The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Ace's Costume
    Ace's Costume
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Christopher Eccleston Era »  Boom Town discussion
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Boom Town discussion Views: 2230
     Friday, May 19 2006 @ 10:34 PM EDT
    well, is anyone out there seeing this for the first time?
    I really enjoy this episode. It touches on something that Doctor Who glosses over alot, and that is consequences of past action. Too often does the doctor save the day and then hop into the tardis and onto the next adventure. This episode is about being forced to look at a consequence face to face and deal with it.
    Also, I liked the emotion in Mickey's speech. I really felt for him, and I even agreed with him. I love how this show adresses the people who get left behind.

Heath Holland
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, May 20 2006 @ 12:10 AM EDT

"What are you captain of? The innuendo squad?"

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, May 20 2006 @ 07:40 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007]Also, I liked the emotion in Mickey's speech. I really felt for him, and I even agreed with him. I love how this show adresses the people who get left behind.

Yes. When I saw that episode a while ago, it was very interesting. As has been said on past Podshocks, the previous companions never revisited their lives to see the consequences. They had little to go back to.

The closest that the old series ever came to this (that I'm aware of - feel free to correct me, I'm mainly aware of post-Fourth Doctor serials) is when Ace goes back home in 'Survival' (Seventh Doctor serial). When she did get back, no one yelled, there were no missing signs, and no one fainted. As memory serves, her friends just said 'Hey, you've been missing a while! How are you going?' and moved on to deal with the episode's crisis. Afterwards, Ace effectively told the Doctor that she didn't want to stay in Perivale having finally returned, but that she wanted to go back home - the TARDIS.

That has been the show's previous attitude - those who go with the Doctor have nothing behind, and those who are left behind have no special relationship with the character in question.

Ace's return is the closest example - and doesn't even resemble Rose's situation. So yes, Mickey's intense reaction, that he still hasn't moved on after a year (and however many days or months later), is in incredible contrast.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 20 2006 @ 09:32 AM EDT
    I saw it for the first time.

I too felt the emotion for Mickey's speech, but Rose is sort of being split two ways.

This one is like the last one too. Everyone survives/makes it.

-Tanner

Tanner S.

Saturday, May 20 2006 @ 11:03 AM EDT
    One of my favorite episodes, though I'm not quite sure why I like it so much, must be the Slitheen.

Found it a little heavy on the death penalty issue, but I just ignored that (knowing that this is written for the Brits where there is no death penalty anymore).

LOVE Margaret's little diatribe about "the whole southwest coast could" fall into the sea and London won't notice; "I sound like a Welshman!" gives me a smile everytime.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 20 2006 @ 05:10 PM EDT
    I agree, you see that Mickey's heart is broken in this episode. It's certainly a testament to what a great actor Noel Clarke is. Poor Mickey goes through so much, from being teased by the Doctor to being accused of Rose's murder in her absence.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 20 2006 @ 08:37 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]Found it a little heavy on the death penalty issue, but I just ignored that (knowing that this is written for the Brits where there is no death penalty anymore).

Thats not actually true - technically speaking you can still face the death penalty for treason in the UK, although it is a long time since anybody faced execution for any treasonous actions - maybe considering how many Prime Ministers and others in high office we have had who have commited acts tantamount to treason its understandable why not.

You are rogue elements... You are incompatible... You will be... Deleted!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 22 2006 @ 11:30 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Delete!]
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]Found it a little heavy on the death penalty issue, but I just ignored that (knowing that this is written for the Brits where there is no death penalty anymore).

Thats not actually true - technically speaking you can still face the death penalty for treason in the UK, although it is a long time since anybody faced execution for any treasonous actions - maybe considering how many Prime Ministers and others in high office we have had who have commited acts tantamount to treason its understandable why not.

That's a good point. I had forgotten about the treason issue.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 25 2006 @ 09:32 AM EDT
    Quite a few fans in the UK didnt like this one but I thought it was good, an excellant charector peice. before the season biggie.

Dr Who is back baby Yeah !!!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 30 2006 @ 05:48 PM EDT
    I'm gonna go on record and say this is actually my favorite episode of the Eccleston era. And I know precisely why I like it so much.

I love a full TARDIS done right. Every companion in the story has something to actually do, and they all have a unique viewpoint on the events unfolding. For my money the first fifteen minutes of the show were just about pitch perfect. Breezy, funny, well timed, musically well-orchestrated. The last 30 were delightfully substantive explorations both the Doctor and Rose, with tough questions being asked by their respective "dates".

And Mickey, I think, gets some to-this-point-in-the-series untapped development from Jack. Whereas his character had mostly, to this point, been about "Oh, no, Rose has left me for an alien", Jack gives him a definition of "heroic" that is human-specific. In other words, he's just a guy like Mickey, and he's obviously got the attention of Rose and the respect of the Doctor. I think it's here that we really see Mickey understanding he threw away an opportunity earlier on. His instant disdain for Jack is just cover, I think, for disappointment in his own failure to seize the brass ring when offered to him. His "suspicious assistance" of the Doctor in "Aliens of London" I think melts when he sees someone else traveling with the Doctor. That could have been, and should have been, Mickey. And while you do still have Mickey attempting to project himself between the Doctor and Rose from this episode forward, Mickey turns the corner here away from suspicion to full-on recognition of the Doctor as a force for good. He's never again reluctant to help the Doctor.

Equally important to this episode is the plot itself. It's the absolute lynchpin of the entire series. If you're looking for a point at which all the overarching themes and plot threads join up, it's right here, appropriately in the heart of Cardiff. Everything—the nature of being a companion, the ripple effects of time travel, the Bad Wolf scenario, the Jack/Torchwood thing, the Slitheen, the Doctor's lifestyle—they all get dealt with in this one episode that so many people feel "lacks action".

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Wednesday, May 31 2006 @ 05:16 PM EDT
    I thought the acting was well done and some of the camera angles and such were interesting. The "date" the Doctor had with the Lord Mayor was interesting.

Loved when The Doctor said "She's climbing out of the window..."

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 10 2006 @ 01:42 AM EDT
    Because of the discussion on the recent Podshock, I decided to rewatch this episode recently, and I noticed a quote that didn't quite make sense. I'm wondering if anyone can explain it to me.

'Anyone capable of rescuing me would have to have considerable technology of their own - and therefore they would be captivated by the extrapolator! Especially a magpie mind like yours, Doctor.' - Margaret

Can anyone justify this claim that the Doctor has a 'magpie mind'? I just can't see that being a just comment somehow...

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 10 2006 @ 11:49 AM EDT

If one consults the Wikipedia | European Magpie entry, one see some folklore associated with the magpie. This could be another of those hidden memes in the series with at least two stories of series two having a bit to do with the magpie theme, either covertly or overtly... "Hello, Mr Magpie."

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, February 15 2007 @ 02:14 AM EST
    one of my favorite moments from the 9th doctor episodes was with the dinner with the slithen lady (can't remember her name!) and she keeps trying to kill him and the doctor keeps stoping her!

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, March 01 2007 @ 04:53 PM EST
    When I first saw Boom Town I really didnt think much of it; And I'd still say it's about the least re-watchable episodes from this series (I don't recall ever watching the DVD), but I've warmed to it since the night it appeared.......

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed