The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    McGann TARDIS Console
    McGann TARDIS Console
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  Downloading
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Downloading Views: 1140
     Wednesday, October 12 2005 @ 02:02 PM EDT
    QuestionFellow Whovians: Which sites should I use to download the new Dr's shows? I've tried a search and had no luck!What's the procedure?Thanks for helping a deprived American Whovian!

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, October 13 2005 @ 03:07 AM EDT
    Hi Chrisria,

Doctor Who made news back in late February when the first episode (Rose) of the new series made it to the internet on the BitTorrent sites even before the series debuted on television. It's no secret that the rest of the series showed up in the same manor through the duration of the series. That may clue you in where to look perhaps... But with that said, it may be difficult now because of the nature of how BitTorrent works there may not be any current 'seeders' now since so much time has passed since they originally appeared. Without 'seeders' you won't get what you want.

Until the new episodes are shown here in the US on a network or via syndication or until the DVDs are released in the US, what I recommend for US fans is to get the new episodes from the UK on the region 2 DVD discs in the PAL video format. The problem with that is that it won't play in most set-top DVD players in the States. But you can view them on your computer using a media utility such as the VLC Player (see the Tech links in our Links section of our site. It is free and runs on all major computer platforms). The other way to view these region 2 discs is by using a region-free DVD player (which are not common) or even play them on a XBox game system (although it will play the disc, the movement may not be as smooth as it should since PAL video plays at 25 frames per second and NTSC (what is used in the US) expects close to 30).

Currently there are no 'legal' means to download the new episodes that I am aware of right now on the net.

It is all so foolish... there are hungry fans here in the US awaiting the new episodes, yet there are no real means of getting them. Media companies deal in selling content to consumers, and here they have a hungry consumer base, the content is there, but is just not being offered. The same thing goes with Blake's 7 DVDs in the US... it makes no sense, just release them for sale as region 1 NTSC discs in the States...

We hope that the DVDs will show up on the US shores soon enough, though we haven't heard any word on when this may happen. So in the meantime, if one wants to buy the new episodes, one's choices are getting the DVDs from the UK which are region 2 discs or wait for the new upcoming UMD releases for the PSP (Sony Playstation Portable), but the UMD option will be more money and you will be limited to playing them only on the PSP.

I wish there was a better answer...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, October 14 2005 @ 06:15 PM EDT
    The whole concept of region coding was supposed to thwart piracy, but it actually encourages it. If a version is not available for a particular region, then the pirates and the file-sharers are the only alternatives to getting the content. And many computers limit the number of times you can switch region codes, so one really needs to understand how their software/operating software deals with region coding.

I personally avoided the DVDs that cropped up on Ebay after each UK broadcast and purchased the region 2 Doctor Who DVDs from Amazon.uk as they became available. I had purchased a multi-region player to play my Omega Factor discs, and some Japanese movies that I purchased earlier in the year.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 03:39 AM EST
    I'm curious if you aren't revieving any sites for legal reasons?

Downloading is illegal and I would never do such a thing. Razz

Personally I would never give a really good site to anyone even if they e-mailed me and asked really nicely... Wink

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 04:14 AM EST
    Downloading is sick and depraved. The people who download media in this way are the scum of the earth and should be exterminated.

Downloading, for example; movies - takes away revenue that would normally go to the near-destitute companies such as Warner Bros, and Sony. These companies struggle through life to selflessly distribute movies we all love at very reasonable prices.

I have accidentally slipped over and hit the keys on my PC a few times. My hand managed to randomly depress the exact buttons that ran a bit-torrent search and began downloading material. I can only apologise for this amazing set of coincidences and I myself am staggered that I have managed to repeat this mistake several times over the last few months.

Needless to say - I whip myself with twigs every night to help sooth my guilt.

Seriously though - Tarashnat has such a good point. I wanted some films recently that were not available on Region 2. It looked like they never would be. I ended up purchasing some Region 0 DVD's which I think probably aren't quite 100% non-naughty (they are dual layer though so very good quality!!). It seems a shame that the producers have squabbles over distribution rights, it's us the consumer that falls victim to this. We want to buy the films/TV programmes that we love - but if there is no way do so then we find other means of acquiring them.

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 04:32 AM EST
    I definately buy DVDs and have well over 200 but when it's not available what's a boy to do?? Go without?!?!?! Sorry I can't do that... arrest me if you will...

For humour purposes only... if any MPAA or RIAA people are reading this I have names... I will give people up... please I like freedom... go after the others but spare me!!!

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored