The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Caroline John with Gary Russell at Gallifrey 18, February 2007
    Caroline John with Gary Russell at Gallifrey 18, February 2007
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  New DVDs
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    New DVDs Views: 3546
     Friday, August 08 2008 @ 06:01 AM EDT
    Here's a little mental game that I like to play with myself. Working out which story should be the next to be released on DVD for each Doctor.
    Let's start with the First Doctor:
    I would love to see the Tenth Planet released just because of its importance in terms of first regeneration and first appearance of the cybermen. I remember the target novel fondly.
    It would be great if the missing last part could be animated but even a photographic slide show with the sound track would be better than nothing.
    Any other ideas for the next Bill Hartnell story?

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 08 2008 @ 09:41 AM EDT
    I agree! I'd like to see Planet of Spiders released from the Pertwee years for similar reasons I'd really like to see all the regeneration stories released, even Time and the Rani (ducking for cover).

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, August 08 2008 @ 09:51 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Dr. Hoo] I agree! I'd like to see Planet of Spiders released from the Pertwee years for similar reasons I'd really like to see all the regeneration stories released, even Time and the Rani (ducking for cover).

Planet of Spiders is available in the US iTunes store...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, August 08 2008 @ 12:22 PM EDT

DVD release news

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, August 08 2008 @ 03:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] Here's a little mental game that I like to play with myself. Working out which story should be the next to be released on DVD for each Doctor.
    Let's start with the First Doctor:
    I would love to see the Tenth Planet released just because of its importance in terms of first regeneration and first appearance of the cybermen. I remember the target novel fondly.
    It would be great if the missing last part could be animated but even a photographic slide show with the sound track would be better than nothing.

My Choice for each Doctor would be:
    1st Doctor:The Space Museum
    2nd Doctor:The War Games
    3rd Doctor:Terror of The Autons
    4th Doctor:The Deadly Assassin
    5th Doctor:Snakedance
    6th Doctor:Attack of the Cyberman
    7th Doctor:The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 08 2008 @ 05:26 PM EDT
    Yes, definitely The War Games for the 2nd Doctor, I agree. I'm sure I heard rumours that they were preparing this. My local newspaper the Brighton Evening Argus had an ad asking people if they had photos or memories of this being filmed a while back. I'm not sure what its connection with Brighton is though.
    But a definite must for DVD. Is it the longest existing story?

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 08 2008 @ 08:48 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] Yes, definitely The War Games for the 2nd Doctor, I agree. I'm sure I heard rumours that they were preparing this. My local newspaper the Brighton Evening Argus had an ad asking people if they had photos or memories of this being filmed a while back. I'm not sure what its connection with Brighton is though.
    Well, it's the longest if you don't consider Trial of a Time Lord or The Key to Time as a single story. As for the Brighton connection, that was principal exterior location for the WWI battlefield seen in the earlier episodes of the serial. Technically, all that was filmed in a what's the euphemism? "waste reclamation facility" in Sheepcote Valley. Hardly Brighton proper, though; I really wonder how many respondents the newspaper got to that ad.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Friday, August 08 2008 @ 11:23 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] My local newspaper the Brighton Evening Argus had an ad asking people if they had photos or memories of this being filmed a while back. I'm not sure what its connection with Brighton is though.

I travel about round the UK quite a bit (combination of work, family and leisure). Whenever I go anywhere I'll always get the local paper to get a bit of a feel of the place I'm at - and by some distance the Argus is my favourite. Possibly because I've so much time for the town itself, don't know - but I do enjoy reading it.

Nothing to do with DVDs I know, but seeing as you mentioned it...

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 08 2008 @ 11:39 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]
    Given the general synergy that's existed between the 2Entertain and BBC Wales release schedules, I'm surprised that "The Romans" isn't out already. I would've thought that should've been this year's Hartnell, over "The War Machines".

In the same way that we've seen original series Sontaran stories released around the time of the release of "The Sontaran Stratagem", and "The Invasion" came out around the time of the Cybus Cybermen introduction, I would've thought "The Romans" would've been a natural fit around the release of "The Fires of Pompeii". Or at least "The Sensorites", given the explicit connections between them and the Ood.

If and when they do release "The Space Museum", I'm kinda hoping they do it on a double-bill with "The Chase", since the two are narratively linked in a stronger way than was typical of one Hartnell story to another.

Still, the one that's ripest for the most interesting extra features is probably "Planet of Giants". I'd love for some definitive documentary to be done on that story, since it took a lot of twists and turns behind the scenes. It should've been the pilot, but then wasn't; should've been a four parter, but then wasn't; should've been massively difficult to film on the budget allowed; but turned out to be pretty easy. It's just a weird, funky little story that you could make it into an entertaining meal with the right "package".

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Saturday, August 09 2008 @ 03:40 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] As for the Brighton connection, that was principal exterior location for the WWI battlefield seen in the earlier episodes of the serial. Technically, all that was filmed in a what's the euphemism? "waste reclamation facility" in Sheepcote Valley. Hardly Brighton proper, though; I really wonder how many respondents the newspaper got to that ad.

Thanks for that information Darth. Now it makes me want to see the DVD even more being Brighton born and bred.
    The Sheepcote valley is very amuch a part of Brighton just up the road from Roedean ( a very posh private school for girls). It's just that Brighton is a lot larger and more sprawling than many people think (altho obviously not on the scale of many American cities).
    Any time you're here for a visit and mi casa...

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, August 10 2008 @ 06:00 AM EDT
    As for the Third Doctor - there are so many choices. I'd love to see Planet of the Spiders obviously - it was the first regeneration I saw as a kid and I love the huge chase scene. I'd also like to see Planet of the Daleks - we don't have any 3rd Doctor and Daleks on DVD yet and this is one of the best (one of the best Dalek stories ever in fact).
    However, I have to go with the Daemons - because the ensemble cast are there and because we just don't have enough of Roger Delgado yet - also because there are some obvious special features that could make this an excellent package!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 11 2008 @ 11:34 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] Yes, definitely The War Games for the 2nd Doctor, I agree. I'm sure I heard rumours that they were preparing this. My local newspaper the Brighton Evening Argus had an ad asking people if they had photos or memories of this being filmed a while back. I'm not sure what its connection with Brighton is though.

The War Games filmed at various locations in Sussex. The Chase was filmed at Camber Sands in Sussex. The Restoration team asked in local papers for anyone who has memories of the filming of either of these story's to get in contact with them. They also recently asked, in a local paper, if anyone had memories of The Mask of Mandragora being filmed at Portmeirion in North Wales.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 13 2008 @ 08:40 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  shockeye07]The War Games filmed at various locations in Sussex. The Chase was filmed at Camber Sands in Sussex. The Restoration team asked in local papers for anyone who has memories of the filming of either of these story's to get in contact with them. They also recently asked, in a local paper, if anyone had memories of The Mask of Mandragora being filmed at Portmeirion in North Wales.

Sounds like some good stuff coming our way soon.
    For the Fourth Doctor DVD I'd choose Seeds of Doom which I saw agains a few years ago and loved. For my part, you can't beat those Doctor/Sarah Hinchcliff seasons - maybe because I grew up with them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 13 2008 @ 10:17 AM EDT
    The Restoration Team have put up preview articles for "The War Machines" & "Four To Doomsday" DVDs on their site. There is also a very good trailer for "The War Machines"

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, January 02 2009 @ 03:59 AM EST
    Here's my current list:
    1st Doctor: the Tenth Planet (last part reconstructed of course)
    2nd Doctor: The War Games
    3rd Doctor: The Daemons
    4th Doctor: The Seeds of Doom
    5th Doctor: Snakedance
    6th Doctor: Attack of the Cybermen (running out of good ones here)
    7th Doctor: Dragonfire

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed