The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Talking Doctor and K9
    Talking Doctor and K9
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  Favorite stories as voted by you!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Favorite stories as voted by you! Views: 1395
     Sunday, August 21 2005 @ 11:30 AM EDT
    It's time for that old favorite: Vote for the greatest Dr.Who story. Please post your pick(s) for the best or your favorite story and WHY!! The results may be used for an upcoming marathon. Or not--LOL

"There comes a time, Timelord, when every lonely little boy must learn how to dance"
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, August 21 2005 @ 04:34 PM EDT
    This is always a tough question, and is impossible for me to give just one answer, but I will attempt to answer it.
    I would say that one of the best Doctor Who stories would have to be The Invasion with Patrick Troughton. This story has it all. A very memorable villian in Tobias Vaun, the first appearance of UNIT with Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart, Jamie who is easily one of my favorite companions, and a story done in such a way that gives it a very epic feel. Oh, and did I mention the Cybermen? Plus it makes great use of location filming to really give you that chilling feeling that maybe those cybermen really are in the middle of London. And the regulars were at their best throughout the whole story.
    Another favorite of mine would be The Enlightenment with Peter Davidson. It was a Tegan and Turlough story, which right off the bat makes it one of my favorites. And it has so much going on. The first cliffhanger is great with Davidson realizing that they are actually on a space ship, and more just keeps on coming. Realizing that the pilots are Eternals and what their powers are, one of the Eternals having a secret sabatoge weapon, discovering what the stakes of the race are, Turlough trying to betray the Doctor, The Black Guardian trying to meddle throughout the story, and discovering what enlightment really means. This just has a lot going on. Where most sci-fi shows would have just settled with old fashioned ships flying in space for a story in their programs, Doctor Who takes it several steps further making this story easily one of the most enjoyable in the Davidson era, and perhaps in all of Doctor Who.
    Well, I think that's good for now, though I may very well post more stories later, heh.

"Hero! I should have been a God!"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 24 2005 @ 06:17 PM EDT
    Well since no one else seems to have a favorite story, I'll throw another one out there. How about Warrior's Gate? Its a great Tom Baker story that seems to get overlooked when people talk about the best Tom Baker stories. Its got an amazing hard sci-fi plot, involving all sorts or techno-babble, its got a nice polished looked, a very memorable foe in the captain and his crew, that are not so much villians as they are just trying to survive, no matter how underhanded they have to be. And to top it off, the Tharals (or however you spell it) are not without sin either, having been members of a vicious empire. Its a complex and satisfying story, a creative and my personal favorite use of K-9, as well as a great departing story for Romana, who showed great character evolution as she too is now roaming all of time and e-space, meddling in others affairs. A great doctor who story, as well as a great piece of science fiction.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 24 2005 @ 06:47 PM EDT
    Well, you grabbed "Invasion". Thats my fav b/w story. "Earthshock" is another great one. It seems more popular in the U.S. than the U.K. for some reason. I think its because Americans are used to a heavy dose of action with their sci-fi. "Terror of the Autons" is near perfect too!

"There comes a time, Timelord, when every lonely little boy must learn how to dance"

Saturday, August 27 2005 @ 11:12 PM EDT
    I've done a lot of thinking about my favorite stories. Since I haven't seen a lot of Troughton, and not much Pertwee (though I've recently discovered him thanks to Amazon.com and VHS tapes on discount), they don't appear on my top five, though one or two Pertwees would easily fit into my top 10...

My top five are as follows:

5. Earthshock. Peter Davison
    4. Pyramids of Mars. Tom Baker
    3. Remembrance of the Daleks. Sylvester McCoy
    2. City of Death. Tom Baker
    1. Horror at Fang Rock. Tom Baker

Why? Hard to say, but let me try:

5. Earthshock. This is a cyberman story. Not a bad one at that. What I loved about this episode was that they showed they were willing to kill off a companion. But that's just the beginning. Well, the ending. It's a good story, well produced, and keeps a tense atmosphere throughout. Very Who.

4. Pyramids of Mars. Well, I've always been an Egyptology buff, (as you can tell if you read my photo story, "The Second Key". Segment Three: The Malkatese Falcon takes us back to Egypt.) The story was good, the mood excellent, Sara Jane Smith... what can I say? No K9. Everything about this story calls to me. And I watch it repeatedly.

3. Remembrance of the Daleks. Much as people love to bash McCoy and Aldred, I think they were fine. The stories they had to work with weren't always top notch - hello? Candy Man? Hello??? This one, however, harkens back to the first episode ever, does some excellent self-references, we see a Dalek hover for the first time, Ace is ace, McCoy is excellent, and the story is just a darned good one. And my favorite moment perhaps in any Doctor Who story: "No Coloreds". Wow. That they would do that scene is amazing.

2. City of Death. Who needs to explain this one? Cute Romana, Douglas Adams, Tom Baker, Location Shoot in Paris, Da Vinci, Mona Lisa, Glover, Schell, great story, seeds of "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", excellent miniature work, this one has it all, and to top it all off... this one can be described in one word... "Exquisite... absolutely exquisite!"

1. Horror at Fang Rock. This one chilled me to the bone. I loved everything about it. The mood, the period characters, and to me, a lighthouse. Ever since I was a kid, lighthouses held a fascination for me, and setting a story in a lighthouse was the best thing you could do to keep me glued to my seat. This story, hands down, is the single most "Doctor Who" story of all of them.

Oh, there are more, but that's my top five. And luckily, I have Earthshock and Pyramds of Mars on DVD, I hope to get Remembrance soon, and the remaining two are slated for release here in the US this fall. WOOT!

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, August 29 2005 @ 01:47 PM EDT
    This is a really hard question to ask. I can't really pick out a single favourite story so I will just give my favourite story for each Doctor.

First Doctor - The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    Second Doctor - Tomb Of The Cybermen
    Third Doctor - Spearhead from Space
    Fourth Doctor - City Of Death
    Fifth Doctor - Earthshock
    Sixth Doctor - Revelation of the Daleks
    Seventh Doctor - Curse Of The Fenric
    Eighth Doctor - Shada (webcast)
    Ninth Doctor - Dalek

Most planets have a North!

Monday, August 29 2005 @ 04:25 PM EDT
    I'm going to take my cue from James and format my list like this:
    First Doctor - The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    Second Doctor - Invasion
    Third Doctor - Tie: Terror of the Autons/Mind of Evil
    Fourth Doctor - Keeper of Traken
    Fifth Doctor - Earthshock
    Sixth Doctor - Trial of a Timelord
    Seventh Doctor - I dont have one
    Eighth Doctor - Storm Warning (Big Finish)
    Ninth Doctor - Empty Child/Doctor Dances
    Tenth Doctor - ???

Monday, August 29 2005 @ 05:02 PM EDT
    First Doctor: The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    Second: The Invasion
    Third: The Mind of Evil
    Fourth: The Warrior's Gate
    Fifth: Earthshock
    Sixth: Trial of a Timelord
    Seventh: Battlefield
    Eighth: The Chimes of Midnight (Big Finish)
    Ninth: The Unquiet Dead

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 29 2005 @ 05:54 PM EDT
    Looks like Earthshocks all round with regard to the 5th Doctor! I sense a DVD commentary in the midst!

Monday, August 29 2005 @ 06:08 PM EDT
    Interesting to see "Dalek Invasion of Earth" an across the board fav as well.

Monday, August 29 2005 @ 06:47 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  James] Looks like Earthshocks all round with regard to the 5th Doctor! I sense a DVD commentary in the midst!

Ah yes! I didn't notice that! Look's like we have our work cut out for us!

Tuesday, August 30 2005 @ 07:28 PM EDT
    Just to keep things going on this board, I feel like posting my top 5 stories from my favorite Doctor's era, Peter Davidson. And they are:
    1. Earthshock
    2. Warriors of the Deep
    3. Caves of Androzani
    4. Frontios
    5. Enlightenment
    This is generally how I list them, but Castrovalva and Time-Flight are either right behind them, or sometimes they even make the list. I would also like to use this to talk about what I feel is one of the most underrated Doctor Who stories in the Davidson era, Warriors of the Deep.
    This story was a great way to open a great season. It was a 4 parter that went right back to the roots of Doctor Who, using the classic base under siege format. It was a Tegan and Turlough story, which is always a good thing, and really brought out the best of both characters. Turlough was just as devious as ever, and Tegan did a great job sticking up for the Doctor to the bitter end. And of course, it has that memorable final line from Peter Davidson "There should have been another way." It was a well delivered line that spoke volumes. The fact that he said the word should gave the line depth, since it implied there was no other way, there just should have been.
    The Silurians and Sea Devils both came back, and stayed true to the evolution of there characters. Now the Silurians have come back to destroy the human race after what the humans did to them in Doctor Who and the Silurians. Memorable characters included the 2 traitors and the captain of the base. And Warriors of the Deep also took everything one step further than your standard sci-fi story. Not only were these Silurians and Sea Devils coming back for revenge, but a world war was going on, traitors were trying to sabatoge the base, and the topic of genocide and moral ethics were brought up in a grim setting.
    On top of all of that, just like in Caves of Androzani, there really are no "good guys" in this story, as they are all looking out for their own interests. This is a point people always bring up about Caves, but never about this story. This is truly classic Doctor Who, and its so underappreciated. If some fans can't get over the poor design of the Murka for this story (which was rushed due to time restraints), then they're only hurting themselves.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, September 04 2005 @ 02:29 AM EDT
    Well I've probably done this a million times on a million different boards/conversations/whatever but I don't think many of mine match with the ones listed so far, so here goes; I also can't list just one, as I have several that I like for each Doctor..

First Doctor - The Crusade/The Daleks' Master Plan
    Second Doctor - The Evil of the Daleks/The Abominable Snowmen
    Third Doctor - Terror of the Autons/The Claws of Axos
    Fourth Doctor - Pyramids of Mars/The Talons of Weng-Chiang
    Fifth Doctor - Castrovalva/The Caves of Androzani
    Sixth Doctor - er...The Two Doctors. But only because Troughton's in it.
    Seventh/Eighth - nothing, thanks
    Ninth Doctor - The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances/Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways

So as you can see..I don't like the McCoy era at all. Smile Not to mention the TV movie or any of the books or BF audios, which I don't consider even remotely to be canonical - which is a whole other topic entirely. Big Grin

I hate those comic books. They never get the eyes right.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, September 15 2005 @ 07:58 PM EDT
    Hmmm... this is tough, because I haven't seen them all. I don't have the resources to buy all the Dr Who eps available, and broadcast around here in MA has been limited (when it was broadcast, that is) to Tom Baker and Peter Davidson for the most part.

However, I think of the ones I have seen, Pyramids of Mars, The Warrior's Gate and The Talons of Weng-Chiang are my favs.

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed