The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Guests at Gallifrey 2006
    Guests at Gallifrey 2006
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  New RPG?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    New RPG? Views: 1653
     Monday, October 10 2005 @ 05:16 PM EDT
    So, with the new series coming out, I am pretty interested in a new version of the Doctor Who RPG, at least as a sourcebook for another gamesystem (the ubiqutous d20, perhaps?).

What do other people think? The Star Wars RPG's have done pretty well telling "the stories of the people on the periphery".

But the Doctor is often described as "one of a kind", so perhaps it might be a little more difficult?

I for one would be estatic to have a new Doctor Who RPG, but am I alone!?

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, October 11 2005 @ 08:45 AM EDT
    I'd be interested - I have the original RPG game, but have never played it; I could not find enough people interested in playing to get a group together.

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Wednesday, October 12 2005 @ 10:36 AM EDT
    Well, I play ccgs not rpgs, but it is an interesting thought. Not sure whether the companies currently producing rpgs would create one for Doctor Who.

Alderac currently produces rpgs for Stargate SG-1 and Farscape as well as non-sci fi properties that they have ccg games for, so they might be a candidate for a Doctor Who game, but seems unlikely until the show is broadcast more widely. I think US broadcast would be needed for them to even notice that it might be a doable thing (for any rpg company really). There are a number of rpg game companies in the UK that could certainly produce one, whether any of them are interested will depend on whether they want to get involved with the licensing issues that would be involved in producing a Doctor Who rpg especially since I imagine that the BBC will want to have tight control over anything that would be done for the show.

Admiral Kristine Kochanski G.A.B. Saffron, Moonstone, Burnt Orange Team Leader http://www.gabtraders.com "O brave new world That has such people in't"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 12 2005 @ 12:09 PM EDT
    There were two Doctor Who RPGs. There is the version by FASA, and an RPG called Timelord published by Virgin.

Interesting link: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ianmcdonald/who-rpg/

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, October 18 2005 @ 05:35 PM EDT
    Ah, that link is very cool. I've never seen anything except the FASA game.

Still, I wonder if anyone will pick it up and write something new for official release as a result of the new series being out.

Probably not until the show officially hits the U.S., I'd guess...

I've never gotten a chance to play either, if anyone has, I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether it's something that works w/o the Doctor being involved...

Saturday, November 05 2005 @ 02:21 PM EST
    I'm not sure how that type of licensing works now that "the Beeb" has everything back, though personally, considering the scope of rules and potential settings you would need to cover, you're probably better off sticking with a general system like GURPS--which has a time travel supplement, as well as supplements for just about any historical, fantasy, and futuristic setting you can think up. Any Who-specific rules could be culled from the hundreds of supplemental source materials that have been printed in the last 43 years.

Maybe this would make a neat new thread for this board? I'll wager the fans here could come up with a better set of rules than a game company.

I have played both of the "official" roleplaying games. The FASA version was okay once you ditched their erroneous (or at least largely fabricated) backstory material (gutsy that they at least tried to come up with one though). I think it's worth tracking down on eBay as long as you don't spend more than fifteen bucks or so.

"Timelord" left me kind of longing for something with a bit more meat to it. Their philosphy was pretty loose and assumed you could do everything with three basic rules and a couple of six-sided dice. The rulebook was mostly just character sheets for all the Doctors, monsters, and companions they could list along with the obligatory walkthrough adventure you get with every RPG. Not worth the effort, unless you're a Dr. Who completist like myself.

----- "On the other side of the screen, it all looked so easy..."

Sunday, November 27 2005 @ 12:33 PM EST
    I have a lot of the old FASA books and I must say that they contain some of the best writing I have ever seen as a long time RPer. "The Iytean Menace" and "The Lords of Destiny" were great adventures, by the writing. Sourcebooks for the major villains were well-done too. But that said, I should also say that I really dislike the system for the game. I would agree that a universal system would be better. The Fasa material should be used and converted where need be. Check Ebay.

JoMo http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geek_Test/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 26 2006 @ 04:53 AM EDT
    I am thinking of doing some articles on how to either adapt some of the RPG's currently available, or to create a home brew.

The prime contenders for inclusion are:

d20 Future/Modern (WoC/Hasbro)
    GURPS 4th/3rd edition (Steve Jackson Games)
    EABA (BTRC)
    CORPS (BTRC)
    Timelords [EABA/CORPS] (BTRC)

The reason that the BTRC gets three mentions is that both CORPS and EABA are generic with Vehicle Design rules. I have a lot of GURPS stuff and can be a base for the articles, and d20 Future is the 2000 pound gorilla in RPG. Hell, you can use Paranoia or Macho Women with Guns for Doctor Who, without too much hassels.

I want to also add Freeforms/Live Action RPG as well.

What is your opinion guys?

Darryl

Hold it up to the light, not a brain in sight. The Goon Show , The Scarlet Capsule
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored