The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Ken staffs the Embassy table (1986)
    Ken staffs the Embassy table (1986)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  Gallifrey 2008 Updates
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Gallifrey 2008 Updates Views: 3264
     Saturday, February 16 2008 @ 01:48 PM EST
    It was a blast meeting Louis and Ken yesterday. You couldn't meet two nicer chaps. Within less than a minute, it was like hanging out with two friends you had known for years. I do wonder if Ken will be able to eventually talk Louis into eating at the steakhouse before it's all said and done Cool

Here's a taste of my Friday:

"Celebration" BBC Documentary on The Five Doctors -- Easily the best documentary on a single Doctor Who story I've ever seen. It was both funny and insightful, although I must say poor Pertwee came off as looking like a primadonna (maybe he was...who knows). Just about everybody took a humorous swipe at him.

"The Care and Feeding of a Doctor Who Fan" -- A discussion regarding fandom with Cornell, Moffat, Michael Doran and others. This was both a highlight and minor disappointment. Although the discussion was lively, nobody past the 5th row could hear a word of it over the air conditioning system. Nobody had the nerve (inlcuding me) to stand up and tell the panel to speak up. Nevertheless, it was a fascinating topic and I even got to shoehorn in a question about the possibility of another multi-doctor story. I just wish I could have heard more of the panel's answers.

"McCoy & Aldred Interview" - It was wonderful to see the Doctor and Ace on stage together although they both still seemed to be understandably suffering from jet lag. As wonderfully juvenile as ever, Sylvester used every opportunity to drop a double entendre. And needless to say, Sophie was as radiant as ever. If there was any downside it would have to be Gary Russell's line of questioning. I could tell Sylvester and Sophie were still a little too tired to handle an opening question like "if you could invite any three people from history to attend your dinner party, who would they be?". Russell should have opted to toss them a few softball questions first. And when he decided to fill up more precious time with questions like "favorite book from childhood?" and "do you still hold onto any toys from your youth?", it was time to sneak out and find a seat at....

"Whither RTD" - Analyzing the contribution and vision of Russell T. Davies to Doctor Who universe. Our fearless leaders Louis Trapani and Ken Deep played a major part of the panel. This discussion was my first visual glimpse of real "rabid" Doctor Who fans...and this was just the audience. Once the discussion reached the topic of Doctor Who and religion, one couldn't help but wish the panel could have continued on for a second hour.

"Big Finish: A Year in Review" - This wound up being a small panel with Trey Korte and Jarrod Cooper. With about only 20 people in the attendance, just about everyone got a lengthy say in the discussion. Even I got an opportunity to steer the conversation regarding Big Finish's new download service. It was nice to hear that other people have also been enjoying the Companion Chronicles and believe David Tennant will eventually do 10th Doctor audio adventures (as long as the BBC allows both parties to do so).

...and this was just Friday! I'll try and write about Saturday's adventures soon. So tune and hear about arguing the merits of "too much Doctor Who", literally bowing to the greatness of Steven Moffat, and shaking hands with a surprise guest to this year's Gallifrey.

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, February 16 2008 @ 04:07 PM EST
    Pauls Primeval was just on here. IT was VERY good!

and im here julious of you

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 02:18 AM EST
    Just had drinks and potato skins with Louis and Ken. Talk about a fantastic night! It's great making new "old friends".

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 02:35 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Fairport] Just had drinks and potato skins with Louis and Ken. Talk about a fantastic night! It's great making new "old friends".

Fairport, the feeling is very much mutual! I feel like I have known you for years even though we only met in person a day or so ago.

Everyone has been very gracious and welcoming. Thanks so much.

I can't believe how quickly today flew by. My only complaint would be that there is so much happening, so many things to do, that it is hard to do them all.

Gallifrey 2008 broke all attendance records so far, and there is still another day to go (which will bring in new registrations).

Everyone, start making plans for Gallifrey 2009 if you couldn't make it this year.

Once again, we met up with many listeners... too many to list here (some were quite surprising to discover that they are a listener of the podcast), but I need to make a special shout out to Josh for his extreme generosity and enthusiasm.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 02:45 AM EST

Yesterday, we met up with Tom Powers, one of the authors of The Greatest Show in the Galaxy - A Discerning Guide to Doctor Who whom which we interviewed in episode 100 of our podcast. Great guy. It turns out he was also at Whoevent in King Of Prusia, way back in the mid-80s. He recounted a question he asked Anthony Ainely, and I remember him asking that question at the event.

In a certain sense it did feel like a reunion of the old Spirit of Light conventions from back in the day.

Good people, good show.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 07:10 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] Have you seen any weridos dressed in Doctor Who gear, yet? Wink

Yes! Everytime they look in the mirror Rolling Eyes

Just joking! Oops!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 04:01 AM EST

It's over... Cry

But it was fun while it lasted.

I just conducted an after convention interview with Rob Sherman, he is a delight.

Special thanks to everyone at Gallifrey 2008... guests, organizers, attendees alike for such a warm heartfelt welcome.

I am keeping this post short as I need to get ready and get some shut-eye (hopefully) before my early morning flight back to NY.

Once again, for everyone we met, and you all know who you are, thank you so much.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 04:04 AM EST
    And now you need a break to get over your break.

have a nice relaxing bath.

and I look forward to hearing all about it...

the weekend.. not the bath obviously

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 10:09 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Fairport] "Big Finish: A Year in Review" - This wound up being a small panel with Trey Korte and Jarrod Cooper. With about only 20 people in the attendance, just about everyone got a lengthy say in the discussion.

Given that Big Finish were one of the major players in the keeping The Doctor going stakes for such a long time, I'm surprised by that small number. And disappointed for them if honest. If I'd been there I can imagine such a chat would've been right up my street.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 01:56 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]
    [Quote  by:  Fairport] "Big Finish: A Year in Review" - This wound up being a small panel with Trey Korte and Jarrod Cooper. With about only 20 people in the attendance, just about everyone got a lengthy say in the discussion.

Given that Big Finish were one of the major players in the keeping The Doctor going stakes for such a long time, I'm surprised by that small number. And disappointed for them if honest. If I'd been there I can imagine such a chat would've been right up my street.

Problem was the Sunday afternon slot. I had to leave to catch my flight home, so couldn't stay.

I heard from someone that the shows revival hasn't done them much good. In fact when the show is airing their sales actually dip, rising only after the TV season stops broadcasting.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 01:58 PM EST
    The Benny Summerfield audio panel with Big Finish had at least 50 attendees, so I think it must have been people leaving or another event elsewhere.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 03:48 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]

Well, that panel was on a Friday and I hear Friday panels do tend to get the smallest audiences, but the Big Finish Preview presentation on Sunday afternoon had many attendees. Jason Haigh-Ellery was there to talk about the future of Big Finish and field any questions. It was great to hear that David Warner was coming back for another Unbound, but very sad to hear that the entire Unbound series will probably end with only one or two more releases.

Sadly, I missed a huge chunk of that hour because my sister and I were in the hallway chatting it up with Steve Roberts (from the Doctor Who Restoration team) and Sophie Aldred. What really knocked me over this weekend was seeing just how close these people are who work in the Doctor Who Universe. Everybody was amazingly nice. You can't help but make good friends at Gallifrey. If I hadn't felt under-the-weather on Sunday night and accidentally took a 4 hour nap (it was only meant to be 30 minutes), I can guarantee that I would have made even more new compatriots. Then again, you can't meet better people than Louis and Ken. Those guys are the best!

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 03:56 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]
    I heard from someone that the shows revival hasn't done them much good. In fact when the show is airing their sales actually dip, rising only after the TV season stops broadcasting.

It was mentioned towards the end of the presentation that once the new tv series started, their sales dropped considerably. They were no longer the "only game in town". Nevertheless, I think Big Finish is beginning to breathe a sigh of relief thanks to their new download service. He said that 40% of all downloads are coming from America. Their biggest problem in America for years was the fact they could never offer the CDs for an affordable price and it had only gotten worse with the drop in the U.S. dollar.

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 08:31 PM EST
    Now posting from yet another hotel, in another city: not-so-sunny-right-now San Diego.

Had a great time this weekend. Even though the convention is small (but with a record attendance this year of just over 1000), I really loved it: the size allows you to chat with everybody, and you really have the time to do so, rather than constantly worrying about the next event you need to rush off to.

We'll have to wait and see if I can make it back next year (I'm also keeping Chicago TARDIS in mind), but I'd really like to if I get the chance. Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 10:47 PM EST
    Here's a rundown of my Saturday:

“Sophie Aldred Interview” – It was such a rare treat to watch the legendary Aldred in action. I do believe this may have been the only event she was on time for during the entire weekend, but I can’t blame her. She still had two boys and a husband to look after…and there was that elusive hair dryer she couldn’t find during the first half of the weekend. She talked at length about how she got her role in Doctor Who. The most interesting part was probably her retelling of the water tank incident.

Just to give you an idea of just how much programming Gallifrey offers at any given hour, as I was listening to Sophie, Steven Moffat was giving a hysterical (so I’m told) commentary for “Blink”. It was almost impossible to decide between the two events.

“Is There Such a Thing as Too Much Doctor Who?” – A fantastic writers panel tackled that very question. Are there too many spin-offs? Is Big Finish flooding the market? Are Doctor Who books stacked up against your wall? I’m so happy to have sneaked up to the second row of this panel because there were once again no microphones in the “Malcassairo” room. This panel was an absolute dream. You had Gary Russell, Andy Lane, Steven Moffat, Rob Shearman, Mark Ayres, David J. Howe, and Simon Guerrier trading barbs and ideas. Remarks like “there’s nothing wrong with scaring children” and “Sally Sparrow Takes a Shower would make for a good spin off series” will not be forgotten anytime soon.

“20 Years of Mystery Science Theater 3000” – So why did I decide to see this panel when there was Paul Cornell (one of my all-time favorite writers) and wife Caroline Symcox giving an amazing commentary on “Human Nature / Family of Blood” next door? Well, it was the mind-blowing announcement that Joel Hodgson and J (Josh) Elvis Weinstein (the first Tom Servo) would be making a surprise appearance. In fact, it was their first ever convention appearance anywhere. Sadly, it was an audience Q&A session that didn’t go anywhere. Actually, I’m being unfair. It was actually rather fun to observe Joel’s dry humor mix with a sci-fi audience. The fact he was constantly asking how much longer he had to stand up there continually made me chuckle. Got to meet the guys in the dealers room afterwards and they couldn’t have been nicer. That’s an autograph and picture I’ll keep for the rest of my days.

Nevertheless, I’m kicking myself for not going to the “Human Nature” commentary. I could have easily attended that event and still had the chance to meet Joel and Josh afterwards. C'est la Vie.

One thing I forgot to mention was the fact that I got a picture made that afternoon with Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Lisa Bowerman, Moya Brady, and Sean Gallagher. And I don’t mean that I got some individual pictures made with them, I actually got a family-style portrait with all of us together. I even had my sister get into the picture. Very surreal. I hope Gallifrey keeps that tradition up next year.

"Dinner with the Guys" - This wasn't actually a Gallifrey One event. Still, it was an event and personal highlight for me. I got to hang back with Louis, Ken, and their cool friend Billy. I had a fantastic time chatting with the guys. Regrettably, my sister and I had to bow out after an hour thanks to a coughing fit I had developed and some work-related junk I had been putting off until the last minute.

“Mysterious Theatre 337 “Silver Nemesis” – Now this is one wacky event. I was actually rather nervous about anyone not named Joel or Mike making an attempt at “film riffing”. I know how difficult MST3K-style performances can be (it took me years before I became competent)…and doing it in front of an audience is an even harder task. How was it? It was actually pretty damn funny. Shaun Lyon’s exit from the stage was a perfect opener and Wagner’s Der Ring des Nibelungen was properly skewered.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored