The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Petrol Station TARDIS
    Petrol Station TARDIS
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Paul McGann Era »  Big Finish Audios and Charley Pollard
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Big Finish Audios and Charley Pollard Views: 2551
     Tuesday, June 06 2006 @ 09:46 PM EDT
    I have to say, that since there was only the one movie with Paul McGann I really have been enjoying the Big Finish stories with him. I can't decide if I like Charley Pollard, though. I started out liking her enough. I'm up to Creed of the Kromon now, and I think she's starting to grate a little on me, though. And they really were pushing the love relationship heavy in Scherzo (I think) which may be why I'm liking her a little less. I mean, I know it's audio so they can't rely on looks and facial expressions to show emotion. How do other people feel about the McGann audios and Charley?

(side note: I've really only listened to the McGann audios for some reason. I really need to try listening to some of the other Doctor stories, too)

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 06 2006 @ 10:03 PM EDT
    I have found until recently that the McGann series has suffered a little from weak storylines and having heard just about all of the BF audios I tend towards Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy who seem to have consistantly better stories. The love angle with Charlie will diminish as the episodes progress and the new companion has an effect. During this period the episodes went from reasonable to ok.

They will get stronger and in my opinion Timeworks was the best story of the 8th Doctor episodes and one of the best of them all.

I have sent a review of The Kingmaker (5th Doctor) to Louis and I hope that he will see fit to publish it in the reviews section when time allows. I am currently working on a review for the Settling (latest release 7th Doctor) and I hope to review most of the others in due course even if it only keeps up to date with new releases. I know that sounds confusing but there are now 82 seperate stories and keeping up to date with new issues may be all I have the time for. I will try to give a feeling for the episodes rather than killing them with spoilers.

Forget the shooty dog thing!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, June 06 2006 @ 10:14 PM EDT
    I must say that I enjoy the 8th Doctor Audios greatly though I am getting a little fed up with them all being time paradoxes (sp?). I realise there is a reason for this hopefully now I am past Neverland this will cease - we will see once I listen I reach the next PM story. I particularly enjoyed Storm Warning, the sword of orion, the chimes of midnight and Embrace the Darkness. I like Charlie, though she seems much too familiar with modern technology than a person from her era should.

I have also enjoyed the 6th Doctor audios greatly which is surprising since I don't like his television episodes at all (even though I seem to more of them on VHS/DVD than any other doctor - thanks to my wife giving me trial of a timelord for xmas one year and the two doctors another.) However stay clear of the talking penguin episodes.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 06 2006 @ 10:30 PM EDT
    I agree with the talking penquin references and will include pirates.

In fact, Kingmaker got an absolute slating from me because comedy is something you either get or you don't and when Dr Who meets Monty Python, I don't!

The only 6th doctor episode (without pirates of birds) that has disapointed me so far was pier pressure.

I expected much more from this episode with the author also being the author of the very excellent Burke and Hare storyline medicinal purposes. Instead we found a Doctor fighting an alien enemy who wasn't named or explained.

The reason I tend to favour the 6th and 7th Doctors is they have taken the opportunities offered by BF to cast off their shakey television personas and establish themselves as their own Doctor.

Tuesday, June 06 2006 @ 10:32 PM EDT

I didn't care much for the "Divergent Universe arc", but the comissioning of the TV series caused them to return to our universe a bit earlier than they planned. Though that return was a little shakey. There were a few decent stories in that arc, though. With the exception of the recent Time Works, nothing in the eighth Doctor line has approached Chimes of Midnight. Not that there are any down right klunkers, either, with the possible exception of Minuet In Hell it is just that most of the eighth Doctor range seems like a grand experiment, which undoubtebly it was.

As for Charley, I feel that she has reached the limit of her development as a character. I think that it is time for the Eighth Doctor line to get shaken up a bit, maybe with a change of companions.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, June 06 2006 @ 11:00 PM EDT
    I think that there a couple of story arcs that are due to pay off with both the 7th and 8th Doctors.

They are working in several clues to the past of C'ruz and they may affect the Doctor and Charlies relationship.

In the 7th Doctor series we are now at the 2nd consecutive episode where one or both of the companions have been tortured so some shake ups could be in the works

Tuesday, June 06 2006 @ 11:26 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf] I think that there a couple of story arcs that are due to pay off with both the 7th and 8th Doctors.

Do the stories of the various Doctors interweave at all? I mean, I know there was the Excelis story with the 5th, 6th, and 7th but I just expected that the various storylines would be separate. It never occurred to me that they may relate to each other. Should I be listening to them in actual release order instead of just focusing on one Doctor?

(woo-hoo..I finally figured out the darn quote thing)

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 06 2006 @ 11:46 PM EDT
    Congrats on the quote thing.

The answer is both yes and no.

The quote that you used refers to differing storys.

But there are instances where BF like to weave a very long story arc. The episodes that you are listening to at this moment were first referenced in episode 23 (I think that is right Taras will correct me is it is not) which was the 6th Doctor in Project Twilight. The Doctor recites the Zagraus poem without realising what brought it into his head.

Project Twilight seems to have been a rich vein for BF because the story continues in episode 45 where the both 6th and 7th doctors return to the same problems.

The fallout from Project Twilight continues in episode 67 Thicker than Water when the 7th Doctor appears in a 6th Doctor story to impart some news to the 6th Doctors companion.

Storylines from both episode 1 (5th, 6th and 7th Doctors) and episode 7 (7th Doctor) appear in in the Daleks series.

The thing about BF stories is that you're never sure when something is being set up for later.

I have always liked to listen to them in episodic order for those reasons

Tuesday, June 06 2006 @ 11:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    I didn't care much for the "Divergent Universe arc", but the comissioning of the TV series caused them to return to our universe a bit earlier than they planned. Though that return was a little shakey. There were a few decent stories in that arc, though. With the exception of the recent Time Works, nothing in the eighth Doctor line has approached Chimes of Midnight. Not that there are any down right klunkers, either, with the possible exception of Minuet In Hell it is just that most of the eighth Doctor range seems like a grand experiment, which undoubtebly it was.

As for Charley, I feel that she has reached the limit of her development as a character. I think that it is time for the Eighth Doctor line to get shaken up a bit, maybe with a change of companions.

Taras

I have to disagree on the clunkers comment I think Other Lives was exceptionally poor but I do agree about the Divergant Universe.

As this has taken up a large proportion of 8th Doctor time it is one of the reasons I said that his storylines have been weaker.

Timeworks and Chimes Of Midnight are the standouts with the dalek/shakespere story being a close runner up if only for the fun of hearing daleks quote shakespere Big Grin

Wednesday, June 07 2006 @ 07:59 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf] Timeworks and Chimes Of Midnight are the standouts with the dalek/shakespere story being a close runner up if only for the fun of hearing daleks quote shakespere Big Grin

The Time of the Daleks was strange. I mostly enjoyed it for its oddness, but that whole creating time tunnels by hooking up equipment to mirrors thing took some major suspension of disbelief. And when the Doctor created one by hooking up the equipment to a flattened sheet of sandwich foil I might have rolled my eyes a little.

Rolling Eyes

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 07 2006 @ 02:37 PM EDT
    IMHO the character of Charlie jumped the shark after Neverland and has been a bit crap ever since. Actually, I've found the whole eight doctor range to be lacking since Terra Firma. I think that tardis crew could use a shake up.

[Quote  by:  Linquel](side note: I've really only listened to the McGann audios for some reason. I really need to try listening to some of the other Doctor stories, too)

Thatís how I got started with Big Finish too. There are some outstanding audios featuring the other doctors. Especially the sixth doctor.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 07 2006 @ 06:52 PM EDT
    Sorry,

Although I have not been a big fan of the 8th doctor series I think timeworks was excellent.

Wednesday, June 07 2006 @ 11:00 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf] Sorry,

Although I have not been a big fan of the 8th doctor series I think timeworks was excellent.

I really wanted to like that one. I loved the music and the sound design. The first episode had great potential, but I didn't connect with any of the guest characters. What kept me listening was a sort of "what the heck is going on?" sense of mystery, but I found the payoff to be a bit lame.

It's very listenable and certainly never dull, so I'm willing to relisten (unlike Pier Pressure).

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 07 2006 @ 11:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf] Timeworks and Chimes Of Midnight are the standouts with the dalek/shakespere story being a close runner up if only for the fun of hearing daleks quote shakespere Big Grin

The Time of the Daleks was strange. I mostly enjoyed it for its oddness, but that whole creating time tunnels by hooking up equipment to mirrors thing took some major suspension of disbelief. And when the Doctor created one by hooking up the equipment to a flattened sheet of sandwich foil I might have rolled my eyes a little.

Rolling Eyes

Daleks quoting Shakespere = GENIUS!

Heck I'd pay to see Daleks performing Shakespere. Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 07 2006 @ 11:42 PM EDT
    You don't have to just listen to the play Cool

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic