Subject: The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: June 19 2006 @ 11:17 AM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

How odd that the second-longest-serving Doctor is getting so little interest on this forum. So I'll throw out a very standard question for y'all: which Pertwee story do you enjoy the most? Why?

Replies:

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: June 19 2006 @ 04:26 PM
By: shoggoth

Content:

The question is where to start? It is so hard for me to pick a favorite Pertwee episode. I think his run was blessed with very solid writers and really epic stories.

If I had to pick just one episode, it would probably have to be The Daemons. My second choice would be Death to the Daleks.

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: June 19 2006 @ 11:45 AM
By: Doctor Whoovie

Content:

That's a tough one, but its between the following

Death to the Daleks - I remember this fondly from my childhood and was terrified, I watched it recently and still found it enjoyable - especially the vacuum cleaner monsters on visible wires.

The seadevils - Another episode that made a big impression on me a a primary school kid, though I havn't seen this episode recently to re-evaluate.

Planet of the Spiders - Same situation as the seadevils, childhood memories say excellent, but no recent viewing for verification

Two episode I remember as good, didn't bear up so well on a recent reviewing.

The Daemons - The image of Bok being blown up by a bazooka then reforming is burned in my mind. On seeing it recently I found the story good but not superb, a little twee with the Morris dancing etc. More over the blowing up of Bok effect seems very fake by todays standards.

The Green Death. Again the maggots loomed large in my memory, but watching this episode recently seemed pretty dissapointing, not terrible but perhaps a bit too long for the available subject matter.

I think for now based on memory and recent viewing I would need to put "Death to the Daleks" as my favorite Pertwee episode until someone else steers me towards other episodes that I either haven't seen, don't remember seeing or were too cerebral for little kids.

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: June 19 2006 @ 02:22 PM
By: taff1a

Content:

I'd have to say Green Death. Partly because I'm Welsh (even though some of the accents were diabolical), but mainly because I thought the story raced along at a fair lick. The comedy insert with the Doctor ariving on Metabelis 3(sp?)was good as well. Whilst Inferno was an interesting concept, it was overly long, with quite a flabby script that could have been significantly trimmed, but then most Doctor stories longer than 4 episodes could (even some of the 4 ep stories) for all of the Doctors (spendid fellows, all of them)

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: June 19 2006 @ 07:04 PM
By: seanhuxter

Content:

My Who experience began with Baker's Robot, so I didn't get to see much Pertwee until a couple of years ago, when I started buying up VHS episodes from Amazon.

I think my fave is "Colony in Space" or "Frontier in Space".

Now I haven't seen them all, and I did like "The Daemons" a bit... lots of good UNIT interaction.

Never seen it, but man, I'm looking forward to the DVD release of "Inferno."

Sean.

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: June 21 2006 @ 05:53 PM
By: sfHeath

Content:

I remember quite enjoying the few Pertwee stories that I saw. However, I must have read eighty of the Target novelisations and I always liked the Pertwee stories best. I don't know why. And of all those novelisations, The Daemons was always my favorite.

Maybe it's the military thing. When other kids were into GI Joe, I was into UNIT. That could very well be. They all seemed so... respectable. Yates, Benton, good ol Brig...

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: June 21 2006 @ 07:50 PM
By: shoggoth

Content:

I was in my local Barnes and Noble the other night and picked up The Claws of Axos. I'd never seen it before, much to my embarrassment. I'd heard plenty about it over the years, but always managed to miss it.

After seeing it I put together a more complete list of my top ten favorite Pertwee episodes. Here goes:

1.) The Daemons
2.) Death to the Daleks
3.) Planet of the Spiders
4.) Frontier in Space
5.) The Time Warrior
6.) The Green Death
7.) Doctor Who and The Silurians
8.) The Green Death
9.) Terror of the Autons
10.) The Three Doctors

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: June 21 2006 @ 11:10 PM
By: Doctor Whoovie

Content:

[QUOTE BY= shoggoth]

1.) The Daemons
2.) Death to the Daleks
3.) Planet of the Spiders
4.) Frontier in Space
5.) The Time Warrior
6.) The Green Death
7.) Doctor Who and The Silurians
8.) The Green Death
9.) Terror of the Autons
10.) The Three Doctors[/QUOTE]

The Green Death, so good they named it twice,

On New Earth it would be the Green, Green Death (of Home) Big Grin

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: June 22 2006 @ 01:41 AM
By: *

Content:

[QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical] How odd that the second-longest-serving Doctor is getting so little interest on this forum. So I'll throw out a very standard question for y'all: which Pertwee story do you enjoy the most? Why?[/QUOTE]

Death to the Daleks

*Sarah Jane Smith in a bathing suit.

*The creepy atmosphere of part 1.

*”Primitive weapons moderately efficient!”

*The Holy **** look the Daleks give each other when that one Dalek is destroyed by the sea monster thing.

*The mystery of the city.

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: June 22 2006 @ 07:51 AM
By: stjohnny

Content:

[QUOTE BY= DarthSkeptical] How odd that the second-longest-serving Doctor is getting so little interest on this forum. So I'll throw out a very standard question for y'all: which Pertwee story do you enjoy the most? Why?[/QUOTE]

dont you mean how Ood? lol

Three Doctors for me, if you can count that as a Pertwee story, i just enjoy the verbal whippings 2 and 3 give each other!

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: July 04 2006 @ 10:21 PM
By: Palms

Content:

I had never seen a Jon Pertwee episode before 3 weeks ago, but thanks to our local library and the late night episodes that run on BBC Kids in Canada, I have had the chance to see

The Three Doctors
The Green Death
Doctor Who and the Silurians
Inferno
Spearhead From Space

I really liked all of them, but three Doctors, Green Death and Spearhead were my favourites.

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: July 18 2006 @ 03:55 PM
By: indiana_brian

Content:

My favorites, in no particular order are.
1. The Time Warrior. How fun is it to see the Doctor (or anyone else) continually outwitting Irongron?
2. The Three Doctors. I love the banter between the 2nd and 3rd Doctors.
3. The Mind of Evil. A good Master story. Anyone ever notice that the Master gets in over his head sometimes and needs the Doctors' help to get things under control.
4. Inferno. This one has a good atmosphere of doom hanging over it. Not to mention the totalitarian versions of U.N.I.T. personel.
5. Spearhead from Space. It does prove that Jon Pertwee is the Doctor.
6. The Daemons. Is it magic or science. Magic...Science...Magic...Science.
7. The Green Death. The Doctor dressed as a milkman and char woman, what else to you need.
8. The Sea Devils. This story, like many others, shows how patriotism is used by many people for personal gain.
9. Frontier in Space. A good story of divide & conquer and how fear and bigotry can lead to misunderstanding and war.
10. Planet of The Spiders. The Doctors own green comes back to haunt him and he faces the consequences of his actions.

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: July 18 2006 @ 04:37 PM
By: Omega

Content:

My favorite Pertwee stories are as follows in order which does vary from time to time:
1. Terror of the Autons; great story, introduction of the Master who is probably my second favorite villian in the series, the Autons are great and are used more effectively dressing up as Policemen in this story, and its one of the first times in Doctor Who that we have a villian that gets away at the end.
2. Mind of Evil; great spy adventure style story.
3. Time Warrior
4. Seadevils
5. Curse of Peladon
6. Doctor Who and The Silurians
7. Spearhead From Space
8. Inferno
9. Three Doctors
10. Day Of The Daleks

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: February 06 2007 @ 06:54 PM
By: simpsoak

Content:

The Pertwee years are particular close to my heart. While I saw episodes with Davison and the Bakers before Pertwee, it was when my local PBS station started playing Pertwee episodes that I first became a fervent Doctor Who fan. I have to this day most of the episodes on VHS from this period. Most of my favorite stories come from probably my favorite season of any Doctor, Season 10. This season includes:

1. The Three Doctors
2. Carnival of Monsters
3. Frontier in Space
4. Planet of the Daleks
5. Green Death

I remember the five weeks in which these stories played being particularly fun for my younger self. Beside these five episodes I would add in no particular order:

1. Inferno
2. Death to the Daleks
3. Mind of Evil
4. The Silurians

I find it frustrating that so few Pertwee stories have been released on DVD so far.

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: February 06 2007 @ 07:15 PM
By: daveac

Content:

[QUOTE BY= simpsoak]
2. Carnival of Monsters
[/QUOTE]

That's a real favourite of mine too.

Cheers, daveac

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: February 12 2007 @ 06:00 PM
By: gackt

Content:

heres my pertwee top ten:

1 Inferno
2 The Sea Devils
3 The Ambassadors of Death
4 The Mind of Evil
5 The Green Death
6 the Silurians
7 Carnival of Monsters
8 The Time Warrior
9 Spearhead from Space
10 The Daemons

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: February 13 2007 @ 07:03 PM
By: JeffL

Content:

"Inferno" is right up there, probably my favorite.

I also like "Carnival of the Monsters"

"The Mind of Evil" is one I also like a lot.

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: February 13 2007 @ 07:12 PM
By: merlin_mccarley

Content:

Perhaps not my absoulte fave of #3 but since I have not seen it mentioned here.

The Time Monster

We have Doctor/Master dynamics, Timelords showing their immunity to certain time effects, TARDIS inside TARDIS,
and the B movie greatness of Ingrid Pitt Cool .

What's not to love?
Mike M.

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: February 13 2007 @ 10:37 PM
By: DarthSkeptical

Content:

Yay! Finally someone else who sees something in "The Time Monster". A lot of fans hate that story, but I think it's a fun romp for the full Pertwee "family" of characters. Its plot is utter nonsense, of course, but a) its plot withstands scrutiny better than 50% of the classic stories ever made; and b) the acting and dialogue do wonders for shoring up its somewhat shaky foundations. Yeah, it'll at least leave you wondering how many times Doctor Who can do the fall of Atlantis. But, c'mon: baby Benton, people. How can ya get too stroppy with a story that gives you baby Benton?

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: February 13 2007 @ 11:06 PM
By: merlin_mccarley

Content:

Yes, I neglected to mention the Baby Benton, but I also didn't mention a Mounted Knight, Roundheads, A V1 rocket, and a Minutar. But yes, there is something to this story beyond the obvious. Perhaps the sentimentality of the penultimate Delgado appearance, or possibilties introduced with 2 TARDIS units in the story. But plot and monster... Uh, well did I mention that it contains the secret of life?

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: February 14 2007 @ 12:14 AM
By: tarashnat

Content:

The best (worst) acronym in the history of Doctor Who— Transmission of Matter Through Interstitial Time (TOMTIT)!

edit: was in The Time Monster

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: February 14 2007 @ 12:47 AM
By: Louis

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
The best (worst) acronym in the history of Doctor Who— Transmission of Matter Through Interstitial Time (TOMTIT)![/QUOTE]

Laughing Out Loud LOL Laughing Out Loud Yeah, that needs an award or something!

Cheers,
Louis

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: February 15 2007 @ 11:33 AM
By: shockeye07

Content:

for what its worth he is my top 10
1.Inferno
2.The Sea Devils
3.The Daemons
4.The Three Doctors
5.Spearhead From Space
6.The Green Death
7.The Claws of Axos
8.Day Of The Daleks
9.The Time warrior
10.Terror Of The Autons

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: July 01 2007 @ 08:56 AM
By: lucas

Content:

Pertwee's era is the one I've always had least interest in, I found him hard to warm to. But there are a few stories I have a lot of affection for:

1. "The Time Warrior" was the first Target novelisation I ever read, and from memory it might have almost been my first exposure to Doctor Who in any medium. I still remember how thrilling I found that book to be as a kid.

2. I love "Carnival of Monsters" - one of the first examples I can think of of circularity-based stories, which are one of my favourite SF devices (though a bit cliche now).

3. The Autons were always my favourite Doctor Who villain just behind the Cybermen, but I don't remember actually watching either of their stories until I was much older. Again, I assume my associations of them came from reading the Target novelisations (particularly Terror of the Autons, I think).

4. Who couldn't love The Three Doctors? When I had to direct a multi-camera studio exercise in film school a few years ago, I chose a scene from The Three Doctors: "Jo, it's all quite simple, I am he and he is me..."

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: July 01 2007 @ 10:22 AM
By: Ken

Content:

Mind of Evil, Terror of the Autons, Sea Devils, Amb. of Death are some of my favs

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: September 18 2007 @ 10:50 AM
By: Tin Dog Podcast

Content:

Inferno
The Daemons
The Sea Devils
The Time warrior
Day Of The Daleks
The Three Doctors
Spearhead From Space
Carnival of monsters
The Claws of Axos
The Spiders

and my own film with him in lol

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: January 22 2008 @ 10:07 PM
By: starrchild

Content:

I'm a hude fan of the third Doctor and really enjoy every story.
I guess my favorite would have to be The Deamons,followed by The Silurians.I think season 7 is just amazing!

I'm aware that the third Doctor has fallen from grace in recent years,at least here in the U.K,& i can never understand why?

I remember a time when everyone thought the Pertwee years was a pinacle in the shows history and i'm interested in finding out why most people have turned away from that era.

I still think that it holds up very strong in any era,and that shows in the new series.For me it is more closely related than any other.

It was in the Third Doctors time that we first approched the stories from earth and for the first time we had a thought that there might be something more to the Doctors friendship with a companion.
I think that is really ground breaking,and we never saw anything like that repeated at least until the Paul McGann movie.

I would also like to say i love the Master.
For me one of the great things about the show is the mystery.
I think its just great we don't know the full story behind their relationship,why one can't kill the other,etc.
It just gives an extra death to the chracter.I just hope they leave it a secret for a bit longer.

The Dandy's Finest

Posted on: January 23 2008 @ 11:07 AM
By: daveac

Content:

[QUOTE BY= starrchild]

I'm aware that the third Doctor has fallen from grace in recent years,at least here in the U.K,& i can never understand why?
[/QUOTE]

Firstly - welcome to the forum.

Have you listenned to PodShock Epi 98 on the third doctor - there were a lot of his fans on there - myself included.

However people were upset by him being exiled on Earth - but in fact due to Gallifrey ordering him about he did visit a few planets.

Cheers, daveac

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=5365