Subject: Torchwood: (E01) Everything Changes

Posted on: October 22 2006 @ 11:44 PM
By: Louis

Content:

** This thread assumes you have seen this episode, and it may contain spoilers pertaining to this episode if you have not already seen it **

OK, I just saw the first episode, Everything Changes and as I post this message I have not seen the second episode.... yet.

I found episode one, very reminiscent of the DW episode Rose except there were no Autons... Jack just about says at the end, "Did I mention it also travels in time" if you think about it.

Gwen even had her own version of Mickey, albeit he had less to do here in this story.

I went into this episode without any expectations except for what we already had learned about the Torchwood organization. Again, I haven't seen the second episode yet as I write this, but although I found Everything Changes interesting, it was nothing that really "wowed" me that much in it. Perhaps that will come in episode 2.

It was good seeing Captain Jack Harkness again, as it has been such a long time since we last saw him.

So, I guess this episode did what it had to do, lay the groundwork for the series. Set everything up, and so forth.

Anyway, I will post my thoughts on episode 2 later on. What was everyone else's take on episode 1, Everything Changes?

Cheers,

Louis

Replies:

Torchwood: (E01) Everything Changes

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 12:05 AM

Content:

Did anyone else had to take a second look at the doctor that medicated Gwen's head wound in this episode? I thought it was Russell T Davies having a cameo in this episode. But I suppose it was not him, but someone that strongly reminded me of him, as the actor I believe is younger.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 12:11 AM
By: BadWolf

Content:

Cryptic spoiler.

The immortal spirit of Bad Wolf lives on.

Not the x-files - not subtle enough but I thought it was better than okay

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 12:18 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= BadWolf] Cryptic spoiler.

The immortal spirit of Bad Wolf lives on.

Not the x-files - not subtle enough but I thought it was better than okay[/QUOTE]

Yes, very true. I originally thought he had some of those medical nanogenes or whatever they are called (from The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances) that repaired him... I wasn't expecting the Bad Wolf connection.

Still, doesn't that take away something from the series and the character? I mean if you know he can't be killed, where is the danger? We know he is going to get out of every situation unscathed. Even Superman had his green Kyptonite.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 12:21 AM

Content:

Louis,

I was trying not to give the details away. Now you've blown itSmile

X-files meets Captain Scarlet perhaps?

I hope you know who Captain Scarlet was, if not you can researchSmile

I wonder when the Doctor will appear?

Look at ep. 2 when I wake up

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 12:23 AM

Content:

By the way...........

Don't these red eye flights wear you outSmile?

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 12:27 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= BadWolf] By the way...........

Don't these red eye flights wear you outSmile?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, especially the long delays... sigh. Wink

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 12:33 AM

Content:

Reflecting.....

I think that it was everything that I expected it to be and I disagree.... it was better than Rose which was full of plot holes.

The immortality thing was an interesting twist.

This is obviously a shoe in for the American market especially having an American lead. I think that it is less quirky than Doctor Who (to outsiders) and unless Sci - Fi have already signed I think that they may have trouble securing the rights to this one. I think that this could be bigger over here simply because it is more accesable

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 12:39 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= BadWolf] ..

[/QUOTE]

I posted a warning in the top part of my original posting in this thread... that we are assuming you have seen this episode if you are reading this thread...

[QUOTE BY= BadWolf] X-files meets Captain Scarlet perhaps?

Look at ep. 2 when I wake up[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I suspect it may be some time before we see the Doctor here if at all. RTD seems to be going out of his way to separate this series from DW in the press... but who knows. I suspect it will be towards the end of series one.

I know of the Gerry Anderson series, Captain Scarlet. But unfortunately, I have never seen it yet. I am a fan of Anderson's other series (Thunderbirds, UFO, and Space: 1999) (although I have seen Space Precinct, I wouldn't call myself a fan of it) so I would be interested in catching Captain Scarlet sometime. I know there is or will a new CGI version of it, right?

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 12:45 AM

Content:

I heard rumour of Captain Scarlet being remade (possibly as a movie) but I have no more details.

I notice that RTD has been careful to keep Doctor Who away from Torchwood (as far as CJ appearences) but noting the other way.

CJ made reference to the Doctor tonight so I think that you could be right about the end of the series

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 12:47 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= BadWolf] Reflecting.....

I think that it was everything that I expected it to be and I disagree.... it was better than Rose which was full of plot holes.

The immortality thing was an interesting twist.

This is obviously a shoe in for the American market especially having an American lead. I think that it is less quirky than Doctor Who (to outsiders) and unless Sci - Fi have already signed I think that they may have trouble securing the rights to this one. I think that this could be bigger over here simply because it is more accesable[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree on both counts. I stated it was very reminiscent of Rose in it's general formula. In fact, this episode could have been called, "Gwen" but perhaps that would be going too far. Perhaps it is better than Rose structurally speaking... emotionally though, I have to give it to Rose as it had the good Doctor and the TARDIS in it and it ushered in the return of Doctor Who on television again... but that aside, yeah, Everything Changes is probably more solid.

I also had the same thing going through my head watching this episode thinking about how this series would play in North America.. I tend to agree that this would be more "sellable" in the States for sure.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 01:04 AM

Content:

Well as you and I seemed to have reasched a concensus then I am off to bed so I can be up early to give an opinion on "Day One."

I have it but I need to work tomorrow too and I am a "morning person" so I will watch before work to set the day up properly.

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 01:10 AM

Content:

Very good. Thanks for the discussion here. I will catch ep. 2 and start another thread on it later, so you will have something to read first thing after seeing it in the morning. Wink

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 03:28 AM
By: mpe

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]
Gwen even had her own version of Mickey, albeit he had less to do here in this story.
[/QUOTE]
I didn't see him having much in common with Mickey, possibly because he is more of a background character there is nothing to instantly dislike about him.

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 05:08 AM
By: old china

Content:

[QUOTE BY= BadWolf] I heard rumour of Captain Scarlet being remade (possibly as a movie) but I have no more details.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Captain Scarlett was re-made (and very well, I have to say) as a CG series a couple of years ago. There's rumours of a second series going ahead too. You should see the original 60's series first though - the puppets strings really add something Wink

Torchwood - hmmmm. I wasn't too impressed. I didn't see a single original idea, I'm afraid. RTD just seems to keep recycling old Sci-fi ideas these days. Captain Jack's immortallity is straight from Captain Scarlett, or even Wolverine (especially the disappearing head shot). As Ken has said before in the podcast, Torchwood being a secret society protecting Earth from aliens has shades of Men In Black. The cells where the aliens are kept was Silence of the Lambs (the Weavil even wore a blue boiler suit, like Hannibal Lector). There are probably more, if anyone else wants to point them out.

He's even re-used ideas from his version of Doctor Who. I won't say too much about episode 2 but the alien in that is certainly an idea we've seen recently.

That said, I did think the cast were very good, especially Gwen.

I don't know if my finding this rather unsatisfying stems from RTD re-using too many ideas from the popular culture of our youth, or that I've just watched too much telly in my time and need to get out more. I don't really mind his doing this in Doctor Who (as most kids won't have seen Aliens and the chase in last seasons the Satan Pit would be new to them) but as Torchwood is very much aimed at adults (if you haven't already seen it, wait for episode 2) I was hoping for some newer ideas that would wow me, not just the same old ones we've all seen before.

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 01:19 PM
By: hdutch007

Content:

meh.
It was okay. It wasn't bad, but if this wasn't Doctor Who related with Captain Jack, I would not be making an effort to catch it every episode.
As for the lack of plot holes BadWolf mentions...come on, this was full of them.
They order pizza under "torchwood" and this never caused them problems?
There is an elevator that takes them to the street, but when the question of a hole in the ground comes up, Jack laughs it off, never adressing it.
what was up with the shot of Captain Jack standing on top of the building? Apart from looking "cool," what was that all about? Is he Batman? Was he searching for evil?
I thought that this show had a serious lack of charm.
I also think that it takes more than a few F words to make a show "adult." This show is NOT what I would consider an equivalent to the X-Files in any way, shape, or form. It's not dark enough, it's not moody enough, and honestly, not well enough written.
I give it 2.5 out of 5 tardis groans, or since this is Torchwood, I give it 2.5 captive weevils out of 5.

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 01:44 PM
By: merlin_mccarley

Content:

Well the hole in the ground (elevator) was addressed, the TARDIS recharge from "Boom Town" left an perception filter that even Jack doesn't understand completly. But my main problem is Owen, please kill the &*^) off. He is the bigest security problem since the outing of Valerie Flame Wilson by Karl Rove and he has less appeal than a Weevil. I know they all (I am sure Jack has more than a few trinkets) took their work home but he so far seems to be the only one who didn't learn a lesson from the golve. Don't give him a season, give his job to Ianto Jones or better yet the club bouncer with the CCTVs Eek! (same problems more appeal). Not sure exactly why this troublemaker is there.

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 02:13 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= BadWolf]
This is obviously a shoe in for the American market especially having an American lead. I think that it is less quirky than Doctor Who (to outsiders)[/QUOTE]
So long as people don't have problems with the Welsh accents Smile

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 02:16 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= old china]
I don't know if my finding this rather unsatisfying stems from RTD re-using too many ideas from the popular culture of our youth, or that I've just watched too much telly in my time and need to get out more. I don't really mind his doing this in Doctor Who (as most kids won't have seen Aliens and the chase in last seasons the Satan Pit would be new to them) but as Torchwood is very much aimed at adults (if you haven't already seen it, wait for episode 2) I was hoping for some newer ideas that would wow me, not just the same old ones we've all seen before.[/QUOTE]Thing is that "adults" covers a much wider range of ages than "kids". How do you ensure that something is equally new to people between 20 and 70?

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 02:32 PM
By: KevinK

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= BadWolf] ..

[/QUOTE]

I posted a warning in the top part of my original posting in this thread... that we are assuming you have seen this episode if you are reading this thread...

Hmm... I suspect it may be some time before we see the Doctor here if at all. RTD seems to be going out of his way to separate this series from DW in the press... but who knows. I suspect it will be towards the end of series one.

I know of the Gerry Anderson series, Captain Scarlet. But unfortunately, I have never seen it yet. I am a fan of Anderson's other series (Thunderbirds, UFO, and Space: 1999) (although I have seen Space Precinct, I wouldn't call myself a fan of it) so I would be interested in catching Captain Scarlet sometime. I know there is or will a new CGI version of it, right?

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

I think The Doctor did make an appearance in episode 2. What do you think that the severed hand was.

Kevin

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 02:53 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= merlin_mccarley] Well the hole in the ground (elevator) was addressed, the TARDIS recharge from "Boom Town" left an awareness filter (I'll watch it again to see the exact description). But my main problem is Owen, please kill the &*^) off. He is the bigest security problem since the outing of Valerie Flame Wilson by Karl Rove and he has less appeal than a Weevil. I know they all (I am sure Jack has more than a few trinkets) took their work home but he so far seems to be the only one who didn't learn a lesson from the golve. Don't give him a season, give his job to Ianto Jones or better yet the club bouncer with the CCTVs Eek! (same problems more appeal). Not sure exactly why this troublemaker is there.[/QUOTE]

No, when I speak of the hole in the ground, I caught the Tardis reference. I am talking about a few moments later when she asks Jack something along the lines of what if someone were to step in that spot when the lift was at the bottom, and he tells her something like "just like a welshman. I show you something wonderful, you find a way to complain."
It seems to me that if someone stepped on that block when the lift was at the bottom, they'd fall. I'm sure this could be explained, but dangit, explain it on the show. You just told me that the Doctor's Tardis created a rift there, now explain the lift to me.
But Anyway...
I guess I just was expecting much more. I mean, after 13 references in Doctor Who series 2, this was built up pretty highly. I'm not sure it could have ever delivered to the hype that die-hard who-fans expected, but I don't think it even came close.
For more of my thoughts, see the episode 2 thread.

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 03:06 PM
By: Abersoch

Content:

I guess you have to treat some things along the same lines as when watching Doctor Who and suspend belief when you know the programme is not going to give you an explanation.

Eg in Doctor Who no-one has a problem with him travelling in time or living in a box that's bigger on the inside than the outside (despite no adequate explanation being given for how either is possible) ...but if he kisses someone, well then that's just beyond the pale.

I think that how the lift works is going to be just another of these little annoyances that we'll just have to live with.

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 03:09 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= KevinK]

I think The Doctor did make an appearance in episode 2. What do you think that the severed hand was.

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I believe he had a hand in that story... but my previous postings on this episode, Everything Changes was made prior to viewing episode 2, Day One.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 23 2006 @ 11:55 PM
By: Linquel

Content:

[QUOTE BY= KevinK]

Kevin[/QUOTE]

The Hand of Bo?

Laughing Out Loud

Posted on: October 24 2006 @ 12:00 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= old china]
Torchwood - hmmmm. I wasn't too impressed. I didn't see a single original idea, I'm afraid. RTD just seems to keep recycling old Sci-fi ideas these days. Captain Jack's immortallity is straight from Captain Scarlett, or even Wolverine (especially the disappearing head shot). As Ken has said before in the podcast, Torchwood being a secret society protecting Earth from aliens has shades of Men In Black. The cells where the aliens are kept was Silence of the Lambs (the Weavil even wore a blue boiler suit, like Hannibal Lector). There are probably more, if anyone else wants to point them out.[/QUOTE]

My favorite recycled bit in the episode? The elevator is apparently protected by a Somebody Else's Problem field.

I haven't actually watched the whole thing yet, just the first 15-20 minutes. I'll hopefully watch them both in the next day or two.

-L

Posted on: October 24 2006 @ 12:48 AM
By: Doctor Whoovie

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Linquel]
I My favorite recycled bit in the episode? The elevator is apparently protected by a Somebody Else's Problem field.

[/QUOTE]

I must admit that I had exactly the same thought ripped straight out of HHGTTG. Overall, quite I liked the whole thing, I give it 3.5 building top straddles out of five.

Posted on: October 24 2006 @ 08:24 AM
By: seanhuxter

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= BadWolf] ..

[/QUOTE]

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

I have both series of Captain Scarlet on DVD, the original 32 puppet episodes, and the two seasons of the latest CGI version, and while Captain Scarlet can't die, and he does use the power often, it never really gets tired.

Also in Heroes, no matter how often Claire ends up mangled, only to self-repair, we'll probably never get tired of it.

It's all in the writing.

I think the Captain Scarlet angle is appropriate considering the love Rose had for Captain Jack when she (and the TARDIS) revived him. She gave him an extra little gift.

I still don't understand, though, how in "Comic Relief", both the Doctor and Rose assumed that Jack was alive and well and helping rebuild the Earth.

First, it was how long in the future? And second, they left before finding out what happened to Jack. We only get to see him in a cut-away shot, being revived. Even Rose/TARDIS didn't necessarily know what happened to him on a conscious level.

So the big question is - how did Jack get to 21st Century Earth from the News Sattelite?

I hope we find out.

And I loved Jacks coat. It's basically a modernization of his WWII coat from "Empty Child/Doctor Dances".

Sean.

Posted on: October 24 2006 @ 08:57 AM
By: daveac

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hdutch007]
It seems to me that if someone stepped on that block when the lift was at the bottom, they'd fall. I'm sure this could be explained, but dangit, explain it on the show. [/QUOTE]

There is a cover over the hole when the lift is at the bottom. Captain Jack opens it before they accend - but that leaves a few seconds with the 'trap' open.

It would have worked better if the lift had rushed towards a closed roof - to be openned just as they reached the top.

They did say in the Declassified piece that this base had been constructed a long time ago hence the old rolling iron door etc.

Here a picture of the trap (that covers the hole) openning.

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: October 24 2006 @ 07:48 PM
By: Magpie

Content:

Maybe I wasn't reading carefully enough - but I can't believe nobody had anything to say about Gwen and The Unquiet dead - anyone for taking a wager about how long before Gwen starts to show some psychic powers?

I enjoyed it - I liked the cast, I even think it's neat to see Burn Gorman minus the greased up Guppy hair from Bleak House. I did feel like the resolution flew together a little too quickly at the end, and I snorfled when they had Jack standing on top of the buildling looking out across Cardiff (ha ha!) but I really did enjoy it. After the luke-warm so-so-ness of Robin Hood I had this sinking feeling that Torchwood was also going to let me down - but it didn't. I'm looking forward to finding out why Jack wound up in the time he's at and seeing any possible supernatural Gwen development come to light.

Posted on: October 24 2006 @ 08:25 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Magpie] After the luke-warm so-so-ness of Robin Hood I had this sinking feeling that Torchwood was also going to let me down - but it didn't. [/QUOTE]

you think Robin Hood is only so-so? I am really enjoying that show. More than Torchwood! but I digress. To each their own. Maybe it has to do with the fact that most boys have a serious Robin Hood phase when they grow up.

Posted on: October 24 2006 @ 08:34 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hdutch007] ... Maybe it has to do with the fact that most boys have a serious Robin Hood phase when they grow up.[/QUOTE]

They steal from the rich, and give to the poor?

I must have missed that phase myself Wink But I had a deprived childhood anyway, but surely I digress. The stealing part, I guess I see that... but as for the rest... Hmm... OK, perhaps I will give you the band of merry men as well. Razz

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 24 2006 @ 10:05 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= hdutch007] ... Maybe it has to do with the fact that most boys have a serious Robin Hood phase when they grow up.[/QUOTE]

They steal from the rich, and give to the poor?

I must have missed that phase myself Wink [/QUOTE]

badump-ching!
Well, by Robin Hood phase, I mean running around in the woods pretending to BE Robin Hood, but for a New York kid, you probably didn't have woods. But there's always Central Park, right?

Posted on: October 24 2006 @ 10:22 PM
By: actorguy

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] But I had a deprived childhood anyway, but surely I digress. The stealing part, I guess I see that... but as for the rest... Hmm... OK, perhaps I will give you the band of merry men as well. Razz [/QUOTE]

That's merry...not f...oh, nevermind. Wink

Pat *liked both eps of Torchwood so far*

Posted on: October 24 2006 @ 11:25 PM
By: Magpie

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hdutch007] [QUOTE BY= Magpie] After the luke-warm so-so-ness of Robin Hood I had this sinking feeling that Torchwood was also going to let me down - but it didn't. [/QUOTE]

you think Robin Hood is only so-so? I am really enjoying that show. More than Torchwood! but I digress. To each their own. Maybe it has to do with the fact that most boys have a serious Robin Hood phase when they grow up.[/QUOTE]

I admit to sticking to Robin Hood mostly for the Richard Armitage factor. I find the whole "finding links to contemporary events" in the dialogue a bit cringey. And talk about corny tag lines - "I think you'll find that's not properly cooked" har har. Eyecandy alone can't carry a tv show - so I vote Torchwood for better autumn BBC fare - so far.

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 07:14 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hdutch007] [QUOTE BY= Magpie] After the luke-warm so-so-ness of Robin Hood I had this sinking feeling that Torchwood was also going to let me down - but it didn't. [/QUOTE]

you think Robin Hood is only so-so? I am really enjoying that show. More than Torchwood! but I digress. To each their own. Maybe it has to do with the fact that most boys have a serious Robin Hood phase when they grow up.[/QUOTE]

Sorry off topic:-

I have to differ with you on Robin Hood - to my mind it's not good, it's not so-so it's very poor.

I gave up half way through the thrid episode so I did give it a chance.

Where to start?

Spoiler space

Robin an Much reach Nottingham in a day.

They meet a busty girl (woman) in modern makeup who looks barely five years younger than her father.

Robin waves his sword around like a 'B' fung fu movie.

His bow isn't a long bow and he reloads in the blink of a eye.

He has no charisma - certainly not a leader on men - looks like an Oasis brother chilling out.

All the political references 'war on terror' 'they are taught to hate their own country an sent to destroy it'

The sherriff saying 'tick,tock' when waiting for information - this is the 12C - no ticking clocks.

The sherriff has a black man in his court giving him advice. Even the film Robin Hood had the Moor as an odd stranger in medieval England.

Robin throws a sword up thirty feet to knock TWO men holding his friend Much.

It appears he will not be allowed to 'kill' anyone.

Will Scarlett is about 14 years old.

The script.

The flashing place names with arrow sound effects when there are only three places - Nottingham, Loxley and the forest.

Anything good? Well I think the actor who plays Guy of Gisbourne (the sherriff's henchman) is a good actor wasted here (he was in the historical drama North & South (UK)) - in fact I think he should have been given the role of Robin.

If Robin Hood had been promoted (and here we are getting slightly back on topic) properly as a children's program - and had got on air say 5pm on Sundays - then as a kid's adventure it would have been OK but by showing it at 7pm and pushing it as being in the same league as Dr Who - it becomes a great disappointment - to this viewer as least.

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 08:39 AM

Content:

Thread Hijack!

well...I like Robin Hood...you guys are mean. Cry

Yeah, he looks like he's from Oasis. I agree. I don't know, I see all the faults you guys point out and like it still. I just connect with it.
also, as I am in the US, I have no idea how the show is promoted in the UK nor what time it comes on. I think I also miss some of the modern references as well.

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 11:48 AM
By: rocko

Content:

And I thought that *I* was the one who liked to go off on tangents in these threads!

.. Anyhow, just watched "Everything Changes" last night, and I'm sad to say I was disappointed. I was glad to see Captain Jack and some dialog about what has happened to him since "Bad Wolf", but things like the whole SEP field generator (or whatever thay called it in the episode) being a combined effect of the TARDIS's chameleon circuit and the time rift (they did not explicitly state that it was from the TARDIS, but come on...), etc, did not sit well with me.

I also cannot see how "Torchwood 3" could possibly be a branch of the same Torchwood operation we saw in Doctor Who, Series 2. Captain Jack seems to have *way* too much freedom to do as he pleases.

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 01:15 PM
By: mad4plaid

Content:

I really enjoyed the episode, watched it on the way to work Monday morning (iPod) and had a few moments where I audibly gasped and my fellow train passengers looked at me like I had the plague ("you broke the silence protocal, you must turn in your rail pass!" attitude).

But I do have issues:
- So Jack's immortal. Could have waited a few eps to drop that bomb. But really, Jack did not seem to happy-go-lucky as I know and love him from 2005. Has the joy been removed from his life? Where was the flirting and double/triple entendres? Bring back my happy jack!

- I've watched the ep twice now and I still cannot figure out how did Gwen know to look up "Captain Jack Harkness." Did one of the cops at the homicide site mention his name when they mentioned "Torchwood?" Did she hear it when she was on the roof?

- and as someone mentioned previously: why does everyone know Torchwood's name? Where's the privacy? If they exist outside of the government/UN why does everyone in Cardiff seem to know about them?

- Owen: what a prick (can I write that word? please edit if necessary). What is he? Like 14?

ALL that being said/written, I am looking forward to next weeks episode!

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 01:16 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= rocko]...
I also cannot see how "Torchwood 3" could possibly be a branch of the same Torchwood operation we saw in Doctor Who, Series 2. Captain Jack seems to have *way* too much freedom to do as he pleases. [/QUOTE]

Valid point. Who does Captain Jack have to answer to in Torchwood? Is there any centralized head to this organisation? It seems like it operates through it's own secret separate cells without any headquarters anywhere. It seems hard to imagine that it has existed all these years like this, but I don't know.

RTD said during the 2006 series of Doctor Who that this Torchwood would be very different from the other. That the new series would be a "different Torchwood." Indeed this is a very different Torchwood than what we saw in Army of Ghosts and Doomsday.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 01:36 PM

Content:

Yeah, this torchwood seems very Lone Gunmanesque. I guess the big money (from whoever is funding them) went to the Torchwood Tower. I can't see (even with our current probs in the US) how a totaly unaccountable agency can operate so openly. Query- Do you think that Cptn. Jack is generating his own funding through new invention patents? He has quite a lot of future tech knoledge. And yes I agree Owen must go. Twisted Evil There are other (better) ways to generate drama than to have a &*%( who will constantly break protocal and behave like a nasty teen jock.

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 01:52 PM

Content:

I started questioning how Torchwood is funded while watching these two episodes. Originally funded by Queen Victoria, I can't see how it has sustained it's funding throughout the years if it is not governed my any government or the UN. Perhaps they are selling bits and pieces of alien technology... Isn't that what Henry van Statten was doing in the DW episode, Dalek (2005)?

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 01:55 PM

Content:

Perhaps (HUGE stretch here) because Torchwood 3 (T3 for short) is located on the rift, it is given more leaway? Or perhaps this is a statement similar to the one from Blon/Margaret in Boomtown: the whole southwest coast could fall into the ocean and no one would notice (paraphrasing here). In other words: its Cardiff, no one in London is going to care. So perhaps its RTDs dig at the non-Welsh opinion of his homeland?

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 03:04 PM

Content:

Huge streach in a diffrent direction. What if the field (for convience a SEP is ok) is more linked with the TARDIS than even Jack thinks? Combine a Einstein-Rosen Bridge with the principals of Hisenburg's uncertainty principle and Schrodinger's Cat and you get a possible answer for how Donna Eek! (the Bride) got into the TARDIS. Like I said a HUGE streatch for Doctor Who but they have to have some reason that she is able to appear through the TARDIS' formidible defenses. If this is even a close guess you bet the Doctor will come back to shut down (de-link) the field to stop a potential rift from happening.

Just a thought. Idea

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 03:20 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= merlin_mccarley] Huge streach in a diffrent direction. What if the field (for convience a SEP is ok) is more linked with the TARDIS than even Jack thinks? Combine a Einstein-Rosen Bridge with the principals of Hisenburg's uncertainty principle and Schrodinger's Cat and you get a possible answer for how Donna Eek! (the Bride) got into the TARDIS. Like I said a HUGE streatch for Doctor Who but they have to have some reason that she is able to appear through the TARDIS' formidible defenses. If this is even a close guess you bet the Doctor will come back to shut down (de-link) the field to stop a potential rift from happening.

Just a thought. Idea [/QUOTE]

Wow... I hadn't thought about that. Yeah... that would explain Donna (Runaway Bride) mysteriously appearing in the TARDIS (funny how big the TARDIS is inside that it would happen to be the console room that she appears in). Good theory there... Perhaps we will find out for sure in about 60 days.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 03:49 PM
By: tarashnat

Content:

Everyone is assuming that she just appeared. But couldn't the bride have just walked in??? The Doctor was distracted at the time!

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 03:59 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= rocko] And I thought that *I* was the one who liked to go off on tangents in these threads!

.. Anyhow, just watched "Everything Changes" last night, and I'm sad to say I was disappointed. I was glad to see Captain Jack and some dialog about what has happened to him since "Bad Wolf", but things like the whole SEP field generator (or whatever thay called it in the episode) being a combined effect of the TARDIS's chameleon circuit and the time rift (they did not explicitly state that it was from the TARDIS, but come on...), etc, did not sit well with me.

I also cannot see how "Torchwood 3" could possibly be a branch of the same Torchwood operation we saw in Doctor Who, Series 2. Captain Jack seems to have *way* too much freedom to do as he pleases. [/QUOTE]

I can see if you watched the first episode on it's own that it would be disappointing - I thinks that's why they showed two episodes back-to-back.

As to Captain Jack having a lot of freedom at Torchwood 3 I took to mean that the main headquarters of Torchwood was distroyed maybe along with most of it's top officials leaving Captain Jack to run his area alomost as a standaload unit.

Cheers, daveac - got to go now to watch again on BBC2

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 04:07 PM

Content:

So, while he found the rift and did some impressive solar engineering then had a heart to heart with Rose, she (Donna) stood there staring at the walls? Confused Common the Doctor wasn't that distracted that he would miss a wedding dress in his TARDIS Rolling Eyes . He wasn't traveling when she appeared and I don't see the Doctor walking past her to the console without at least going Eek! "What, What, What?" a long time before leaving earth. There are bigger things at work here.

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 05:02 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
Everyone is assuming that she just appeared. But couldn't the bride have just walked in??? The Doctor was distracted at the time![/QUOTE]

While orbiting a black hole or whatever it was?

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 05:07 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= tarashnat]
Everyone is assuming that she just appeared. But couldn't the bride have just walked in??? The Doctor was distracted at the time![/QUOTE]

While orbiting a black hole or whatever it was?

[/QUOTE]

Oh wait a moment, do you mean she was already on board the TARDIS but in another room and she just stumbled into the Console Room at the time we see her (and the Doctor sees her)?

So she had to find her way inside the TARDIS while it was Earth sometime (it's there often enough), while the doors were unlocked?

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 06:01 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac]

Cheers, daveac - got to go now to watch again on BBC2[/QUOTE]

Well just watched the two episodes again and it plays better the second time - up from three severed hands to four :-)

EDIT and no on-screen logo (DOG) to spoil it!

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 08:04 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]
- So Jack's immortal. Could have waited a few eps to drop that bomb. But really, Jack did not seem to happy-go-lucky as I know and love him from 2005. Has the joy been removed from his life? Where was the flirting and double/triple entendres? Bring back my happy jack!

- I've watched the ep twice now and I still cannot figure out how did Gwen know to look up "Captain Jack Harkness." Did one of the cops at the homicide site mention his name when they mentioned "Torchwood?" Did she hear it when she was on the roof?

- and as someone mentioned previously: why does everyone know Torchwood's name? Where's the privacy? If they exist outside of the government/UN why does everyone in Cardiff seem to know about them?
[/QUOTE]

- I'm not sure how I feel about Jack being immortal after being brought back by Rose. I guess it's plausible. Does that mean he doesn't age, too? I wonder how much time is supposed to have passed between Parting Ways and him hooking up with Torchwood. I agree that he doesn't seem to be as happy-go-lucky as he was before. He looks a little goofier, too. I think it's his hair.

- I'm pretty sure she hears him identify himself when she was spying from the carpark.

- I don't like how everyone seems to know about Torchwood, too. I get the gag with the pizza place. That was funny. But the way they announce to the police and everyone else who they are is kind of annoying.

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 08:18 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= KevinK]

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I believe he had a hand in that story... but my previous postings on this episode, Everything Changes was made prior to viewing episode 2, Day One.

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Yeah...........mine too

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 08:24 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Magpie] Maybe I wasn't reading carefully enough - but I can't believe nobody had anything to say about Gwen and The Unquiet dead - anyone for taking a wager about how long before Gwen starts to show some psychic powers?

I enjoyed it - I liked the cast, I even think it's neat to see Burn Gorman minus the greased up Guppy hair from Bleak House. I did feel like the resolution flew together a little too quickly at the end, and I snorfled when they had Jack standing on top of the buildling looking out across Cardiff (ha ha!) but I really did enjoy it. After the luke-warm so-so-ness of Robin Hood I had this sinking feeling that Torchwood was also going to let me down - but it didn't. I'm looking forward to finding out why Jack wound up in the time he's at and seeing any possible supernatural Gwen development come to light. [/QUOTE]

You weren't reading carefully enough I'm afraid. Gwen was announced when they announced the series.

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 09:14 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid].

But I do have issues:

[/QUOTE]

Corpse "My name is John who are you?"

CJ "Captain Jack Harkness"

About 5 minutes in when they are interviewing the corpse

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 09:31 PM
By: rocko

Content:

[QUOTE BY= daveac]I can see if you watched the first episode on it's own that it would be disappointing - I thinks that's why they showed two episodes back-to-back.[/QUOTE]

Will watch ep. 2 tonight and post on that thread about my take!

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 10:10 PM

Content:

So is that to be the rating scale for Torchwood? The severed hand scale, or just by how many times we see the severed hand? Laughing Out Loud
Anyway, in Doomsday the Doctor was orbiting a supernova (using its energy output to make the "call" to Rose). And during the conversation we find out that Jackie is 4 months pregnant and the Doctor knows (first hand or his precog.) that Rose was declared dead Cry along with the others that died in Torchwood Tower. How much time has past is of course completely relative. But in my opinion the Doctor has taken some of that time, in real time to seal the rift caused by the Torchwood machinery. Though it's possible she "walked in" while the Doctor was Sealing the Rifts, I believe RTD is going for something a bit more than a Tegan Jovanka entrance. She didn't appear to have had the time to absorb anything about her surrondings, so using her behaviour as a guide, I think she Rolling Eyes "Walked through a Magic Door" and appeared in the TARDIS.

These are my own oppinions and I may stand by them for up to 60 days. Mr. Green (or Torchwood proves me worng)

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 10:13 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= merlin_mccarley] So is that to be the rating scale for Torchwood? The severed scale, or just by how many times we see the severed hand? Laughing Out Loud
[/QUOTE]

I think we each have our own rating system. I am personally using the captive weevil system. As in episode one was 2 and a half captive Weevils out of 5.

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 10:20 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hdutch007] [QUOTE BY= merlin_mccarley] So is that to be the rating scale for Torchwood? The severed scale, or just by how many times we see the severed hand? Laughing Out Loud
[/QUOTE]

I think we each have our own rating system. I am personally using the captive weevil system. As in episode one was 2 and a half captive Weevils out of 5.[/QUOTE]

How about 3 snogs with Gwen out of a possible five Twisted Evil

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 11:31 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hdutch007]
I think we each have our own rating system. I am personally using the captive weevil system. As in episode one was 2 and a half captive Weevils out of 5.[/QUOTE]

"Weevils wobble, but they don't fall down" -- Now I am really dating myself.

