The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Timelord
    Timelord
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Paul McGann Era »  Great find - R101 Airship Paper model!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Great find - R101 Airship Paper model! Views: 4077
     Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 12:55 AM EDT
    Hey, guys, I was doing some research on the R101 airship (after listening to "Storm Warning", the Paul McGann Big Finish Audio) - (one of the best) - when I came across this!

My Doctor Who Fun Page - The Airship R101 Model Kit!

Download it and print it yourself on card stock, use a sharp X-Acto knife and glue, and build a model of the R101!

Note - This is actually a picture of the R100, the sister-ship, not the R101, but the difference is mostly the digit, and the fin-shape. And the engines are different. Otherwise fairly similar.

Also on the site are models for the shed the R101 (and the R100) was built in, and a mooring mast to park the ship!

I was overjoyed to see this! Paper modeling used to be one of my childhood hobbies!

And now we can have a physical R101 to play with! (Gently, probably!)

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 10:20 AM EDT
    Hey Sean,

The R-101 must have crashed! All the pictures have disappeared - on your website too. Are you hotlinking and someone has cut the link?

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 11:57 AM EDT
    Yeah. The guy probably has remote image linking turned off on his server. Just go to the links, and you'll find the stuff there.

I'll download the pictures tonight and host them on my own server, and then they'll work.

Sean.

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 08:20 PM EDT
    Fixed the pictures. The links were always good, but now the pictures are there.

By the way, the R100 is a bit different than the R101, and most noticeably in the fin section, and the engines are different, but they're tiny, so hard to discern the difference.

The image of Storm Warning seems dead, but that's only because for some reason tonight I can't get to the Big Finish web site.

By the way, I almost completed construction on the R101 paper model, and it looks quite nice! I've only got the 5 engines and vanes to put on, and they're so tiny I have no idea how I'm going to do it... the finished engine should be about 7mm in length, and are made of something like 8-10 parts each!!! Miniscule pieces!

But other than that, it's all together, and looks pretty good.

Sean.

Thursday, June 29 2006 @ 04:52 AM EDT
    hi there.
    been reading this and a bit more info for you on the two ships.

there are quite a few differences between the two but we wont worry about those just yet.

i grew up in cardington in view of the sheds (there are two of them) and also grew up on the history of the R101 too, enough to join in the end the airship herritage trust.

their website is full of info on the ship with even video clips of both the R101 and R100, and even have details on the planned bigger R102.

www.airshipsonline.com

http://www.airshipsonline.com/

trev
    airship and dr who fan Surprised!

Thursday, June 29 2006 @ 09:39 AM EDT
    Yes, Trevor, I've seen some great photos online of the two sheds, and there were a lot of differences between the R100 and R101, both being built by two different groups, but they were similar in many visual ways.

I would love to see those sheds. They must be massive. The airship itself was around 700 feet long, and I know (from the paper model of the shed) that the shed is quite a bit longer.

(I wonder if those sheds were owned by Arthur Johnson... Hmmmm...)

Thanks for the web link! I've been looking for more info on the ships, and that may be where to go.

I also found a great link to a PDF file about the R100 and R101 in St. Hubert, in Canada, and some good pics of the mooring post there. (WHich I believe was eventually torn down, so doesn't exist anymore... from what little info I've been able to glean on the web.)

WHat I'm most curious about is the internal areas of the dirigibles. When I told a colleague about the passenger areas she assumed, as do many, I'm sure, that the entire upper body is a gas bag, which of course isn't true. The passenger accommodations are all up there, with windows, passenger rooms, etc, and I know the entrance to the dirigible is just under the nose tip.

I saw a great photo of the entrance hatchway open on the mooring mast, captioned something like "It took daring even to board the R101" or some such...

Glad I found the site. I've always been fascinated with airships, which may be why I really liked "Thunderbird 6" so much, and why I loved the "Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel" episodes.

Sean.

Thursday, June 29 2006 @ 10:25 AM EDT
    hi there
    well your right about the internal space, good page on the AHT site showing this is here http://www.airshipsonline.com/airships/interior/index.html

the R101 bit is here

http://www.airshipsonline.com/airships/interior/R101Interior.htm

gives details of both ships interiors

heres a link to the cardington page, the sheds in the mist pic was done by my dad.
    http://www.airshipsonline.com/sheds/Cardington.htm

and all the imperial airship scheam sites are shown here

http://www.airshipsonline.com/sheds/index.html

also as to the mooring mast, i have been to the site of the cardington mooring mast, the mast was taken down during the war but the whinch sheds at the bottom and the huge concrete base is there, hard to imagine now but there would have been a huge mast 210ft in the air towering above you, and attached to that the largest british aircraft ever made, the R101, 777ft long. the R100 was a little smaller.

trev
    p.s loved those two epesodes too, little bit of artistic licence on the handling but brilliant to see londons skies filled with airships. barrage ballons last series, airships this series, whats next, a trip to canada on the R100?, I dont think that will happen lol.

Tuesday, August 22 2006 @ 09:23 AM EDT
    the bbc are having a vote for brittish unsung landmarks, cardington is doing well, if you wish to vote follow this link
    http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4791577.stm?dynamic_vote=ON#vote_4792379

trev
    www.airshipsonline.com

Friday, August 25 2006 @ 11:57 AM EDT
    right, cardington airship sheds made the last eight finnalists.

to vote for cardington follow this link.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5285236.stm?dynamic_vote=ON#vote_5285236

trev

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed