The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Dalek Bottle Opener
    Dalek Bottle Opener
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  My Shame At Being A Doctor Who Fan
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    My Shame At Being A Doctor Who Fan Views: 2135
     Monday, January 05 2009 @ 04:40 PM EST
    I know I shouldn’t rise to the bait but I can’t stand it anymore. Some of the abuse (and that’s what it is) for Matt Smith on sites such as OG etc is utterly appalling.

No reasoning, no intelligent comments, no common sense. I’m fiercely proud of DW fandom but at times like this I feel embarrassed to be part of it. I just hope Matt doesn’t read any of this.

I wonder if these are the same 'fans' that abused JNT for running himself into the ground, trying to save the programme and risking his future career. Or maybe the ones who tried to get everyone to boycott’ the Human Nature/Family of Blood story because it was based on a novel – by the SAME writer!

Thankfully all the proper fans have the common sense to see the guy in action before judging him but in the meantime, we’ll be plagued by facebook group invitees, petitions and threads to get rid of Matt Smith, just because he isn’t ‘famous enough’, 'He's too young' or ‘He isn’t David’.

You know what, they where right - Jan 3rd was indeed a sad day for Doctor Who – the day I realised the majority of internet users are idiots.

Doctor Who Forum

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 05:05 PM EST
    They'll soon change their tune when they see how great and fresh and new the programme will be!
    Remember all of the Catherine tate nay-sayers!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 05:39 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] I know I shouldn’t rise to the bait but I can’t stand it anymore. Some of the abuse (and that’s what it is) for Matt Smith on sites such as OG etc is utterly appalling.

No reasoning, no intelligent comments, no common sense. I’m fiercely proud of DW fandom but at times like this I feel embarrassed to be part of it. I just hope Matt doesn’t read any of this.

I wonder if these are the same 'fans' that abused JNT for running himself into the ground, trying to save the programme and risking his future career. Or maybe the ones who tried to get everyone to boycott’ the Human Nature/Family of Blood story because it was based on a novel – by the SAME writer!

Thankfully all the proper fans have the common sense to see the guy in action before judging him but in the meantime, we’ll be plagued by facebook group invitees, petitions and threads to get rid of Matt Smith, just because he isn’t ‘famous enough’, 'He's too young' or ‘He isn’t David’.

You know what, they where right - Jan 3rd was indeed a sad day for Doctor Who – the day I realised the majority of internet users are idiots.

Doctor Who Forum

Hear Hear... I have also been quite shocked at some of the posts on other sites! It is almost as if they want Matt Smith to be a disaster! A case of being proud of the show but ashamed at some of my fellow fans. If Matt Smith is reading I would want everybody who loves our show to thank him for taking on such an intense show and to wish him the very best of luck. He IS (or rather, will be) THE DOCTOR!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 07:48 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin]Jan 3rd was indeed a sad day for Doctor Who – the day I realised the majority of internet users are idiots.

Don't feel too bad...the idiots have roaming online for the past 15+ years, and aren't a problem unique to Doctor Who.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 08:46 PM EST
    You should've seen the comments in the forums on Digital Spy. Those were just NASTY.

It kinda makes me sad that people have such "knee-jerk" actions without giving anybody a chance.

We can only hope that he proves them all wrong when his shows begin to air.

EDIT: I think (for the most part) the users of this forum are more intelligent and tolerant than many other sites.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 09:05 PM EST
    Vitriol for vitriols sake, is an ugly thing.

The only thing he has been in that I have seen is the "Ruby in the Smoke". All I seem to remember is that the character was "a bit wet".

In short, nothing to make me pro or con in his casting.

However, Steven Moffat commands much respect from me some of the best revived who we have seen, excellent comedy series etc. If we take him at his word (from Doctor Who confidential) that Matt is the Doctor (given the appropriate script) then I for one am willing to wait and see before making my judgement.

Fingers crossed for a whole year,

Stewart

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 02:12 AM EST
    Yeah i know what you mean about the hating. last night i found myself on screen rant and there was loads on there. all saying things like
    "he's only 26 he has no life experience, how can we believe him to be a 900 year old timelord?"

simple. He will act, its a technique where someone pretends to be someone or something else.

I for one am glad Matt was picked. Every time there is a casting for doctor who I get really bored with the constant calls for Eddie Izzard, Johnathan Davies, Bill Bailey, Bill Nighy , Alan Rickman to be cast as the Doctor. We had that sort of stunt casting in the 80s, and I am sure the role of the doctor is best suited to an actor, not a quizshow host or comedian.
    I think the role of the doctor works best with relative unknowns. I have heard people hoping for James Mcevoy or Cillian Murphy, who are established Hollywood stars to basically decamp to Cardiff for 8 - 9 months a year to work on a British TV show, makes no sense to me either

I think its very telling that both Podshock and tindog and R.F.S. are like me quite excited about this casting and have both asked the same question.
    Who is Matt Smith?
    Exactly. WHO is Matt Smith
    Go MATT!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 07:09 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  dave hingley]
    I think its very telling that both Podshock and tindog and R.F.S. are like me quite excited about this casting

Yeah I am exited by the choice. I am very glad its an unknown.... when the show has done this in the past its bween great. Also. Ive not found any Anti Matt stuff that's anything more than the panic brought about by change. We are WHO fans. we dont like change and yet MUST embrase it.

Also. he may stay for more than three years. which MUST be good.

Doctor Emo or any of the other names are just a shorthand for people who have nothing but one interview to go on.

lets just let it go and keep any matt baching away from this place.

Big Grin

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 08:12 AM EST
    I'm annoyed that people are being negative, but what can you do. There's always people who are negative.

I just finished writing an epic rant over this on the Supanova forums after one member made a very stupid, misinformed and negative post.
    *rages*

bye bye david :(

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 08:26 AM EST
    Nothing wrong in expressing a preference or concern. Forums like OG and this one should be places where people feel comfortable criticizing or praising RTD, David Tennant, Steven Moffat, Matt Smith, and so on in equal measure. It's all in the tone, and whether it comes from fanboy entitlement.

I'm not excited about the Matt Smith casting, but I've got no reason to go hateful or nuts about it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 01:01 PM EST
    Some peoples over reaction has been extreme i saw some of the posts on digital spy and was shocked at how people were saying how bad he would be based on one 5 min ? if that interview on doctor who confidential. at least give him an episode or two Rolling Eyes

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 07:51 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Ace] Some peoples over reaction has been extreme i saw some of the posts on digital spy and was shocked at how people were saying how bad he would be based on one 5 min ? if that interview on doctor who confidential. at least give him an episode or two Rolling Eyes

I thought the interview he did and his animated gesturing really helped sell the idea of him as the doctor, He Seemed genuinely excited about the role. I get the Feeling that he is not a fan so i guess the next 6 months or so will be Doctor Who Bootcamp for him... maybe we should suguest titles for him? I forward 'fear her' and 'Timelash' :-P

actually, thats a prettty good ideas for a thread I'll sort that out

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 12 2009 @ 09:06 PM EST
    Having avoided the other sites and comments on Matt Smith, I was pretty surprised when a friend sent me a piece of "flair" on facebook that was INCREDIBLY anti-Matt.

I think I'm going to steal from Ronnie Reagan and go with "Trust but verify" when it comes to Smith as the Doctor, which means I'll be waiting a year plus until I can verify.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 13 2009 @ 06:54 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  FixerMX] Nothing wrong in expressing a preference or concern. Forums like OG and this one should be places where people feel comfortable criticizing or praising RTD, David Tennant, Steven Moffat, Matt Smith, and so on in equal measure. It's all in the tone, and whether it comes from fanboy entitlement.

I'm not excited about the Matt Smith casting, but I've got no reason to go hateful or nuts about it.
    While I agree that tone is important, I found the linked article about entitlement fascinating in its hypothesis but flawed in its conclusion. People emphatically do have a right to feel entitled, a right even to be angry, overjoyed, or, like you and me, fairly unemotional about the pick.

The way I see it, Doctor Who is a product. It's a good in which we fanboys and girls have invested a lot of money. American fans, in particular, have spent an insensible amount of money supporting the cause. More money by far than the typical British license payer, because, we potentially pay (or have paid) our local PBS station a sum of money specifically earmarked for the presentation of Doctor Who. More money than the typical British DVD collector, because our USD price per release is kept artificially high to prevent British fans from shopping at amazon.com instead of amazon.co.uk. More money than the typical British fan who can pay the simple cover price for Doctor Who Magazine. We're very much entitled, given how much financial support we've given to say whatever we want about any aspect of Doctor Who.

To put it plainly, we are the customers. We are, quite simply, always right.

So, just as we would be mad at spending money on a new toothpaste that tasted terrible or a new house that was riddled with termites, we can legitimately get emotional over the selection of a new Doctor.

True, we haven't yet seen young Mr. Smith as the Doctor. But that's rather the point. We're examining the merchandise on offer, seeing if it'll be hard-wearing enough for our future Saturday nights. This "abuse" of Matt Baker that's "utterly appalling" is not a particle different from overhearing loud opinion about clothing seen in storefront windows.

I personally love comments that are raw and untempered. Times like these, when the future is almost completely unknown, are among the richest periods for the creative minds of fandom. This time last year, and this time year before that, and this time the year before that, and this time the year before that — they were all the BEST times to be Doctor Who fans. Go back and look at the off-season arguments for and against Eccleston, Piper, Tennant, Ageyman, and Tate. They're fascinating. And you find the wildest, craziest ideas of how they'd approach their roles during the run-up to a broadcast season.

Was I ashamed of people saying things like "Catherine Tate will kill the show" or "I won't watch because she's in it"? No. They flabbergasted me, cause I really enjoyed "Bride" on its own merits. But they hardly embarrassed me — especially because, in the event, the highest-rated episode of Doctor Who ever is one in which she's the principal companion, and indeed the "most important being in the universe".

I think what fandom has to worry about is the point at which these voices of outrage are silent. When we're all conforming to a polite party line. Because dissent, especially loud, immediate, unfiltered dissent, means that people care. I'd rather see forum threads with a hundred vitriolic responses posted within the space of an hour after the announcement of a new actor, than ones with 10 positive posts over the course of a day.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, January 13 2009 @ 08:56 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  FixerMX] Nothing wrong in expressing a preference or concern. Forums like OG and this one should be places where people feel comfortable criticizing or praising RTD, David Tennant, Steven Moffat, Matt Smith, and so on in equal measure. It's all in the tone, and whether it comes from fanboy entitlement.

While I agree that tone is important, I found the linked article about entitlement fascinating in its hypothesis but flawed in its conclusion. People emphatically do have a right to feel entitled, a right even to be angry, overjoyed, or, like you and me, fairly unemotional about the pick.

The way I see it, Doctor Who is a product. It's a good in which we fanboys and girls have invested a lot of money. American fans, in particular, have spent an insensible amount of money supporting the cause. More money by far than the typical British license payer, because, we potentially pay (or have paid) our local PBS station a sum of money specifically earmarked for the presentation of Doctor Who. More money than the typical British DVD collector, because our USD price per release is kept artificially high to prevent British fans from shopping at amazon.com instead of amazon.co.uk. More money than the typical British fan who can pay the simple cover price for Doctor Who Magazine. We're very much entitled, given how much financial support we've given to say whatever we want about any aspect of Doctor Who.

To put it plainly, we are the customers. We are, quite simply, always right.

Right, I generally agree with the point of your post but I have some of my own points to make about this interesting discussion over 'emotional rights'.

Firstly, one doesn't have emotions by right. Emotions will occur, rights or no. I find it odd to think about them as something one must have permission to have.

OK, so Doctor Who is a Product technically, but the most common use of this term is to mean Commercial Product which it is not. Alright, I know it is sold commercially outside of the UK and I'm no expert on the mechanism by which it is done, but the BBC is not run for profit and any income is there for the benefit of the licence fee payer (licence fee = TV tax) ie. us. Mainly because we club together and use our money collectively to employ people to make our TV programs for us, we do not pay a company to do so (when discussing the BBC of course). This is in contrast to C4 which is also government owned but a commercial organisation fun by the government, there is a big difference.

The result? We sell the 'Product' of Who abroad for the benefit of the British TV tax payer. Only the British electorate have a right to expect to influence the British government and its state institutions. One might say that the US presidency affects the British public and that we have paid plenty to get it and keep it going, but that doesn't give us the right to have a say in how the presidency acts. That is simply how national democracy works.

All that said, us British TV tax payers want non-UK types to enjoy Who and feel involved since it tempts you to spend your wonga to receive it and we can then make more ace TV proggies for the British public, which again you might like as well. It is not about rights, however, it is purely about getting the best quality TV to the British public which works out well for us all (good for us!). It's great to have you along for the ride.

To put it plainly, we are certainly not customers, we are the British Electorate. We are, quite simply, rarely right but we'll do in the compromise that is democracy Smile~

-- BongMong :)~
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed