The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Auction
    Auction
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  Will this Change America?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Will this Change America? Views: 1332
     Friday, January 13 2006 @ 05:06 AM EST

Now that the new Doctor Who series will be shown on the Sci-Fi Channel, how might this change American pop culture?

What if it catches on?

Will I still get the same blank looks if I utter "TARDIS" in the general public? Will American companies start licensing Doctor Who products? Toys, models, etc marketed directly in the US?

People will begin to understand my fascination with British Police Call Boxes?

Will something be lost? It's kind of cool to be into something that the general public has no clue about... Will this change now?

Sure there will be more new fans in the US... more will attend conventions with DW guests... perhaps we may get more conventions. We will probably get more fan created web sites, podcasts, etc...

It is the Sci-Fi Channel -- so at least it won't be too mainstream. There may not be any references to it in the late night comedy antics of David Letterman or Jay Leno... but still, it sure to be more well known in the States than ever before. Even when it was shown on PBS stations way back when, it was only a minority of Americans that would ever tune into anything on PBS (and at the time, it may meant using UHF because they may not had a PBS channel on their cable service)...

The BBC reported last year that they will consider doing a feature film of Doctor Who depending on how well the new series does in the US... well, what if it does well? Will we see the Doctor on the big screen again? Will it be David Tennant?

Things may be changing a bit here in the States in the coming months. We can only wait and see what happens...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 05:49 AM EST
    Very interesting points Louis.

It goes without saying that by the time the series has finished its run in the US that there will be more US Doctor Who fans (both revived fans and new fans) - but to what extent? It certainly will be interesting to see.

I agree though about liking something that most other people don't know about - it almost feels like you're in an exclusive club or something!

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 07:16 AM EST
    Well, for my part, I've already started telling my non-Doctor Who friends to check out the new show when it comes out. The Sci-Fi network has had some great shows in the last few years: Farscape (how I miss that!), Stargate, Stargate Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica. I only really watched Farscape and now Battlestar, but with Doctor Who coming onboard, I think it has the chance to do really well here. But just like things like "The Blair Witch Project" movie took off because of word of mouth, I think it's important that we fans step up and start telling our friends and family and coworkers: Hey, check this new show out.

There's some really good episodes in the first season and I think sci-fi fans will like it.

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 09:56 AM EST
    I am betting the show will be very big among Sci Fi channel watchers. It will be good to see DW get the props it deserves and perhaps it will get people interested in watching the old shows, too (and maybe Sci Fi channel can be coaxed into showing them).

Don't know how mainstream it will become, Sci Fi channel still only gets the attention of Sci Fi fans for the most part. But less blank looks from people will be nice Wink

Don't know about US companies licensing Doctor Who products. It would really need to get some major numbers and attention for any US company to sit up and take notice and want to license things. Farscape had precious little in the way of licenses and that got major attention (well major attention for a Sci Fi Channel show). BSG has barely gotten anything too, a ccg is in production for it and dvds, but little else.

Besides, I think the Beeb will probably still want a lot of control and with licenses already out there I don't know if they would want to cause problems with their current licensees.

It should be interesting to see what happens.

Admiral Kristine Kochanski G.A.B. Saffron, Moonstone, Burnt Orange Team Leader http://www.gabtraders.com "O brave new world That has such people in't"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 01:55 PM EST
    Yep, the doors on our little world are about to be blown wide open! Ready-or-not… here they come.
    The more I think about it, the more it dawns on me the wide exposure the show is about to have… And I’d be lying if I didn’t say I had some reservations.

I was a bit Tolkien fan, but when they made those movies (movies I always dreamed of being made), it felt a bit weird going into Target and seeing Gimli and Legolas beach towels for sale. Kind of like someone taking something I cherished and, well, I don’t know – it didn’t feel like it was my private “thing” anymore…

Will it be a hit? Well, when I was living in Japan and was told the Power Rangers were going to be shown in the US first thing I thought, “American kids will never buy into them,” Well, they really BOUGHT into them alright (no, I’m not a PR fan, just making a point). Same goes with Harry Potter, I never thought that would catch on in the states. So, will we have another Power Rangers/Harry Potter import bonanza on our hands? ,and are any of us old-time Who fans ready for it? Well, it will be sure fun to find out. Here’s to the future! Now when we start seeing Billie and Chris Eccleston beach towels sold at Target, slap me, because I know I’ve been transported to another universe.

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 03:22 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DSCFord] Now when we start seeing Billie and Chris Eccleston beach towels sold at Target, slap me, because I know I’ve been transported to another universe.

Forget the towels, those are Hitchhikers merchandise—every store carries those. Give us our r/c Daleks!!! Twisted Evil

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 03:39 PM EST
    The real question isn't if Doctor Who will change America but rather will America change Doctor Who?

Let's hope we don't repeat the sins of the past this time...

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 04:38 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  WarrenPeace] The real question isn't if Doctor Who will change America but rather will America change Doctor Who?

America tried. It failed (well not really, but... ). No second chances! That's that kind of man he is!

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 09:58 PM EST

Let's hope so... I don't want to see any American versions.... They already did it once with Russell T Davies by making an American version of his original Queer as Folk series. The American version (which played on Showtime) was just a shadowy reflection of the original...

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, January 14 2006 @ 05:28 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis] Will something be lost? It's kind of cool to be into something that the general public has no clue about... Will this change now?

I was thinking the same thing. Who is a lot more popular in the States than most people realize. Granted, it's not mainstream, but I've run into a lot of fans over the years in unexpected places.

Honestly, I don't think this is going to make a difference for Who here in the long run. I just can't imagine millions of office workers gathering around the water cooler on Monday and chewing the fat over the Gelth or the Anne Droid. I think the majority of people who are going to watch are the people who are already enough of a Who/Sci-Fi fan to know of the series and want to see it, and the average American is going to think it's just another TV show.

The people who feel that Tom Baker is the Doctor (that's the attitude of many folks here) may give it a chance, but, ultimately, won't be any more impressed with Eccleton's portrayal as they were with Davison's. I hope I'm wrong, but since this isn't on one of the major US networks, I doubt many people other than sci-fi buffs will get into it.

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain

Saturday, January 14 2006 @ 06:11 PM EST
    I would be very surprised if it got a very mainstream following. I think a lot of sci fi fans will get into the show who were not into Doctor Who before, so I don't know that the person portraying the Doctor will matter much. I do think Eccleston is a great Doctor and the show will appeal to a wide sci fi audience here. Certainly the time slot is one that should bring in lots of viewers. I am looking forward to seeing the response here.

I have already started alerting people about the show Wink making sure sci fi fans know it is worth watching Big Grin

Admiral Kristine Kochanski G.A.B. Saffron, Moonstone, Burnt Orange Team Leader http://www.gabtraders.com "O brave new world That has such people in't"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 14 2006 @ 10:19 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  K Kochanski] ...

Don't know how mainstream it will become, Sci Fi channel still only gets the attention of Sci Fi fans for the most part. But less blank looks from people will be nice Wink

Don't know about US companies licensing Doctor Who products. It would really need to get some major numbers and attention for any US company to sit up and take notice and want to license things. Farscape had precious little in the way of licenses and that got major attention (well major attention for a Sci Fi Channel show). BSG has barely gotten anything too, a ccg is in production for it and dvds, but little else.

I think Battlestar Galactica and Farscape are fair comparisons. Both probably the best original programming that the Sci-Fi Channel ever had... and both had/have large audiences... especially BSG today... So even if Doctor Who becomes as popular as these two series on the Sci-Fi Channel I don't think it will alter American pop culture any more than than these two have done...

It would be interesting to test mainstream America by polling them and asking if they know what a Cylon is... perhaps that is a bad example because many will know them from the original 1978 series which ran on network television... so perhaps that is a bad example.

Anyway, my point was just to try to determine what effect the new BSG has had on mainstream America... because unless I am wrong, I suspect the best DW can hope for is similar viewing numbers to that of BSG... I doubt it can surpass it.

As previously indicated, this is the Sci-Fi Channel, not a major network with terrestrial broadcasts such as CBS, NBC, ABC, etc... You have to have either cable or satellite and probably an interest in science fiction to be tuning into the Sci-Fi Channel.

Still, it is going to be an interesting time nonetheless this spring. New episodes will be on the BBC and last year's new episodes will be on the Sci-Fi Channel in the US.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, January 15 2006 @ 11:14 PM EST
    Good Lord, if Who becomes mainstream, then what can I fall back on? Seriously, following obscure sci-fi (at least it is in the US) such as Doctor Who gives me some street cred amongst sci-fi buffs and gamers- I mean, anyone can watch Star Trek...

Actually, it would be fun to talk with others about Doctor Who in real life. And if Doctor Who does hit it big here, I feel very confident that Russell and Co. will keep it safe. (A very small part of me still refuses to see the 1996 movie as canon.)

Cyn

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed