Subject: Sabalom Glitz

Posted on: April 23 2006 @ 03:31 PM
By: JeffL

Content:

This is a guy who might have made a good companion or at least a more frequently recurring nemesis. He appeared in two Colin Baker stories and disappeared. Tony Selby was great in the part.

Replies:

Sabalom Glitz

Posted on: April 25 2006 @ 04:56 AM
By: James Brown 1977

Content:

It would have been nice for him to feature in at least oner more TV episode but it was not to be. Have you read the Past Doctor BBC novel mission impractical? He features in that a good read if you can get hold of it.

Sabalom Glitz

Posted on: April 25 2006 @ 04:58 AM
By: James Brown 1977

Content:

I forgot to add the he also features in the Silv Mcoy story Dragonfire, which you may not have seen. Also a good story.

Sabalom Glitz

Posted on: April 25 2006 @ 07:57 AM
By: Radar

Content:

I disagree that Sabalom Glitz would have made a good companion. I like the character, I have no problem with him, but he isn't companion material, probably for several reasons. However, the one that stands out to me is - he's too greedy, selfish etc., or we could just say 'too evil', to use a cliché.

The Doctor has taken on companions who are markedly less than perfect in the past, but with the exception of Adam, he changes them away from this. To pick on a specific person - Turlough. The Fifth Doctor taught Turlough to look out for others besides himself and to care about more than just his own survival and returning to his home planet safely.

I cannot see Sabalom Glitz making that sort of transformation. Maybe others can, but this is just my take on the matter.

As for recurring nemesis - yes, that would have been very interesting to see, I agree.

Sabalom Glitz

Posted on: April 26 2006 @ 09:48 AM
By: daveac

Content:

[QUOTE BY= JeffL] This is a guy who might have made a good companion or at least a more frequently recurring nemesis. He appeared in two Colin Baker stories and disappeared. Tony Selby was great in the part.[/QUOTE]

A bit like Vila in Blake's 7

Cheers, daveac

Sabalom Glitz

Posted on: April 26 2006 @ 10:46 AM
By: tarashnat

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac]A bit like Vila in Blake's 7[/QUOTE]
I don't see Sabalom Glitz taking his shoes off, he's seems more of a chap that'd die with his boots on... Twisted Evil

Taras

Sabalom Glitz

Posted on: March 16 2007 @ 08:11 PM
By: JeffL

Content:

Oh yes I have seen him in Dragonfire too.

I also wonder if he'd ever make a comeback in a BF Audio.

Sabalom Glitz

Posted on: March 17 2007 @ 11:06 AM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

Couldn't stand the character. Certainly wouldn't make a good companion. Too immobile. Actually, I think it's the interpretation of the character by Tony Selby that's most annoying. His is embarrassing panto acting. Never got the feeling he was trying to craft, so much as caricature. The basic character archetype might be interesting in a more serious actor's hands. But, as it was, Selby didn't give Baker much to play off of. I know Baker has some warm things to say about the character and the actor, but, really, Selby drug Baker down. Plus, Glitz was kinda poorly derivative of The Collector from "The Sun Makers".

Sabalom Glitz

Posted on: November 13 2007 @ 10:19 AM
By: cybercolin

Content:

I liked him. He was a 'Loveable Rogue' sort of character. The new series would benefit from a type of (recurring) character like him!

Sabalom Glitz

Posted on: January 06 2009 @ 12:23 AM
By: Billyaxe

Content:

Tony Selby contributes a commentary to the new DVD 'A Trial Of A Time lord' Colin, Nicola and he seem to get on very well which makes for an entertaining commentary. Check it out.

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=3516