The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Louis Interviews Patrick Troughton (1986)
    Louis Interviews Patrick Troughton (1986)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Christopher Eccleston Era »  I Need to Make a Confession...
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    I Need to Make a Confession... Views: 2757
     Sunday, August 05 2007 @ 10:10 PM EDT
    I have to come clean to all you other Who fans. I have talked about this with others, but it is time for me to say it here...in public.

I HATE the character of Captain Jack...THERE...I have said it. It is out and done. sigh

I don't know why, from the moment he hit the screen, I hated him.

I think I need an intervention to discover WHY I hate the character...I know it isn't rational.

Everyone is excitedly talking about Torchwood debuting on US TV and I don't even want to watch it because Capt. Jack will be there.

I told you it isn't rational...help me get past the hate!

[Is there anyone else out there like me?]

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, August 06 2007 @ 07:12 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  ExtermaKnitter] I have to come clean to all you other Who fans. I have talked about this with others, but it is time for me to say it here...in public.

I HATE the character of Captain Jack...THERE...I have said it. It is out and done. sigh

I don't know why, from the moment he hit the screen, I hated him.

I think I need an intervention to discover WHY I hate the character...I know it isn't rational.

Everyone is excitedly talking about Torchwood debuting on US TV and I don't even want to watch it because Capt. Jack will be there.

I told you it isn't rational...help me get past the hate!

[Is there anyone else out there like me?]

Well if it's any help - Torchwood Jack is a 'different' Jack.

Many people who liked Jack in Doctor Who didn't like the 'new' Jack with responsiblities.

So I'd watch if I were you - there's a lot to recommend the show.

My fav episode is Episode 10 'Out of Time'

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, August 06 2007 @ 07:24 AM EDT
    I love Captain Jack in DW but he really makes my skin itch in 'Torchwood', I don't know why, he's cockier, thinks everyone finds him sexy and therefore wants to... you know Wink I suppose because Torchwood is for an older audience they can get away with it.

I do love him in DW though, pining after The Doctor lol!

I guess, to be honest I'd rather have CJ than scary monkey Owen!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 06 2007 @ 08:22 AM EDT
    What!! You don't like the Poor Man's Tom Cruise!!!! Wink

What exactly is it about the character that you dislike though? Is it the character traits or the way Barrowman plays it? I have to admit I thought you'd love the character so I was surprised you didn't like him.

http://themedusacascadegazette.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 06 2007 @ 08:27 AM EDT
    Lol!

To be honest, I like John Barrowman and CJ on DW, but for some reason I don't like him [CJ] in Torchwood, I don't hate him and I will watch the next series,I don't know, but there is something I dislike. Frown

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 06 2007 @ 08:54 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DJ] Lol!

To be honest, I like John Barrowman and CJ on DW, but for some reason I don't like him [CJ] in Torchwood, I don't hate him and I will watch the next series,I don't know, but there is something I dislike. Frown

In Torchwood he does seem to 'stage act' a bit - the extra movements like when he's pointing a gun - it shouts 'here I'm acting pointing a gun at someone and I really might shoot' - rather than TV acting with minimum movement 'It's all done with the eyes dear!'

If he hamed it up a bit more he'd be a shue-in for young Captain Kirk in Star Trek 11 Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, August 06 2007 @ 09:28 AM EDT
    I think that might be it Big Grin But don't you think John Barrowman is like that anyway? Very OTT?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, August 11 2007 @ 09:56 PM EDT
    Well, I could swear I had replied to this and I don't see the reply?

I have come to some realizations after watching the "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" again and talking to my Who bud, Lanaia.

I know part of it was I felt like the Capt Jack character was a "token" American (and I am American) placed in my British TV show. I was afraid it was just a ploy to get American viewers...I was bummed. I don't really know if that is really the case, and it probably isn't.

I also discovered in my talks with Lanaia...that the character of Capt. Jack reminds me of a complete giggelo player I knew in college. He was my friend's "boyfriend" (he was MANY girl's boyfriend-at the same time) and he totally disgusted me. I could never get why people weren't seeing through his fake, charming guy facade.

I found this to be the case with Capt. Jack...I didn't get why ROse would even like him? But then I am probably putting myself in her place. I would have been (and was) totally turned off, immediately, by the character.

I am glad I have come to an understanding of why I dislike the character so much. And it is just the character...I thought John was pretty funny on the commentary...

Saturday, August 11 2007 @ 11:43 PM EDT
    I've always been sort of "meh" about Jack.

In Series One, he was a bland and unimaginative stock character: the charming, flirtatious rogue. I didn't think he had good chemistry with the other characters.

In Torchwood, he's completely different, but he's still a bland and unimaginative stock character: The cop who plays dirty and has a tortured, mysterious past. I still didn't think he had great chemistry with the others.

However, in Series Three I began to like his character because it was a melding of the two different stock characters to come up with something more refreshingly different, and I thought he had fantastic chemistry with the Tenth Doctor and Martha.

One of the things that's always bothered me is that he's clearly meant to be American but he says things that Americans don't typically say, such as "lift," "car park," or "you lot."

In the finale of series three we found out a secret about Jack that (I think) makes him a more interesting character, and I hope we get to see that revelation reflected in the direction the character is taken in the next series of Torchwood.

tawm.net: read it. (please?)

Sunday, August 12 2007 @ 12:13 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tawm] One of the things that's always bothered me is that he's clearly meant to be American but he says things that Americans don't typically say, such as "lift," "car park," or "you lot."
    See, this doesn't bother me with Jack, but it did with Peri. Peri was a thoroughly American girl on a brief visit to Europe (not Britain, the continent). She would have had minimal cause to pick up Britishisms like this, and I found them jarring. But with Jack I accept it because he's establshed to have had, what, a century of British contact? He might not lose his American accent (alhtough, looking at the reverse case of Richard Dawson, it's not impossible), but he would certainly use nouns that made his life easier. It's just a thing ya do. If I'm in England, and I need to go to the bathroom, I'm askin' where the loo is, not getting into a semantic squabble over it.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Sunday, August 12 2007 @ 12:41 PM EDT
    I think thats the writer's fault more so than characterization about the "Britishisms" by American characters. This drove me crazy on the Dalek two parter this year in season 3. The American characters including the young kid from the South (I forget which Southern state) saying lift instead of elevator. As someone who's not seen a lot of the world how would he know that. Then I think Martha who is of course British uses the word elevator. I was like what is the writer doing here. That's sloppy.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, August 12 2007 @ 03:25 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] I think thats the writer's fault more so than characterization about the "Britishisms" by American characters. This drove me crazy on the Dalek two parter this year in season 3. The American characters including the young kid from the South (I forget which Southern state) saying lift instead of elevator. As someone who's not seen a lot of the world how would he know that. Then I think Martha who is of course British uses the word elevator. I was like what is the writer doing here. That's sloppy.
    See, I accepted this as an intelligent bit of writing.

The kid was from Tennessee, apparently Appalachia. The presumption I made was that he had never seen a proper passenger elevator before. He was, after all, freshly arrived in New York, and quite possibly had not stepped into one of the "fancy" buildings that had elevators. Elevators came to wide "city" use only after 1880, because that's when they first became electrified, and thus much more reliable and efficient. Tennessee was one of the most electricity-poor parts of the country until well after the setting of the story. HIs most likely encounter with the concept would've therefore been mine lifts (a name they still have even to this day), and grain elevators. Of the two of these, the mine lift is clearly more like a passenger elevator.

So it makes sense to me that as he groped around for the right word, he would've settled on "lift". And Martha's use of "elevator" is a clear attempt for our cosmopolitan young heroine to try to "fit in".

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, August 13 2007 @ 07:09 AM EDT
    ^Totally off topic but that reminds me of something I saw a few years back.

It was on The Late Show with David Letterman and he had Kenneth Branagh on.

At the time he was promoting the film, The Gingerbread Man directed by the late Robert Altman and based on a story/novel by John Grisham. A legal thriller set in the American southeast.

Brangah played the lead, a slick Atlanta lawyer who was being blackmailed etc.

He recalls where they were filming a scene where his character's children were I think kidnapped and was dumped in a lake so he'd been lead to believe by the psycho menacing him. So he's doing the scene where's he's frantic and his kids are trapped in the trunk of the car.
    In a thick Georgia accent Branagh's screaming, "My kids, my kids, they're in the boot, the boot!" Boot is British slang for a car trunk etc.

I went a long way for a little bit... Oops!

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 13 2007 @ 08:36 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] I think thats the writer's fault more so than characterization about the "Britishisms" by American characters. This drove me crazy on the Dalek two parter this year in season 3. The American characters including the young kid from the South (I forget which Southern state) saying lift instead of elevator. As someone who's not seen a lot of the world how would he know that. Then I think Martha who is of course British uses the word elevator. I was like what is the writer doing here. That's sloppy.
    See, I accepted this as an intelligent bit of writing.

The kid was from Tennessee, apparently Appalachia. The presumption I made was that he had never seen a proper passenger elevator before. He was, after all, freshly arrived in New York, and quite possibly had not stepped into one of the "fancy" buildings that had elevators. Elevators came to wide "city" use only after 1880, because that's when they first became electrified, and thus much more reliable and efficient. Tennessee was one of the most electricity-poor parts of the country until well after the setting of the story. HIs most likely encounter with the concept would've therefore been mine lifts (a name they still have even to this day), and grain elevators. Of the two of these, the mine lift is clearly more like a passenger elevator.

So it makes sense to me that as he groped around for the right word, he would've settled on "lift". And Martha's use of "elevator" is a clear attempt for our cosmopolitan young heroine to try to "fit in".

See that makes sense with an explanation, but the average viewer isnt as smart as you (because in reading a number of your posts you seem pretty brilliant) and so the viewer isn't going to know that. Its like, if you have to explain the joke, it isn't funny.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, August 14 2007 @ 06:07 PM EDT
    I have to say it wasn't Jack using the British terms that got me: when I'm in the UK, I call the elevator a lift, a truck a lorry, etc, and well, I have friends in Boston who call a parking lot a car park (or "cah pahk") so that wasn't a problem. It just eases conversation, at least in my opinion - sort of when in Rome....

What bothered me was in his first few lines of ep. 1 of Torchwood. "EASTrogen" instead of "ESTrogen." I guess I'm just going with, if you are playing American, use a standard American pronounciation. Whether you are going with a Southerner, a New Yorker, or the non-regional sounding Ohio Valley dialect (which is what I'd say John has in real life): just use something standard. I don't know... it's kind of like hearing someone playing Highland Scottish and having them say "lake" instead of "loch." It's off putting.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed