The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'The Caretaker' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 28th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 311 - 'Time Heist' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Doctor Who Buttons
    Doctor Who Buttons
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Paul McGann Era »  Big Finish Audios and Charley Pollard
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Big Finish Audios and Charley Pollard Views: 2596
     Monday, June 19 2006 @ 11:28 AM EDT
    Have to agree with the earlier assessment of "Chimes of Midnight" as unapproachably good. It's a fantastic episode. Quite claustrophobic; it gives a similar vibe to "Tooth and Claw".

The weird thing about a lot of Eighth Doctor audios is that McGann sometimes comes across as not really having thought that deeply about his performance. Honestly, sometimes I can hear him simply reading the lines. Never mind all the alternate timelines and pocket universes—McGann occasionally gives the vibe of someone just collecting a paycheck.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, October 16 2006 @ 11:23 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    The Time of the Daleks was strange. I mostly enjoyed it for its oddness, but that whole creating time tunnels by hooking up equipment to mirrors thing took some major suspension of disbelief. And when the Doctor created one by hooking up the equipment to a flattened sheet of sandwich foil I might have rolled my eyes a little.

Here I was thinking that the time traveling mirrors thing was something they came up with for the Time of the Daleks story by Big Finish. I was just flipping through my Doctor Who Programme Guide and happened to stop at the page for Evil of the Daleks and it says...

"The TARDIS is stolen from Gatwick Airport and driven off in a lorry. The Doctor and Jamie follow it to a Victoriana antique shop owned by Edward Waterfield. All three are transported back 100 years to the home of scientist Theodore Maxtible, who, with Waterfield's help, has devised a method of time-travel involving mirrors, static electricity - and the Daleks!"

I really get a kick at how much effort Big Finish puts into the continuity.

Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, October 17 2006 @ 06:16 PM EDT

And that same Evil of the Daleks...
    {series two spoiler}
    is where the Doctor gives names to a few Daleks. I feel this to be the genesis of the Cult of Skaro from the new series...
    {/series two spoiler}.
    It is one of the classic stories that shows how devious the Daleks can be. It's BBC audio release is worth the price just to hear the Daleks chant "Dizzy Dalek!" and have them play trains and roundabouts!!!

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, October 31 2006 @ 02:22 PM EST
    A perhaps unnecessarily whited-out response to the season two spoiler, above. Highlight to reveal.
    Oh I dunno about that. Named Daleks come from a story started when Hartnell was still the Doctor. Though we now tend to think of "Genesis of the Daleks" as the origin of the Daleks, it wasn't the first origin story ever told. In fact, David Whitaker's comic Dalek Chronicles from 1965 takes historical precedence. And though Terry Nation gets "created by" credit, and all the copyright, in fact most of the 1960s appearances of the Daleks were either co-written or wholly written by script editor David Whitaker. Thus Whitatker actually told the first origin story in the pages of the Dalek Chronicles.

In that telling of the origin story, the Daleks were always called "the Daleks", even when they were in full humanoid form. After they inhabited the pepperpots, some still retained individual names, and singular ambitions, like the red-and-gold Zeg.

It's therefore unsurprising that "Evil of the Daleks", also penned by Whitaker, has the suggestion of individuality lightly running through it. He definitely thought something bigger was going on with the organic side of a Dalek than Terry Nation seemed to imply. And it would seem that the current production team sides a bit more with Whitaker's philosophy than Nation's.

End unnecessarily whited-out text

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Sunday, February 04 2007 @ 02:23 PM EST
    First off, i want to say that I ADORE Charlie...but I do find myself becoming very bored with her character. I've not REALLY cared about her since "Terror Firma." I still like the character, but she seems to be in a holding pattern.

C'rizz however I love. He is a ticking timebomb of alien badness just waiting to explode. The buildup to this has been frustratingly long, but every story seems to take the tiniest little baby step forward.

Actually, what I'M frustrated with is the new BBC7 stories. It shows the Doctor without companions and makes me ache even more for the resolution of the C'Rizz story. Maybe Charley dies? Or maybe C'Rizz's murders and such makes her heartsick and drives her away at last.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 04 2007 @ 02:59 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  the_freak1978]Actually, what I'M frustrated with is the new BBC7 stories. It shows the Doctor without companions and makes me ache even more for the resolution of the C'Rizz story. Maybe Charley dies? Or maybe C'Rizz's murders and such makes her heartsick and drives her away at last.

I haven't listened to any of the BBC7 stories yet. Have they given any indication if the stories take place before or after the Charley/C'rizz stories?

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 04 2007 @ 05:00 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  the_freak1978] Actually, what I'M frustrated with is the new BBC7 stories. It shows the Doctor without companions [...]

Well, he does have a companion, just not one of his choice, though he does start alone. He left alone after the TV movie. And back in Storm Warning, he started alone as well.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, March 30 2007 @ 10:06 PM EDT
    Still working my way through the Eighth Doctor Audios. Started with the Lucie Miller series, and now I've gone back to the Charley stuff. As I said in the thread about the new series, Charley really got on my nerves during "Sword of Orion," but I was determined to keep an open mind. (If for no other reason than I already had all these episodes on my iPod, so I may as well listen to them!) Well, she's definitely grown on me.

I'm up to "Seasons of Fear" now (though my tracks were labelled wrong - I started with episode 2, and I fear that episode 4 is actually episode 1. But with such a circular story, it almost works anyway), and I'm really enjoying them. I save these for my commute (45 minutes - an hour each way) and they make the time go by wonderfully.

"Minuet in Hell" was utter crap. With all the Yosemite Sam voices, I thought we were in the American Old West till the Brigadier went on the Internet. And the demon saying "Bored now" made me realize the writer had seen one too many episodes of "Buffy."

But in the other extreme, "Chimes of Midnight" was nigh perfect. Just delicious to listen to all the way through. Funny and creepy and scary, and the end of the final episode had me just about in tears.

I take it back, Charley. I like you after all.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 30 2007 @ 10:39 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Jeneral] Still working my way through the Eighth Doctor Audios. Started with the Lucie Miller series, and now I've gone back to the Charley stuff. As I said in the thread about the new series, Charley really got on my nerves during "Sword of Orion," but I was determined to keep an open mind. (If for no other reason than I already had all these episodes on my iPod, so I may as well listen to them!) Well, she's definitely grown on me.

I'm up to "Seasons of Fear" now (though my tracks were labelled wrong - I started with episode 2, and I fear that episode 4 is actually episode 1. But with such a circular story, it almost works anyway), and I'm really enjoying them. I save these for my commute (45 minutes - an hour each way) and they make the time go by wonderfully.

"Minuet in Hell" was utter crap. With all the Yosemite Sam voices, I thought we were in the American Old West till the Brigadier went on the Internet. And the demon saying "Bored now" made me realize the writer had seen one too many episodes of "Buffy."

But in the other extreme, "Chimes of Midnight" was nigh perfect. Just delicious to listen to all the way through. Funny and creepy and scary, and the end of the final episode had me just about in tears.

I take it back, Charley. I like you after all.

Don't worry she will get to annoy you again when the Doctor reaches the alternative universe and after.

I think Charley has run her course and it was interesting that the new stuff for the BEEB with Lucy Miller seemed to refocus this Doctor who can lose his way with BF.

You should check out some of the other Doctors especially the 6th

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Saturday, March 31 2007 @ 08:57 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf]

I'm planning to, believe me. I've pretty much decided to listen to one Doctor at a time to avoid confusion. So once I've finished Eight, I'll go back and start with Five, then Six, then Seven.

And yeah, I'm sure she'll get on my nerves in the future. I'm fickle that way. But I'm not quite there yet.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 31 2007 @ 09:02 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Jeneral]

I'm planning to, believe me. I've pretty much decided to listen to one Doctor at a time to avoid confusion. So once I've finished Eight, I'll go back and start with Five, then Six, then Seven.

And yeah, I'm sure she'll get on my nerves in the future. I'm fickle that way. But I'm not quite there yet.

I found that the best way to listen was in order.

Some of the stories spawn story arcs which span multiple Doctors.

The alternative universe stories I mentioned above actually start at play 23 which is a sixth Doctor story and rope in the 7th before the getting to the 8th.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Monday, May 14 2007 @ 03:30 PM EDT
    Don't worry she will get to annoy you again when the Doctor reaches the alternative universe and after.

I think Charley has run her course and it was interesting that the new stuff for the BEEB with Lucy Miller seemed to refocus this Doctor who can lose his way with BF.

I agree. I liked her at first, & I'd go so far as to say she was really good, but now I find her quite annoying. Her posh mockney pseudo indignation (just made that up) at just about everything is bloody irritating.

[Quote  by:  BadWolf] You should check out some of the other Doctors especially the 6th

I think he's awesome on Big Finish. I really didn't like him when he took over, and it was at that point that I stopped watching, but by some distance I think he's the best audio Doctor.

Re Big Finish generally, I've never really listened to them in any particular order, and it works fine for me.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed