The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Doctor 3 Character Tankard
    Doctor 3 Character Tankard
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Christopher Eccleston Era »  Well America - what did you think of 'The Emp..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Well America - what did you think of 'The Empty Child'? Views: 2736
     Sunday, May 07 2006 @ 02:59 PM EDT
    It's been a couple of days since 'The Empty Child' screened and no thread about it yet - so I'm asking - what did you think?

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, May 07 2006 @ 05:50 PM EDT
    I originally saw this episode last summer and I have to say that it's one of my favorites from Series 1. I enjoyed the suspense and on the first watch I really did not know where the episode was headed. I think that the mood and fear captured in the episode comes through nicely. As for the cliff hanger, you can't beat it. Again, watching it for the first time, I didn't know that there would be a part 2. Excellent episode. I really enjoyed it.

Sunday, May 07 2006 @ 06:13 PM EDT
    I too watched this when it was new last year. I like it. I don't think I like it as much as most everyone else on here, but I think it is quite good. I really like Captain Jack and I really like the concept of the episode. I don't think the special effects stand up very well in some spots. I think that the German air raid looks great, but the transformation of the doctor (the medical doctor, not our gallifreyan hero) was poorly done. As far as the two parter goes, I enjoyed the latter of these better, but this still stands up.

Heath Holland

Sunday, May 07 2006 @ 06:41 PM EDT
    I watched this around last New Years and maybe even out of order ("The Doctor Dances" first).

I think some are ready to rank this as the best of Series One (Hi Ken!) but I wouldn't go that far. I actually got tired of hearing "mommy" the first time through. It was a little weird but then the 2nd part answers all questions.

There is some great imagery with the bombing over London, Rose in the Union Jack outfit (Def Leopard fan??), the drinks by Big Ben, the status beam catching Rose, etc. And of course the introduction of Captain Jack.

I'd give this a 4.25 out of 5.

Sunday, May 07 2006 @ 11:49 PM EDT
    Absolutely the creepiest episode of Doctor Who ever.

Best use of the child as a point of horror, and best mood-setting episode... ever!

When I watched this last year, it was very early Sunday morning, and it creeped me out seriously.

This is one of those episodes I must give top marks.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, May 07 2006 @ 11:54 PM EDT

Dave,

I saw this last year after the UK release of the third volume of the vanilla discs and felt it was the best story (with The Doctor Dances) of Series One. It seems that there is more discussion on the boards regarding the newly broadcasted episodes (in the UK) than the US run.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, May 08 2006 @ 12:01 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] ... It seems that there is more discussion on the boards regarding the newly broadcasted episodes (in the UK) than the US run.

That is an interesting observation. It's true. I think so many of the people that post here are among the die-hard fans which have already seen the 2005 series (probably multiple times) since they were first transmitted in the UK last year regardless of where they happen to live.

Though it's always nice to hear feedback from people who are just now seeing the 2005 series for the first time. Lately, my time has been so limited that I haven't been on the Sci-Fi Channel boards at all (or for that matter, anywhere else) where many of the "newbie" viewers are probably actively posting.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, May 08 2006 @ 07:16 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Dave,

I saw this last year after the UK release of the third volume of the vanilla discs and felt it was the best story (with The Doctor Dances) of Series One. It seems that there is more discussion on the boards regarding the newly broadcasted episodes (in the UK) than the US run.

Taras

I think you are right.

By the way - I think it is a great story (2 parter) an it was certainly the most atmospheric episode.

Other points:-

The transfomation of the medical doctor - it was just about OK.

But remember the first series was wasn't made in HD whereas - although for the moment we are seeing the SD pictures - this second series is being made in High Def meaning all aspects of the costume and effects will have to be stepped up.

Great episode, cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, May 08 2006 @ 11:17 AM EDT
    This episode and "The Doctor Dances" are my favorite. Not just b/c I adored the introduction of Captain Jack either. I love the use of the WWII as the backdrop, the terror of the Nazi Blitz, the kids "left over" after the evacuation from London, the whole historical backdrop.

A friend, who adamently refused to see the episodes before they were shown in the US called me firs thing after the episode aired. She said she was absolutely terrified by it! It was frightening!! And the fact that a child and a bunch of people wearing gas masks scared her is thrilling her to death! She's definitely glad she waited -- and is pestering me with questions about what happens next.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 09 2006 @ 07:52 PM EDT
    I really enjoyed it. The eerie gas-mask faces are great, and there is a nice balance between humor and horror.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 09 2006 @ 10:08 PM EDT
    I think it is a little premature to ask what America thinks.

It is a little like asking what did you think of the cream without the strawberries.

It is a two parter and the 2nd parter still has to be shown. The Empty child can really only be judged in the context that you are asking after The Doctor Dances airs.

Possibly some of the people who have heard the talk about these episodes are currently wondering what the fuss is about.

Good question..... wrong time.

I personally think that viewed together these are some of the best Doctor Who episodes ever (although the way the current series is going that may not last, I think this series is generally stronger so far.)I think that this in part is in the way the war time atmosphere is captured. Yes people did not ride around on blimps but that is artistic licence. The story was hard to pull holes in and the sfx was excellent.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Wednesday, May 10 2006 @ 01:20 AM EDT
    It may be only one episode of a two-parter, but it was an episode, and people can definitely discuss what they thought of it, even before seeing part 2.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Saturday, May 13 2006 @ 11:49 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf] I think it is a little premature to ask what America thinks.

It is a two parter and the 2nd parter still has to be shown. The Empty child can really only be judged in the context that you are asking after The Doctor Dances airs.

OK - the second episode has gone out - so anymore thoughts America?

Cheers, daveac

Saturday, May 13 2006 @ 03:15 PM EDT
    I saw this one last year when it had originally aired. I really enjoyed it. Probably my favorite part is when Captain Jack tried using the psychic paper on Rose and it told her that he was single and that he worked out.

Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 15 2006 @ 10:06 PM EDT
    These last two episodes were great. The little boy was creepy enough and I like the positive out come of it. I thought it was great the for once The Doctor got what he wanted, for once everyone lives!!!
    I really do love this show and look forward to it every Friday.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored