The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Dapol TARDIS playset in box
    Dapol TARDIS playset in box
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  My Big Finish rating omnibus
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    My Big Finish rating omnibus Views: 6815
     Monday, July 30 2007 @ 11:50 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    He's in there... Wink just above.

Hey, you're right... I missed that at first. Funny how both Doctor Whoovie and myself envisioned Ken as the wookiee here.

Cheers,
    Louis

Well, he either has to be a Wookie or a Princess. And I might meet him someday, so the Wookie seemed the safer bet. Smile Though I guess Princesses don't rip the arms from people's sockets.

Well it is somewhat fitting when his hair is long. Here is Kenbacca with Tom Baker Arrow here. Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, July 30 2007 @ 02:51 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]
    He's in there... Wink just above.

Hey, you're right... I missed that at first. Funny how both Doctor Whoovie and myself envisioned Ken as the wookiee here.

Cheers,
    Louis

Well Princesses have long hair too, they tie it up in side buns.

Well, he either has to be a Wookie or a Princess. And I might meet him someday, so the Wookie seemed the safer bet. Smile Though I guess Princesses don't rip the arms from people's sockets.

Well it is somewhat fitting when his hair is long. Here is Kenbacca with Tom Baker Arrow here. Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 07 2008 @ 09:03 PM EST
    It's been 6 1/2 months since this thread started and I still go back to it weekly. I just wanted to thank tarashnat for going through all of this trouble to rate each CD and everyone else for chiming in on the subject. It's been a great and a joy to read.

Tuesday, January 08 2008 @ 04:23 AM EST
    [Quote 
    Doctor Who Unbound 1. Auld Mortality ( Geoffrey Bayldon as the Doctor with Carole Ann Ford as Susan) ----- 8/10
    Doctor Who Unbound 2. Sympathy for the Devil ( David Warner as the Doctor with Nicholas Courtney as the Brigadier) ----- 7/10
    Doctor Who Unbound 3. Full Fathom Five ( David Collings as the Doctor with Ed Bishop as General Flint) ----- 7/10
    Doctor Who Unbound 4. He Jests at Scars... ( Michael Jayston as the Valeyard with Bonnie Langford as Mel) ----- 7/10
    Doctor Who Unbound 5. Deadline ( Sir Derek Jacobi as the Doctor?) ----- 6/10
    Doctor Who Unbound 6. Exile ( Arabella Weir as the Doctor) ----- 5/10
    Doctor Who Unbound 7. A Storm of Angels ( Geoffrey Bayldon as the Doctor with Carole Ann Ford as Susan) ----- 9/10

I think I'm the only one that didn't like Full Fathom Five (5/10). Exile I really liked as a Farch/comedy (7.5/10)

And Deadline was just plain weird. Figured I just say that.

I LOVE sympathy for the devil its the most acessable unbound and has a really good go at fixing unit dating... ok it doesnt do that (no one can) but its still my fave

EDIT: removed extra QUOTE tag—Taras

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Tuesday, January 08 2008 @ 03:46 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Fairport] It's been 6 1/2 months since this thread started and I still go back to it weekly. I just wanted to thank tarashnat for going through all of this trouble to rate each CD and everyone else for chiming in on the subject. It's been a great and a joy to read.

You're welcome. I've updated the list to cover those audios that I've listened to as of mid-November.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, January 08 2008 @ 05:52 PM EST
    I think the latest round of Companion Chronicles have been as good as the last lot, and I can't wait for the new 8th Doctor series to start arriving. I didnt like Lucie at first but she grew on me. McGann is just so cool. Colin Baker is my favourite BF Doctor, but McGann challenges that at times.

I've still not heard any of the Unbounds (I don't actually own them). I should sort that. Big Finish's Xmas sale is currently on and I was thinking about getting them (along with Gallifrey - the only other BF Doctor related series' I've not got) but I just havent got the money right now and won't have til after the sale has ended.

If anyone ever fancied the Tomorrow People audio dramas but didnt get round to it, you've missed the boat. They withdrew the range yesterday.

Incidentally - did anyone notice when their web address changed? They're no longer DoctorWho.co.uk, but simply BigFinish.com.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 08 2008 @ 09:25 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tin Dog Podcast]
    I LOVE sympathy for the devil its the most acessable unbound and has a really good go at fixing unit dating... ok it doesnt do that (no one can) but its still my fave

I also thought Sympathy For The Devil was a wonderful listen. The way David Warner plays the part is a wonderful of change of pace. And it's nice to hear Tennant play against type.

Tuesday, January 08 2008 @ 09:29 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Fairport] It's been 6 1/2 months since this thread started and I still go back to it weekly. I just wanted to thank tarashnat for going through all of this trouble to rate each CD and everyone else for chiming in on the subject. It's been a great and a joy to read.

You're welcome. I've updated the list to cover those audios that I've listened to as of mid-November.

Taras

It's fantastic. Thank you so much. Like you, I also thought Frozen Time, Son of the Dragon and 100 have been top tier audio adeventures.

Tuesday, January 08 2008 @ 09:35 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] I think the latest round of Companion Chronicles have been as good as the last lot

I personally think Frazer Hines knocked one out of the park with Helicon Prime. I can't say it was the best storyline I've ever heard, but Hines turns in a performance that is simply extraordinary. He is able to portray Jamie and the 2nd Doctor with considerable ease. There were times when I honestly thought I was listening to Patrick Troughton. Remarkable.

Wednesday, January 09 2008 @ 05:01 AM EST
    I liked the girl who never was...

oh can we discuss spoilers here?

Wednesday, January 09 2008 @ 05:02 AM EST

If anyone ever fancied the Tomorrow People audio dramas but didnt get round to it, you've missed the boat. They withdrew the range yesterday.

ah but its the same price on play.com

Wednesday, January 09 2008 @ 04:17 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tin Dog Podcast]

ah but its the same price on play.com

Yeah, although until only a couple of days ago Big Finish themselves were selling all 5 series for £90.

& once Play have sold out of current stocks, they're gone.

They must've had a real fall-out. To not renew a contract isn't a big deal, but to have to pull what you've already licensed, recorded & released is unusual.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, March 06 2008 @ 06:25 PM EST

A little catching up, I finally listened to a few of the most recent releases recently. I really liked the last two monthly releases in the main Doctor Who line: 104. The Bride of Peladon and 105. The Condemned. The former was helped a bit by nostalgia and also as a wrapping up of the Erimem arc we had developed in 99. Son of the Dragon and 102. The Mind's Eye. After Bride, I may need to reevaluate The Mind's Eye, as we definately see the direction Erimem is heading in.

I liked The Condemned for a number of reasons. The first is how Charlie deals with a different Doctor. In a first, we see a companion encounter an earlier Doctor without the presence of their "current" Doctor. I like how the Doctor is suspicious of his new travelling companion. Another reason is we have a very interesting sci-fi concept wrapped around a modern detective drama. Contrary to the CD Extras, we have had a TARDIS crew member accused of murder when appearing in a locked room with the murder victim (Ian in The Key's of Marinus), but it does get the story started quickly. The setting did seem a bit too Men In Black for my tastes, though.

On to the Eighth Doctor stories. I felt that both 2.1 Dead London and 2.2 Max Warp were OK, but they haven't lived up to the promise of the end of last year's series, and have yet to address (as far as I can tell) the loose ends from that series. I may have enjoyed Max Warp more, if I didn't think of the parallels to The Leisure Hive and Timelash while listening to it.

The Catalyst (Companion Chronicles) brought back some nostalgia for the Tom Baker era, while I felt that The Wake (Bernice Summerfield) was a bit of a let down as a series finale.

cross post from DWNY

Thursday, March 06 2008 @ 06:54 PM EST
    I thought The Catalyst had a wonderfully eerie setting and backdrop, but it had 2 things wrong with it; the ending (!), and Louise Jameson's awful attempt at playing the 4th Doctor! She was woeful (although in fairness, in the extras she herself said it was something with which she really struggled).

I'm way behind on the regular monthly series now. There were a couple of people who mentioned how good the Peladon story was at Invasion last week so I'm hoping to get round to it soon.

I was actually going to listen to Dead London on a train to Northampton on way to a meeting a couple of weeks ago - but on the morning in question, Darth Skeptical postively kicked the s**t out of it! So I didnt bother and went for a Judge Dredd instead. I'll listen to it soon however. Even when the stories arent so good McGann can almost still make them worthwhile.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, March 06 2008 @ 07:40 PM EST

Dead London has actually got a cool idea, and it is a decent story. I just think that our expectations for this series are a bit too high at this point. Then again, last series started out with Blood of the Daleks, which is about the same league as this and Max Warp.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored