The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Me & My Snow Dalek
    Me & My Snow Dalek
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  Favorite Villian
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Favorite Villian Views: 1142
     Sunday, July 17 2005 @ 01:17 AM EDT
    Hey everyone! I figured since we had a poll for favorite Doctor, that I'd start a thread for favorite villian. There are so many to choose from as well. Daleks, Cybermen, The Master, Omega, Ice Warriors, Silurians, Sontarans, Autons, Sliveen, and the list goes on. I'd like to hear from the Doctor Who fans on this board who their favorite villians are. Which villians people feel were the most affective, added the most to the series, and were the greatest threat to the Doctor. I hope to get a bunch of responses on this. Post away!

"Hero! I should have been a God!"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 17 2005 @ 04:07 AM EDT

Excellent topic!

Yes, there have been so many villains over the years... from Autons to Zygons!

The ones that work best I feel are those that have some sort of reasoning and motive for doing what they are doing. Whether it is Count Scarlioni (Julian Glover) in City of Death... It doesn't necessarily mean they are my favorites, but they tend to work best as opposed to villains that are evil for the sake of being evil.

Some villains just work because of actor/actress playing the part sells it. Such as Valentine Dale playing the Black Guardian. While the notion of Black and White Guardians may not really fly in my opinion, Dale really has a screen presence for the part during the whole Turlough story arc.

Roger Delgardo as The Master... Wow. He really pulled it off I think. This is someone I would be nervous taking an elevator ride with alone. (Though in real life, RD was a very sweet person as others have accounted that worked with him before his untimely death). He I would say is my favorite Master.

Bruce Purchase playing the Captain in The Pirate Planet is another example of marrying the right actor with the right part. His and The Doctor's confrontational exchange is fairly impressive.

Well one can go on and on here...

Without any rhyme or reason, here are some of my favorite villains:

Cybermen
    The Master (Delgardo)
    Ogrons (they are not real deep, but make good henchmen)
    Sea Devils/Silurians
    Sontarians
    Sharaz Jek
    Omega
    hmm... I am sure there others... Other than the ones I previously mentioned in this posting, I am sure there are many others that left out... such as Zygons (for their organic space craft)...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, July 17 2005 @ 12:55 PM EDT
    My favorite villians would have to be the Cybermen. They've got an established history, and a clear motive. Its not that they're evil, its that their need to survive exceeds all others. Their second objective is to turn all other humans and beings into cybermen/cybernoids. As well as securing more homeworlds in order to spread the cyberrace. Also, the way the cybermen have been used in the show has shown them both as lackies (though they have their own agenda) and as the main aggressors from the begining. Sometimes few in number, and sometimes enough to take over a planet. Sometimes with their Cyberleader, othertimes not. They've been partially responsible for the first doctor's regeneration, the death of Adric, have broken into the Tardis on more than one occasion, and have been encountered throughout time by the Doctor. Even coming back for more after their home planet was destroyed. Gotta love those cybermen.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 17 2005 @ 03:53 PM EDT

Yes, that is why I included the Cybermen in my list. The story and concept of the Cybermen is a great one. Thankfully, the show has constantly evolved their 'look' to make their appearance more convincing.

The concept worked so well that the Cybermen must have served as the 'inspiration' for (if not the down right copy of) the Borg in Star Trek. Once again, DW was ahead of it's time.

And I don't think we have seen the last of them either Wink

Monday, July 18 2005 @ 11:03 PM EDT
    My favorite villain is the Master as played by the late great Anthony Ainley (perhaps because he's the one I had in mind when I wrote "I Am The Master")...

Happiness is a warm K9
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 22 2005 @ 10:47 PM EDT
    The Cybermen, Autons, Sea Devils.

"There comes a time, Timelord, when every lonely little boy must learn how to dance"

Tuesday, July 26 2005 @ 01:53 AM EDT
    Hey Ken. I know why you like the Cybermen and all, but could you elaborate on why you like the Autons and the Sea Devils? I think they're awesome too, but I'd love to know why you think so. Thanks.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 03:46 PM EST
    The Master was the best villian (even if you have to put up with Survival and the TV movie).

Twisted Evil

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 05:05 PM EST
    hey, everybody, I'm new and glad to be here.
    For me, my favorite villain was a one-off baddie. I loved Sutek (spelling?), from Pyramids of Mars. That was my introduction to doctor who, and I love the thought of an alien that has wormed its way into earth mythology as a higher being. I also love the Daleks and the Cybermen, etc, but Sutek was only seen the one time, as far as I am aware, and because of that, he is a little bit more special to me. I loved the traps and puzzles that the Doctor had to figure out before he could get to Sutek's lair/prison. Whereas the cybermen and daleks, and even autons, etc had elaborate backstories of their planet, it was cool to me that Sutek was connected to Earth's past, representing an Egyptian god, which gives him a little bit more of a personal connection to our reality. It doesn't feel as inaccessable as the previous aliens becuase we have all of these hieroglyphics of this Egyptian deity dating back thousands of years.
    Who else besides Sutek would have those cool robotic mummies as his grunts? The Master? I don't think so. Hey, Russell T Davies, bring back Sutek. Ralp Fiennes, anyone?

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 08:19 PM EST

Eldrad must live! Twisted Evil

Eldrad-Evil Genius of the Month!

All hail Kastria!

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, December 24 2005 @ 08:15 PM EST
    As a kid, I always thought Syl was freakin' CREAPY. Especially that lusty sound he makes with his tongue. Yikes! Twisted Evil

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 26 2005 @ 11:36 PM EST
    What a question!

I'm a Dalek fan. I like the backstory, and even though Davros is over the top, he and his pepperpots almost always guarantee a good show. I think the story "Dalek" from the new series really solidifies how incredibly frightening they are.

I also love Roger Delgado as the Master. I grew up with Anthony Ainley, and while he was quite good, Roger Delgado stole every scene he was in. He took an eventually overusued character and still managed to use his talent to make him menacing. As a contrast, just think of Travis in Blake's 7. He was a terrific character in the beginning who quickly lost any sort of clout after a few appearances.

As for my favorite giggle-inducing villians, the orange bubble-wrap beasts of Omega's in the Three Doctors win, though they are closely followed by the hissing Green Death maggots. What, you thought I was going to pick the Creature from the Pit? Seriously, I have standards you know...

Cyn

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 02:50 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  PolyphonicAsthma] As a kid, I always thought Syl was freakin' CREAPY. Especially that lusty sound he makes with his tongue. Yikes! Twisted Evil

I think that is exactly what they were going after with the character, so I would say they succeeded.

Sil... a greedy slimy tongue-waggling slug... but lovable... but not huggable (OK, now I know I am over-exhausted Laughing Out Loud ).

Cheers,
    Louis

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic