The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Blue Box
    Blue Box
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Christopher Eccleston Era »  Father's Day - Discussion
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Father's Day - Discussion Views: 2240
     Friday, April 28 2006 @ 07:37 PM EDT
    Spoilers below, so if you haven't seen it and don't want to partake in this discussion, please move on.

So On Podshock 36, the guys reviewed "Father's Day" in a more-or-less spoiler-light way.

Let's have a serious discussion on the episode and why it is people find it hard to rate it highly because of how hard it is to re-watch, or because it's a smaller story than some of the larger epics.

I fully understand when Ken said that he considered it difficult to watch in the same way Schindler's List is hard to watch - and he's right.

It's like being at a family funeral. Not something you'd ever want to miss, but not something you want to relive over and over. And isn't that telling?

"It's like a famliy funeral."

We really feel a familial death in this episode, and it doesn't feel faked, made-up, or badly written. It really feels real.

This may not be an epic episode. It was described by Ken, Louis and James as a small, tight episode, and so it is.

But to me it’s one of the best of Season One because of how perfectly it explores relationships, something often thrown aside in science fiction.

Not THE best in the season, because "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" brings more overall to the table, and brings it on a grander scale, but I don't think that because TEC/TDD is a great epic that we can't rate "Father's Day" as a 5/5 as well, but on different criteria.

There are moments and nuances in this story that are breathtaking, and took me way off-guard when I first saw it because I just did not expect that level of emotional involvement in Doctor Who. Not even the death of Adric had me in tears, but this episode managed to do that on more than one occasion.

Some of the best moments of this series, which top most individual moments in any other episode, appear in this story and the character revelations are stunning, and previously unconsidered.

1) Jackie has built Pete up in Rose’s eyes so she could have this heroic father figure in her life even though he’s gone. This is not something we would have expected from Jackie, just knowing her from the previous episodes.

2) When Rose begins to see that it was all a lie, she must appreciate what her mother did for her in keeping that illusion alive.

3) When Pete begins to suspect what’s going on, he shows he isn’t the worthless layabout Jackie thought him to be. He proved he had a brain in his head, and put two and two together right enough.

4) When he asks Rose what kind of father he was, and she tells him about how he read to her, and all that, Pete is smart enough to realize that Rose is talking about an image of him as a father, and not the reality of him as a father. He says perhaps the most telling line of the whole episode – “That’s not me.” It's heart-wrenching when he makes that realization - that he's not supposed to be alive, and missed being a father to Rose.

5) And when he realizes what he has to do, he does it. This makes him far greater a hero than Jackie made him out to be all those years, proving to Rose he WAS the heroic father figure she only ever had in her mind, growing up. But now she has him for real.

This moment, combined with the moment in "Parting of the Ways/Bad Wolf" at the restaurant where Rose tells Jackie that she met her father, are the two pinnacle emotional moments in Season one for me. They belong alongside the moment when the Dalek first speaks in “Dalek”, and when the Empty Child says “Are you my Mummy”, and the subsequent revelation about Nancy, and a certain holographic message we get later (no spoilers here)

I can't agree that this one must be rated below 5/5 in order to make room for TEC/TDD... they are both 5/5 in my book, but on two separate levels.

I often rate "Father's Day" the best episode of the whole series so far due to the fact that it came alongside and smacked me in the head with something I never expected to get out of Doctor Who - REAL Emotion, and REAL empathy for these made-up characters.

Kudos to the writer. I think he deserves not only an award for this episode, but a medal.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, April 28 2006 @ 07:47 PM EDT
    Great post Sean! I think that fact that the episode is so powerful, so effective and still makes an impact on repeated viewings is all the more reason to give it a high rating.

It was my favourite episode of the first series. Paul Cornell takes what in some ways is a very classic kind of Doctor Who plot (base under siege), wraps it in a time travel story and delivers the most emotional writing that the tv series has ever seen. "Father's Day" also makes the best use of the 45 minute format of any episode of the first series. There's just enough there to fill the episode with great pacing and not a hint that the story could have used an extra 5, 10, 30, 45 minutes to be fully fleshed out.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 28 2006 @ 08:24 PM EDT
    To me, this episode is where the season really hits its stride. I find the episodes from Father's Day through The Parting of the Ways to be excellent and engaging.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 28 2006 @ 09:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Drood] To me, this episode is where the season really hits its stride. I find the episodes from Father's Day through The Parting of the Ways to be excellent and engaging.

For me it was Dalek where I thought the series got into high gear. Father's Day was a good episode, however, paradox stories often make my head explode. It was handled well in Father's Day, but there was a bit of a narative mess.

Darryl

Hold it up to the light, not a brain in sight. The Goon Show , The Scarlet Capsule
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 28 2006 @ 10:03 PM EDT
    Ok just watched Fathers Day and cried my eyes out...... Cry Cry What a great episode. But where the trailer for next weeks.?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 29 2006 @ 12:36 AM EDT
    My boyfriend and I watched "Father's Day" together and he said it was very difficult to watch. Mainly because his father died a year ago from a heart-attack and this seemed to really hit home for him.

Sunday, April 30 2006 @ 12:09 AM EDT
    I rate Father's Day pretty high, as well. I really liked the character of Rose's dad. In the latest Podshock K/L/J mentioned that Peter makes another appearance later in the series and, for the life of me, I can't remember that. I've seen them all, but I'm drawing a blank. Can anyone help me out?

One small thing they did in this story that really stuck with me was the concept that buildings and structures that have been around for a long time were safe havens from the time-reaper creatures. I don't know why, I just thought that was a really cool throw-away idea that you might miss if you're not paying attention.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 30 2006 @ 02:23 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    I can't agree that this one must be rated below 5/5 in order to make room for TEC/TDD... they are both 5/5 in my book, but on two separate levels.

I often rate "Father's Day" the best episode of the whole series so far due to the fact that it came alongside and smacked me in the head with something I never expected to get out of Doctor Who - REAL Emotion, and REAL empathy for these made-up characters.

Kudos to the writer. I think he deserves not only an award for this episode, but a medal.

Sean.

Sean, you may have a very valid point there and perhaps I should reevaluate it for the reason you stated above... as I mentioned in my review, I couldn't find any fault with the episode and nothing that I could point to in order to improve upon it.

One thing I did want to say in my review, but didn't have the opportunity is that I actually feel more emotions watching this episode today, than I did last year when it was first transmitted. Perhaps because I have gown to know Rose more now and feel for her even more strongly now.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, April 30 2006 @ 02:28 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]...
    In the latest Podshock K/L/J mentioned that Peter makes another appearance later in the series and, for the life of me, I can't remember that. I've seen them all, but I'm drawing a blank. Can anyone help me out?

It is actually hasn't happened yet, as it takes place in this year's series ("Series 2")... That's all I will say so not to spoil it any further, even though it's pretty much given away if you go back to Doctor Who: Podshock Episode 15 when we interviewed Jules Burt.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, April 30 2006 @ 12:25 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  voradams]
    [Quote  by:  Drood] To me, this episode is where the season really hits its stride. I find the episodes from Father's Day through The Parting of the Ways to be excellent and engaging.

For me it was Dalek where I thought the series got into high gear. Father's Day was a good episode, however, paradox stories often make my head explode. It was handled well in Father's Day, but there was a bit of a narative mess.

Darryl

Yeah, I like Dalek a lot, and while I don't mind The Long Game, it's not my favorite so there's a bit of a slowdown there that picks up again for me with Father's Day then really takes off with the arc in The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 30 2006 @ 12:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]...it's pretty much given away if you go back to Doctor Who: Podshock Episode 15 when we interviewed Jules Burt.

Thanks, Louis. I assumed you meant that you didn't want to spoil the Sci-Fi watchers. I hadn't found and started listening to Podshock until around ep 29, and I haven't gotten around to listening to back episodes (except for ep 1, I had to hear how it started).

-LS (Chicago, IL)

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 01 2006 @ 09:01 AM EDT
    An excellant story very heartwarming and like the new episode school reunion leaves a lump in the throat.

Dr Who is back baby Yeah !!!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 01 2006 @ 10:12 AM EDT
    I have to agree with everything Sean had to say,

I watched it again on Friday for the 3rd or 4th time
    and my wife said to me "Are you going to cry again"
    and I said "Probably!".

This episode always gets to me... I'm not sure why..
    maybe bacause I have a little boy... dunno, but as
    soon as Rose's dad holds her face and says "Rose, who am I?"
    and she says almost child-like "Your my Daddy" the
    water-works start.

I think it's a great sign though... I used to be just
    entertained by this show... but I can't remember even as
    a kid crying at anything I saw in Doctor Who. I think
    it's Kudos to the team that they can bring that level of emotion to a 45 min show.

"Oh and Yes... I did interview Gigi Edgley.. just in case you were wondering... yes Gigi... Chiana from Farscape, Yup I interviewed her... in person you know...
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 01 2006 @ 12:09 PM EDT
    I do agree that this is a stellar episode. I just couldn't watch it again. I would absolutely put it up as my favorite of stand alone episode of the season (but empty child/doctor dances are really my favorite). Its just so hard to watch. Its a train wreck - you know its coming but you cannot turn your head!

I cried when Rose said "Your my Daddy." I cried more when she held his hand while he died. I really cannot wait to see Pete again in the alternate reality episode coming up in series 2.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 02 2006 @ 11:05 PM EDT
    I loved the "Unquiet Dead" but "Father's Day" is one of my new favorite stories of the entire series. Sometimes I wish that they had the longer formats of the old serials, but I'm enjoying the economy of narrative. It never feels like a moment is wasted, where when you watch some of the old Troughton or Hartnell stories and it feels like a lot is added for padding. The new show is so straight ahead. Plus, the humor and the pacing is so much faster that I have to watch it twice in order to catch everything. As an American, I'm not that familiar with the accents and colloquialisms (I practically needed a study guide for Trainspotting.) But that's part of what makes it fun to watch and different than anything else out there.

As for Father's Day, I'm a sucker for paradoxes, but it's more than that. I really love how they've humanized Rose to the point that we know a lot about her. She's fully fleshed out and believable and her relationship with the Doctor is awesome. Of course, everyone assumes they're a romantic couple, because that's how we, in this society, associate others. She's a proper character and we're getting to know as much about her in a single season as we do about the Doctor.

I've been a Doctor Who fan since I was little and I first saw The Hand of Fear on the PBS station in Milwaukee. It's been my favorite sci-fi series since that day and I have to say that I'm enjoying it now more than I ever have.

SUNSPOT - Arena rock for geeks from Madison, WI- http://www.sunspotmusic.com - http://www.loseroftheyear.com - BLOG

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored