The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Colin Baker's Costume
    Colin Baker's Costume
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  The Troughton Curse
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The Troughton Curse Views: 904
     Thursday, February 05 2009 @ 10:23 AM EST
    First off I want to say that this is in no way a slam at Patrick. As a matter of fact if it wasn’t for his successful portrayal of the 2nd Doctor the show would have never survived. Plus he is one of my favorite Doctors. It’s not necessarily a curse per say but I don’t know what else to call it. However, what I’m about to speculate is a theme that seems to run through some of my favorite actors career as the Doctor.

When Troughton took the role in 1966 he decided to only play the part for a short three years. He once told an interviewer that his greatest concern was that too much publicity would limit his opportunities as a character actor after he left the role.*

Now set the time cordiates to 1981 when Peter Davison took the role. It was well documented that Peter was a fan of Patrick’s Doctor and watch his portrayal when he was a teenager. It has been discussed that Davison wasn’t happy with his scrips for season 20. This is when “The Five Doctors” begins filming and Troughton advises Davison that he leave the role after three years.

Now lets program our TARDIS to the David Tennant Era specifically November 16, 2007. The on air meeting of Doctor #5 & #10 in “Time Crash”. Tennant has admited to being a fan of Peter’s Doctor and watch his portrayal when he was a teenager (sound familiar?). He is even dating Peter’s daughter Georgia Moffett. Could Davison have given the same advise to Tennant that he got from Troughton? Tennant’s run will only have lasted three normal seasons and one season of specials.

Will some teenager who is watching Tennant’s Doctor grow up to become a future incarnation and follow in the footsteps of Tennant, Davison, and Troughton? I would love to have had a few more seasons of number 2, 5, & 10. In many ways feel that their time as the Doctor was too short. Frown

* wikipedia

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 05 2009 @ 10:42 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  texastimelord] I would love to have had a few more seasons of number 2, 5, & 10. In many ways feel that their time as the Doctor was too short. Frown

Whilst I understand and agree with a lot of what you've said - by the time David T finishes he will have had a lot of 'hours' onscreen as the Doctor.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, February 05 2009 @ 11:11 AM EST
    I wouldn't really call it a "curse" but it did seem to set the standard amount of time for an actor to play "The Doctor" in the show.

Of course, Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker held the role for much longer periods, the three to four year stint seems to be the norm.

Kind of a pity though, I would have liked to have more stories from the Troughton era but if he didn't leave then, we may not have gotten Jon Pertwee as his replacement.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 05 2009 @ 04:08 PM EST
    Also I remember reading or hearing some were that Sylvester Mccoy liked the idea of Troughtons 3 year doctor ship and was considering it. before the bbc said otherwise

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 05 2009 @ 04:26 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  texastimelord] I would love to have had a few more seasons of number 2, 5, & 10. In many ways feel that their time as the Doctor was too short. Frown

Whilst I understand and agree with a lot of what you've said - by the time David T finishes he will have had a lot of 'hours' onscreen as the Doctor.

Cheers, daveac

DoctorStoriesEpisodesDuration (min)Duration (hr)
    The Fourth Doctor - Tom Baker421724146.8869.11
    The First Doctor - William Hartnell291343264.8554.41
    The Third Doctor - John Pertwee241283113.2551.89
    The Second Doctor - Patrick Troughton211192839.347.32
    The Tenth Doctor - David Tennant3747227937.98*
    The Fifth Doctor - Peter Davidson20691800.3230.01
    The Sixth Doctor - Colin Baker11311029.9517.17
    The Seventh Doctor - Sylvester McCoy12421025.5217.09
    The Eleventh Doctor - Matt Smith111464510.75*
    The Ninth Doctor - Christopher Eccleston1013570.19.5
    The Eighth Doctor - Paul McGann1184.651.41
    * - includes episodes still in production

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, February 05 2009 @ 10:46 PM EST
    Quick question tarashnat:

when the calculations were made, were the minutes of Sylvester McCoy's time in the movie included or not?

If not, his placing on the list would be higher.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 05 2009 @ 11:07 PM EST
    No comment on the topic at hand. Just wanted to say I love texastimelord's animated GIF avatar.

Mr. Green

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 06 2009 @ 01:47 PM EST
    Keep in mind that Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, & Paul McGann only did a short run because it was a decision out of their hands.

However with Tennant, Davidson, & Troughton it was a decision that they made on their own. They could have done a couple more years but decided against it. They were never asked to leave and were consider quite successful at the role. They left on their own terms unlike C. Baker, McCoy, & McGann. It would be as if Tom Baker left after season 16.

Also, and please someone explain this to me, why is the 2009 full of specials and not a regular season? If memory serves it was so David could dedicate time to his stage career and then come back full term. Now he is leaving…so what’s the point now?

[Quote  by:  Linquel] No comment on the topic at hand. Just wanted to say I love texastimelord's animated GIF avatar.

Mr. Green

Thanks! Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 06 2009 @ 02:43 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  T Baker(notTom)] Quick question tarashnat:

when the calculations were made, were the minutes of Sylvester McCoy's time in the movie included or not?

This is not minutes of screen time, but the sum of the episode lengths for each era. The Three Doctors counts for Pertwee, The Five Doctors for Davison, The Two Doctors for Colin Baker, and Doctor Who: the Movie for McGann.

Friday, February 06 2009 @ 02:53 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  texastimelord] Also, and please someone explain this to me, why is the 2009 full of specials and not a regular season? If memory serves it was so David could dedicate time to his stage career and then come back full term. Now he is leaving…so what’s the point now?

The plan was always to rest the series so it doesn't become stale and to give the new production team time to hit the ground runnnig.

Due to various press leaks of Tennant's departure amongst other pressures, it was decided not to have a year devoid completely of Doctor Who but to at least have a few specials. Eventually, this was explored and it was decided to have four specials, probably based on people's availabilities and what not.

David Tennant chose to take the role of Hamlet, because he knew there would be an "off" year, not the other way around, that the BBC was accommodating his schedule.

My original take was that the off year was required to retool for HD production, and the news that the specials will be filmed in HD supports this, but whether this was involved in the decision at all is purely speculation on my part.

Friday, February 06 2009 @ 10:07 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  T Baker(notTom)] Quick question tarashnat:

This is not minutes of screen time, but the sum of the episode lengths for each era. The Three Doctors counts for Pertwee, The Five Doctors for Davison, The Two Doctors for Colin Baker, and Doctor Who: the Movie for McGann.

Thanks for the clarification!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored