The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Daleks invade my school! (Old photo...).
    The Daleks invade my school! (Old photo...).
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  (Spoilers) Christmas Invasion discussion
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    (Spoilers) Christmas Invasion discussion Views: 5310
     Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 08:08 AM EST
    Ok, here's my collective $0.02 worth:
    With science fantasy (as Tom Baker lovingly refers to Doctor Who) you really have to suspend disbelief more often than not... So even tho the pilot fish parts felt a bit tacked on and everything Sean said was spot-on, I still take it for what it is -- and at the end I think this has got to be one of my favorite episodes of Doctor Who thus far!

But that said, can someone explain to me how ever-so-effortlessly "MICKEY THE IDIOT" hacks into the government computers like it's no big deal...And from a phoneline no less!!? (That part was just plain bad; And since they were just moments from getting back to the TARDIS anyway, they really didn't have to have that part in the story. What did it serve the story?) Eek!

Over all, the tension was GREAT. Espcially the bits when we were waiting for people to jump. In my estimation, that's a pretty original act for an alien invasion. I actually enjoyed the Sycorax and can't wait for them to return... Oh yes, I'm sure they'll be back! SYCORAX ROCK!! (In the modern sense.) Cool

At first my wife wasn't too sure about David Tennant being the new Doctor. (I know it wasn't fair trying to gleen insight on what this new Doctor would be like from just the quick minute at the end of Partying Of The Ways.) And while the Children In Need special looked promising, I have to say nothing prepared us for the excellent The Christmas Invasion.

If anyone else is still hungry for more Tennant, I suggest getting a hold of the Secret Smile ITV movie that aired a couple weeks ago. (Yeah, it's still being torrented.)

...And don't forget the DW/Graske (red button) episode. I wish my cable provider was that cool...

One last thing about the filming of the Parting of the Ways and the CIN special:

David Tennant didn't film his closing sequence til months after Christopher Eccleston had wrapped. In fact, according to a BBC Radio special [that's also being torrented!] he filmed his parts a few months later "on a late night in April". All he had to act against was a piece of gaffer [duct?] tape that was supposed to be Rose's eyeline. Later they recorded the CIS special with Billie Piper.

So the complete regeneration sequence of the 2 Doctors and the prequel to the Christmas Invasion was really 3 differently filmed shots... They did a damn good job making it look like one contious piece. Razz

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 09:32 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    And her sister had a robot kitten named K-10... (OK, I will stop.) Mr. Green

Cheers,
    Louis

Louis, do you mean something like this?

(*whistles innocently again*)

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 10:08 AM EST
    While I saw the flaws with the episode, such as the unexplained Santas and the Killer Tree, I also agree with some that suspension of belief is a must. IT IS science fantasy, as a wise, much loved man has said. My comments here will be more geared toward David Tennant's performance.
    I had seen the children in need broadcast and was instantly hooked on this new doctor. I had loved doctor number nine, and the quiet intensity that he brought to the role, and while I had seen Tennant in a few things (Harry Potter, the show about Blackpool, I think, the name escapes me) I was far from sure that he would be satisfactory. But as soon as I saw the children in need special, my mind was set at ease. He had hair (big hair), sideburns, and....a mole....and I was instantly hooked on this new, funny doctor. He clearly didn't take himself that seriously.
    Now, after having seen the Christmas Invasion, I am stunned by how much more I like him after an hour. I am going to go out on a limb here, and say that I think that Tennant is going to give Tom Baker a run for his money. Wait, don't throw anything at me yet. Let me explain. The thing that most of us Tom Baker fans love about Tom Baker is his quirkiness, tongue firmly planted in cheek, I know something you don't know bravado, his flippancy in the face of evil (i.e. the Jagaroth). Well, now Tennant has all that too.
    Calling the lead Sycorax "big fella" made me laugh out loud. His little aside from the Lion King was priceless. But I also loved that he is going to be more hands on and physical. After he beats the leader of the Sycorax and spares his life (which, let's face it, is what we knew the doctor would do) I was a bit suprised to see him send the bloke over the ledge with the satsuma. No second chances indeed, I could get used to this. So we have learned that this tenth doctor is just like the others in his pacifism, but for the first time since Pertwee, the doctor seems to have no problems getting his hands dirty when the situation calls for it (I know that Baker, Davison, Baker II, McCoy, McGann, and Eccleston were physical, but this was like action-man territory, and I haven't seen that since Pertwee's UNIT stories).
    So all in all, I think that we are in for one heck of a ride. Especially as Tennant has all but said that he will be around for more than one series. This is a wonderful time to be a fan of Doctor Who.
    Cheers.

Heath Holland

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 11:30 AM EST
    But as for sending him over the edge with a satsuma, I mean... where did that come from? Did that big red button have a sign on it saying "Breakaway Ship Edge Right Where The Leader Is Lying"?

I found that to be the hardest part to suspend my disbelief over.

Yes, it's fantasy, but you can't suspend disbelief of everything. There are limits.

I just watched King Kong this past weekend, and my suspension of disbelief was not merely broken, but shattered beyond repair at a 15 minute battle scene where Kong is holding a fragile woman in his huge hand, smashing her about all over the place, fighting off a handful of tyrannosaurs, she's being tossed from hand to hand to foot back to hand, fallen over a ravine, hung in vines, and - not a scratch on her face, let alone broken neck and every other bone.

You just have to say sometimes - woah... back it up. You went that much too far.

In this episode, they go that much too far a couple of times. The satsuma button was the last straw.

Look, I still love the episode, for what it was - a flawed gift. I still like the gift. But I can't deny its flaws.

- No blood on a sliced-off hand. (Although, a second viewing does show a hand falling to earth with the sword)
    - A suspended plot about kidnapping the Doctor by Christmasy villains
    - Defeating a villain by tossing an orange at a convenient button which collapses a tiny portion of a city-sized ship just where the leader of the Sycorax was standing, about to stab the Doctor in the back.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 12:03 PM EST
    The Sycorax were there to do the same thing the Slitheen were there to do, make a quick buck. For them, it involved selling half the population of the planet as slaves...

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 12:12 PM EST

In addition to the obvious Star Wars and Hitchhikers homages, there was also a nod to Star Trek. The scenes in the Sycorax ship reminded me of those episodes/movies dealing with the Kingon High Council, down to the laughing and screaming and layered tiers of observers. That and the challange to single combat.

On the point of no blood... maybe the Doctor's blood clots very quickly Smile , or the explanation he gave for the regrowth is enough to take care of that (for those of us willing to suspend a little disbelief now and then).

Taras

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 01:04 PM EST
    I was thinking of Star Trek when BBC Radio 4 did an interview with the actor who played the Sycorax leader and asked him to say his lines and they bore more than a passing resemblance to Klingon. It wasn't as noticeable in the transmitted episode it was in the radio interview.

Thinking on, the Doctor winning the day with a satsuma was a nice sort of Christmassy (and very silly) touch, bearing in mind what he says about satsumas. Since it was Christmas I was inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on that (and the Christmas Tree) for having the sheer cheek to do it.

But I was with you, Sean, on the bit where he threw the satsuma at the button to kill the captain. Having a bit of your ship that opens up and drops you off the edge has to be a bit of a design flaw - a bit like having a button in your space station office that allows you to open the sun shields and toast the entire room and you along with it.

In fact perhaps the captain wasn't going to attack the Doctor at all. Maybe he was just thinking "oh bugger I'm on that stupid bit that opens up and drops you off the edge. I'd better just run holding this sword over my head so I can see where I'm going" and the Doctor misread the situation and thought "that's it! Satsumas for you matey!" - oh the irony!!! Wink

[Quote  by:  PolyphonicAsthma] But that said, can someone explain to me how ever-so-effortlessly "MICKEY THE IDIOT" hacks into the government computers like it's no big deal...And from a phoneline no less!!?

Hey, come on! NORAD let's you track Santa doesn't it?! And strictly speaking Mickey hacked into the UNIT computers, which is pretty easy if you go via the BBC website. Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 01:05 PM EST
    Has the Doctor ever bled in any of the series?? Maybe he just doesn't bleed?

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 02:15 PM EST
    Maybe he has a circulatory bypass in addition to a respiratory bypass... with two hearts...

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 06:03 PM EST

Did any of our UK watchers pick up on the Guinevere One Mars probe as a dig on the Beagle lander?

Also: In the comentary track there is a mention of not having voodoo or magic in the classic series. I think Image of the Fendahl is the exception to that.

And another homage: Babylon 5 the 6 words line:

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things. Fourteen words to make someone fall in love with you forever, seven words to make them go without pain, how to say goodbye to a friend who is dying, how to be poor, how to be rich, how to rediscover dreams when the world has stolen them from you." - Elric the Technomage

RTD ups the ante on JMS by cutting the words by one! Smile

Taras

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 06:31 PM EST
    My favourite line from the programme had to be:

"Look at these people, these human beings; consider their potential. From the day they arrive on the planet and blinking step into the sun, there is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than.. - no, hold on - .......no, that's The Lion King...but the point still stands."

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 10:34 PM EST
    Polyphonic wrote-

[Quote Ok, here's my collective $0.02 worth:
    With science fantasy (as Tom Baker lovingly refers to Doctor Who) you really have to suspend disbelief more often than not... So even tho the pilot fish parts felt a bit tacked on and everything Sean said was spot-on, I still take it for what it is -- and at the end I think this has got to be one of my favorite episodes of Doctor Who thus far!

I'm glad you mentioned this. After reading your post, I went back to mine and thought "what a whiner!" I miss the feeling of excitement I used to have when I first started watching Doctor Who back when I was 12. I was never this jaded and nitpicky. I'm going to watch the Christmas Invasion again, and this time I'm going to make myself behave!

Making sure I don't miss the best bits this time...

Cyn

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 28 2005 @ 12:59 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Dangermouse] Will the Doctor wear glasses sometimes?!

DM,

From the hints in the commentary track with a special stress on the "I haven't seen with these eyes" line, I would think that the Doctor may have to occassionally don specs.

Taras

Wednesday, December 28 2005 @ 04:00 AM EST
    I've been desperate to post on here since I saw it!

My missus got me a Sonic Screw Driver and I was making her laugh by prentending to be creating the on-screen action ...you had to be there!

I was a tad disappointed by the holes in the story (as mentioned before) but overall I thought it was FANTASTIC! The reworked music was great and I loved the H2G2 refererences - espcially when he referred to Arther Dent as a nice chap!

I have a few things I look forward to getting answers to in the next series:

1 - Is the modified music going to stay?

2- Will the Doctor wear glasses sometimes?!

Oh yes - those are the big issues!

Lots of comedy moments, plenty of action, and some fantastic dialogue. The Doctor is back! Big Grin

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 28 2005 @ 03:12 PM EST
    I hope the Cybermen don't tease him

"Doctor Speccy four-eyes".

That would be childish and cruel!

Cheers Tarashnat - I'll check out the commentary. Wink

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored