The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  

Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  In Moffat We Trust - the new cry
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    In Moffat We Trust - the new cry Views: 3751
     Tuesday, May 20 2008 @ 04:39 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    We could also see the ramp-up to HD at the same time - and since RTD has already said that the TARDIS isn't built to a standard good enough for HD and that DT has already broken half the controls - we could have a re-designed TARDIS control room.

Cheers, daveac

I might accualy have HD by then. This is good news indeed!!

Remember Me To Gallifrey!! Be sure to check Out the Phase Abandon Podcast on TalkShoe.com
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, May 20 2008 @ 05:24 PM EDT
    Great news! Looking forward to more Blink-like episodes and less Aliens of London.

Bollocks...sir.

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 02:14 AM EDT
    good times ahead of us!

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 03:53 AM EDT
    The torch is carried on from one true Who fan to another. Good news indeed.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 06:18 AM EDT
    This is excellent news!

And he's apparently been commissioning for series 5 for a bit now. Neil Gaiman recently mentioned on his blog a lunch with him to talk about "Doctor Who"

Could he be up for a Who script?

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 06:26 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am] I cannot wait to see where Steven takes us, since we all know it's going to be off-Earth much more often than we've grown newly accustomed to.

Isn't one of the problems that Moffat will face that people will have expectations of his take on the show that were never his intention?

There's not really much evidence in his writing so far that Moffat's any more "off-world" than RTD is. And the major obstacle to off-world adventures has tended to be budget and resources.

That's one of the reasons why there's more this season than before. The production team now how to realise them on a BBC budget now and the longer commitment to the show has enable "The Mill" to invest in more technology.

The amount of off-world adventuring has crept up anyway, so I can imagine that'll continue. But Moffat is just as unlikely as RTD was to go down the route of "adventures on planet Zog".

Congrats Steven! Best of luck - but you don't need it! The show could not be transitioning into better hands - cheers, my good sir. Mr. Green

EDIT: fixed malformed QUOTE tag—Taras

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 06:29 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] But will the start of his tenure coincide with a new Doctor?

I'm thinking so. All rumor-ish signs point to David leaving @ 'X-mas '09 right now. His "commitment" ends there. It might not happen, and I'd love to see both Tennant's brilliance and Moffat's together for a full 13-week run - but a regeneration makes sense, transitioning the new regime changeover in 2010 even moreso. We shall see...

Hasn't Ternnant implied he'll leave when RTD does? I agree that X-mas 2009 now seems likely

I think this news is also interesting after it was revealed that Jenny was going to die in "The Doctor's Daughter" until Moffat asked that they change it and have her live in the end. Have we already seen the 2010 companion?

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 09:07 AM EDT
    Great news.
    I found out about this on Sunday in fact, since one of the members at my Doctor Who fanclub knows someone in the BBC.
    Didn't 100% believe him then, but I do now.

I really hope that David does the 2010 series now, at least a bit of it, especially if they are going to make Jenny a companion. David and Georgia simple work great on screen.

Either way, I really don't want the 2009 christmas special to be a regeneration story, it's too sad an event to be shown at christmas Frown

bye bye david :(

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 10:49 AM EDT
    I wanted to repeat this from the comments of the original front page news post, along with some additional thoughts:

Ken, you mention in this Aftershock about keeping things in perspective, but when you get down to it, RTD's writing, imo, has been ridiculously uneven, and on top of that, some of the concepts RTD has allowed make me want to scream (much of LotTL, for example).

I'd also think it's premature to assume that Moffat is going to step into the job in the same manner as RTD. For example, while RTD has written several episodes a season, Moffat may stick to just one or two.

To be bluntly honest, Moffat is a much better writer than RTD, and I expect that to be reflected in the scripts down the road after Moffat takes over.

Also, you read from that DWM article from '88. I do find that article irony, given we've got 20 years to look back on now. IIRC, JNT wanted out before McCoy got the role, and while I don't believe JNT intentionally made bad decisions, there aren't too many of McCoy's stories that are looked on fondly, are there? The show needed a change, JNT knew that, and he wasn't allowed to leave. The fans knew it too, but probably didn't know all the details at the time about what was going on behind the scenes. Still, a cry for change was not unwarranted by the fans at the time.

And, I've said it before, I'll say it again, I love the new series, and I want it to get better and better, thus I criticize. And I really do dread what RTD has in store for us in the final episodes this season after what he wrote last year. He's done a great job as producer, an ok job as writer, but he's really needed a script editor lately to tell him that some of what he's written is crap. Confused

Otherwise, I'd have no problems with RTD staying on board.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 11:33 AM EDT

I agree with much of what you say silvanthalas. To paraphrase something Dave C. said a while back "Doctor Who is not above criticism" and this applies to all aspects of it. RTD brought DW back and did so in a way that brought it to Flagship show status, but this does not mean that everything he does is gold.

When in the course of events of Doctor Who it becomes necessary to say to the 300lb Gorilla in the room that the straw idea for the heemavore was shite, it is time for change. There needs to be a better way for the script flow to run otherwise we end up with L & M more often than we come up with Blink.

So in short, when an episode gets more talk on lighting and set design then we have to look at some root causes of why "those few" call for a head on a platter. You can't stop them if the diet does not change.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 11:49 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tom Hagen] ...

There's not really much evidence in his writing so far that Moffat's any more "off-world" than RTD is. And the major obstacle to off-world adventures has tended to be budget and resources.

That's one of the reasons why there's more this season than before. The production team now how to realise them on a BBC budget now and the longer commitment to the show has enable "The Mill" to invest in more technology.

The amount of off-world adventuring has crept up anyway, so I can imagine that'll continue. But Moffat is just as unlikely as RTD was to go down the route of "adventures on planet Zog".

Agreed. There hasn't been anything in the past Moffat stories to indicate that we would see more off-Earth adventures. That is why I said in an earlier post in this thread that we could only HOPE that will be the case.

I think another factor in having more off-Earth adventures is the realization that it need not be as expensive to do as they fear. Something Doctor Who learned decades ago, but seemed to have lost in the 21st century.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 01:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] I think another factor in having more off-Earth adventures is the realization that it need not be as expensive to do as they fear. Something Doctor Who learned decades ago, but seemed to have lost in the 21st century.

I agree for a number of reasons:
    a) the location doesn't have to be outrageously other-worldly to still be convincing as another planet - Look at the Ood Sphere (God, we accepted a quary as the outreaches of the universe for more than two decades - it doesn't take an awful lot for a Doctor Who fan to be able to suspend their disbelief)
    b) some of the historical locations must have cost a fortune to realise and that doesn't seem to have mitigated against their use; as much as I love the historicals - a balance would be nice. Would be nice as well for a few pure historicals - that way we could save money on special effects that could be nicely invested in other episodes as well as creating some interesting stories centred on 'real' events.
    Like many before me, I love the new series so far and expressing a wish list doesn't mean that I hate what RTD has done.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 01:39 PM EDT
    And Dave might actually get his wish: we may well see the return of a certain Sally Sparrow!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 02:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] And Dave might actually get his wish: we may well see the return of a certain Sally Sparrow!

Thanks - I need some good news after reading that Jessica Alba has just got married! Wink

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, May 21 2008 @ 02:06 PM EDT

I believe the "cost factor" for not doing off-Earth stories is just an excuse that is bandied about when the series producers are confronted. If you go back to when the series came back to television in 2005, RTD made it clear that he felt that the audience needed something to grab on to, something they can relate and identify with immediately. This is the reason why every companion since the series has come back has always been an Earth-born human one. This is why we have so many Earth-bound stories. As if we would not be able to identify or feel for any other race other than ourselves. This is why when we do have an actual off-Earth story, it always has Earth humans in it somehow.

Since the series has returned in 2005, we have not had one story which is completely unrelated to Earth or people originating from Earth somehow.

I don't buy the "cost factor" for not doing more off-world stories, never have. It is all about tying all the stories to Earth in one way or another so that the audience 'can relate to it.' As if the viewers would not be able to relate to any story not connected to Earth in some way. Of course, it could never get a mainstream audience if there wasn't something Earth-related for the audience to grab on to, this is why in 1977 a film such as Star Wars failed to find its audience and went nowhere because the story had no ties to Earth whatsoever. The audience could not relate to the characters and did not feel involved. This is why the film tanked and any possible sequels were never made. Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic