Subject: SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 19 2006 @ 04:35 PM
By: tarashnat

Content:

Louis,

I noticed that you have included a link to a SETI@home team: Gallifreyan Embassy (Doctor Who: Podshock) in the links directory. I was wondering whether you wanted others to join the team and whether you want to actively promote it in the forum...

Taras

Replies:

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 19 2006 @ 04:41 PM
By: Louis

Content:

Hey Taras,

Yep... I wanted to write up an article last night on it and post to the site... but I ran out of time and never got around to doing it. The article would announce the new team that formed.

I started with SETI at Home back in 1999, but had taken a little hiatus from the program. I recently returned to it and thought it would be cool to have our own team.

Cheers,
Louis

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 20 2006 @ 04:07 PM

Content:

Well, we've got a total of three people now... I finally got around to joining the team.

I didn't jump onto SETI@home until April 2001, but with the mumber of computers I had allowed me to build up an impressive amount of work units. In the classic SETI@home era, my CPUs contributed over 16.6 years of compute time. Mind you, the year my dual G5 put in meant many more work units than my 6100 or 5300... Actually, the dual G5 could compute 6 work units before my iMac G4 could even manage one.

Taras

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 21 2006 @ 05:00 PM

Content:

I started back in 1999, back in the Mac OS 9 days... Processed many work units then (now termed as "classic")... but when I migrated to Mac OS X, I never installed the version that was available at that time for OS X... so I had stopped participating in SETI@home --- at least while home. I think I still had a PC I was using at the office running it. Though I had stupidly set up another account with SETI@home for the office PC, and now that I would like to merge the two accounts I have, I don't believe I can. So I am not being credited for the units I processed with my original PC at the office. When the PC was replaced with a newer system, again, I never got around to installing SETI@home on that...

So it is only this week that I am back actively participating in the program using their new BOINC software. I still only have it set up at the office, running on two machines (an old Mac and an IBM PC) at this time. I may install it on an old Mac here at home as well.

Technically, I still have the classic SETI@home screensaver on the old G3 Mac here at home which was initially set up back in 1999 with SETI@home, but it is so rare that I boot up that machine, that I am sure whatever work unit it has on it, has long since expired. Besides, I am not sure if they are even still serving up units to the "classic" SETI@home screensaver today.

I have about five other Macs I could install it on, but I doubt I will... mostly because they are systems that either are hardly on these days or which I do more processor intensive work on which I rather not bog down with anything in the background that is not necessary for the work I need to do. Though there is one old Mac that I am have been contemplating using as a file-server and communications systems which would be on all the time that I may run it on.

Cheers,
Louis

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 22 2006 @ 01:43 AM
By: gwensdad2003

Content:

I'm on the team as darthkosh (my ye olde yahoo ID)

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 22 2006 @ 04:09 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= gwensdad2003] I'm on the team as darthkosh (my ye olde yahoo ID)[/QUOTE]

I think I have seen that name before. Would you happen to use it elsewhere on the net, Second Life or perhaps XBox Live?

Welcome to the team.

Cheers,
Louis

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 22 2006 @ 10:40 AM
By: gwensdad2003

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= gwensdad2003] I'm on the team as darthkosh (my ye olde yahoo ID)[/QUOTE]

I think I have seen that name before. Would you happen to use it elsewhere on the net, Second Life or perhaps XBox Live?

Welcome to the team.

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

No, but I've seen at least 2 or 3 other people who have used it for their e-mail accounts, etc.
Never been on 2nd life or Xbox live (I've got a PS2 and want a WII)

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 22 2006 @ 11:30 AM
By: BadWolf

Content:

Just a note for new users.

The server seems to shut down at night.

I have tried to link two computers at night and they have both come back with error messages saying that I need to configure port 80 to work with my firewall.

Port 80 is the http port so if you can get a web page the port is open.

When I have gone back to "attach" the following morning everything works fine.

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 02:04 PM

Content:

Three and half year old units? OK, I realize I just re-started analyzing work units again after taking a few years off. I remember during the "classic" era of SETI@home, the work units I was analyzing were about a year old. But now I see all my work units are from May 2003. Is this the standard practice with SETI@home now? Or am I being served old units because of my long hiatus from the program? With everyone involved in the program, are we really three and half years behind now? Or are we re-analyzing units that were already processed?

Just curious...

Cheers,
Louis

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 02:16 PM
By: merlin_mccarley

Content:

Iv'e had it running background for so long I dont even check any more. Wink Yeah I remember a while ago they were trying to work a third pass on all data. That might explain why I am processing data from May 02 2003. Also there were problems with the Arecibo data for several months. Couldn't find a general statistics page anymore so the current project progress is Question .

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 02:18 PM
By: Mohan

Content:

It's funny to see this. For several years I used to run the old SETI at home program and then I upgraded to the now BONIC version and stopped doing it. I opted to come back to the BONIC program because I chose to start the folding proteins @home (I think it's Rosetta@home) project instead of SETI. I thought that help to find new drugs to aid people fighting against various diseases was more noble than looking for aliens. But then I received a follow-up e-mail from SETI at home asking me to come back into the fold. I believe the email stated that the data they were receiving now had an even greater sensitivity than before and that old data was being combed through just in case.

Last night I fired SETI at home back up but now I can't get either to work properly. I have to see what's setup wrong--I just haven't had time.

I thought it was funny to see this post here as I hadn't had time to get the forums and this post caught my eye.

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 02:55 PM

Content:

Currently, I am only running the BOINC software for SETI@home with two computers I use at the office (an IBM PC and an old Mac). I couldn't get it to work properly on the PC at first. There must have been some sort of hiccup during the initial installation and it's process of associating with my existing SETI@home account. It was linked with an account that simply read "User" instead of my name. I almost gave up on it entirely after trying everything I could to fix it (using the Accounts Manager feature in BOINC only resulted in an error from the SETI site when trying to call up my account). Even uninstalling from Windows and reinstalling did not fix it... until I tried to uninstall using the installer (instead of Windows). I did that and reinstalled.. and this time it was able to sync with my existing account.

So if BOINC is not working as it should, one could try uninstalling it (using the installer program) and then reinstalling it to see if that solves any problems you may be experiencing.

Now that I have BOINC working on both the PC and Mac, I am thinking of also joining other programs via the BOINC software... Perhaps Rosetta@home as Mohan mentioned.

Cheers,
Louis

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 05:19 PM
By: Mohan

Content:

Louis, thanks for the info.

And for anyone who is interested, here's the url for Rosetta@Home

Here's a blurb from the site:

"Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's (See our Disease Related Research for more information). Please join us in our efforts! Rosetta@home is not for profit."

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 07:38 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Mohan] Louis, thanks for the info.

And for anyone who is interested, here's the url for Rosetta@Home

Here's a blurb from the site:

"Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's (See our Disease Related Research for more information). Please join us in our efforts! Rosetta@home is not for profit."[/QUOTE]

Thanks... some worthy cures to discover there... I joined up with Rosetta@home and formed a new team there as well.

Rosetta@home Team for the Gallifreyan Embassy / Doctor Who: Podshock

Cheers,
Louis

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 31 2006 @ 09:45 PM

Content:

Seven active members with one in Canada and one in Germany. We're going global and have a healthy average recent credit. Go Team Venture, uhm, Podshock!

Taras

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: November 15 2006 @ 01:48 PM

Content:

I had to suspend my Rosetta@home activities because it keeps on crashing the PC Windows machine I have it running on at the office. I haven't tried it on the Mac yet... but it definitely crashes the PC often enough that I had to suspend it's activities. No problems running the SETI@home on that machine though.

I am a bit surprised since that PC which it ran on is pretty clean... no other TSR apps running on it really. Oh well, I should try starting Rosetta@home on a Mac here at the office and see how well it does on it.

Cheers,
Louis

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: November 15 2006 @ 03:53 PM
By: rocko

Content:

I've been running SETI@Home on several windows-based and linux-based computers since it's inception, and have rarely had any troubles. I do notice problems, however, if I try to upgrade my firewall program (ZoneAlarm) while BOINC is running. As a precaution, I tend to kill BOINC before installing new software or updates.

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: December 14 2006 @ 06:21 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
Seven active members with one in Canada and one in Germany. We're going global and have a healthy average recent credit. Go Team Venture, uhm, Podshock![/QUOTE]
Now ten active members out of a dozen signed up with one in the UK and one in Oz joining the mix. And a total credit of over 65,000. Nice!

Taras

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: January 22 2007 @ 03:58 AM

Content:

Total credit is over 120,000 and with a recent average credit now at a hair over 1500.

Go team!

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: January 24 2007 @ 02:03 AM

Content:

The team just passed Buffy Fans!

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: January 24 2007 @ 02:08 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
The team just passed Buffy Fans! [/QUOTE]

No way... Really?

Wow.

Kudos everyone!

Cheers,
Louis

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: January 25 2007 @ 03:36 PM

Content:

and we passed Star Trek Addicts today...

OK, so some of these teams may not be very active anymore, but it makes for fun news.

We are at #7688 as of this writing. We've jumped 2335 spots in the last month, 461 places in the past week and 88 in the last day. All these stats are according to BOINC Stats.

Taras

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: January 25 2007 @ 04:24 PM
By: merlin_mccarley

Content:

Wonderful news indeed! We need more members so we can catch up to H2G2 Wink .

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: January 25 2007 @ 07:05 PM
By: daveac

Content:

[QUOTE BY= merlin_mccarley]
Wonderful news indeed! We need more members so we can catch up to H2G2 Wink .[/QUOTE]

Well I'm sorry I haven't joined - my PC is a few years old now - P4 1.9 with just 384 Ram (PC133 ie.slow memory) and a 60 Gig Drive (That also has Linux on)

My son's similar PC died recently whilst he had SETI running.

He's just bought a P4 Core 2 Duo with 2 Gigs of Fast Ram and large hard disc.

I'm saving up but am helping my daughter get to Australia for three weeks this Easter.

Maybe in the future I can join in.

Cheers, daveac

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: January 25 2007 @ 08:32 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac] My son's similar PC died recently whilst he had SETI running.[/QUOTE]
Well, if one has SETI@home running all the time, then when the PC dies, it will be when it is running... Wink

I have a few older machines (all Macs) on 24/7 so I have them slowly churning away at work units. My new MacBook Pro is blowing all those machines away, but I haven't decided yet how often I'll have it run after a "burn in" period.

There is no pressure to join. And some of the people who have joined only have SETI@home running part time. Who knows, we may be able to find that signal from a non-descript world in the constellation of Kasterborous!

Taras

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: January 30 2007 @ 06:56 PM

Content:

Steadily climbing up the charts. We've got the Green Party of Canada in our sights! And the University of Miami breathing down our necks...

Fun to be had by all.

Taras

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: February 08 2007 @ 10:44 PM

Content:

The team is now at 6808th place as of this writing having recently passed 150,000 work units!

We just blew past the team from Kodak and are gaining on the StarTrek Frontier Fleet team.

Taras

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: February 11 2007 @ 03:01 PM

Content:

Hey, we passed "Borat From Kazakhstan"! How did he get 160,000 BOINC work units? Will we overtake the "Klingon Legion of Assault Warriors, 4th Fleet"? only time will tell...

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: April 24 2007 @ 06:07 PM
By: melter65

Content:

How do I join up? I've been running seti for about 5yrs now. I also run rosetta, einstien and spinhenge. I've never joined a team as this is the first forum I've been on that has seriously had a team!

I seem to think I have to join up through BOINC? I'll have a look when I'm off work for a few days Big Grin

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: April 24 2007 @ 06:46 PM
By: melter65

Content:

[QUOTE BY= rocko] I've been running SETI@Home on several windows-based and linux-based computers since it's inception, and have rarely had any troubles. I do notice problems, however, if I try to upgrade my firewall program (ZoneAlarm) while BOINC is running. As a precaution, I tend to kill BOINC before installing new software or updates.[/QUOTE]

This is a very useful post. I never have BOINC running if I'm downloading anything! I suppose it depends how much RAM you've got, but it seems that BOINC gets jealous if you start downloading whilst it is running!

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: April 25 2007 @ 01:34 AM

Content:

I think the link above may give you the option, if you log in to your seti account on the seti site... I forget how I did it so long ago...

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: October 14 2007 @ 12:46 AM

Content:

The team has processed over half a million work units and has moved into 3259th place as of this writing. We have passed the Astronomy Club - The University of Hong Kong team and will soon overtake the National Oceanography Centre, Southampton (UK) team.

Go team GEDWP! (is it pronounced get-WOOP?)

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: January 25 2008 @ 02:56 AM

Content:

In about three days we should overtake the BBC team! We have recently passed Halliburton and The Highlanders.

SETI@home GEDWP team?

Posted on: March 19 2008 @ 02:00 AM

Content:

The Gallifreyan Embassy Doctor Who Podshock team at SETI@home has surpassed one million work units.

Thanks to all who have contributed CPU cycles...

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=8239