The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Eugene Washington
    Eugene Washington
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Paul McGann Era »  Completely missed it....
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Completely missed it.... Views: 2082
     Wednesday, June 27 2007 @ 09:59 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]. . . I believe that Who produced in America would have had a longer lasting negative effect . . .
    Based upon what?

The horrible job the American team did of casting McGann? The plot of the pilot being so infinitely worse than the plot of "Rose" or "The Tribe of Gum"? The massively inappropriate TARDIS interior? The frank admission that the Doctor probably has a romantic side? The ambiguity of "the half-human thang"?

Seems to me the current Series 3 has, at very many different points, been about answering a number of the very hard questions the TVM asked about the mythos. It's not a perfect story, by any means, but it showed Doctor Who as capable of delivering emotionally valid moments. I could've gone for a lot more of TVM-inspired DW. Especially since Paul McGann says he liked the direction Segal seemed to be heading with the Doctor, and that this journey was what made McGann make a 5-year commitment to the part.

I simply don't buy that DW is and can only be a British product, because it's not and never has been the exclusive creation of artists from just one country. Sidney Newman was a Canadian, whose success, especially with regard to DW, came from bucking British trends, not upholding them. It's about an incredibly humane non-human with his time machine. Other than that, it can be anything, written by anyone. The essential traits of the Doctor aren't British; they're scientific and humanitarian.

Will Smith could be the Doctor and I'd watch. Virtually anyone from the West Wing cast—but especially Allison Janney—could be the Doctor, and I'd watch. Edward James Olmos could be the Doctor and I'd watch. Robin Williams, for all intents and purposes, already has been the Doctor in so many different roles. Seriously, anyone with charisma and decent acting chops can be the Doctor.

That's quite different than saying that it should be produced outside the UK. It'll never happen so long as the BBC tightly controls it, and that's good. I'm glad the British have their signature SF show. They desrve it. But to suggest that a Doctor or a writer from another part of the world couldn't give an immensely watchable product is . . . an unusual statement to make about a show that's so massively open-formatted.

If Aaron Sorkin or Joss Whedon or Quentin Tarantino or Jeph Loeb or Tim Kring or someone of their ilk sent in a script for Doctor Who, would we really not want to see it produced?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, June 27 2007 @ 10:14 PM EDT

Ok, several valid points. But when looking at the production of the show, (IMO Only) American producers make choices that kill the script or if they somehow gain a clue of how not to Over Americanize it the network execs WILL cancel a show with inteligent writing unless it shows PHENOMINAL numbers. I just don't see how under the status quo (1996 or 2007) that Who could surive being produced here.

Just my opinion, and hey I like McGann and dislike Roberts we all have opinions here,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, June 27 2007 @ 10:29 PM EDT
    Ohhhh, you mean "practical reality of getting it produced on an American broadcast network". That's a whole different kettle of fish. And, yeah, I'd totally agree with you there. Can't see that ever happening—until being ABC or NBC means something quite narrower than what it did/does. Course, I say that, but I never would've thought Heroes could work. I never would've thought we'd see the day that Jaime Sommers would return to prime time NBC. It's a fairly good time, these days, to be a show that's a little fantastic. Could work, on network TV, but you'd prolly have to lose the BEMs.

If you're talking about any American network doing it, though, that's something else. I'd tend to think that it could be an HBO or a USA thing, without any great damage to the mythos—although it might not be a family show anymore. Some might argue that means it's not Doctor Who anymore, but I dunno.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Wednesday, June 27 2007 @ 10:37 PM EDT
    I don't know why people have a problem with the TVM's reveal that the Doctor was half-human. It never bothered me and kinda of explained the feelings the Doctor had for Earth throughout the series. Also it shows the Doctor might not be the only renegade in his family,

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 27 2007 @ 11:15 PM EDT
    For the most part, I agree with the many strong points put forth by DarthSkeptical. I'm well sure an American team COULD produce a quality Who product. But I also think that there's a certain British charm and quirky humor that the classic and new series possess... something that would necessarily be absent from an American produced series. Even the TVM itself seemed to acknowledge the British-ness of the whole thing by ascribing an English nationality to the Doctor ("English? I suppose I am").

I think that the series is, in fact, very much rooted in the British culture that produced it...while at the same time absorbing outside influences and transcending those roots. Lots of great literature does this as well. Shakespeare, Swift, and Dickens are all quintessentially English for their times in many ways...but they also manage to find the universal and subvert those roots, and arguably that's one reason they continue to endure and inspire.

If you haven't read the "About Time" books published by Mad Norwegian, then you might want to give them a look. That is, if you're the kind of masochistic individual like myself who enjoys reading critical analyses of your favorite (and not so favorite) episodes. I think they do an admirable job of contextualizing the classic series episodes and exploring the influences of British culture at the time the episodes were made.

It's also interesting that today's series very proudly displays its British banner. I think I read somewhere that the series is almost a postcard for the British Isles, giving visibility to its major landmarks and nods to its historic figures. But equally interesting is that the new series has obviously absorbed influences of American (and/or Global) television and popular culture. And that's not always a bad thing.

Okay...I got a bit off track there and maybe went on a bit too seriously about what is after all just a TV show. :-) Gotta run....

Cheers,
    Shawn

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 27 2007 @ 11:32 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]... I never would've thought we'd see the day that Jaime Sommers would return to prime time NBC...

Wait a second... Are you saying that The Bionic Woman is coming back to television?

Really? If so --> Wow. I don't follow American television all that closely so I had no idea.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, June 27 2007 @ 11:40 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]... I never would've thought we'd see the day that Jaime Sommers would return to prime time NBC...

Wait a second... Are you saying that The Bionic Woman is coming back to television?

Really? If so --> Wow. I don't follow American television all that closely so I had no idea.

Cheers,
    Louis

Here's the IMDB
    (I'm slightly scared, but Galactica turned out OK, so maybe...)

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 02:59 AM EDT
    Yah, Jaime's back. It was publically unveiled, appropriately enough, at the end of the final episode of Heroes. Since then, NBC has gone to town on their website, giving something like 20 minutes of the first episode away for free. They've been slightly retooling the main trailer each day for a few days now. I think it looks really good. The pilot seems an energetic blend of the original (pre-Oscar Goldman) pilot for The Six Million Dollar Man (there were an amazing three pilots for the show!), along with elements of "The Bionic Woman" episodes of The Six Million Dollar Man.

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 05:15 AM EDT
    Yeah, it stars Michelle Ryan, who used to play Zoe Slater in Eastenders. Hopefully it will be less depressing than Eastenders though (mind you, Platoon was less depressing than Eastenders is these days).

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 07:35 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] Yeah, it stars Michelle Ryan, who used to play Zoe Slater in Eastenders. Hopefully it will be less depressing than Eastenders though (mind you, Platoon was less depressing than Eastenders is these days).

Here's the Bionic Women trailer

object width="425" height="350">

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 07:54 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I've always really liked the TVM. The core plot's definitely lacking, but I really like how it feels. I like pretty much everything about the TVM except for the mumbo jumbo about the atomic clock.

And honestly I like Eric Roberts better than Anthony Ainley. I predict, in fact, that new fans of the show going back to watch the TVM for the first time will wonder what the hell all these old fans had against Eric Roberts. I think the clear contrast between Simm and Jacobi will make people appreciate Roberts as falling within the spectrum of possible Masters.

I was really happy to see Eric Roberts get his props in the Confidential. They could have completely blown him off and not interviewed him for the Master retrospective. I thought it was great that they allowed him to take part.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 01:15 PM EDT
    Did they actually interview him for Confidential, though? Roberts looked so young in those interviews, they seemed like they were drawn from around the time he actually did the TVM.

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 04:36 PM EDT
    For those who are interested in finally catching the TV movie (like me), it will be shown on UKTV Drama as part of an extra-long Doctor Who weekend on 14-15 June. TVM will be shown at 1.15 on 15 June.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 08 2007 @ 05:23 PM EDT
    I hated it back in '96, but saw it again a year or so ago. I have to agree with DarthSkeptical, too, that Eric Roberts is a much better Master when seen alongside Delgado, Ainley, Jacobi, and Simm. The scene where he kills his real-life wife ("Don't call me 'honey,' call me Master!") is classic.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored