Subject: Forum Structure

Posted on: May 12 2009 @ 12:23 AM
By: Louis

Content:

What are everyone's feelings about having the forums arranged by each Doctor's era as they currently are right now? Is it too much?

Would decades work better (i.e. 1960's, 1970's, etc.)? By using decades, it will bring the 11 forums for each Doctor into just 5 (well, soon to be 6, come next year).

I am trying to resist going the segregation way of using "1963-1989 (or 1996) and 2005-current," but perhaps it should be an option to consider as well.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Louis

Replies:

Forum Structure

Posted on: May 12 2009 @ 06:08 AM
By: daveac

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]

What are everyone's feelings about having the forums arranged by each Doctor's era as they currently are right now? Is it too much?

Would decades work better (i.e. 1960's, 1970's, etc.)? By using decades, it will bring the 11 forums for each Doctor into just 5 (well, soon to be 6, come next year).

I am trying to resist going the segregation way of using "1963-1989 (or 1996) and 2005-current," but perhaps it should be an option to consider as well.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Well Louis, personally - I like the individual Doctor sections.

Cheers, daveac

Forum Structure

Posted on: May 12 2009 @ 07:12 AM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

Personally I agree with Dave. The individual Doctor sections work for me.

[QUOTE BY= Louis] Is it too much?

[/QUOTE]

All the forums I use (which admittedly is only about 5 or 6, and this is the only Doctor Who board I use) have more sections than here.

I really don't think we're overloaded with categories. It was the simple fact that on places like Outpost Gallifrey's boards, you seemingly couldnt get a word in edgeways that brought me here in the first place. There are 100s of sections, and you've got people on there with 20,000 posts (how the hell anyone reaches that number is beyond me).

I greatly prefer our smaller community and it's very neat, simple structure.

Forum Structure

Posted on: May 12 2009 @ 07:39 AM
By: cybercolin

Content:

If you think this forum's overloaded Louis, you should check out DWO's. They've got a forum for everything and I mean everything!

I like this forum as it is! Big Grin

Forum Structure

Posted on: May 12 2009 @ 08:30 AM
By: sgb1975

Content:

I agree with the consensus so far. Individual Doctor forums seem to work well and are very intuitive as to where to post or look for certain topics. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Forum Structure

Posted on: May 12 2009 @ 09:16 AM
By: capricorn1

Content:

I think it would be best to consolidate the forums slightly, less is more.

I would suggest you have a Forum for the classic era, as you suggested and then one for the new series. Perhaps a separate forum for "the Matt Smith" era when it starts as well as I suspect the current doctor always generates most traffic, especially when it's on air.

Forum Structure

Posted on: May 12 2009 @ 12:12 PM
By: Doctor Whoovie

Content:

I like the current structure, one forum per Doctor and separate forums for Torchwood and SJA, the GA etc.

This works well, since this give a clean definition on where to post items.

e.g. I want to post something on 'The key 2 time: The chaos pool', okay it goes in the Peter Davison section, likewise an item on the 8th Doctor Big finish Shada story, it goes under Paul McGann.

If we change to a decade based system do audio and book content belong with the time period they are released in, or the time period that the related Doctor was on the TV (TV in the UK to be more specific).

There is a big Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey ... Stuff problem here.

Forum Structure

Posted on: May 12 2009 @ 03:39 PM
By: Idiom

Content:

Yes, I agree with the majority of posts above that the existing structure is very logical and user-friendly. I've enjoyed my first year on the forums, thanks to everyone here!

Forum Structure

Posted on: May 12 2009 @ 11:31 PM
By: kwlinder

Content:

I'm with everyone, I like the forums separated by Doctor. It's a very clean and simple way of having things organized, never had a problem finding anything.

As the old adage goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Forum Structure

Posted on: May 13 2009 @ 12:36 AM
By: Louis

Content:

Wow. Thanks everyone! I was worried that I may not get much of a response, at least not as quickly as this... Big Grin

OK, they will stay in same structure as they are now, categorized in each Doctor's era.

This makes things easier than trying to reinvent the wheel.

I am working on a new version of our website behind the scenes. It's using a different CMS (content management system) than we are currently using, which means everything will be changing. But all the content here is not going away. Even after we migrate to the new system, this will be around as an archive of the last four years (when the site was upgraded with the current system) back in 2005.

I am not sure the new CMS is the perfect solution, there seems to be pros and cons with any change. I will spell them out better when I have a better idea of the major differences. I am worried about the forums because I know how important it is for everyone (including myself).

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Cheers,
Louis

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=31685