Hey, weevils are actually beetles, also known as a snout beetle. I believe they are considered to be pests (in food crops).

Perhaps Torchwood spells the name differently? I don't know.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 25 2006 @ 11:57 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis]
"Weevils wobble, but they don't fall down" -- Now I am really dating myself.

Hey, weevils are actually beetles, also known as a snout beetle. I believe they are considered to be pests (in food crops).

Perhaps Torchwood spells the name differently? I don't know.

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Weebles are alive and well. Two well known weebles have adventures all the time here

Posted on: October 26 2006 @ 12:07 AM
By: tarashnat

Content:

The Weavils have been on Earth for quite some time... Weavil Family Genealogy Twisted Evil Over 200 in the 1930 US Census alone!

They have even formed a band... The Weavils

And a UK Label! BO WEAVIL RECORDINGS (UK)

Weavils date back to at least 1740 and one entered the US in 1752!

Posted on: October 26 2006 @ 12:12 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]

[/QUOTE]

Hmm... the Face of Bo joined up with a Weavil to form their own record label, huh? Perhaps that is the big secret he is waiting to tell the Doctor?

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 26 2006 @ 07:58 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid] Perhaps (HUGE stretch here) because Torchwood 3 (T3 for short) is located on the rift, it is given more leaway? Or perhaps this is a statement similar to the one from Blon/Margaret in Boomtown: the whole southwest coast could fall into the ocean and no one would notice (paraphrasing here). In other words: its Cardiff, no one in London is going to care. So perhaps its RTDs dig at the non-Welsh opinion of his homeland?[/QUOTE]

I'm with Mad on this one. My first impression was that Torchwood Cardiff is more or less left to its own methods and style because... hey, it's Cardiff, not London, New York or some large center that considers itself important. It's Cardiff.

That'd be like putting a Torchwood in St. John's, Newfoundland. It would not likely become so much a para-military organization.

It also reminded me greatly of "The Lone Gunman", a group of very smart people investigating the paranormal using whatever means they desired, as long as they get results.

And the way I see it, this rift hasn't really been much of a problem until now. Enough of one to locate a branch of Torchwood there, but not major enough to get the attention of the main Torchwood branch in London.

I'm guessing that may change as the rift begins to show itself as a serious problem.

Sean.

Posted on: October 26 2006 @ 10:30 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= BadWolf] [QUOTE BY= mad4plaid].

But I do have issues:

[/QUOTE]

Corpse "My name is John who are you?"

CJ "Captain Jack Harkness"

About 5 minutes in when they are interviewing the corpse[/QUOTE]

got it! (which of course leaves me to wonder - again - how did Gwen hear the conversations from so high up? but that is not something I need answered, just something that always occurs to me as I watch shows that use this type of scene set up)

Posted on: October 26 2006 @ 12:41 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]

got it! (which of course leaves me to wonder - again - how did Gwen hear the conversations from so high up? but that is not something I need answered, just something that always occurs to me as I watch shows that use this type of scene set up)[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same exact thing during that scene and any time else the same device is used in television... Either all these television characters have super sonic hearing or a bionic ear... I don't know how they can hear from such distances. Wasn't it also raining too here (perhaps it just finished raining, I don't recall)?

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 26 2006 @ 01:00 PM

Content:

For whatever reason (call it Cool "Dramatic cool") when the glove was used, the rain stoped, they even used a music sting to emphisize the point. "Hey look this glove is something not of this earth!" then when the time was up the rain started back up again.

Posted on: October 26 2006 @ 05:34 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]

got it! (which of course leaves me to wonder - again - how did Gwen hear the conversations from so high up? but that is not something I need answered, just something that always occurs to me as I watch shows that use this type of scene set up)[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same exact thing during that scene and any time else the same device is used in television... Either all these television characters have super sonic hearing or a bionic ear... I don't know how they can hear from such distances. Wasn't it also raining too here (perhaps it just finished raining, I don't recall)?

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

She read it in the script of courseSmile

C'mon guys get with the programme do I have to answer everything for youSmile

Posted on: October 26 2006 @ 05:36 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= tarashnat]

[/QUOTE]

Hmm... the Face of Bo joined up with a Weavil to form their own record label, huh? Perhaps that is the big secret he is waiting to tell the Doctor?

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Nope he's waiting to tell him that he has just recorded Bo DiddlySmile

Posted on: October 26 2006 @ 05:37 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Louis] [QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]

Cheers,
Louis[/QUOTE]

Didn't you see the warning sign? "Objects in the alleyway are closer than they appear".

Posted on: October 26 2006 @ 11:17 PM

Content:

On a second viewing of "Everything Changes" caught the exact description of Torchwood 2

Arrow "Torchwood two is an office in Glasgow, very strange man."

I don't rember if his birthplace was ever specifically named but could it possibly be our favorite Stewart clan member from old. Even if it is never mentioned again ( Rolling Eyes fat chance) it is interesting speculation. The implacation that Torchwood 2 is one man, who else could it be?

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 07:56 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= mad4plaid]
You'll notice that the first thing that happens once the glove begins working is the rain stops.

In an echoy alley, it is very likely she heard every word of their conversation. Everything indicates she did. Even Jack looks up and asks her casually what she thinks, becuase he knows she heard every word.

It's a situation in which she probably could even hear their whispers.

-Sean.

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 08:00 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= merlin_mccarley] On a second viewing of "Everything Changes" caught the exact description of Torchwood 2

I don't rember if his birthplace was ever specifically named but could it possibly be our favorite Stewart clan member from old. Even if it is never mentioned again ( Rolling Eyes fat chance) it is interesting speculation. The implacation that Torchwood 2 is one man, who else could it be?[/QUOTE]

Now that's something that slid by so easily I didn't catch it.

Wow. What's the implication? That a certain Mr. McCrimmon might have somehow slipped forward in time or otherwise had his life extended, and is now in charge of the Glasgow office of Torchwood?

Sean.

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 09:04 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= seanhuxter]
Wow. What's the implication? That a certain Mr. McCrimmon might have somehow slipped forward in time or otherwise had his life extended, and is now in charge of the Glasgow office of Torchwood?

Sean.
[/QUOTE]

It could be a decendent of his - or a decendent of one of the staff from the original Torchwood house.

Cheers, daveac

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 09:30 AM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= seanhuxter] [QUOTE BY= merlin_mccarley] On a second viewing of "Everything Changes" caught the exact description of Torchwood 2

I don't rember if his birthplace was ever specifically named but could it possibly be our favorite Stewart clan member from old. Even if it is never mentioned again ( Rolling Eyes fat chance) it is interesting speculation. The implacation that Torchwood 2 is one man, who else could it be?[/QUOTE]

Now that's something that slid by so easily I didn't catch it.

Sean.
[/QUOTE]

Very intresting, well though Mr. McCrimmon as a possiblity would certinaly be intresting, I was in fact talking about a certain Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart Cool who might be persuaded to come out of retirement to be a consultant for Torchwood. If you recall in The Terror of the Zygons the Brig. appears in a regimental kilt Eek! (much to the amusement of the Doctor and Sara Jane and Harry) He explains that he is a member for the clan Stewart. He certanily has more experience than almost anyone on the planet. Any other speculation as to who the "Very Strange Man" in Glasgo is? I welcome it, I wouldn't have thought of Jamie (too centered on Troughton). Any other strange men in Glasgo Wink ?

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 03:16 PM

Content:

why haven't Ken or James weighed in on these two Torchwood episodes? Louis, do you know if they've seen them?

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 05:13 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= hdutch007] why haven't Ken or James weighed in on these two Torchwood episodes? Louis, do you know if they've seen them?[/QUOTE]

The last I heard from Ken is that he had seen the first one, but not the second one yet... He indicated he would be viewing it soon... that was a day or two ago, so by now he may have seen it. I meant to give him a call earlier today, but haven't had the opportunity.

The last time I spoke with James was pre-Torchwood... as we were recording episode 56 of Doctor Who: Podshock (coming soon) last Sunday. But even James will have to catch a "red eye flight to the UK" to see it since he is currently out of the country.

Hopefully, both of them will be posting their thoughts here soon... if not, then on an upcoming podcast (though not the next one (#56) as it was recorded prior to Torchwood).

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 07:21 PM
By: Mawdryn

Content:

I thought the show got off to a good start. I usually reserve judgement until a few episodes in. A lot of my favorite shows take a few shows to hit their strides. For now I'm entertained but I hope the program continues to improve/evolve.

Regarding the end of the episode, I had one thought and I'll try to be somewhat vague so that I don't give away a spoiler. I'm wondering if RTD ever thought about having Captain Jack and Gwen use the glove on the last person who died in this episode?

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 07:23 PM
By: Abersoch

Content:

[QUOTE BY= seanhuxter] I'm with Mad on this one. My first impression was that Torchwood Cardiff is more or less left to its own methods and style because... hey, it's Cardiff, not London, New York or some large center that considers itself important. It's Cardiff.

That'd be like putting a Torchwood in St. John's, Newfoundland. It would not likely become so much a para-military organization.[/QUOTE]

Torchwood NY. I bet that would ruffle a few feathers if the staff there still practised the old colonial attitude of Yvonne Hartman and went around referring to the locals as "subjects".

(Hmm, maybe Torchwood 4 was based in New York or Boston Confused )

Posted on: October 27 2006 @ 10:16 PM
By: mindless

Content:

[QUOTE BY= tarashnat]

[/QUOTE]

a great label too for those into psychedelic/folk music!

Posted on: June 09 2007 @ 08:09 PM

Content:

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently re-watched this episode. It was the first time viewing it since it was originally on back in October 2006. I have to say, I believe I may have enjoyed it more now compared to then. Perhaps because I have a different set of expectations now than I did before it first premiered.

I am thinking I perhaps should give the whole Series 1 another go now.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted on: June 09 2007 @ 10:27 PM
By: Mawdryn

Content:

Good idea, Louis. After Series Three of Doctor Who ends I may rewatch Torchwood. Now that I know how series one ended, I may enjoy seeing it again. Of course my viewing marathon will be a little shorter due to my deleting a few episodes that I just didn't feel were worth saving.

For me, the show had a lot of ups and downs in terms of episode quality. Maybe it was a combination of high expectations and a production team that was still trying to figure out just what the show was about.

That said, I'm looking forward to it coming back next year. Hopefully, the break will allow the program to build upon its strengths.

Posted on: September 16 2007 @ 04:50 AM
By: Smitty

Content:

Weevils wovvle but they don't fall down.

Anybody who gets that will receive a Thingmaker!

Nice intro but that's all it was, no story to pull us in.

It's intro and re-intro...

I don't want ever see Owen getting randy. Ugh!

-cs™

Posted on: September 16 2007 @ 09:51 AM
By: Satai Styx

Content:

[QUOTE BY= Smitty] Weevils wovvle but they don't fall down.

Anybody who gets that will receive a Thingmaker!

Nice intro but that's all it was, no story to pull us in.

It's intro and re-intro...

I don't want ever see Owen getting randy. Ugh!

-cs™[/QUOTE]

Oh dear - then don't watch the rest of the season, then.

"Weevils wovvle" - ohmigosh, I was just looking at a set of Weebles to guy for my future neice/nephew (coming in January)

The Gallifreyan Embassy - Forum
http://gallifreyanembassy.org/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=8305