Subject: A T-shirt idea for comment

Posted on: May 06 2009 @ 08:18 AM
By: BongMong

Content:

Hi folks, I love the new 'In ????? We Trust' T-shirts. As an extra idea, what do you all think of putting 'E unum pluribus' on the back as an interesting Who related and US motto related misquote?

I'm sure all the fans would get it.

Anyone else like the idea or am I just a Who Weirdo?

Replies:

A T-shirt idea for comment

Posted on: May 06 2009 @ 08:45 AM
By: Louis

Content:

Thanks!

I know how it relates to US currency... but I have to admit I am little fuzzy on the Doctor Who part except for the meaning, "Out of Many, One" which could apply to the Doctor. Or was it quoted somewhere in an episode?

We can do it. It will drive up the costs per shirt a couple bucks or so (not our doing, but the manufacturing fee for printing on both sides), but it can be done.

If nothing else, perhaps we can do it for some shirt and see how they do.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: May 06 2009 @ 09:22 AM
By: daveac

Content:

But where's the shirt with:-

In Louis, Ken & James We Trust

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: May 06 2009 @ 05:49 PM
By: BongMong

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]
Thanks!

I know how it relates to US currency... but I have to admit I am little fuzzy on the Doctor Who part except for the meaning, "Out of Many, One" which could apply to the Doctor. Or was it quoted somewhere in an episode? [/QUOTE]

Right, correct me if I'm wrong US chums, but I believe 'E pluribus unum' was the original US motto meaning 'Out of many, one'. The motto was more recently changed to 'In God We Trust'.

Since you have played with the new motto on the front, it amused me to switch the words around to create 'E unum pluribus' which would mean 'Out of one, many' (I guess, anyone who actually did Latin at school please feel free to error check that conceptual leap). That would make it an amusing salute to all the Whos and the Who concept, yep the regeneration thing. It's not a quote from Who (though the original was one quoted in my favourite part of The Wizard of Oz, remember?).

Perhaps that's a bit obscure for the less crazed Who loonies. I may find that funnier than the sane do. Perhaps I shall get a mate to lend me their plastic (I'm a financial luddite, if you can't scratch a window with it I don't accept it) and buy one of your shirts, then put my own transfer on the back.

Still, I might get too many funny looks... Smile~

Posted on: May 07 2009 @ 09:58 AM
By: merlin_mccarley

Content:

[QUOTE BY= BongMong] [QUOTE BY= Louis]
Thanks!

I know how it relates to US currency... but I have to admit I am little fuzzy on the Doctor Who part except for the meaning, "Out of Many, One" which could apply to the Doctor. Or was it quoted somewhere in an episode? [/QUOTE]

Right, correct me if I'm wrong US chums, but I believe 'E pluribus unum' was the original US motto meaning 'Out of many, one'. The motto was more recently changed to 'In God We Trust'.

Since you have played with the new motto on the front, it amused me to switch the words around to create 'E unum pluribus' which would mean 'Out of one, many' (I guess, anyone who actually did Latin at school please feel free to error check that conceptual leap). That would make it an amusing salute to all the Whos and the Who concept, yep the regeneration thing. It's not a quote from Who (though the original was one quoted in my favourite part of The Wizard of Oz, remember?).

Perhaps that's a bit obscure for the less crazed Who loonies. I may find that funnier than the sane do. Perhaps I shall get a mate to lend me their plastic (I'm a financial luddite, if you can't scratch a window with it I don't accept it) and buy one of your shirts, then put my own transfer on the back.

Still, I might get too many funny looks... Smile~[/QUOTE]

Ok, many things there that require more explination than I am willing to go into here. Both motos are on our currency, nothing has changed there. But just changing word order means nothing in Latin, you would have to say "Ex unus, plures." to change the meaning to "Out of one, many." Hope that clears up some of the understandable confusion (I was scratching my head a bit as well on your first post).

Merlin

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=31595