The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Podshocker's after Who at the Cavern 3
    Podshocker's after Who at the Cavern 3
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Christopher Eccleston Era »  Region 1 DVDs delayed
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Region 1 DVDs delayed Views: 4091
     Wednesday, January 11 2006 @ 08:08 AM EST
    I don't see this anywhere else on here, but outpost gallifrey is reporting that the region one dvds have been postponed due to "complications." No new date has been revealed, it seems.
    I, for one, am horrified by this, and I am wondering what complications they could be talking about. They should be straight region conversions with exactly the same content as the U.K. editions, correct? Isn't that the new policy? Hate to be the bearer of bad news. Maybe when we get them, they will be even better. Who knows.

Heath Holland
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, January 11 2006 @ 10:47 AM EST

There was a glitch on the region 2 discs. Maybe clearing that up caused other issues. Also, this could be a rights issue. Or a deal for broadcast may be immanent and the potential broadcaster asked for a delay (one can hope Smile ). Who knows what is going on? It wouldn't be the first time there was a major foul up with the DVD line. Web Planet's release in the UK was delayed.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, January 11 2006 @ 12:04 PM EST
    I sincerely hope that there is a broadcaster in the US (sci-fi network!!!)who wants to pick up the show. I'd be extremely happy to see that. Of course, if there's a technical glitch, that's important to fix too, but I find it surprising that with the DVDs to have been released on 2/14/06 that we're just hearing about this now. Very odd.

I don't know much of how the industry works, but typically with other DVD releases, DVDs are pulled back from release because of a marketing issue: Releasing DVDs closer to a related film coming out in the movies, etc.

I'm hoping that a statement is put out soon. Has anyone written to the BBC and asked them?

Wednesday, January 11 2006 @ 03:59 PM EST

This stinks!

Frown

If it is a technical problem with the DVD itself, well, it is better that it is sorted out first before releasing it... but if it is due to other reasons, it just plain stinks.

So much for a Valentine's release... I thought the whole thing tying in with the two hearts worked well too... Wink

Oh well...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, January 11 2006 @ 04:08 PM EST
    Is this the new series box set you're talking about?

Maybe it has something to do with the new packaging since that is all that is different.

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Wednesday, January 11 2006 @ 04:51 PM EST

Maybe they had to fold the discs to fit them in the packaging... Evil

Taras

Wednesday, January 11 2006 @ 05:37 PM EST
    Maybe they TRIED folding all of the discs to make them fit in the packaging.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Wednesday, January 11 2006 @ 06:18 PM EST

Maybe, they labled them "Dr. Hu".

I had a thermodynamics professor by the name Dr. Hu in college. It was odd that his office was in the nuclear power lab...

Taras

Wednesday, January 11 2006 @ 06:22 PM EST
    I really hope it's a technical glitch, because teasing us like that just isn't a good way to run a business.

I'm not too surprised though, because when I checked this past Monday, Amazon still didn't have a release date for it.

Of course, if this means there's a TV deal in the works, that's great. But still, they got the series in Canada, why should they miss out?

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain

Wednesday, January 11 2006 @ 07:34 PM EST
    I wrote some feedback to the BBC, asking them why the DVDs aren't be released, but I've not received a reply. Frown

Thursday, January 12 2006 @ 02:52 AM EST
    It's always annoying when release dates get pushed back. At least in this case, though, I'd guess that they know that over-delaying it would be a bad thing. I do have a few possible thoughts on it, though.

* It could easily be a manufacturing glitch, and maybe linked to the R2/R4 problems.

* It's really popular, and well-known amongst long-term and net-savvy fans. It's always possible that pre-orders are reaching/exceeding current manufactured stock. And I'm sure that, pre-orders or not, they want them on the shelves.

* If it is related to a TV deal I can see how this would seem unfair for the Canadian customers but I can also kinda understand a double-delay in this case. They announced the US release after announcing the Canadian one, but are keeping for a simultaneous release date.
    If there is a TV-related delay they'll still be wanting both releases at the same time, as I'm pretty sure that they know that otherwise the American fans will just order from over the border. (And I'm guessing that getting DVDs from Canada is easier than from UK/Australia)

And one thought I just had...

* Maybe they had a look at the other Valentines Day releases, and decided that it just wasn't worth contending. (Or couldn't get decent in-store space until after whatever Valentines' promos had passed)

Tiggs

Tiggs Panther - Learning the hard way that a working chameleon circuit is not useful in a crowded parking lot.

Thursday, January 12 2006 @ 06:24 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] Or a deal for broadcast may be immanent and the potential broadcaster asked for a delay (one can hope Smile ). Who knows what is going on?

Hey, my suspisions were correct for once...

Taras

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 02:43 AM EST
    What's the latest on the Canadian DVD release? Is that still on for Feb. 14th, or has that actually been held back too?
    (I can easily see it going either way)

Tiggs

Tiggs Panther - Learning the hard way that a working chameleon circuit is not useful in a crowded parking lot.

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 03:32 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  TiggsPanther] What's the latest on the Canadian DVD release? Is that still on for Feb. 14th, or has that actually been held back too?
    (I can easily see it going either way)

Tiggs

According to Cynful456 in the Doctor Who on Sci-Fi thread, the Canada release is still set for the 14th... But when I checked the Amazon Canada online store, there's no listing for it yet. If it is the case, I will buy it from a Canada retailer instead of waiting until July.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, January 13 2006 @ 04:30 AM EST
    In the Last Post column at the moment for this forum it says:

On: Today at 02:32 AM
    Region 1 DVDs delayed
    By: Louis

Louis, you should be ashamed of yourself. Delaying the R1 DVD's and spoiling everyones chances of getting them earlier. Wink

Although I just realised - once I post this, it'll be me who is responsible!!! Eek!

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored