robin Hood. This is a much better result than, say, BGT's smackdown of "Silence in the Library". On that occasion, DW ended up as only the 27th most popular program of the week, which represented the lowest share and rank for the BBC Wales version.

To give a closer comparison, POTD more than holds its own against other episodes of New Who that have aired on the same Saturday in April in previous years. It will achieve substantially bigger numbers than "The Fires of Pompeii" and "New Earth", and, when the final figures come in, will more narrowly beat "The Unquiet Dead" and "Gridlock". Once timeshift has been factored in, It has a reasonable chance of equalling the highest rank of these "2d week in April" episodes, "Gridlock", which settled at 7th place. Interestingly, although "The Unquiet Dead" will end up with the closed ratings to POTD (it brought in about 8.9 million viewers), it was only the 15th most-watched show that week, meaning that POTD will have a notably higher share.

[Some might say that it's not fair to compare episodes from the same week of the year. If you instead believe that a better comparison is between the first episode of each season, because POTD is the first episode of DW since the Christmas special, POTD still does well. It'll come close to "Partners in Crime"'s 9.1 million, and almost certainly narrowly defeat "New Earth" and "Smith and Jones". "Rose", however, is likely comfortably ahead at 10.8 million, but then "Rose" didn't follow a Christmas special. Still Rose only got 7th place, which POTD has a chance of equalling.)

Add to all that the fact that DW is a scripted drama and BGT isn't — so DW can still claim a high prize in its own category of programming — and you can see that we should be positively ecstatic about DW's continuing good fortunes.

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 10:17 AM

Content:

Interesting thoughts. I didn't know the BBC were thinking of ending the show without RTD. I also think putting on three shows strain the production crew and that more effort going into DW would be better but I've heard the arguements about that and agree...sort of. I just think that it would be better to have quality stories than junky ones, too.

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 11:03 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Chase] Interesting thoughts. I didn't know the BBC were thinking of ending the show without RTD. I also think putting on three shows strain the production crew and that more effort going into DW would be better but I've heard the arguements about that and agree...sort of. I just think that it would be better to have quality stories than junky ones, too.[/QUOTE]
Hundred percent agree with you about quality and I totally agree that I'd rather have no Doctor Who than rubbish Doctor Who. But then that's why personally I feel it's a good idea to take a year out and scout for the best scripts possible. It is story, afterall, that has always made Doctor Who so good and it's ability to tell good stories despite budgetary restraints.

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 11:50 AM
By: tarashnat

Content:

[QUOTE BY= atomic99] Also, does anyone know how I can find out what the music is that plays in these confidentials? I always hear something I like and they never list it in the credits.

Particularly, about 11.5 minutes into the DW Confidential "Desert Storm" special there is an electro techno-type song that plays. I'm looking for the Artist and Song title. Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

They list the music in the Confidentials on the web site:

Desert Storm

Click on Information, then Music List.

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 12:54 PM
By: stjohnny

Content:

Has anyone seen the Japanese movie Vexille?
This story seemed and EXACT rip off from it. It's all i could think about all the way through.

Hated - Flying bus, premonition, UNIT's disregard for the Doctor and Michelle's accent
Loved - Lee Evans (Malcom indeed!), the next trailer

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 01:26 PM
By: barnabeee

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]

Doctor Who did not win its time slot on Saturday. Britain's Got Talent had 11.4 million viewers, while the Doctor received only 8.7 (at peak times). I don't think this takes into account DVRs however, so I would expect the numbers to go up.[/QUOTE]

You are misreading. Doctor Who did not win the night. But it was not up against Britain's Got Talent, it was head-to-head against Primeval and crushed it convincingly!

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 01:29 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom]
With regards to the replacements needing to have been made a long time ago, I believe that it is on record that the BBC were considering closing the whole show down without RTD.[/QUOTE]

If you believe that then you are crazy. Its one of the biggest money makers for the BBC there is - despite its cost. If you read "The Writer's Tale" it is clear that the BBC were begging RTD to do a full series this year, and he said no. And contractually they couldn't do anything about that. But there was NO WAY it was even close to getting cancelled.

(You may be confusing this with the JNT era, which you reference, when there was every likelhood it would have been cancelled earlier than it was if JNT had left)

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 01:43 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Chase] Okay, I don’t know what to make of that. It certainly wasn’t as bad as NEXT DOCTOR and had pace, action, and some good character stuff. Perhaps I’m just tired of this Doctor and he needs to move on as much as RTD. There’s something missing, inherently. Much of the dialog from the Doctor is patronizing, familiar, far beyond egotistical, and dull at this stage. His dialog offers nothing new. [/QUOTE]

We really are watching a different show aren't we? Are you sure you weren't one of the few people watching Primeval? (After all, they did - laughably - use the "Reverse the polarity..." line on Saturday night. Guess what show they *wish* they were!!!!)

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 01:44 PM

Content:

So, what did I think? (Now I've gotten those ripostes off my chest)

This was a fun romp. And very well done (a few bus CGI bits aside, but considering the time they had to do it, I can forgive them that). The character interaction worked just fine, the plot was quite clever. (How someone can make the comment that "The Swarm" were like the borg is beyond me - don't the borg assimilate and build? These things just seem to eat. Not especially similar).

The sandy vista of Dubai looked fantastic. You could never have done that on a Welsh beach - especially not in January when they filmed this.

The use of UNIT was different an interesting - and I hope that at some point they revisit the Major's decision - which would have been wrong as it turned out. And it really makes the point that they are not the organization that the Doctor is used to. You couldn't do that with Torchwood. He doesn't trust them. But he does trust UNIT. But they (apparently) don't completely go the same way. That's interesting.

Once again you see the Doctor's brain working in this as he runs through possibilities - for the nature of the swarm and the threat and how to get everyone home. His brain works so fast as he uses his experience and knowledge to do the best he can.

Lady Christina was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed Malcolm too. Some lovely character work once again, and the dialog was fun pretty much all the way through. Sure, we got the by-now-obligatory kiss (will Lynsey Duncan be next) but no one can say that the Doctor instigated it. And letting her go at the end felt completely right to me.

And while you can all nit-pick, and I could too if I chose to, this was a very enjoyable hour of TV. The best story ever? No. And I don't think it was ever intended to be. But there were some fun moments and some exciting moments - and watching this last night with a bunch of 40 Doctor Who fans at Professor Thom's in NYC was a fantastic experience. One that anyone who has never watched a new episode of Doctor Who communcally should try. Its an eye-opener. As a group we laughed and gasped and oooh-ed and aaahh-ed at all the placed I would have though Russell and the production team intended us to. And isn't that what this show is supposed to do and this special in particular said it was going to do on the tin?

The answer from where I stand, from my viewing and from observing so many other Doctor Who fans viewing, is a resounding YES!!!!!!!!

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 01:45 PM
By: Ken

Content:

Julie Gardner last week on "The Story of Doctor Who" called the show the BBC's flagship show. There is fresh blood coming in 2010. Why all the hysteria?

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 02:42 PM
By: shockeye07

Content:

I thoroughly enjoyed it. OK it wasn't a classic story but it was a good fun exciting story.
I have never seen Michelle Ryan before (Don't watch Eastenders & never saw The Bionic Woman) but I was very impressed with her. On the other hand I am very aware off Lee Evans. I cant stand his "comedy" so I was amazed how good he was.
8/10 for me.

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 03:07 PM
By: IRTDWT

Content:

[QUOTE BY= stjohnny] Has anyone seen the Japanese movie Vexille?
This story seemed and EXACT rip off from it. It's all i could think about all the way through.

Hated - Flying bus, premonition, UNIT's disregard for the Doctor and Michelle's accent
Loved - Lee Evans (Malcom indeed!), the next trailer[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen Vexille but it is now on my Netflix queue. The trailer looks good and some parts did seem like Planet of the Dead.

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 03:58 PM
By: rocko

Content:

Did no one recognize the UNIT Capt. Magambo from "Turn Left"? I especially liked her line, "Finally- guns that work!" Was a nice callback to Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.

I also reminded myself that the power source needed for the bus in "Delta and the Bannermen" was also a crystal. That made the Doctor's throwing it aside more amusing for me in POTD.

Anyway- I really enjoyed this much better than "The Next Doctor".

I also loved the bit where the Doctor used the Sonic Screwdriver to make sunglasses. At least the resolution didn't involve using it to start the bus or close the wormhole!

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 04:50 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= barnabeee] If you believe that then you are crazy. [/QUOTE]
No, not crazy. Read it somewhere a while back. Might be true. Might not be. The BBC have finished massively popular shows before at the height of their success: This Life in the nineties being one that springs to mind. They also suspended their most popular radio and TV presenter for six months without a thought to ratings. It may not be something that you believe. It's definitely not something I can prove but whatever happened to mature discussion of points without becoming insulting?

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 06:24 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= barnabeee] The use of UNIT was different an interesting - and I hope that at some point they revisit the Major's decision - which would have been wrong as it turned out. And it really makes the point that they are not the organization that the Doctor is used to. You couldn't do that with Torchwood. He doesn't trust them. But he does trust UNIT. But they (apparently) don't completely go the same way. That's interesting.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that UNIT didn't trust the Doctor. It was more of a one life against an entire planet decision. The Captain wanted to save the Doctor but couldn't risk the planet (as far as she knew, he wasn't going to get back in time). This seems like a logical, strategic position for a military organization whose mission is to protect the planet to take.

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 06:26 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= rocko] Did no one recognize the UNIT Capt. [/QUOTE]

I thought she looked familiar but wasn't sure if it was from Doctor Who or something else I've seen in the last few years.

I like the continuity that she would actualy exist.

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 07:05 PM
By: General_Chris

Content:

I have to say that I really enjoyed this.

I loved that they brought back UNIT Capt. Magambo. Maybe she'll start being a familiar UNIT face. And maybe Nathan and Barkley from the bus as well.

It was a lot of the smaller details that made this enjoyable for me.
-Been a fan of Michelle Ryan for a while.
-"Humans on buses always blaming me."
-The 'where were you going?' We've seen this other places but it definitely added needed emotion for those characters who didnt have a big role.
-Doctor's 1st call with the Cpt. and Malcom.
-"You look human." "You look TimeLord."
-I like that there is something about huge pits that makes the Doctor just spill his guts about things. (*Satan's Pit and this special)
-He'll knock four times... = The Master??! (*Sound of Drums)

Things that made me go 'what??'
-No security grid above the cup in the museum.
-Christina taking her mask off IN the museum, lol.
-Fly creatures could have been a lil better. Not sure how tho.
-Flying bus was a stretch.

These were just a few quick things.

Posted on: April 14 2009 @ 12:34 AM
By: james_death

Content:

A Enjoyable pop corn romp at the time.
Not very memmorable.
Great alien vilain.
Felt it was very Pitch Black right from the trailer and still do.
Chris Evan's great as Malcolm.
As for the comment at the end about the Doctor Looking after Himself i felt the Master could be coming back.
Waters of Mars i got the impression the natives are water based and replace the humans water in there Bodys with themselves so as to animate themselves in the Humans environment.
Just My Thoughts.
All the best,
James.

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 08:38 PM

Content:

I might be one among many but I thought the fly faces were well done...they just didn't really look right on the bodies they had

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 09:01 PM

Content:

Barnabee, we aren't watching a different show but you're just seeing it through DW rose colored glasses. EVERY story should be intended to be the best story by the production crew. And the problem is: they feel the same way you do: that mediocre and derivative is okay as long as the ratings stay the same and beat all other shows. Ratings do not mean quality, if so crap like LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY would be called a quality show, a fine arts masterpiece. It's not. Nor is current DW.

The desert, the monsters were all derivative. Lady Christina: same, ditto, seen her in a thousand other things. The wormhole: done better before and probably will be after, too. The flying bus: embarrassing; the Doctor's personality: boring already. His boyish enthusiaum is no longer charming but grating. I KNEW the fly monsters were going to get eaten. Predictable. Wanting some show to be good and it actually being good are two different things. Looking for good things amid the story that isn't the best story ever makes one want it to be good but sadly it's not very. Malcolm and UNIT: Dull and silly. Not funny. Unlike JOURNEY'S END at least not every line of dialog contradicted other lines of dialog not to mention other DW stories and at least this story didn't rely on the sagging mythology of the all consuming Time War. Still, was this a story you want to watch over again and show others as an example of DW? My answer is NO.

For great I'd say: just about the entire first season, DOOMSDAY, BLINK, HUMAN NATURE/FAMILY OF BLOOD, EMPTY CHILD, etc etc, I've made the list far too many times.

Thing is: we all know after we've seen a story or a show or movie how we feel and we all feel slightly or majorly different. But I also know when I feel cheated by a show or movie and I felt very cheated by JOURNEY'S END and NEXT DOCTOR and maybe just a slight bit cheated by PLANET OF THE DEAD.

Something just is not right. It doesn't have that grandness that say, PARTING OF THE WAYS (or the Pompei story or the Agatha Christie story or MIDNIGHT) had. It says nothing new, gives us nothing new, and adds nothing to the character or gives us as viewers some emotional depth or even good action. And it wasn't fun for me as it was for you. Fun is not knowing what was going to happen, seeing Donna quip about the giant wasp or facing the Doctor down to save someone in an emtional sequence, watching the 9th Doctor sacrifice his life for Rose just after she sacrificed her life for him...the Doctor saving everyone in EMPTY CHILD'S climax, the action that ended Doomsday and the emotional scene at the end...Jackie asking the Doctor if her daughter is safe...the balloon ride Rose took...Martha running from the aliens in HUMAN NATURE, protecting the Doctor, these things among others are what makes DW great. I see none of that in PLANET OF DEAD. Just a plain, dull sci fi story with nothing new.

I like action packed stuff but I like my action to have meaning and to make sense (for that read the Alex Rider books--great action but it all makes sense within the story). In PLANET OF DEAD, the action makes little to no sense, when there is action. And there's not much.

So yeah I liked it but I didn't really really love it like I did other of the New Series stuff. Nor did I hate it like I hate the Master two parter at the end of the season, NEXT DOCTOR, JOURNEY'S END, and the two part Empire State travesty. This one falls somewhere in the middle as mildly entertaining and overly forgettable. It doesn't even have a Tom Baker to keep us surprised and interested in what the Doctor is going to do next. Tennant is good but he's old hat right now and offers nothing new. He's no Tom Baker, who could enliven almost ANY story (although I can think of two he couldn't).

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 09:11 PM
By: Mr. Magister

Content:

On the whole, I was disappointed in the episode - but I'll give three positives and limit myself to three negatives.

BAD
1) The sing-songy inspirational music at the end went ON and ON. Ok, we get it, they're having a laugh - but I couldn't buy into the joy because they hadn't developed the characters well enough.
2) The Fly-guys in the jump suits and their ship - Tacked on, unnecessary and kind of annoying.
3) The Doctor's speech about how important were the plans of the bus passengers - no matter how mundane, they were special....I've heard that several times before.

GOOD
1) Black Hole in London and they bus driver running through and getting skeletonized. Cool stuff and a good start.
2) Manta-Ray monsters - slightly underutilized, but a welcome introduction to the series.
3) Michelle Ryan in the desert w/ a black cat-suit and shades...wow!

All in all, I'd still only give it about 4 out of 10. It's no Creature from the Pit...but not Talons either.

Interesting plot but inevitably forgettable.

Posted on: April 13 2009 @ 09:33 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
They list the music in the Confidentials on the web site:

Desert Storm

Click on Information, then Music List.[/QUOTE]

You are BRILLIANT!!
Thanks a million. I tracked down the song and purchased it within 5 minutes with your help. I was going to say the song reminds me of Röyksopp meets Little Boots but the song is indeed a Röyksopp song!!

Posted on: April 14 2009 @ 08:13 AM
By: Dalzo

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Chase] It was okay. I’d give it a 6/10 or even a 7/10. [/QUOTE]

Okay, so you quite like it, gave it a 6/10 or 7/10 but have spent about three posts criticising it and once again going on about the mediocrity of the show (I am getting the slight impression you are wanting RTD to move on Big Grin). How 'bout giving us a post (just one, doesn't have to be three) giving us the positives of the episodes without any negativity. Justify your 6/10 score you give it 'cos just from reading your posts I would imagine you scoring it 2/10. Go on, just for once give us a decent paragraph with the positives... Think of it as a challenge if you will...

Posted on: April 14 2009 @ 10:32 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom] [QUOTE BY= barnabeee] If you believe that then you are crazy. [/QUOTE]
No, not crazy. Read it somewhere a while back. Might be true. Might not be. The BBC have finished massively popular shows before at the height of their success: This Life in the nineties being one that springs to mind. They also suspended their most popular radio and TV presenter for six months without a thought to ratings. It may not be something that you believe. It's definitely not something I can prove but whatever happened to mature discussion of points without becoming insulting?[/QUOTE]

Wasn't insulting. Merely using hyperbole so say how unrealistic I find the concept. A cash strapped organization cancelling something that makes them a LOT of money. (Not to mention people I know, who would know the truth and whose information I trust completely telling me that there was no way that "New" Doctor Who has every been remotely threatened with being cancelled, and is in no danger of cancellation in the forseeable future either)

The situations you cite - especially regarding the presenters is a TOTALLY different situation. That was 1000% a PR-related move and one the BBC had very little choice but to make.

The BBC has become a very trouble organization, but they are also more PR savvy and different from the 1989 organization that cancelled Doctor Who. They know to cancel it now would be a very very dumb move.

Posted on: April 14 2009 @ 11:06 AM

Content:

@Chase - No, I don't have rose-coloured glasses. I really enjoyed Planet of the Dead and Tennant's performance - if you are bored by him, I don;t feel you are paying enough attention. Watch his reaction during the "four knocks" speech section, and his eyes as he releases Lady Christina, and watch his brain working when they are talking to the insect-creatures and working out what's going on. There is some very intelligent acting going on there. Its very subtle - unlike Tom Baker most of the time. But for me its very interesting and very watchable. Was Planet of the Dead all-time classic Who? Or the best ever? No, of course not. But it was a fun romp and a very enjoyable hour of television. And exactly what was needed for the Easter Special, when there won't be anything new for another 6 months!

I think you are holding the show up to too high a standard. This really is quality TV. Compare it to Primeval (which you have stated to be "a better show" so by extension you think it *is* quality), the dialog of which is drivel (and soooo wants to be Doctor Who - closing the anomalies by "reversing the polarity" - hmmmmm), it only has one plot and is totally by the numbers. Talk about predictable - I know every week the creature will end up back in the anomaly which will then close. Hmmmmm....Very surprising. (Its no conicidence, I think that the 2 best episodes were written by Paul Cornell and James Moran, who got to work on Doctor Who and probably learned some TV writing tips from Russell in the process).

But back to Who. It doesn't always have to be new and different. Was Season 13 (one of the best seasons in the history of Doctor Who, I think!) completely new and different? Let's take a look:

TERROR OF THE ZYGONS - Ok, so the alien is new and different. But basically its a UNIT story. And its on Earth
PLANET OF EVIL - Doctor Who does Jekyll and Hyde?
PYRAMIDS OF MARS - Isn't this rather like "The Mummy"? And its another story set in the past with an alien. Hmmm..we saw this in THE TIME WARRIOR just a couple of seasons ago. By Robert Holmes too. He's obviously tired of the show, doing the same tricks again and needs some new ideas.
THE ANDROID INVASION - Earth's under threat. Again. And UNIT. Boring. And you bring back Harry Sullivan. What happened to new characters? Bring on some new ideas.
THE BRAIN OF MORBIUS - More gothic horror? Didn't we just have a story like this? They've done Jekyll and Hyde this year, and the Mummy, and now Frankenstein? What happened to new ideas?
THE SEEDS OF DOOM - Boring. Giant plants again - a sci-fi constant. And back on Earth. Again?

Did that sound familiar? To me it sounds a lot like you. Wink

And I have no clue what the "Alex Rider" books are. They look rather like teenage adventure stories from my brief googling of the name. I can't imagine the writing is better than Russell's and the plots more internally consistent. PLANET OF THE DEAD was consistent. It worked. And not only that, it put in some real science (The Faraday Cage)! Sydney Newman would have been so proud! I'm sorry you can't see that - and all you want to do is for us to be impressed that you knew the insect people were going to get eaten!

(Quick disclaimer: For the record, while those claims can be made about Season 13, I am making them in jest. Robert Holmes is fantastic as is almost all of Season 13!!!!)

Posted on: April 14 2009 @ 11:13 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= barnabeee]
Wasn't insulting. Merely using hyperbole so say how unrealistic I find the concept. A cash strapped organization cancelling something that makes them a LOT of money. (Not to mention people I know, who would know the truth and whose information I trust completely telling me that there was no way that "New" Doctor Who has every been remotely threatened with being cancelled, and is in no danger of cancellation in the forseeable future either)

The situations you cite - especially regarding the presenters is a TOTALLY different situation. That was 1000% a PR-related move and one the BBC had very little choice but to make.

The BBC has become a very trouble organization, but they are also more PR savvy and different from the 1989 organization that cancelled Doctor Who. They know to cancel it now would be a very very dumb move.[/QUOTE]
Hyperbole can be as pejorative as any type of language.
There was a lot of speculation about whether or not DW would finish after RTD left. I'm not sure we'll ever know the truth but I don't find it as imposssible a concept to believe as you do. I do agree that it would be a very dumb move but there are dumb people in every walk of life. I'm glad, of course, that we are continuing with Mr. Moffat and my original point, I think, way back was that it is the work that the current production team have done which has ensured the continuation of the series.

Posted on: April 14 2009 @ 12:06 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Idiom]
Hyperbole can be as pejorative as any type of language.
[/QUOTE]

Fair enough! We shall agree to disagree. (I stil don't believe it for a moment - I suspect it was just Ian Levine's fear of an 80's redux! But 'nuff said!)

And don't think for an instance that I don't give the current production team full credit though. Am as a pro-RTD as they come, and his approach works for me! Brilliantly! He's made Doctor Who popular and relevant. And fantastic!

I'm looking forward to Moffat's approach too (which I don't expect to be *that* different). But time will tell and we can discuss this time next year after experiencing it. Gosh that seems too far away. Good thing there's 3 hours of Tennant left to enjoy first! Smile

Posted on: April 14 2009 @ 12:08 PM

Content:

I don't find anything subtle about Tennant at all so we just have to disagree. Chris Ecc yeah, subtle some of the time. Yes, most of the season 13 stories ARE derivative and somehow they managed to get something original and different from them: Sutek is just a great villian and presense: Can you say the same for the Fly Monsters or the flying things in PLANET OF THE DEAD.

Yeah I look at DW crtically. Yes, PRIMEVAL was better but I should have clarified, IN SEASON ONE. I'm not a big fan of season two for the most part. Season 1 of PRIMEVAL beats out a lot of DW (just fil in all the stories I mentioned that totally suck: DALEKS IN MANHATTAN, JOURNEY'S END, NEXT DOCTOR). Like classic WHO, PRIMEVAL in season one, took old sci fi concepts and did somthing clever and modern with them with a lot of action that made sense.

Did anyone think the bus ride was action or the Doctor and Christina running from...a swarm that was miles off was action?

As for Alex Rider: they're written for a different audience, MAYBE. They are internally consistent (I woudn't expect a character to, well such as Capt Jack become the Face of Boe or anything so stupid), logical, and action oriented. We wouldn't see a big red button above a security thing. The writr of Alex Rider books has written, maybe all of FOYLE'S WAR and other TV things. So he has good track record, not that Im comparing everything he does to everything RTD does, I like them both, both have their greats and both have their failures.

That said, PLANE OF THE DEAD...it's bad story telling. CHristina makes a dive and we don't know what the danger to her is. THe Doctor just screams, "Christina!" and runs. So we're supposed to just understand that the all powerful Doctgor knows it's a bad thing for her to make a dive. Alfred Hitchcock always said that you need to have some sense of urgency shown visually. Here we just see the idiot Doctor running and we're supposed to know he's always right...David's running on past record here in acting too --did anyone believe him when he asked the Fly THings to come with him? Anyway, bad story telling: we don't see the security thing until after the danger is supposed to excite us. Then there's the logic of it: a secuity device there with a big red button to stop it there? Never happen in an Alex Rider book.

Anyway I do look at DW critically and perhaps too much so. I love the idea of a time traveler and the Doctor and the TARDIS. How often the show actually lives up to its own premse is anther thing--the new show almost always did and bar the items I've mentioned far too many times in the past, it had. There's far too many so so stories lately.

I do hold it up to a higher realm of crictism than other shows.

POD: I didn't quite like it, I liked it AND that was me trying to be positive. It wasn't sucky but then as I've said my expectations were low low low so...they were met.

I DID mention the postives but...but, something is still missing. Originality, depth, good action, acting, a sense of urgency, a reason for the story being told to be told....

Posted on: April 14 2009 @ 12:44 PM

Content:

Gonna side with Darko here! Everything you have said would lead me to think that you would score PLANET OF THE DEAD at 2/10. I'd like to hear more of the positives. (Oh, and comparing Sutekh with the fly people or the swarm, is like comparing him to the Krynoids. They are not the same thing and its a completely invalid comparison, which just weakens your argument. The Krynoids and the Swarm are comparable, and do much to same thing. Sutekh does not.)

PRIMEVAL series 1 was just as dreadful as everything since, and is in no way better than any Doctor Who, IMO. I can't comment on the Alex Rider books - but surely you realize that the "Big Red Button" is a device to enable the story to take 60 minutes, rather than the extra time a book can take. And of course its gag dating back to THE CHRISTMAS INVASION. The audience of 40-odd Doctor Who fans I had the pleasure of watching this Special with all laughed at that moment - so I think it worked! Smile

It takes a lot of work to make Doctor Who as popular as it is today. Don't underestimate that. RTD knows the audience and the audience is enjoying it. As Igor Stravinsky said - "I am sorry but I claim that in the aria LA DONNA E MOBILE, for instance, there is more substance and more true invention than in the rhetoric verbosity of {Wagner's RING}." I will let you fill in the gaps - but LA DONNA E MOBILE could eaily be replaced with THE STOLEN EARTH/JOURNEY'S END and the RING with SILENCE IN THE LIBRARY/FOREST OF THE DEAD Smile
Neither are bad (in my opinion, or in the opionion of 8-10 million or so people who keep watching!), but they are different and each take a particular type of skill.

Posted on: April 14 2009 @ 07:48 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Chase] Okay, I don’t know what to make of that. It certainly wasn’t as bad as NEXT DOCTOR and had pace, action, and some good character stuff. [/QUOTE]

That's it, that is the only thing I could find that you have said about the episode that is positive and then you spend your next three posts tearing it apart and yet again repeating yourself about how you want RTD to go etc etc. Those two lines, in my opinion do not show a balanced review and do not seem to justify your 6/10 or 7/10 scoreline (which makes the episode, in your opinion, BETTER THAN AVERAGE!!!). That is where you do begin to lose some credibility with your reviews. They are not balanced at all. You seem to take delight (or rather, you seem to delight in your own outrage) in picking out the negatives and not counterpointing it with the positives. So once again, I challenge you to write a paragraph justifying the score you gave it. 1 paragraph of positives... Go on, you might find it liberating!!! Razz

One final word (and this is NOT to be taken as a personal insult, just an observation). I said before that your posts were never boring. I am beginning to change my mind on this point. You do have a tendancy of repeating yourself. We understand that you are looking forward to RTD leaving and we know that you enjoyed "Girl In The Fireplace", "Doomsday", "Fires Of Pompeii" but dislike "The Sound of Drums", "The Last Of The Timelords" and most of season 4 etc. We really don't need to read it all again. Of course you can repeat yourself ad nauseum if you want, it's totally up to you. Think of this as constructive criticism!

Posted on: April 14 2009 @ 08:35 PM

Content:

I thought I would also take this opportunity to tell you my views of Planet Of The Dead after having viewed it only once. It normally takes a few viewings for me to decide what I think of an episode but I will give my first impressions.

I was not particularly looking forward to this episode. I don't know why, maybe it is because I have not tended to enjoy the Specials as much as I do a full series. The week before it aired I had rewatched "The Next Doctor" and had not enjoyed that as much as I had at Christmas (when I had thought it was the best special to date but still nowhere close to the best episodes in a full season).
Also, the trailer just didn't get my heart pumping... It looked okay but that was all.
Maybe it is because of this that I enjoyed the episode far more than I expected. I enjoyed Michelle Ryan's performance despite the fact that she was basically playing a Lara Croft rip off (which is not necessarily a bad thing). It zipped along at a cracking pace and David Tennant was his usual brilliant self. That said, there are signs that his character is starting to become repetitive. As mentioned elsewhere, variations of his whole "Where were you going" speech has been performed by Tennant quite a few times and whereas before it brought a smile to my face and a slight tingle down the spine, this time the words "seen this before" did enter my head. I didn't have a problem with it but it was a reminder of why neither Actor playing The Doctor or the Showrunner should stay much longer than 3 or 4 years.
I was also pleasantly surprised by Lee Evans. I am not a big fan of his comedy but I enjoyed his performance here and his interaction with Tennant was filled with joy and a joy to behold!
I wasn't too impressed with the "flies" (the name of their race eludes me at the moment but ask me in a years time and it will be in my little brain). They served their purpose but I am just a little bit fed up with the whole "Animals made large" idea for creating a new alien. I did like the way that we couldn't understand them due to the fact of the TARDIS not being there to translate.

I enjoy continuity and I loved the hints of what is to come. It seemed to me that UNIT knows how The Doctor is going to regenerate. The woman from "Turn Left" (ask me in a year Oops! ) talks about how when UNIT next meets The Doctor "you know what that'll mean" or words to that effect. I also like the "Your Song is coming to an end" and "He will knock four times" hints. It adds a little depth to these specials and subtly adds picture to the larger canvas.
The effects were up to par (barring acouple of flying bus shots), the swarm were okay... Made a nice change from an Alien race trying to take over the World just for conquest but they did remind me of The Nasta Verada a bit... only these are very visible and definately come out in the light.

Overall, this was an enjoyable episode and was the romp that RTD promised, nothing more and nothing less. We have been promised that things are going to get darker in Tennants last episodes and I look forward to that. A bit more substance would also be nice as that does seem to be what is lacking from the specials. That said, it seems like the last three episodes are going to be airing close to each other and so will hopefully act like a mini-season.
I look forward to the return of "The Master", assuming he does return, as I like the episodes he featured in a lot (although I was not that keen on how his character had changed to be an Anti-Doctor, but I have gotten used to that on multiple viewings). I hope that the rumours of Rose returning are not true but am keen on seeing Donna and Wilf return.
I just hope the next seven months roll very quickly!

Posted on: April 14 2009 @ 08:39 PM
By: romana_II

Content:

If you don't like it anymore, don't watch it.

I on the other hand loved it a lot, it hit all the right red buttons for me and I had fun while I was watching it and isn't that the main thing, it did what this story was designed to, it was fun... I give this a 4 out of 5

I never see the need to pick a story to pieces, if I enjoyed it... was is the point.

Anyway, at least reading this thread has given me lots of ideas of stuff to talk about when I record my commentary for my podcast in a few days ^_^

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 12:59 AM
By: T Baker(notTom)

Content:

I highly reccommend listening to the commentary for the episode. It brings to light a few thing I didn't notice at first.

You can get it through iTunes as a podcast (at least in the US version). Hope it's available to the country you're in. On the US version it's listed as "Doctor Who: The Comentaries" if you can't find it that way try searching "BBC 7"

PS:
I just realized something about Carmen's prophecy - she spoke of the Doctor's song and now I'm thinking of the 4th series episode "The Planet of The Ood" and they talked of the Doctor's song there. Could it be a another reference to earlier story. There were several obvious ones, maybe this one was more subtle.

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 08:23 AM
By: daveac

Content:

Started well - looked great - didn't like the main part with too many solutions provided by the companions bag or with their talents.

He's a good roundup of the episode:-

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 08:42 AM
By: texastimelord

Content:

Did anyone notice the lack of TARDIS interior scenes? I wonder if we will see any in The Water of Mars special this November. Makes me think the production team has already dismantled the current one. I do remember reading that Tennant's console would not hold up to HD scrutiny.

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 09:28 AM
By: romana_II

Content:

I have a feeling we won't see any interior Tardis for the reminder of Tennant's time... which makes me slighty sad Frown
but thrilled at the same time that David Morrissey's Jackson Lake was the last person other than the Doctor to be filmed and seen in that set. ^^

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 09:33 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= romana_II]
I never see the need to pick a story to pieces, if I enjoyed it... was is the point.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Smile

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 09:35 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= texastimelord] Did anyone notice the lack of TARDIS interior scenes? I wonder if we will see any in The Water of Mars special this November. Makes me think the production team has already dismantled the current one. I do remember reading that Tennant's console would not hold up to HD scrutiny. [/QUOTE]

It could also be that they need time to "touch it up" a little. Remember this episode was put together on an incredibly tight schedule - less than 3 months from the start of shooting to broadcast!

I don't think there's any way Russell doesn't have a "Wilf enters the console room" scene! We all now how much he loves that scene! Smile

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 04:22 PM

Content:

the Sock Puppet video is very funny, thanks for posting it

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 04:37 PM

Content:

Yeah. Now that I've thought about it and on reflection thanks to your posts---I would have to see it in a new light and give it a 3/10 or a 4/10. Positives? It was well filmed, well lit, and...and...it wasn't more than one part really. More positives: It wasn't as bad as some of the more recent stuff. I wasn't terribly bored by it.

Also the Krynoid and the Swarm together as the same type of thing? Not really. Krynoids take over humans and incorporate them into them, horrifyingly and the Swarm just merely eats people and are done with them.

Truly I can't do it without the negatives: the acting was not good from anyone involved I'm afraid. It felt as if they were just following along with the numbers or playing the lines by rote. The Brig or whatever she was was boring and had no personality. The stupid Lee Evans character was not funny or real or anything really. He added nothing to the story. The Big Red Button wasn't funny and I dn't care if harked back to the Christmas Invasion,...at least in that great story it made some sense. David and Christina (the character) had NO chemistry or rapport. It was forced. In fact, everyone just kind of speaks to each other. The story was predictable but at least it wasn't morbid and awful. The action could have been better and more urgent.

The other thing: The whole "Your song is up" bit. We've heard it before. Oooohhhh. Who cares. It's just another gimmick. We know, we all know he's going to regenerate...so big deal. Glad that this know all Doctor will get his soon. That said, it is also irritating how this Doctor has to have others prove themselves to him as if they are worthless compared to him and those he deems fit. It's as if he's judging everyone and thy have to meet hsi standards. I also had tis problem with the dumping Adam episode. "I only take the best". Indeed.

In past days, the Fourth Doctor offered rides to almost anyone. The Fifth had a whole menagerie in his Tardis in some stories. And if Peri, Mel, and Turlough are the best...blimey!

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 04:43 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Chase]
Also the Krynoid and the Swarm together as the same type of thing? Not really. Krynoids take over humans and incorporate them into them, horrifyingly and the Swarm just merely eats people and are done with them.
[/QUOTE]

Oh good grief, Chase. Are you being obtuse? "Same type of thing" doesn't mean THE SAME. It means that they are similar. They both follow their nature, rather than being a "Villain" per se with a plot, per se. Surely you see the difference between the Krynoids and Sutekh? And if so, why compare The Swarm to Sutekh?

Honestly!

Oh, and glad you've just come clean. You obviously don't have much sense of fun and take all this far too seriously. Can you go and find a Primeval board and bother them?

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 04:48 PM

Content:

The Krynoid knows what it is doing and is intelligent. I don't thnk the Swarm is/was.

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 04:50 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Chase] The Krynoid knows what it is doing and is intelligent. I don't thnk the Swarm is/was. [/QUOTE]

No any more than the Swarm it doesn't. Harrison Chase does, but the Krynoid is just a monster, looking for something to eat to get big enough to reproduce. Have you actually watched SEEDS OF DOOM lately? The Doctor explains the Krynoid life cycle very clearly.

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 04:55 PM

Content:

Yes, at one point it says, "Give us the Doctor and you will be spared." Intelligence. The Doctor says it is no longer Keeler but the Krynoid. Sarah says, "IT speaks." It also organizes a mass attack of regular plants and senses the Doctor's knowledge of the Krynoid.

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 04:57 PM

Content:

Fair enough. But its hardly Sutekh-level intelligence is it? Wink

Posted on: April 15 2009 @ 09:59 PM
By: silvanthalas

Content:

All in all, I enjoyed this one enough. Nothing spectacular about it, the usual plot holes you can drive a bus through (pun intended), etc.

I guess I didn't have any major problems with it, beyond the fact that it didn't really feel like it was worth the wait. It just felt like a standard episode.

Posted on: April 16 2009 @ 09:53 AM
By: General_Chris

Content:

[QUOTE BY= silvanthalas] I guess I didn't have any major problems with it, beyond the fact that it didn't really feel like it was worth the wait. It just felt like a standard episode.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I liked it. But given that there are only 4 specials this year I expected something big from them. But I am getting the feeling that the first two will be 'regular-esque' and the last two will be the big guns.

Posted on: April 16 2009 @ 04:15 PM
By: Louis

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac]
Started well - looked great - didn't like the main part with too many solutions provided by the companions bag or with their talents.

He's a good roundup of the episode:-

Cheers, daveac
[/QUOTE]

I was just about to post the same YouTube video. Great stuff.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: April 16 2009 @ 06:43 PM
By: new_master

Content:

Not too bad but not great. Decent entertainment though (unlike the BGT freak show on ITV) but still had a standard Series 4 episode feel to it rather than a Special. The word "romp" has seem to have been accepted to described the episode. About right but the Carry On films were a romp as well and it definitely would have been special if they'd gone for the romp factor with gusto Wink Lee Evans as the new Kenneth Williams? unfortunately not but he was surprisingly likeable in it though. Anyway, the Confidential was pretty good (lots of moaning about sand and wind) but definitely looking forward to the next one (even if it might lack the Ice Warriors). By the way, I've never got round to posting this but in the Confidentials for all the series, don't you think the choreographer lady is amusing in the way she ends up making all the "monsters" walk in the same way. The fly people walked in the exact same style as the Pig Slaves, the Hath, etc. Very funny. Having said that, how many ways are there to walk menacingly or slowly or both?

Posted on: April 21 2009 @ 06:31 PM
By: rild99

Content:

Is is just me, or did Lady Christina look as if she were Gwen Cooper's little sister? Overall, a fun ride. Christina was a bit of an uber-girl scout though. And really, after all the movies, no alarm on the top of the display? Oh well. Now the long wait for the next episode.

Bruce in Billerica MA.

Posted on: June 02 2009 @ 05:50 AM
By: Milamber

Content:

Good, fun episode. Liked some of the references such the Giant Robot and the Doc going on about his teeth (regeneration hints).

I read a rumor somewhere that Professor Malcolm Taylor is the Meddling Monk in disguise. As much as I like his character that would be a cool twist.

Posted on: June 02 2009 @ 09:51 PM

Content:

Yeah you guys are right. I hate it. My rewatch score: 1 out 10

Posted on: June 14 2009 @ 12:56 AM
By: Agent Z

Content:

[QUOTE BY= silvanthalas] All in all, I enjoyed this one enough. Nothing spectacular about it, the usual plot holes you can drive a bus through (pun intended), etc.

I guess I didn't have any major problems with it, beyond the fact that it didn't really feel like it was worth the wait. It just felt like a standard episode.[/QUOTE]

This is the feeling I'm left with, albeit JUST from watching said episode.

I did have a problem with the flying bus at the end. I didn't understand where that would lead. Yes, Lady Christina escapes, but she will still be wanted. The bus can't go forever. I also don't like that the Doctor is known to have aided in her escape. How will THAT sit with UNIT and like authorities?

Maybe I am thinking too far into it, I'll admit.

While the episode wasn't boring, it just felt....lazy. Instead of Hath, we now have fly creatures. The sonic screwdriver is being way overused. In past episodes, the "regular" people stranded with the Doctor felt genuine and were explored more. Here, they seem to be going through the motions with some forced sentimentality about what they are looking forward to once back at home. Fine, but outside of that moment, we never really spend anymore time with them.

I did like Lady Christina. I will admit that I wanted her to be a Companion, and she may still be...but have I mentioned how much I hated the ending they gave her?

With so few episodes left, this one feels like a missed opportunity, to be sure.

On a scale of 5, I will give Planet of the Dead a 3, and it's closer to being a 2.5 than a 3.5 on the swing.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=31118