Subject: Companion announced: Karen Gillan

Posted on: June 01 2009 @ 07:14 AM
By: lucas

Content:

So it's been three days since Karen Gillan was announced as the 11th Doctor's companion, and there's been barely a comment about it here!

Is this an indication that the casting has failed to capture our imaginations? (Or is everyone just off doing something else... Having a life, maybe...)

Come on! What does everyone think?

My first reaction when I saw her photo was that I could imagine that she and Matt Smith standing side by side would look remarkably like the poster for the movie Twilight. Given the phenomenon that that franchise is, I guess that might actually be something the producers were aiming for, although being Steven Moffat I'm sure he's also got a lot of great ideas to back it up.

So yes, she is younger than I would have liked, it would have been great to have seen Matt Smith with a slightly older woman. But having said that -

1. Karen Gillan is gorgeous;

2. In Moffat we trust;

and I'm dying to see she and Matt in action on screen! Still so long to wait!!!

Replies:

Companion announced: Karen Gillan

Posted on: June 01 2009 @ 07:44 AM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

Moffat's quote about her was excellent!

Posted on: June 02 2009 @ 06:00 AM
By: Milamber

Content:

I applaud Moffat & Co for backing two relative unknowns in Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. I think with some stellar scripts, the show could get even better.

Interesting note: She played the Soothsayer in The Fires of Pompeii, unrecognisable in full constume and makeup.

Here are some links I found while trying to find out who Karen is.

Official Announcement

Karen Gillan on IMDB

Clips of Karen Gillan on "The Kevin Bishop Show"

Pic of Karen Gillan as companion - If this is her offical outfit, I think it suits her.

Posted on: June 02 2009 @ 08:46 AM
By: Tardis-Knight

Content:

She's definitely cute.

In fact so cute at least we probably won't have to have the whole Doctor In Love scenario/dilemma for a while, because Matt Smith blatantly doesnt stand a cat in hell's chance.

Posted on: June 02 2009 @ 09:55 PM
By: Chase

Content:

Don;t be so sure. It'll be all "hearts" for the Doctor from day one. In NO ONE we trust. Moffat has to prove himself. I have to remind myself he was behind TIME CRASH and CURSE OF FATAL DEATH as well as...what else? BLINK and EMPTY CHILD so the very bad vs the very good.

And yeah the casting does not inspire...same old same old. Which reminds me again of the mid to late 1980s dilemma: Tegan, Peri, Mel, and a horrid start for Ace.

Posted on: July 04 2009 @ 07:20 PM
By: Linquel

Content:

I'm happy, but then again...I have a thing for red heads.

Big Grin

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=32080