The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Could this be the Master's TARDIS?
    Could this be the Master's TARDIS?
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  Doctor Who on Sci-Fi Channel
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Doctor Who on Sci-Fi Channel Views: 4594
     Thursday, January 12 2006 @ 03:35 PM EST
    Hello all!

I just happened to go to the BBC's Doctor Who page and see that it has sold to the Sci-Fi channel and will begin broadcast in March. Also according to the site, the American (and I assume Canadian) release of the series one set will be delayed until July.

Personally, I wish they'd go ahead and release the set! But, the tie-in promotion with the Sci-Fi channel made them decide to delay.

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, January 12 2006 @ 03:46 PM EST
    Holy, friggin' crap, it's true! I got goose bumps in seeing the Tardis materialize on the White House lawn on the little flash intro the BBC put on their site. This is such great news. I am so happy! I can legally watch Doctor Who now! Hurray!

For more info:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/scifi.shtml

Thursday, January 12 2006 @ 04:19 PM EST
    I’m a bit reluctant as I don’t really trust the network, but in anycase, it will be nice to see it go before a wider audience. Now as to the DVD release…call me selfish… but I’d be a bit more cheerful to hear the DVD set was shipping out. Confused

Now you know… somewhere on this continent is a warehouse full of these box sets, just sitting there. I say we hire some bounty hunters to track ‘em down… I want my Doctor WHO! Evil

Thursday, January 12 2006 @ 05:43 PM EST
    Does anyone think that the announcement of the US DVD release date a few weeks back had any effect on a network to buy the series (ie these BBC people are so serious about how good this show is that we're gonna look like morons if the DVDs do well and we didn't show it on a network first) or not? The BBC clearly seem to think it's a huge event judging by the work they've done on that website intro.

Thoughts anyone?

Abersoch

P.S. Hey Louis - imagine how sick James and Ken would have been if the Beeb had announced this a few days earlier and you got to scoop them on your solo show Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 12 2006 @ 06:21 PM EST
    Makes me glad I bought the region 2 version and had it shipped over Big Grin

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Thursday, January 12 2006 @ 06:31 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  WarrenPeace] Makes me glad I bought the region 2 version and had it shipped over Big Grin

I've gotten both region 2 versions... Big Grin

I'm surprised that it is airing in Stargate Atlantis' time slot after the current crop of new episodes. I wonder what the rest of the Friday lineup will be then???

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, January 12 2006 @ 09:09 PM EST
    I can't wait! Stargate Atlantis will probably be in reruns by that time. Still, what a great night of SciFi again!

About time SciFi channel lived up to their name : )

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 12 2006 @ 10:08 PM EST
    This is fantastic news! After many a year, the Sci-Fi channel is finally getting its act together. (If only they could do away with "Sci-Fi Original" movies and concentrate on kick-ass miniseries instead.)

I just wish I didn't have to wait until July 4th for my DVD. Oh well- Canada's release date is still the same (according to Slashdot)

Hurrah!

Cyn

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 01:36 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Cynful456] ...
    I just wish I didn't have to wait until July 4th for my DVD. Oh well- Canada's release date is still the same (according to Slashdot)

Really? Is that so. Hmm.... Amazon.ca here I come... Eww... Still no listing on the Canada Amazon store... sigh. But I will keep on checking.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 02:07 AM EST
    It's going to be sort of weird... Just as the BBC will start airing the 2006 series of Doctor Who (presumably in March if it follows suit from last year), the Sci-Fi Channel will be debuting the 2005 series.

Too bad the Sci-Fi Channel isn't showing the 2005 series starting this month in January and then in March pick up the new series synchronizing with the BBC transmissions... But even if the series is successful on the Sci-Fi Channel, they tend to like to stretch things out... Just like what they did with Farscape and breaking up season 2 of Battlestar Galactica into two...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 02:54 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis] It's going to be sort of weird... Just as the BBC will start airing the 2006 series of Doctor Who (presumably in March if it follows suit from last year), the Sci-Fi Channel will be debuting the 2005 series.

Yeah. Over here in the UK we get the similar-but-opposite problem. Double-complicated by US Imports often being shown on a Satellite/Cable/Digital channel first and then finally trickling down at a non-subscriber level many months later still.

I know it breaks the current business models, but it's long overdue that the entire entertainment industry released things simultaneously as the rule rather than the exception. 'Cos if they don't, people will (and do) simply download stuff because people want to see a Year-X show in Year-X not Year-X+1.

And although the Industry would say "Wait", what they don't realise it that ti's hard when you spend a lot of time on the Internet. Double-especially if you're a Brit. It's hard to avoid Spoilers when you frequent most websites. Especially for we non-Americans who frequent a lot of American-based sites.

Rant-aside, though, it's great news that the new Doctor Who finally makes it Stateside.

Tiggs

Tiggs Panther - Learning the hard way that a working chameleon circuit is not useful in a crowded parking lot.

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 04:23 AM EST
    Ha ha! I saw the news on bbc.co.uk and raced here!

Great stuff - hopefully it will reach people now who didn't even know there wa sa new Doctor Who series - hopefully we'll see a new generation of US fans now too. I bet the forum memberships and the Podcast subscription count goes up when it is screened!

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 07:50 AM EST
    WOW!!!!

It's like my birthday and Christmas all rolled into one week!!! FIrst a new hockey team for my town and now this!!!!!

WOW!!!!

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 09:01 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] Does anyone think that the announcement of the US DVD release date a few weeks back had any effect on a network to buy the series (ie these BBC people are so serious about how good this show is that we're gonna look like morons if the DVDs do well and we didn't show it on a network first) or not? The BBC clearly seem to think it's a huge event judging by the work they've done on that website intro.

If anything, announcement of the DVD set would have hindered a developing deal by the Science Fiction Channel.

Knowing a little bit about IP licensing (I work in computer games) I can make a guess that the Science Fiction Channel pulled back a bit when the DVD release for February was announced. I'd guess that it almost spoiled the deal.

Pulling the DVD release back would likely have caused the SF Channel to be satisfied, but not fully happy. It may have destroyed the deal completely.

As it is, I think the SF channel would hope for the DVD not to be released until they're done running the first series, sometime in the coming summer/fall.

I echo many of the comments here, especially Louis's which opines that the SF channel should be showing Series One now, so that in March they can air the Series Two episodes in sync with the new UK airings.

Yes, this will be an overall positive thing - whole new audiences will be reached that didn't even know there was a new Doctor Who series, not to mention those who have no frikkin' idea what we're talking about. They will be the most delighted, I think.

But it doesn't help us, does it? I'll still be haunting the torrent sites an hour after the show has aired, and 12-18 hours later, I'll get to see the new shows.

But I sure will be watching the reruns on SFC, and I hope my ratings count in convincing them to be even more active in showing NEW episodes when they air, not a year later.

Sean.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 09:43 AM EST
    Wow, they actually found a couple of Sci Fi execs with some brain cells that work Eek!

I am very happy it is finally going to be shown here and on the proper channel for it. Time to broadcast it loud and make sure everyone knows it will be here Big Grin

I would love to see them show the new season as quickly as possible too, but I doubt they will. I will just be happy if we can get to see the Christmas Invasion, since I still haven't seen it Cry

Admiral Kristine Kochanski G.A.B. Saffron, Moonstone, Burnt Orange Team Leader http://www.gabtraders.com "O brave new world That has such people in't"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored