The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Jules Burt with Shaun Dingwall
    Jules Burt with Shaun Dingwall
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Christopher Eccleston Era »  Aliens of London Timeline question? (SPOILER..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Aliens of London Timeline question? (SPOILERS.. For 2+ eps Views: 1013
     Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 01:23 PM EDT
    This may have been addressed before, if so, please excuse me. Here's my question.

During the last Podcast when the guys were discussing Aliens of London, someone mentioned that it takes place 12 months after the Pilot episode (which, of course, it does) and in this episode we meet Harriet Jones.

Now, in the Christmas Invasion, we meet Harriet Jones again, and some time has obviously passed, but I'm quite certain that this is Christmas 2005 because of what was said during the Children in Need telethon when the Doctor changes course for Earth to take Rose home.

Anyone have any insights on this?

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 01:32 PM EDT
    Well from what you see in the shot of Big Ben bering repaired you would think it is Christmas time after the events of World War III becuase the clock is not fully repaired yet. Now how much time that would be between WWW 3 and thier Xmas arrival is hard to say. It was defnately longer than 10 secs so I would think that at least a few weeks/months has passed since Jackie and Mickey saw the Tardis leaves from that episode.

Keep in mind the Doctor and Rose come back to that time line in the parting of ways, well at least Rose does. So it would seem it is Xmas of the same year that WWW 3 took place in.

Cheers,
    Russel

I am the Master and you will obey me... Listen to Ramble with Russel at ramblingruss.libsyn.com

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 01:40 PM EDT
    Now hold on, let's not forget (SPOILERS)

In "World War III" the Doctor tells us that Harriet Jones is elected for three consecutive terms, and is the architect of Britain's Golden Age.

If that's true, and we know Harriet is taken down by six little words in "A Christmas Invasion", what does that then say about the time of "Christmas Invasion"?

He didn't say she was elected three consecutive times, indicating she may have called in-term elections, but ran three consecutive full terms.

"A Christmas Invasion" is likely somewhere in her third term, or at least late second, because the Doctor's rumor is supposed to take her down, even Russel T. Davies said that in his commentary.

So now how far into the future is "A Christmas Invasion", considering "Aliens of London/WWIII" happens a year after "Rose"?

Makes you think, no? Perhpaps Continuity is still something RTD has to work on?

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 02:05 PM EDT

(possible SPOILER) for those who have not seen the first season striaght through

Very True Sean and I hope I did not post anything too spoilery in my last post. Continuity has always been the bane of Science Fiction though. I have seen many of science ficiton /fantasy show that has a few plot holes in it during a run of series/season that never get addressed.

Cheers,
    Russel

I am the Master and you will obey me... Listen to Ramble with Russel at ramblingruss.libsyn.com

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 03:03 PM EDT
    Both of your comments are dead on right and give me more food for thought. It's interesting that I've seen all of the 2005 series through at least twice and this never occured to me until after listening to the last Podcast.

Oh well, perhaps I thinketh too much!

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 04:20 PM EDT
    okay, but..... (yes, spoilers about future events)
    So the Doctor said he knew her name b/c she was "the next coming" for England (my words, not his). Doesn't mean he wouldn't change that with a good reason. We know that the Doctor is all about not polluting the history timeline, but he does interfere and does pollute the timeline in every sense of the word. In The Long Game, it's supposed to be the 4th great and bountiful earth empire(or whatever the words were), but its not, so he makes changes without thinking about the consequences and leaves... without verifying he had corrected things, leading to The Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways, when we see how things really are messed up and why killing the news in episode 6 lead to the stagnation of earth culture in episode 12.

So he may have changed things, so what? That's why we love him.

Then again: Parliament may actually hold the No Confidence vote -- that holding the vote itself doesn't bring down her government, it may lead to elections, but perhaps the House of Commons instead votes strongly in support of her, and her government is shored up and she begins the golden era.

Just some thoughts.....

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 05:06 PM EDT

[spoilery?]It could also be that she is in the beginning of her terms in office (her general inexperience and the novelties of the job-personal asst. etc.). The Doctor may just be demonstrating that he could bring her government down if she does something like this again. Hey, maybe Britain's Golden Age may be the three term reign of a lame duck PM. Golden Ages are almost always referenced in hind sight. Then again, maybe the actress is afraid of being typecast and is no longer going to reprise the role, so the future history had to be rewritten to make up for this development...[/spoilery?]

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 05:54 PM EDT
    Please highlight:

Yes, the Doctor does tend to change history, but in general, when he remembers something as being the way it was, that remains. Any changes to history he makes are kept in his brain intact.

His snafu at the station to me is just him not being as careful of some of his facts as he is with others.

As for Harriet, however, I'm afraid according to RTD's commentary for A Christmas Invasion, she is in fact gone... the Doctor's six words to the job, and she's out.

And I doubt that that's only after less than a term in office as the Doctor recalls her spending three consecutive terms and ushering in a golden age.

Still, it's time travel. They can do what they want with it and no one can argue against it.

Even if it makes no sense.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 06:41 PM EDT

Retconning is so much fun... Smile

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, April 23 2006 @ 05:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    Then again: Parliament may actually hold the No Confidence vote -- that holding the vote itself doesn't bring down her government, it may lead to elections, but perhaps the House of Commons instead votes strongly in support of her, and her government is shored up and she begins the golden era.

She claims to have won a "landslide majority". Which means that the only possible way in which she can lose is if many members of her own party were to vote against her. Whilst this would effectivly finish her political career it would also mean a general election, not something those members of her own party who had just become MPs would want.
    Most likely "bring down her government" would equate to a drastic Cabinet Reshuffle. Undoubtedly very bad news for her Minister of Defence and probably the Foreign Secretary too.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored