The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    TARDIS in the Cardiff Exhibition
    TARDIS in the Cardiff Exhibition
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Christopher Eccleston Era »  2005 Series DVD Box Set
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    2005 Series DVD Box Set Views: 3002
     Saturday, November 26 2005 @ 03:17 PM EST
    For those who have received their DVD Box Set of the 2005 series with Christopher Eccleston, please let us know your reactions to it. How is the 5.1 audio mix? What's your take on the extras (outside of the abbreviated Confidential series)?

As a reminder to everyone, the box set is only available currently as region 2 PAL DVD set at this time. In February 2006, a region 1 NTSC version will be released in Canada (which will play in North America region 1 DVD players including the US).

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, November 28 2005 @ 02:11 AM EST
    Louis,

I got my set in the post Saturday. I haven't had much time to rewatch the episodes, as I was working on updating my astrophoto site (first time in 26 months... at least it wasn't 16 years), and watching a few eps of Blakes 7, as the package also included the first 3 season box sets. I did breeze trough many of the extras, though.

Episode 14 of Confidential covers The Christmas Invasion and thus has a few spoilers.

I liked how at the end of the John Barrowman extra, he is pleading for a Captain Jack spinoff series. There are a few interesting behind the scenes segments, but many of the segments are amatuerish "home video" type stuff. I did find out that they got the clockface of Big Ben reversed in the crash scene. The segments I liked most were how the effects were made. They did include the BBC teasers/trailers, which we who do not get the Beeb could only see in Real Player, or sometimes WMV format in a postage stamp size on the BBC Who site. It was good to see them on a telly.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, December 19 2005 @ 03:58 PM EST
    I will be getting the set in February when it is availlable over here, as I live outside the UK. I am looking forward to seeing Doctor Number Nine go through his paces. Not to mention a chance to see the lovely Billie Piper in action.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 01:22 AM EST
    I've ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk and should be receiving it soon... I'm a Canadian but just couldn't wait 'til Feb!

Is it just me or is the UK box set thicker than the US version? That's what I got from the pix...

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 03:04 AM EST
    Yes, I do believe that the region 1 box set is thinner and less box-like than the region 2 box set. I suppose they going the way of a less elaborate package. Which may not be a bad thing, if you are like me and have so many DVDs... thinner is better because I can fit more on the same shelf space.

And as I said in the news article, we all know it is bigger on the inside anyway! Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 04:23 AM EST
    [Quote And as I said in the news article, we all know it is bigger on the inside anyway!

Laughing Out Loud Excellent!!! Laughing Out Loud

Can I ask a question to my American cousins (and any other overseas distant relatives!!!) - Louis quipped about the Tardis there - ove in the UK the Tardis is often quoted when anything is designed as suprisingly spacious inside.

At the moment there are lots of property programmes on the telly, and almost every evening someone will describe the inside of the house as "like a Tardis", whe I was looking at houses the other year, people would say "it's like a Tardis in there", when looking at small cars the salesman might say "It might look small form the outside - but it's like a Tardis!".

Quick Question
    - As Dr. Who is a household name and an institution in the UK the Tardis has become a term used regularly, is it also used often in the US outside of Doctor Who circles?

(Sorry if this is a tad off-topic, I wasn't sure that it warranted a thread of it's own - unlike the Dalek cake of course! Laughing Out Loud )

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 04:34 AM EST
    As a person with no Doctor Who fans anywhere near me I can say that no-one and I mean no-one who isn't a Doctor Who fan (or happens to live with one) will know what a TARDIS is.
    It just isn't an institution here like it is in the UK.

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 05:04 AM EST
    Well that answers that then! I thought that might be the case. It's amazing how culturally embedded Doctor Who is over here. I'd be surprised if any adults around me didn't know what a dalek was, or what the Tardis is. I bet more people in the UK could describe a Dalek than say, a Storm Trooper.

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 05:44 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Dangermouse] I bet more people in the UK could describe a Dalek than say, a Storm Trooper.

Unless of course they're aged over 60 - in which case the term Storm Trooper has a slightly different connotation. Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 22 2005 @ 09:03 AM EST
    Actually, during the average work day, I could turn to any one of my co-workers, mention TARDIS, and he or she will know exactly what I'm talking about.

(I'm in the US too)

Well, my case is likely very different from Warren's. I work in a computer game company! :-)

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Saturday, December 24 2005 @ 01:52 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Dangermouse]
    [Quote And as I said in the news article, we all know it is bigger on the inside anyway!

Laughing Out Loud Excellent!!! Laughing Out Loud

Can I ask a question to my American cousins (and any other overseas distant relatives!!!) - Louis quipped about the Tardis there - ove in the UK the Tardis is often quoted when anything is designed as suprisingly spacious inside.

At the moment there are lots of property programmes on the telly, and almost every evening someone will describe the inside of the house as "like a Tardis", whe I was looking at houses the other year, people would say "it's like a Tardis in there", when looking at small cars the salesman might say "It might look small form the outside - but it's like a Tardis!".

Quick Question
    - As Dr. Who is a household name and an institution in the UK the Tardis has become a term used regularly, is it also used often in the US outside of Doctor Who circles?

(Sorry if this is a tad off-topic, I wasn't sure that it warranted a thread of it's own - unlike the Dalek cake of course! Laughing Out Loud )

I have seen the TARDIS used a term to describe spacious places in the UK media... but never in the US. The mainstream public here would have no clue whatsoever what you mean if you used TARDIS or TARDIS-like to describe something. Only the DW fans here would understand what you meant.

I would describe my automobile as TARDIS-like, but I get mostly blank looks when I do, so I have to describe it as "bigger on the inside than it appears on outside."

Thankfully, there is very little about me that is "mainstream" here in the States.

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, February 18 2006 @ 06:33 PM EST

My DVD box set arrived of the 2005 series! Yeppie!

To answer one of my own questions concerning it. Yes, it does have a 5.1 Digital Dolby mix! Although the dialogue sounded a bit lower in the mix than it should have, but perhaps that was deliberate so that people would raise the volume and make the other elements sound lounder (i.e. explosions, incidental music, etc.).

I've only tackled disc 1 so far... I am happy to see so many extras included outside of the Confidential series. An interesting interview with Christopher Eccleston from BBC Breakfast... a Making of Doctor Who with Russell T Davies, and more.

Cool stuff.. Cool

The image quality is superb... and the 5.1 audio is a delight.

Well, I am still going through it all...

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, February 18 2006 @ 09:28 PM EST
    I got my DVD set on Tuesday here in Vancouver. So far the best place to buy it here seems to be A&B Sound as it's around $87 where everywhere else is around $99.
    I LOVE the dvd. Worth every penny. I prefer DVD box sets that have individual thin sleves for each DVD, unlike this where you have to take the slip cover off and then fold the whole thing out, but it is such a fun looking little box (I'm so glad we didn't get the clunky British box which from all acounts took up a ton of room, fell apart easily, and wouldn't stay closed.
    The opening of the DVD and the menu reveal itself got me excitited. It's a little computer-graphicy, but just the right tone. Even before the shows began I was happy. The music used as you float around the Tardis control panel is just hauntingly beautiful and nice to hear outside of the episode themselves.
    I love all the commentaries. For each episode a new mix of people are thrown together to discuss each episode. My favorite is "Captain Jack" John Barrowman whose love of the show is totally infectious. Each episode he does commentary on he and the other talkers pick a strange word to inject into their discussion, then reveal the word at the end. Silly, but a fun idea.
    This is one of the clearest DVDs I've ever seen. Crystal clear. I was a little sad that the connfidentials were just dealing with the new Doctor. We never got the confidentials here in Canada, but sometimes we would get a little Doctor Who history lesson at the end of the episode on the CBC, and they aren't on here. Also some of the music has changed in the confidentials (probably rights issues).
    Still, this is a great DVD package. i wasn't disappointed at all.
    One strange thing is that the DVD didn't really get any press at all. Little mentions in the daily free papers, but nothing I could find elsewhere. I think this should be touted a bit more. I know I'm biased but I think this deserves a good focusing on.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, February 18 2006 @ 11:37 PM EST

Yeah, the Confidential series are the shorter "Cut Down" versions with all the bits from the 'classic' series cut out.... unfortunately. It is shame... I feel it is important to keep that included to tie the new with the old... Oh well.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, February 19 2006 @ 12:26 AM EST

I have added some photos of the new region 1 DVD Box Set of the 2005 series in an album within our Gallery here.

Cheers,
    Louis

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic